The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2014, 09:21 PM   #501
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

To add we are +3 on goal differential after one game. Secure a victory against the swiss and we should cruise.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #502
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post

Looking forward to tomorrow. Time for revenge on Ghana.
If the Americans can win this game, they just might advance. Huge game for them tomorrow night.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #503
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I think the men's team is better than people think. Just a touch, but better.
The draw was so disappointing. I 100% believe that this is the best team we've ever sent to the world cup. We might not win a game.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #504
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Beat the Chefs! Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

This is the 1st year I have watched a full pro soccer game and I admit I am getting into it. Trying to catch up on the DVR. I did it for the kids so they could see what the pro game looks like and what to emulate and I sort of see the world wide appeal.

I also like to watch the Tour De France.
broncosteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:30 PM   #505
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
No sane person believes the US will win. But people were upset that Jurgen said so as it gives off a defeatist attitude in their eyes.

Julian Green is the future and we need him to gain experience.
Jurgen forcing changes to the structure of US soccer and training will pay dividends in the future.
True, look at England's changes this year, they have 19 and 20 year old kids starting as striker/forwards. That's England giving up on the old guard, and sending a message that in 2018 they are going to compete. Brazil has done this for years, while others rely on the old guard to carry them forward. The US team has been stuck in the mentality that veteren wisdom trumps youth potential for years. You could argue that they severely mishandled their exposure of Freddy Adu to the international game. They tried to shelter him, and didn't give him the exposure to shine.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #506
Chrissy Rules
Ring of Famer

Git er done

Adopt-a-Bronco:
PM OF COURSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
This is the 1st year I have watched a full pro soccer game and I admit I am getting into it. Trying to catch up on the DVR. I did it for the kids so they could see what the pro game looks like and what to emulate and I sort of see the world wide appeal.

its to much running up and down the field just to have somebody kick it back down the other end..that would piss me off..
Chrissy Rules is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:33 PM   #507
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post

Who did you watch?

The final minute of the Swiss vs Ecuador was pretty exciting.

And glad you like Le Tour?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #508
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
True, look at England's changes this year, they have 19 and 20 year old kids starting as striker/forwards. That's England giving up on the old guard, and sending a message that in 2018 they are going to compete. Brazil has done this for years, while others rely on the old guard to carry them forward. The US team has been stuck in the mentality that veteren wisdom trumps youth potential for years. You could argue that they severely mishandled their exposure of Freddy Adu to the international game. They tried to shelter him, and didn't give him the exposure to shine.
The problem was that the US was too busy trying to show that their way would work instead of having a viable developmental program and treating soccer like the rest of the world does.
Jurgen even commented on this before and after he took over.
That is why IMO he picked some younger guys and is allowing them to get exposure to this level of soccer instead of just trying to go with vets and hoping they will win.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:37 PM   #509
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissy Rules View Post
its to much running up and down the field just to have somebody kick it back down the other end..that would piss me off..
The ending of the Swiss game today was awesome.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:41 PM   #510
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
The draw was so disappointing. I 100% believe that this is the best team we've ever sent to the world cup. We might not win a game.
Yep. And there are 3-4 groups we probably would have won. Maybe 4 of the top 13 in the world in our group.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 09:45 PM   #511
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

These are the winners of the WC:

Brazil 5 (1958, 1962, 1970, 1994, 2002)
Italy 4 (1934, 1938, 1982, 2006)
Germany 3 (1954, 1974, 1990)
Argentina 2 (1978, 1986)
Uruguay 2 (1930, 1950)
France 1 (1998)
England 1 (1966)
Spain 1 (2010)
Old 06-15-2014, 09:48 PM   #512
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Yep. And there are 3-4 groups we probably would have won. Maybe 4 of the top 13 in the world in our group.
no way
Old 06-15-2014, 09:56 PM   #513
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
The problem was that the US was too busy trying to show that their way would work instead of having a viable developmental program and treating soccer like the rest of the world does.
That is why IMO he picked some younger guys and is allowing them to get exposure to this level of soccer instead of just trying to go with vets and hoping they will win.

That sort of cultural predestination is hard to sell in the US, especially with the unlikely future that it represents.

We are moving in the right direction though, we just need to upgrade the midfield. I love having a player like Beckerman with his intensity, but let's be honest, even as a defensive midfielder he doesn't have what it takes to play at this level. Maybe he will prove me wrong, but I don't see it.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #514
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
no way
I think the US could have advanced in grougs C, F, or H. Won? no. Advanced? Yes.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:11 PM   #515
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
My soccer knowledge is limited. I follow MLS, Champions League, EUFA Cupr, World Cup and the FIFA video games... and I losely follow Svenska and Eredivise because of my friends in Sweden and Holland... all the other leagues I might just watch the championship game.

But definitely wouldn't consider US or Ghana top 13 in the world.

My top 15:

1. Germany
2. Holland
3. Brazil
4. Argentina
5. Spain
6. Portugal
7. Uruguay
8. Colombia
9. Italy
10 England
11. Belgium
12. Chile
10. Switzerland
11. France
12. Greece
13. Croatia
14. Ukraine
15. Bosnia and Herzegovina
16. Denmark
17. Mexico

I guess the US could be competitive with 12 to 17 on that list, but it would still be an upset if we beat them. Although we were 1-0-1 against Mexico friendlies that I've watched.

Sweden didn't make it to the Cup due to tough regional schedule, but Zlatan Ibrahimovic is 10x better than anybody whose ever put on a US jersey.

That's just my opinion, and a lot of this is based on World Cup performances... Spain has dropped A LOT in my book.

I think Brazil will win it this year, but I'm excited for Hollands HUGE upset over Spain, and I think the Dutch will make a run for it again.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:16 PM   #516
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
I think the US could have advanced in grougs C, F, or H. Won? no. Advanced? Yes.
C - No way the US gets past both the Ivroy Coast and Colombia

F - Possibly advance... Bosnia & Herzegovina would be tough. No chance vs Argentina.

H - We would probably advance here if we upset Algeria again. Belgium is no joke. They kinda came out of nowhere recently.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:26 PM   #517
DBruleU
Ring of Famer

Quote:
I agree with this as well, and it's basically what JK has done. Leaving Landon Donovan home was good IMO. Could he be valuable off the bench? Probably. But I think it's time to stop living in the past and work towards the future.

And Freddy Adu was a huuuge disappointment. I believe he was pretty overrated since birth tho...if he had the enormous potential and talent to be world class for us, he would have. He had his chance in Europe and it didn't work out there either.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM   #518
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogulseeker View Post
C - No way the US gets past both the Ivroy Coast and Colombia

F - Possibly advance... Bosnia & Herzegovina would be tough. No chance vs Argentina.

H - We would probably advance here if we upset Algeria again. Belgium is no joke. They kinda came out of nowhere recently.
If we were in C Ivory Cost would be in G, that's what I was getting at. I was looking for groups without 3 strong contenders. Group D for example, would be impossible for the US. No matter what team you remove from that group, we couldn't generate enough points to advance. Do you see what I'm getting at?
Old 06-15-2014, 10:32 PM   #519
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Ok, that is different from winning a group to finishing top two.

Tough groups out there even with the ones you mentioned. This is WC.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 PM   #520
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
My soccer knowledge is limited. I follow MLS, Champions League, EUFA Cupr, World Cup and the FIFA video games... and I losely follow Svenska and Eredivise because of my friends in Sweden and Holland... all the other leagues I might just watch the championship game.

My top 15:

1. Germany
2. Holland
3. Brazil
4. Argentina
5. Spain
6. Portugal
7. Uruguay
8. Colombia
9. Italy
10 England
11. Belgium
12. Chile
10. Switzerland
11. France
12. Greece
13. Croatia
14. Ukraine
16. Denmark
17. Mexico

I guess the US could be competitive with 12 to 17 on that list, but it would still be an upset if we beat them. Although we were 1-0-1 against Mexico friendlies that I've watched.

Sweden didn't make it to the Cup due to tough regional schedule, but Zlatan Ibrahimovic is 10x better than anybody whose ever put on a US jersey.

That's just my opinion, and a lot of this is based on World Cup performances... Spain has dropped A LOT in my book.

I think Brazil will win it this year, but I'm excited for Hollands HUGE upset over Spain, and I think the Dutch will make a run for it again.
Sweeden didn't make it because Renaldo went beast mode on them and scored two goals completely on his own.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:41 PM   #521
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Sweeden didn't make it because Renaldo went beast mode on them and scored two goals completely on his own.
Sweedes kept drawing Portugal. And they lost.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:42 PM   #522
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
If we were in C Ivory Cost would be in G, that's what I was getting at. I was looking for groups without 3 strong contenders. Group D for example, would be impossible for the US. No matter what team you remove from that group, we couldn't generate enough points to advance. Do you see what I'm getting at?
I see where you are getting @ now.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:44 PM   #523
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
The US's biggest problem is that the talent pool and infrastructure to nurture said talent is lacking. Obviously, our best soccer players aren't playing soccer, but I do think the tides are turning. Five years ago, people in America didn't know what the EPL was. Now, their games are on NBC and their scores are part of the general scroll.

I also believe that parents will scale back on letting their kids play youth football, and you'll find more and more playing soccer. If these kids become very good, its not like they'll drop it to play football later on. I think we'll be contenders by 2022...wherever the hell they wind up playing it (im hoping qatar loses it)
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:46 PM   #524
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:

My top 15:

1. Germany
2. Holland
3. Brazil
4. Argentina
5. Spain
6. Portugal
7. Uruguay
8. Colombia
9. Italy
10 England
11. Belgium
12. Chile
10. Switzerland
11. France
12. Greece
13. Croatia
14. Ukraine
16. Denmark
17. Mexico

Zlatan is awesome, but the rest of sweden sucks.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #525
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post
I agree with this as well, and it's basically what JK has done. Leaving Landon Donovan home was good IMO. Could he be valuable off the bench? Probably. But I think it's time to stop living in the past and work towards the future.

And Freddy Adu was a huuuge disappointment. I believe he was pretty overrated since birth tho...if he had the enormous potential and talent to be world class for us, he would have. He had his chance in Europe and it didn't work out there either.
I mostly agree. Bringing landon wouldnt have won us anything, but im not sure leaving him home is a positive either. Its not like he was left off in favor of youth (brad davis?), nor is he the focal point of the team.

I guess I'm just indifferent to it, but if i had my choice, I'd like to see him play simply because of all the work he's put into the USMNT over the years.