The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
Bacchus

Default People are so stooopid

One in four Americans think God helps decide the outcome of football games

Rick Chandler
Jan 31, 2013, 9:00 AM EST

......according to the poll, 27 percent of Americans believe that God actually plays a role in determining which team wins a sporting event. Yes, God is waving that ball fair or foul, like an omnipotent Carlton Fisk. Or to put it another way, God spends all day playing Madden NFL 12 with real players.

Which means that David Akers must have really done something wrong in his life recently. God seems to be steamed at him.

The poll, conducted on Jan. 16, consisted of random telephone interviews with 1,033 subjects.

The percentage jumps even higher if youíre a white evangelical Protestant from the South.

Roughly 4-in-10 minority Christians (40%) and white evangelical Protestants (38%) agree that God does play a role in the outcome of a sporting event, compared to less than 3-in-10 (29%) Catholics, less than 1-in-5 (19%) white mainline Protestants, and approximately 1-in-10 (12%) religiously unaffiliated Americans.

More than one-third (36%) of Americans who live in the South agree that God plays a role in determining which team wins a sporting event, compared to nearly 3-in-10 (28%) Americans who live in the Midwest, 1-in-5 (20%) Americans who live in the Northeast, and 15% of Americans who live in the West.
That low percentage for the West is not surprising: thatís where Chargers and Raiders fans live.

Read more here along with always entertaining Yahoo comments: http://offthebench.nbcsports.com/201...games/related/
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #2
ol#7

Then what do you think of the morons who turn their beer labels a certain way to effect a kick or break into a past residence to sit in their lucky spot (49er fan). While dumb examples from recent beer commercials, I have seen any number of people invovled in various ritual acts, but I guess boob mojo never happened.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I watch all Broncos games without pants. Not because I think it will help them win, but because it feels good.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #4
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

God is a busy deity.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:38 AM   #5
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

So you think religious people are stupid? I mean if one believes that a deity intervene in our lives, or even plans them, it isn't a leap in logic to think that includes the outcome of football games.

While I am just shy of an atheist, I don't think I would be arrogant enough to claim that religious people are Stoopid.
2KBack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Then what do you think of the morons who turn their beer labels a certain way to effect a kick or break into a past residence to sit in their lucky spot (49er fan). While dumb examples from recent beer commercials, I have seen any number of people invovled in various ritual acts, but I guess boob mojo never happened.
Good analogy, game day superstitions, boob mojo and religion are the same. I agree. They are all stoopid.

Boob mojo doesn't help Denver win, but it does improve the moral of the Mane.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KBack View Post
So you think religious people are stupid? I mean if one believes that a deity intervene in our lives, or even plans them, it isn't a leap in logic to think that includes the outcome of football games.

While I am just shy of an atheist, I don't think I would be arrogant enough to claim that religious people are Stoopid.
Do you expect better when the OP is borderline retarded?
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #8
Bacchus

Quote:

I wouldn't call them stupid, but if they believe in God and they believe that God has a vested interest in the NFL and effectuates the outcome of games, they are ****ing stupid.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #9
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I wouldn't call them stupid, but if they believe in God and they believe that God has a vested interest in the NFL and effectuates the outcome of games, they are ****ing stupid.
If one believes in God, it usually follows that they believe that he is the one that essentially controls everything (including things like the weather that most CERTAINLY have an effect on outdoor sporting events). Maybe he doesn't have a vested interest in who wins or loses, but he doesn't have to, because he effects the games nonetheless by his other seemingly unrelated day to day actions.
Beantown Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:

I pray to Horus that the Broncos draft Xavier Rhodes in 2013.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I imagine he'll gone by our selection no matter how much we sacrifice to the great sky god
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

religious people are naive and don't think for themselves, but they aren't stupid.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #13
Rohirrim
Partisan

All hail Hercules!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I pray to Zeus we draft Sharrif Floyd. My god will kick your god's ass.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #14
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I imagine he'll gone by our selection no matter how much we sacrifice to the great sky god
You are probably right.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
OABB
sarcasm font

always on.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon Moreno

If god was involved, the raiders plane would have crashed years ago.
OABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #16
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Gozer or GTFO.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

people are people and sometimes you have to people the people, the people people the people yah know?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol#7 View Post
Exactly. Robert de Niro in the movie "Silver Lining Playbook" is a perfect example of this! Great movie

On a side note, I have asked several religious people this question and everyone of them told me football is a materialistic entity and is in no way swayed by God.

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 02-01-2013 at 08:29 AM..
Old 02-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
ThirtyDegrees

The existence of a god that plays an active role in human affairs is one of the most utterly stupid and ignorant things a person can believe in.

God wouldn't stop the holocaust, but he'll help Ray Lewis play linebacker.

God wouldn't prevent 9/11 but he'll cure your Aunt of cancer.

I've never understood it, never will.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Can we try sacrificing though? MacGruder? Lonestar?
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post
The existence of a god that plays an active role in human affairs is one of the most utterly stupid and ignorant things a person can believe in.

You don't understand racism either so you got that going for you too.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post

I tend to agree with you, but have just grown to accept it. As an athiest, the idea of a higher power is absolutely absurd to me, and incredibly frustrating that people use it as some kind of a compass.

i still remember the day I officially realized I didnt believe it. I grew up with Jewish faith and my parents would send me to Jew sunday school, and one day they brought a halocaust survivor in to speak to a bunch of us 10 year olds. And he told some story about almost getting caught when he escaped Auschvitz and how that was some kind of miracle. And i remember thinking, wait a second, 6 million others died, why was saving YOU a miracle? It's not like you went on to do anything other than live a normal life.

But I'm hardly surprised by that stat. As someone said, if most people believe in God, then why shouldnt they believe a God affects the outcome of a football game. But I do question whether or not anyone on the Mane TRULY believes Boob Mojo or sitting in your lucky seat truly affects the outcome of games. I sincerely doubt it.

I have to wonder that, if society is still around in 5,000 years, if the idea of God is looked upon widely as absurd, much like today's society views Greek Gods.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #23
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I believe God cares about the outcome of football games. I don't believe he cares very much though...
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #24
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I believe God cares about the outcome of football games. I don't believe he cares very much though...
If God's a Ravens fan, then I really don't wanna believe in him.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #25
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I have to wonder that, if society is still around in 5,000 years, if the idea of God is looked upon widely as absurd, much like today's society views Greek Gods.
Most definitely. Thanks for sharing your story.