The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2013, 10:00 PM   #1
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Guns aren't the only issue.

A sad, sad story. I've read many articles about this man, saw him give a great interview on Conan. He just wanted to help veterans like himself deal with re-entry into civilian life, and this is what he got...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/us...lled.html?_r=0

What The ****?
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
orinjkrush

Hey, no hurling on the shell, dude,

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

PTSD is going to go epidemic in its effects over the next 20 years. we have screwed a whole generation of veterans, breaking them with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for no g*dd*mn good reason. just pathetic. and the p***Y politicians will make THEM out to be domestic terrorists in the end.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by orinjkrush View Post
PTSD is going to go epidemic in its effects over the next 20 years. we have screwed a whole generation of veterans, breaking them with multiple deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan for no g*dd*mn good reason. just pathetic. and the p***Y politicians will make THEM out to be domestic terrorists in the end.
The problem goes much deeper than that, I believe. I think many of those (not all) with PTSD had problems in the first place. Just imagine the kind of people who would sign up for the infantry when wars like Iraq and Afghanistan are being fought. It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

The problem is with Americans as a whole. PTSD and the effects of the wars are the convenient scapegoat.

My opinion, of course.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
orinjkrush

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
The problem goes much deeper than that, I believe. I think many of those (not all) with PTSD had problems in the first place. Just imagine the kind of people who would sign up for the infantry when wars like Iraq and Afghanistan are being fought. It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

The problem is with Americans as a whole. PTSD and the effects of the wars are the convenient scapegoat.

My opinion, of course.
interesting observations. thumbsup
Old 02-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
They signed on voluntarily for this service. Take that into consideration before going off and acting as if there is some evil plot to "break them" here.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
It's really a chicken and egg situation. Then you take the stresses of a military life and you put it on someone who might not've been the most stable to begin with and you have a burden they may not be able to handle.

Things like personal temperament, coping skills, and attitude always affect these types of things. I can't figure out why you're blaming Americans as a whole.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
orinjkrush

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
They signed on voluntarily for this service. Take that into consideration before going off and acting as if there is some evil plot to "break them" here.
you miss the point. the plot wasn't to break them, it was to engage in stupid, unwinnable, inconsequential foreign adventures that used them up as canon fodder.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Things like personal temperament, coping skills, and attitude always affect these types of things. I can't figure out why you're blaming Americans as a whole.
Americans (even those who have never been a part of war) are going on murdering rampages way too often these days. When you start with such an unstable foundation, how can you claim any particular effects to be the impact of war?
Old 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
you miss the point. the plot wasn't to break them, it was to engage in stupid, unwinnable, inconsequential foreign adventures that used them up as canon fodder.
I don't miss the point. I've seen many people treat volunteer soldiers as if they were kidnapped off the streets in some conscription scheme and terrorized thereafter.

Anything beyond that is your subjective opinion.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #10
orinjkrush

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Quote:
I don't miss the point. I've seen many people treat volunteer soldiers as if they were kidnapped off the streets in some conscription scheme and terrorized thereafter.

Anything beyond that is your subjective opinion.
you clearly have never served. and you are entitled to your opinion also.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Didn't the guy who was shot have his own line of assault rifles through some gun manufacturer?
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
you clearly have never served. and you are entitled to your opinion also.
This is raising the bar.

I'm a woman and never served. What does this have to do with my points here?
Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Americans (even those who have never been a part of war) are going on murdering rampages way too often these days. When you start with such an unstable foundation, how can you claim any particular effects to be the impact of war?
This is based on media hype and little (to nothing) else.

You're tying in two things without a reason for why we should think the two are tied in. You're also - and most disturbingly - treating the actions of rare individuals who are nearly universally mentally ill as a reflection of society, or in other words, society's fault.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #14
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I'm a woman [...]
You're a woman like a fish is a bicycle.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #15
nyuk nyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by W*GS View Post
You're a woman like a fish is a bicycle.
I think you're taking forum disagreements a bit too far, don't you? Making such insulting personal insinuations about people for no other reason than you don't like what they say?

Is this another shining example of liberal tolerance?

Yes, I think it is.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:43 PM   #16
W*GS
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I think you're taking forum disagreements a bit too far, don't you? Making such insulting personal insinuations about people for no other reason than you don't like what they say?
You're just a lame troll, that's all.

And a very poor liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk
Is this another shining example of liberal tolerance?

Yes, I think it is.
Are you another shining example of conservative bull****tery? Yes, you are.
W*GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
This is based on media hype and little (to nothing) else.

You're tying in two things without a reason for why we should think the two are tied in. You're also - and most disturbingly - treating the actions of rare individuals who are nearly universally mentally ill as a reflection of society, or in other words, society's fault.
You're arguing for the sake of arguing here.