The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2013, 01:03 PM   #76
peacepipe
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDynamite View Post
That's another one - Bartenders - okay I get it if you go and order multiple drinks that require mixing or whatever. But what if you walk up to a bar and order a 3 dollar bud light. Is opening a beer bottle really a tip worthy service?
yes
peacepipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #77
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacepipe View Post
yes
Especially if the girl is letting you take shots out the breasts later. That 3 dollar Bud Light (piss) becomes 5 dollars and so worth it!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #78
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Interesting article that touches on this very subject...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...hey_tithe.html
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #79
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Sounds like a fun time. One of my best friends from undergraduate got his degree in English, went on to get his MA and now is doing his PhD back where we went to school together (in exactly what you are) and is teaching at the university (lower level courses) and making a pretty solid living while completing his PhD.

I hear you on the AH&SS people getting ripped on all the time. Has happened to me a lot on this board, but couldn't care less.

Maybe you'll be a rockstar professor someday or write a book more influential than 1984.
Wait, is this a place to worry about our writing careers? If so, i have worries too.

I honestly think Kaylore meant nothing by his comment, but I have to admit i get tweaked when people associate "green jobs" with "effete." One day we'll be glad all that research is being done.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #80
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudofool View Post
I'd tip her something, and then speak to a manager about her job security. That's me.
Tip + fired vs no tip and job. Hmmmmm that is a tough one.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:15 PM   #81
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
That's another one - Bartenders - okay I get it if you go and order multiple drinks that require mixing or whatever. But what if you walk up to a bar and order a 3 dollar bud light. Is opening a beer bottle really a tip worthy service?
Yes, you have to at least give him / her a dollar
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #82
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Here's a couple serious questions, though:

1) When (and how much) do you tip a valet? When, as in, do you just tip when you're picking up? Or do you tip when you're dropping off, as well?

2) How much do you tip a bellman at a hotel?
This is why I try to park my car and carry my bags. I have no idea. I usually give a couple of bucks to the valet guy who gets my car.

Kaylore, $3 should be okay - that's 20% on a $15 cut... Though me and a barber/stylist haven't been on speaking terms in 13 years.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #83
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I almost always tip just over 15% to what ever evens out the bill. Unless it is the typical Chili's type lunch that comes out to $14, I always leave $3. I think 15% is fine and most people think that signifies a good tip. I don't feel cheap leaving 15%.

My hair cuts cost $15 and I tip $10

Usually give the valet a couple of bucks when I pick up my car, same goes for hotel porters

Bartenders get $1 for 1 beer, cute girls get more.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #84
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

ha! I so rarely carry cash on me, so i try to avoid valets all together because I'd feel bad not tipping them.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #85
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Interesting article that touches on this very subject...

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f...hey_tithe.html
I'm just surprised the link isn't to IAOFM...
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #86
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
This guy deserves to get Super-Aids. Seriously.

My rule. Don't be cheap, but don't be a sucker either. I tip 20 percent if the service is good. I tip 25 percent for outstanding service at local restaurants where the waiter/waitress recognizes me as a return customer. I tip 10 percent for below average service. Basically, you have to disappear to get 10 percent. Honestly, I haven't had poor enough service to warrant a 0 tip in like 6 years or so.
Oh, I was angry.

He didn't see me follow him in; and when he came out, he asked the others where I was. They didn't know why I went in, either. When I came out, he was SO nervous! When we got back to the hotel, I told him either he could tell the others about it, or I would. He told them later that day; and that's when the BS about it being immoral came out.

Oh, we made him pay for that, over the last couple months he traveled with us.

And I'll tell you - the douchebaggery with putting the stack of ones on the table is almost as offensive to me as him taking our tips. On many occasions, I got up from my table, found the server, and apologized. I didn't want to be associated with the pretentious douche.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #87
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
I'm just surprised the link isn't to IAOFM...
I'm just surprised I don't care what you're surprised about. And that your intellectual curiosity clearly knows no bounds!
Old 02-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #88
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well if that guy over there is Sea Bass. . .
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #89
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
ha! I so rarely carry cash on me, so i try to avoid valets all together because I'd feel bad not tipping them.
This is especially troublesome when you don't have any small bills. It's like, stay away because I'm not giving you $20.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:30 PM   #90
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
This is why I try to park my car and carry my bags. I have no idea. I usually give a couple of bucks to the valet guy who gets my car.

Kaylore, $3 should be okay - that's 20% on a $15 cut... Though me and a barber/stylist haven't been on speaking terms in 13 years.
I only use valets when the alternative is completely unreasonable. I have no idea if I'm right, but I've always tipped when I pick up the car, and it's usually $5.00 (or $10.00, if something justifies it).

For bellmen and skycaps, I do $2.00 a bag. $1.00 a bag used to be pretty common with skycaps. Now, as I don't travel much (thank God), I do $2.00. We always seem to have a bag that is slightly overweight, a car seat, or some other oddity. It's nice to do a little extra to ensure they are motivated to get your bags where they need to go.

I have no idea if I'm right on the bellmen number. It always seems okay.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #91
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Wait, is this a place to worry about our writing careers? If so, i have worries too.

I honestly think Kaylore meant nothing by his comment, but I have to admit i get tweaked when people associate "green jobs" with "effete." One day we'll be glad all that research is being done.
I was trying to use something more current than "actor."
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #92
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
That story about tip being an acronym is bogus. Acronyms were not widely used before the mid 20th century and people were tipping well before that.

http://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/...lse_etymology/

This is similar to the urban legend where people say Sh*t was an acronym for Ship High in Transit or that Golf was an acronym for "Gentlemen only, ladies forbidden." Acronyms weren't used until the military began the trend in WWII and then it didn't spread through the rest of the country until well after that. Because of their ubiquity people incorrectly look for them in old words whose etymology is forgotten.

As for what to tip your hair stylist, I would tip her whatever she's worth. If she gives you a good haircut and you go back a lot, 20% or more should be good. I tipped a lot if she did a good job and was attractive. In fact I tipped attractive waitresses and stylists more than unattractive ones. This is incredibly prejudiced, obviously, but that was my practice.

I have to totally disagree with you. While I WAS working in the business (I personally do not care about your quotes from the 18 or 19th century) The Matre D (Who was raised in the business and made a living doing such) personally sat down with each new employee and explained what he expected from each employee and what tipping meant. He was the professional that explained what TIP stood for and that you had to work hard to EARN that extra benefit and it was direct reflection on not only your performance, but also on the establishment itself.

TIP's have to be earned and in the food industry that means food quality as well as the servers performance. If an employee is below average in doing their stated job, they should be compensated as such, On the other hand if the person goes above and beyond what you expect, you should reward them as such.

I will stand by my comments, I was shown the ropes by a gentleman who was at the top of the curve in the industry, running one of the very few true 5 star restaurants in Colorado. I will ignore quotes printed by a newspaper columnist from over a hundred years ago. Flame away.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #93
Popps
It's so easy

18% has been in place for about 20 years, maybe longer.

Tipping 15% at any proper tipping establishment is telling the server you were unhappy.

Tipping 18% is telling them it was fine.

Tipping 20% or more is telling them you appreciate their effort beyond the average server.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #94
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

Tipping 15% at any proper tipping establishment is telling the server you were unhappy.

Tipping 20% or more is telling them you appreciate their effort beyond the average server.
Where do we sign up to get inside info like this?
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #95
DenverDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
Yes, you have to at least give him / her a dollar
So a bartender who opens a crappy beer bottle gets near a 40% tip for a 2 second job? See, I don't know. I have tipped in that situation, but I have a hard time with it. Call me cheap.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #96
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
So a bartender who opens a crappy beer bottle gets near a 40% tip for a 2 second job? See, I don't know. I have tipped in that situation, but I have a hard time with it. Call me cheap.
I try to tip every other beer till I'm drunk then they get rich
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #97
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I was trying to use something more current than "actor."
eh, go back to actor...its tried and true
Old 02-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #98
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
I'm with you DD. It's "expected", but shouldn't be. I tip on the first beer/drink, but perhaps not on every one after that.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #99
DenverDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I'm with you DD. It's "expected", but shouldn't be. I tip on the first beer/drink, but perhaps not on every one after that.
Well I mean if I'm sitting at the bar actually drinking than yeah, I'd leave a 20% tip on the final bill, but I was once at a club years ago and walked up to the beer bar and ordered one (overpriced) beer and got barked at by the skanky bartender for not tipping her for handing it to me.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #100
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popps View Post

I am calling Bull ****. 15% is the expected amount to tip someone who did an average job. If you are going to get more fancy with a rating system then below average, average, above average you are over thinking it. By definition most waiters are average and deserve average compensation.