The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #51
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateHoboW/Shotgun View Post
Here is the cheapest option. Restructure Champ from $11 mill to $6mill. Move Champ to FS, Q Carter at SS, Chris Harris at LCB and Tony Carter/ 1st/ 2nd round pick at RCB. Thoughts?
Champ has specifically said he's not moving to safety for cap reasons.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #52
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
I see your point and yes it has been awhile since we spent near the full cap amount, but I personally don't think it has to do with Bowlen's finances. With McDaniels our team salary cap had a good deal of dead space because of bad Shanahan deals and under Elway the spending style is different. Not burning cash on big free agebts but instead building through the draft.

This offseason will be the decider on Pat's finances. If we keep our own, Clady, Bruton, Stokley, Vickerson and Carter than we know money isn't a big issue, if we let guys (especially Clady) walk than the rumors may be true
Irrelevant. His gripe was about LaCanfora's comment... which was true.

PS. Your bolded line is bull****.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #53
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson!

Champ is still by far the best player in the secondary, Miller is the best defender at this point but Champ had a great 2012 and is still a top 5 CB.

Sure he got burned by a younger WR who is among the fastest in the NFL, Smith has made a lot of guys look bad. San Fran had 2 botched coverages in the SB, the one where Jones (I think) got behind the D and the 3rd down conversion where Flacco chucked it up to Boldin where he was the only one who could make a play on the jump ball.

Champ is worth every bit of that 9.5 mill. Now if the Safeties were in position on any of those 3 deep passes we might be hosting our own SB parade.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #54
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
god you are all so dumb.

we're in the middle of a super bowl run. champ is a hall of fame denver bronco. he was just second team all pro.

LETS CUT HIM OR MOVE HIM TO A NEW POSITION

why?

I DUNNO IT IS LIKE A TALKING POINT ON THE RADIO SO I GUESS I HAVE TO CONSIDER IT.

wake the **** up, people. if any of this discussion happened a month ago you'd all be laughing.
I don't think the people here realize how much the defense depends on Champ. Much of the defense revolves around him taking out the other team's best CB which he did EVERY game last year except one.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #55
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

I love Champ. One of the best Broncos ever. Definitely top 5 of all time, but he has lost a major step this last season. He was exposed in the playoffs.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #56
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Champ is still by far the best player in the secondary, Miller is the best defender at this point but Champ had a great 2012 and is still a top 5 CB.
That's homerism buddy. Chris Harris quietly had a better season than Champ. It was Champ's worst year as a Bronco, and that's a concern because he's up there in age. He's not going to get better, he will regress.
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #57
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
That's homerism buddy. Chris Harris quietly had a better season than Champ. It was Champ's worst year as a Bronco, and that's a concern because he's up there in age. He's not going to get better, he will regress.
I agree Harris had a better year but last year Champ played great and it was far from his worst year.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #58
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
I agree Harris had a better year but last year Champ played great and it was far from his worst year.
Take a number our stars played well against poor teams. Our stars were nowhere in most of our bigger games. We caught Balt switching OC's in first game. Champ got toasted plenty but, still solid.

Last edited by NFLBRONCO; 02-06-2013 at 10:10 PM..
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #59
yerner
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Wilson View Post
You really should look up some analysis of Champs play this year. What you're saying is simply not true.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #60
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Irrelevant. His gripe was about LaCanfora's comment... which was true.

PS. Your bolded line is bull****.
As big of a roster overhaul that occured once McDaniels took over (not saying all good moves) just saying with as many players as were cut, or released there had to be big chunks of dead space. Like it or not Shanahan had a lot of garbage on the roster when he left
BroncoMan4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #61
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

If Manning retired I could see Denver cutting costs but, why did they bring in Manning if we plan on cutting Doom Champ etc. Pretty dumb Jason L.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #62
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Would love Champ at safety with a hefty pay cut. Use that to help bring in Revis and give the Jets our 1st round pick (it's not like it's a high pick anyway and Revis is well worth it). Facts are facts, Champ has lost a step or 2 and him roaming around back there he doesn't have to have the same speed a CB does. Then we add a MLB and DT and I think that's an improvement on defense without question. Champ at safety if you have Revis at CB could really help against TE's also because I think Champ can cover TE's. He's got decent size, good tackling and not many TE's are gonna blaze past champ like some of these WR's have.

DO IT
Sounds like you got educated by the Lonelystar School of football management, since you want to:

1.) Have Champ take a hefty paycut and move him to safety.
2.) Back the brinks truck up for Revis, who is coming off an ACL injury to take his spot.
3.) Forgot to mention that you want to throw in a first round pick for Revis.

24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #63
orange crusher
Predominately Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
La Confora is no Schefter. Some speculated once Schefter left NFL Network he would lose his big scoops. They tried to prop up La Confora as a suitable replacement and failed.

This is more about looking at contracts that have are a bit backloaded on aging players. Champ is technically included because he's in his mid thirties and getting paid like he's 25.
Couldn't agree more. La Confora is no more of an insider than you or me.
orange crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:53 AM   #64
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
As big of a roster overhaul that occured once McDaniels took over (not saying all good moves) just saying with as many players as were cut, or released there had to be big chunks of dead space. Like it or not Shanahan had a lot of garbage on the roster when he left
Finally something to agree on. Was not sure I'd see the day.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:35 AM   #65
HILife
Ring of Famer

Mrs. Alicia Hilife

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
L.O.L.S. JETS JETS JETS!!!!!
HILife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:43 AM   #66
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
Take a number our stars played well against poor teams. Our stars were nowhere in most of our bigger games. We caught Balt switching OC's in first game. Champ got toasted plenty but, still solid.
What game did he get toasted in? I know Green had a long catch or two but guess what he did that to everyone. Denver held him in check really. List who toasted Champ in regular season please.

Last edited by DENVERDUI55; 02-07-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Old 02-07-2013, 06:02 AM   #67
Bacchus

Quote:
What game did he get toasted in? I know Green had a long catch or too but guess what he did that to everyone. Denver held him in check really. List who toasted Champ in regular season please.
Funny how they say Green toasted him but I believe he had something Like 89 yards receiving and 15-25 of them were not against Champ. How many WRs had 100 yards receiving games this year, but Champ was toasted for giving up 70 yards?

People are so stupid I cannot get over it.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:10 AM   #68
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Green had 99 yards, 69 of those and 1 TD were against Champ. Champ also picked off a pass intended for Green.

That was the only TD Champ gave up all season.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:01 AM   #69
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Re-posting this from another thread due to relevance to this discussion:

It's now being reported the Broncos have $14.1 million. Still 4th best in the league (but not nearly as good as we thought).

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ents-for-2013/

Good explanation/clarification from IAOFM:

Quote:
To be crystal clear, this is a 2013 figure, meaning anyone schedule for unrestricted or restricted free agency is not included on the Denver payroll. Re-signing any or all of Brandon Stokley, Tony Carter, Britton Colquitt, Mitch Unrein, Justin Bannan, Kevin Vickerson, David Bruton, Jason Hunter, Dan Koppen, and Jason Hunter will eat away at that $14.1M figure.

Re-signing Ryan Clady or applying the franchise tender to him (very likely to occur) would swallow the majority of it.
Read more about it here: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...-cap-room-lard

Also, to Rev's point regarding Bowlen and spending:

Quote:
...Pat Bowlen does not act like a cash-rich owner; cash considerations have tended to outweigh cap ones for several years now at Dove Valley.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:23 AM   #70
BroncoBeavis

That list made me kinda worried. But I'm not a big cap guy in any sense.

Luckily I think our current cap figure still counts Mayo and DJon, if I'm not mistaken, which should help. (I hope)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #71
DENVERDUI55

The only reason I can see Bowlen being so tight he sqeaks is from Shanny's awesome signings of Carter, OHIO, Grease monkey, TD. Shanahan was too spend happy on overpriced FA in the early 2000's and that led to nothing.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #72
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Other than Harris, who lines up opposite of Champ, who on this roster could replace Champ at corner? Bolden has proven nothing. He will likely improve, but I wouldn't rely upon him and Carter has been up and down and is not consistent enough to rely upon.

Hopefully Champ would be willing to drop to a 7-8 million salary, but he has the leverage IMO because we have no viable replacement.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #73
Drunken.Broncoholic

Well this will expose what is most important for a player. Championships or money. I thought the cap was going to rocket in the next few years from the TV deals but it doesn't look that way. Champ takes less money to play for a superbowl, or take more money to play for a bottom feeding team that has no shot.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #74
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Quote:
The only reason I can see Bowlen being so tight he sqeaks is from Shanny's awesome signings of Carter, OHIO, Grease monkey, TD. Shanahan was too spend happy on overpriced FA in the early 2000's and that led to nothing.
You forgot IHOP

Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM   #75
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Well this will expose what is most important for a player. Championships or money. I thought the cap was going to rocket in the next few years from the TV deals but it doesn't look that way. Champ takes less money to play for a superbowl, or take more money to play for a bottom feeding team that has no shot.
Champ has always been a team guy esp when we weren't good. It wouldn't effect me either choice he made at this stage of his career. I expect him to retire here honestly but, if not good luck to him.