The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #301
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueflame View Post
For sure this season, the living were far more dangerous/treacherous than the dead. Neither Andrea nor Lori will be missed much... both were pretty much useless and annoying to boot.
Yes the end of the world needs more wiener and less va jay jay...
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #302
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It's interesting that tv-Andrea got knocked off since comic-Andrea is one of the few original characters remaining. Obviously there're a whole host of differences between the two TWD versions, but I think given the character arc they put Andrea through on the show, it was probably a good decision. Comic-Andrea is a complete bad@ss, but tv-Andrea's actress just didn't convey that strength or resilience as much, so I think it's fitting that they ended her character.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:48 AM   #303
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Yes the end of the world needs more wiener and less va jay jay...
Dunno about that... my guess is anyone would have to be pretty much insane to mess with Michonne... she'd kick their butt and not even break a sweat.

They still have ladies on the show... Michonne is the most interesting female character but Maggie, Carol, and Beth are still alive and there's the survivor from the Governor's army as well as the lady with Tyreece.

Noteworthy: Michonne didn't whine or complain even when she realized that Rick had seriously considered sacrificing her to save the others. Unlike Andrea and Lori, Michonne isn't an annoying drama queen. And in her limited time with the group she's already proven to be 10 times more attentive and maternal to Carl than Lori ever was.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #304
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Assassin View Post
Vikings has me hooked, as well.

With Spartacus & Walking Dead wrapping up, I'm glad I have another show to look forward to.

I always knew Spartacus was a ridiculous show. Having a fairly important historical figure ass raped kind of destroyed any desire I have to watch the show going forward.

Vikings...Im not sure about that one. Pacing is a bit off. Hopefully that will improve with time.

Last edited by Archer81; 04-02-2013 at 07:18 AM..
Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 AM   #305
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

that kid in Spartacus rapes everyone. Don't drop the soap around him.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #306
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I was really disappointed in the finale and I'm tired of the Governors character. To leave that story line unresolved after giving it a full season was just plain disatisfying to me.

I also agree this show doesn't belong in the same conversation with The Wire, Mad Men and others. I'm not even sure it belongs in the same conversation as Sons of Anarchy. There was just so much filler in this season that I probably won't watch next year.

I remember I started watching because the walkers were the primary antagonists, something to be feared and run away from but now they are an afterthought, see Zombie shoot in head. NEXT!

What would save the show for me is the discovery that they have somewhere they need to go for a reason, then the characters that get in the way have some purpose for being there. The whole thing with the Governor was just a glorified WWE grudge match and I really didn't find myself caring about the characters any more at the end of the season than the beginning.

To sum it up: Bleagh, weak failsauce.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #307
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I was really disappointed in the finale and I'm tired of the Governors character. To leave that story line unresolved after giving it a full season was just plain disatisfying to me.
Ij
I also agree this show doesn't belong in the same conversation with The Wire, Mad Men and others. I'm not even sure it belongs in the same conversation as Sons of Anarchy. There was just so much filler in this season that I probably won't watch next year.

I remember I started watching because the walkers were the primary antagonists, something to be feared and run away from but now they are an afterthought, see Zombie shoot in head. NEXT!

What would save the show for me is the discovery that they have somewhere they need to go for a reason, then the characters that get in the way have some purpose for being there. The whole thing with the Governor was just a glorified WWE grudge match and I really didn't find myself caring about the characters any more at the end of the season than the beginning.

To sum it up: Bleagh, weak failsauce.
I don't think TWD would've made it to season 3,if the zombies were the only antagonists. Not a fan of the governor either but the show has developed into something more than just zombies. TWD is a success because it's more than just about zombies.
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #308
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I've seen a few comments here and elsewhere talking about how "TWD used to be about the zombies". I have a hard time remembering what has and hasn't occurred in the show, but hasn't Rick had his speech about how the survivors are 'the Walking Dead'? The people who are still alive have always been the focus of TWD, and a major theme in almost all post-apocalyptic fiction is that the human society that remains and rebuilds has the most dangerous elements, not the original insult (zombies, plague, robots, radiation, aliens, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I think the show is not all that strong either. The plot is unevenly paced and full of some gaping holes that defy logic. I just wanted to address the "show isn't about zombies anymore" complaint.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #309
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Why does everyone hate the governor character? I would fully expect people like him at the end of the world.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #310
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Why does everyone hate the governor character? I would fully expect people like him at the end of the world.
He's the prototypical villain... but everyone hates him because he's insane and always was. It's understandable why he kept the zombie heads (for research; to try to find a cure for his daughter) but c'mon... putting living people in a fight arena with zombies chained on the sides... for entertainment purposes? That's bizarre to say the least. He always had a few screws loose but getting his butt handed to him by Michonne that night when she killed his zombie daughter and then blinded him in one eye... pushed him into the realm of "complete psycho".

The show has always been basically a soap opera examining the interpersonal relationships among the survivors and how they cope under extreme duress and the knowledge that any one of them could be killed at any time. At times it's felt like... "well, who's gonna melt down and get hysterical and scream in Rick's face this week?" (usually it was Lori)

As was noted above, there isn't much to say about the zombies... there's no potential for storylines there; they try to eat the living and the living shoot them or stab them in the head.

The new season should be interesting but with the limited food and other resources... and now a whole lot more people with the ones who weren't able-bodied enough to be in the Governor's army from Woodbury, there are a lot more mouths to be fed. It's going to bring a lot of challenges and staying at the prison probably isn't going to be a long-term solution, as the few who can fight off a zombie attack would have to be spending nearly all their time foraging for food.... leaving just a few to defend the others.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #311
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #312
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

I don't disagree that there has to be more than just zombies but remember when the show first started and the gang just trying to evade zombies was exciting? That doesn't exist any more. You could get rid of the zombies and it wouldn't even matter at this point. It is simply an end of the world Lord of the Flies show now.

The reason I hate the Governor is because his character should have died when Andrea lured him into the closet full of zombies only so he could capture her later outside the prison. That and the storyline just got stale for that many episodes.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #313
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Do you disagree? Honestly I view him like a pirate. He just takes, and his quote; "In this life now, you kill or you die," the Gov says. "Or, you die, and you kill." is 100% the way people should be thinking at this point.

Yes, he is nuts but what he does keeps the people inside the town alive and living close to normal. They have houses, food, and water. Look at Ricks group. They try for the most part and live like they would in the normal world and they struggle to survive and are pretty much living like rats in a prison.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #314
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Do you disagree? Honestly I view him like a pirate. He just takes, and his quote; "In this life now, you kill or you die," the Gov says. "Or, you die, and you kill." is 100% the way people should be thinking at this point.

Yes, he is nuts but what he does keeps the people inside the town alive and living close to normal. They have houses, food, and water. Look at Ricks group. They try for the most part and live like they would in the normal world and they struggle to survive and are pretty much living like rats in a prison.

kidnapping, molesting, and torturing potential new members of Woodberry would have me worried. He also just shot half the town folk in the back as they ran away refusing to fight Rick's group.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #315
edog24
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:

I agree somewhat, it sort of points to how dumb the ending was, taking on tons of infirm people, old, young, tons of mouths to feed. If I'm Glen, Michonne, Daryl, I wop Rick on the head and lock the new crew out and say thanks but no thanks.

Rick is endangering the whole group including his daughter by taking on all these random new people. It's poignant, but it's stupid and unrealistic.
edog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #316
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

not only is this struggle for survival, but it's also a struggle to maintain their humanity. Did you guys miss that theme in the last two episodes? It may cost them their lives, but not their souls.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #317
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

They should rename the series The Walking Stiff. 'Cause they are all like dead or something...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #318
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post

kidnapping, molesting, and torturing potential new members of Woodberry would have me worried. He also just shot half the town folk in the back as they ran away refusing to fight Rick's group.
I'm not saying he is right in the things he does, I'm saying that is how things will be done by people in situations like this. He is power hungry and you could that when he killed the soldiers. With them around the town people would have looked up to them as leaders because of what they represent IMO. Why else kill them? That is another reason I think of him like a pirate. Kills any threat to his leadership.

You can't take in people you don't trust. You can't give the way you normally would because in the end you will run out. Being inhuman sometimes is the best way to survive. Watching the colony on TV shows you this. Give a person water, food, etc.. once means they will tell others. Soon you will have a heard of people trying to get what you have either by force or begging.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #319
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edog24 View Post
I agree somewhat, it sort of points to how dumb the ending was, taking on tons of infirm people, old, young, tons of mouths to feed. If I'm Glen, Michonne, Daryl, I wop Rick on the head and lock the new crew out and say thanks but no thanks.

Rick is endangering the whole group including his daughter by taking on all these random new people. It's poignant, but it's stupid and unrealistic.
An interesting question was brought up on "The Talking Dead" after the season finale.... with bringing in the elderly, infirm people... what if one unexpectedly dies in their sleep? Then there's a new zombie inside the cell block. Do they lock each person inside their individual cells at night? Wouldn't they have to? Even the baby... what if she had SIDS or something?

Still, the people needed someone to help them... they had grown so dependent on the Governor and have no idea how to survive outside of the town... they would have been sitting ducks for the zombies or for any (unscrupulous) living people who wandered in. Abandoning them would have been leaving them to certain death... of course Rick already did that once when he refused to pick up the guy with the backpack. But that was only one guy and he was young and healthy enough to be viewed as a possible threat.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM   #320
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
I don't disagree that there has to be more than just zombies but remember when the show first started and the gang just trying to evade zombies was exciting? That doesn't exist any more. You could get rid of the zombies and it wouldn't even matter at this point. It is simply an end of the world Lord of the Flies show now.

The reason I hate the Governor is because his character should have died when Andrea lured him into the closet full of zombies only so he could capture her later outside the prison. That and the storyline just got stale for that many episodes.
This is what has me so disappointed. The last two episodes have sharply driven down the show's credibility.

For starters, let's say for argument's sake the Governor was able to spot Andrea in the field while he was driving down the road. She runs off into the woods and arrives at that building the same exact time as the Governor does? How can that be possible? She took a shortcut, the Gov had to drive on roads, and not to mention the fact that he knew where she was going to end up?

Then she lures him into the group of zombies, and armed only with a shovel, he is able to beat them all back while being surrounded and not get bit? And if that's not bad enough, Andrea leaves him behind, and when she gets to the prison, not only is he already waiting for her, he knows the exact spot she is going to come out of the woods and abducts her!

As for the finale, they built up the showdown all season long. It got tedious at times, but the payoff was going to be there. Then they give us a 5 minute showdown where not one person gets hit in crossfire, and the group retreats. And how did they know when they were coming anyway? After that, Rick decides they only need 3 of them to go back to Woodbury and finish the job? Too many holes in the story for me to say the show is living up to it's prior seasons.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #321
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
An interesting question was brought up on "The Talking Dead" after the season finale.... with bringing in the elderly, infirm people... what if one unexpectedly dies in their sleep? Then there's a new zombie inside the cell block. Do they lock each person inside their individual cells at night? Wouldn't they have to? Even the baby... what if she had SIDS or something?

Still, the people needed someone to help them... they had grown so dependent on the Governor and have no idea how to survive outside of the town... they would have been sitting ducks for the zombies or for any (unscrupulous) living people who wandered in. Abandoning them would have been leaving them to certain death... of course Rick already did that once when he refused to pick up the guy with the backpack. But that was only one guy and he was young and healthy enough to be viewed as a possible threat.
, is that what they discuss on the talking dead? God helps us all.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #322
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
1. There wouldn't be very many people alive. Food would be super scarce.
2. Guns would rule. People with guns and ammo would have power. People without guns would not.
3. Society would exist as it does everywhere with severely limited food, and lots of guns...warlords with travelling bands of gunman would take over.
4. Peaceful groups would be easily exploited and overrun for their food and women by the warlords (just like in 3rd world countries).
5. And just like in 3rd world countries, there would be little chance for any semblance of civilization to exist.
6. The most well-armed group would rule. It wouldn't be ran by 'nice guys', they would be like the Governor, and would be the most power hungry, ruthless psychopaths (just like in 3rd world countries).
Sounds like Africa and the inner city of Chicago. Now we have roaming bands of street thugs intimating people on State Street and Michigan Ave.

Which is why we cannot live in this universe alone, you will be thinned out and die off, without organized communities that can develop and cultivate resources their time would be better served Jerking off because they haven't accomplished anything except watch their friends and loved ones thin out.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #323
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
An interesting question was brought up on "The Talking Dead" after the season finale.... with bringing in the elderly, infirm people... what if one unexpectedly dies in their sleep? ...
Hide their dentures.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #324
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
I always knew Spartacus was a ridiculous show. Having a fairly important historical figure ass raped kind of destroyed any desire I have to watch the show going forward.

Vikings...Im not sure about that one. Pacing is a bit off. Hopefully that will improve with time.

It took me a couple episodes of Vikings before I started liking it. I have read some of the HEIMSKRINGLA (which is way harder to follow than the Canterbury Tales) and I have read the Norse Myths along with other Scandinavian folk and fairy tales. To me the Ragnar charater is a an amalgamation of lots of other kings and discoverers. Once I bought into that I was able to tune out every thing they got wrong and just enjoy it for what it was worth. It took a long time for Christianity to take hold back then, with the capture of the priest they make it sound like on their 1st journey west they started converting, it was much much later and took the end of raids being profitable before Kings started converting their men. They used the new religion to control people much the same way that the Catholic church kept people ignorant and controlled them until essentially the printing press.

It is better than most shows on TV now. Glad to see something scripted sort of related to history on the History Channel. I still have The Bible on the DVR and look forward to watching that also.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #325
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
, is that what they discuss on the talking dead? God helps us all.
They talk about the just-aired episode (it's scheduled right after "The Walking Dead") with a few guests... and take questions from the live audience and also online from viewers. Then there's the "In Memoriam" segment where they show clips of every death... zombie or the living... that happened that week. Oh, and they choose a "Fan of the Week" that used the website to "Dead Yourself" (upload a photo and see what they'd look like as a zombie).

It's basically the same thing we're doing here; discussing the show and what we liked or didn't like about it.

Usually they have at least one of the actors and they provide a glimpse of what it's like filming the show... they have to be careful not to give any "spoilers". Sunday evening they had the actors who play Tyreece and Daryl.