The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #251
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Tough but not impossible draw. No better than 50/50 we make it out of group play.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #252
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Woot woot
Attached Images

Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #253
spiralism
Facta Non Verba

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
In 2002 Germany beat the USA 1-0 in a game the Americans could have easily won if they had better finishing. The won the possession battle 58%-42%, outshot Germany 11-6 and very much were in the game. The USA has repeatedly shown that they can and will play up (and down as well) to the level of their competition - see the 2009 Confederations Cup. I think the team the USA will send this year is more athletic and better than in any previous year and will give Germany a decent test. I agree that a win over Germany is unlikely, but I think a draw is more likely than a lot of people would like to admit.

It seems to me that team spirit and will are thing vastly underrated in international soccer and its something the Americans have in spades. it's something the USA has to do because they just don't have the skill or athleticism of the best nations in the world like Germany. During CONCACAF qualifying you see it all the time - the other countries will emotionally fold in tough situations, resigned to their fates, but the USA always fights hard and valiantly until the end in every match. Last gasp victories in places like Jamaica and Panama, while not acknowledged outside of the US even though these are incredibly tough places to win, show the team's unbelievable will and spirit. I'm confident in the USA's chances to cause a lot of trouble in the group as no team is as mentally tough as the USA.
I could see them drawing certainly, especially as its the final game and the stakes could vary for the two sides but a win i'd find improbable.

Team spirit and will aren't underrated at all though, especially in this sport when you consider Chelsea's run to the european cup in 2012 against far superior opposition and a whole host of other underdog stories. But you have to consider that this is a German side where at least half of them just won a European cup with Bayern a year after losing the final in their own backyard to a weaker team. They have plenty of mental strength.

Thing is that a lot of it will simply come down to execution and it's one thing when it's Jamaica and Panama and another when it's a German team with many of the best players in the world in an important game. I could see USA giving them a good game but Germany winning 1-0 for example.
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:59 AM   #254
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

1-1-1 is likely
1-0-2 is doable
2-1-0 is possible
2-0-1 would mean we are playing to the best of our potential and Jürgen was an amazing signing for the US
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #255
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
In 2002 Germany beat the USA 1-0 in a game the Americans could have easily won if they had better finishing. The won the possession battle 58%-42%, outshot Germany 11-6 and very much were in the game. The USA has repeatedly shown that they can and will play up (and down as well) to the level of their competition - see the 2009 Confederations Cup. I think the team the USA will send this year is more athletic and better than in any previous year and will give Germany a decent test. I agree that a win over Germany is unlikely, but I think a draw is more likely than a lot of people would like to admit.

It seems to me that team spirit and will are thing vastly underrated in international soccer and its something the Americans have in spades. it's something the USA has to do because they just don't have the skill or athleticism of the best nations in the world like Germany. During CONCACAF qualifying you see it all the time - the other countries will emotionally fold in tough situations, resigned to their fates, but the USA always fights hard and valiantly until the end in every match. Last gasp victories in places like Jamaica and Panama, while not acknowledged outside of the US even though these are incredibly tough places to win, show the team's unbelievable will and spirit. I'm confident in the USA's chances to cause a lot of trouble in the group as no team is as mentally tough as the USA.
America def has the athleticism, we dont have the skill of those euro teams though.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #256
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
America def has the athleticism, we dont have the skill of those euro teams though.
Agree 100%. Athleticism and physicality aren't issues in my eyes, it's using those skill sets to kick a ball where we are behind Europe/South America...
Old 12-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #257
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Another interesting aspect will be dealing with 3 varying styles of play. We open with dealing with flopping and crying to the refs for calls while looking for home run balls. We then move to having to cover a superstar who will additionally get calls going his way. After the frustration of having to deal with physicality hurting us, we then face a physical, skilled side who will try to push us around while still having the talent to score many goals. It will be a difficult variety to deal with but that's a reason to be in the WC, to challenge yourself against different styles from around the world.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #258
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You guys got a really tough group, four good teams.

Playing Germany last may be a blessing, chance they'll have qualified by then.

You're basically in a three way race for the other spot though, Germany are a tremendous team. Portugal are essentially a one man team, but it's a hell of a man... Ghana are well organised with some good players, but like the U.S lack any truly elite players.

Should be some good games.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #259
enjolras
Ring of Famer

It's a nightmare draw. The U.S. plays no defense. Our back is atrocious. You can make a case that the U.S. midfield (which is very good) can simply keep the ball away from the back for big chunks of the game.

That seems unlikely.

1-2-0 is my bet.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 02:11 PM   #260
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

i predict 1-1-1
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #261
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

0-2-1 is my bet, this is a really, really tough draw
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #262
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Go Netherlands!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #263
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

France in Group E?

maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #264
canadianbroncosfan
Pro Bowler

M.W.A. - Foreign Affairs Minister

canadianbroncosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #265
spiralism
Facta Non Verba

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Go Netherlands!
Hou van Holland!
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #266
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
I'm sorry guys though, i'd be very very surprised if USA were to advance from that group. Germany are arguably the team to beat in international football now and you can nearly guarantee they'll win the group, they won a more dificult group containing Holland, Portugal and Denmark in the euros a year ago. Would take a bad showing by Portugal to give USA any chance i feel and i'm going to back a side whose gameplan is to defend well and pass it to Ronaldo to do well.
Cool story. So which group is Ireland in again?
Karenin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #267
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
99% chance US wont be able to beat them.
Cool story. So you'll give me 99-1 on my money if I bet on the U.S. to beat Germany. I'll tell you what, I'll even give you 90-1. My $50 to your $4500 sound good?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #268
spiralism
Facta Non Verba

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenin View Post
Cool story. So which group is Ireland in again?
Is there really any need for that? We're a small country with 4 million people to your 300, we should be proud to even be able to hang with top teams when we do. Qualifying for a major tournament is a huge deal over here, whereas it's expected for you.

Also, i'd doubt USA would get out of a qualifying pool including Sweden, Austria and Germany, especially where the runner up had to beat Portugal to qualify. No chance USA would have got out of that group.

Oh and a novel bet, but no, being on the other side of the world and all.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #269
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Best case scenario I could see possibly happening.

We beat Ghana.
Germany beats Portugal.

We some pull off a miracle and beat Portugal.
Germany beats Ghana.

If this were to happen the last game is irrelevant.

Not likely but t is possible.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #270
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Is there really any need for that? We're a small country with 4 million people to your 300, we should be proud to even be able to hang with top teams when we do. Qualifying for a major tournament is a huge deal over here, whereas it's expected for you.

Also, i'd doubt USA would get out of a qualifying pool including Sweden, Austria and Germany, especially where the runner up had to beat Portugal to qualify. No chance USA would have got out of that group.

Don't worry about him. He has little man syndrome and gets angry for no reason.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:50 AM   #271
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

I do disagree with not getting out of the other group. Sweden is so wishy washy. Zlatan can score incredible goals and then not show up. He has done nothing in the WC.

It would be a lot easier. The Aussies would be a gimme, which Ghana is not, and Portugal is better than Sweden.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #272
Conklin
Ring of Famer

sorry to all the rapids fans, but SKC MLS Cup Champions!
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #273
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Quote:

He's not worth your time. He is both a mental and physical midget.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #274
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Didn't think so. Next.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #275
Karenin
Perennial Pro-bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
12-08-2013, 02:11 PM
Remove user from ignore list
DHallblows
This message is hidden because DHallblows is on your ignore list.
Cool story bro!