The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #226
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Current Standings:

HEXAGONAL

TEAM GP W L T GF GA DIFF. Pts.
CRC 7 4 1 2 10 4 +6 14
USA 7 4 2 1 8 6 +2 13
HON 7 3 3 1 8 8 0 10
MEX 7 1 1 5 4 4 0 8
PAN 7 1 2 4 5 7 -2 7
JAM 7 0 4 3 2 8 -6 3
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 AM   #227
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Current Standings:

HEXAGONAL

TEAM GP W L T GF GA DIFF. Pts.
CRC 7 4 1 2 10 4 +6 14
USA 7 4 2 1 8 6 +2 13
HON 7 3 3 1 8 8 0 10
MEX 7 1 1 5 4 4 0 8
PAN 7 1 2 4 5 7 -2 7
JAM 7 0 4 3 2 8 -6 3
Losing to Costa Rica on the road is excusable, but boy did last night go as bad as it possibly could. Losing Michael Bradley in warmups to injury seemed to send the team into chaos for the first half, then the decided to handicap themselves for the Mexico game Tuesday by getting Cameron, Besler and Altidore all suspended from it by picking up second yellow cards. Altidore, especially, was dumb dumb dumb. Final seconds of a game that was decided and he knocks over a guy right in front of a ref—it was like he didn't want to play Tuesday intentionally.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #228
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

We are going to Brazil!

Mexico is going...to Auckland. If they're lucky.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:32 PM   #229
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Huge win.

Also, I hate Dempsey. He is my least favorite player. He dives constabtly, doesnxt hustle, and is a joke. Why does he insist on taking PKs? He is miserable at them. It's like he has something to prove. ****ing man up and let LD take them. ****.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:01 PM   #230
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Huge win.

Also, I hate Dempsey. He is my least favorite player. He dives constabtly, doesnxt hustle, and is a joke. Why does he insist on taking PKs? He is miserable at them. It's like he has something to prove. ****ing man up and let LD take them. ****.
Congrats to the USMNT to qualify for the World Cup. Huge victory with the Honduras/Panama tie.

They will play in Brasil. Congrats team. Hats off to ya. World Cup is coming around the corner.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #231
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDman View Post
Huge win.

ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:27 AM   #232
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
T J Ward

Qualified! Bring on the world!
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #233
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

And to do it with a 2-0 shellacking of Mexico makes it even sweeter. Nice to see the Mexicans struggle. Those fans should be piss bombing their own team these days.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 02:01 AM   #234
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

World Cup 2022, in Qatar, played in January?

World Cup 2022: Uefa members back winter tournament in Qatar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24160879
Old 09-20-2013, 08:11 AM   #235
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
World Cup 2022, in Qatar, played in January?

World Cup 2022: Uefa members back winter tournament in Qatar

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24160879
So ****ing dumb. It just shouldn't be in Qatar period
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #236
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

USA sharing the division with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. Oof.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #237
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Such a ****ty draw
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 AM   #238
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Sorry for creating the other thread, forgot about this one.
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #239
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Such a ****ty draw
not quite slovenia, england, and algeria...ugh
Old 12-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #240
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller View Post
Such a ****ty draw
Indeed. Ghana has our number. Then there's Cristiano Ronaldo. Plus this little country called Germany. Oh well.
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #241
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

ugh

Almost any other Group would have been better, yeeesh. (other than D)
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:36 AM   #242
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
USA sharing the division with Germany, Portugal, and Ghana. Oof.
****...Ghana knocked us out last time...and Portugal and Germany? Oy vah...that's tough no matter who you are.

Last edited by Garcia Bronco; 12-06-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #243
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
****...Ghana knocked us out last time...and Portugal and Germany? Oy vah...that's tough no matter who you are.
and sadly, Ghana is the winnable game there. Portugal and Germany are gonna be real tough.

Who knows though, the US is more athletic, so maybe we can figure out how to score a major upset.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:42 AM   #244
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
and sadly, Ghana is the winnable game there. Portugal and Germany are gonna be real tough.

Who knows though, the US is more athletic, so maybe we can figure out how to score a major upset.
I know. Last time Ghana was taking shots from near half-field trying to dump it into the box and it actually worked rather well. We'll have to get lucky and play damn near perfect to make it out of that group. I was out-of-work for that month in 10 and it was sweet to get to watch damn near every match. Looking forward to this one.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #245
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
I know. Last time Ghana was taking shots from near half-field trying to dump it into the box and it actually worked rather well. We'll have to get lucky and play damn near perfect to make it out of that group
The good news is I think we're a much better team than we were 4 years ago, but we really need to figure out our line up. We have some talent, but not sure how well they compliment each other as of now.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #246
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Nasty draw, some reward for great play the last two years. Mexico have it a little easier, but not much, assuming Brazil win their group, they'll struggle to beat out Croatia who are every bit as good as them and play brilliantly as a team.

I'm sorry guys though, i'd be very very surprised if USA were to advance from that group. Germany are arguably the team to beat in international football now and you can nearly guarantee they'll win the group, they won a more dificult group containing Holland, Portugal and Denmark in the euros a year ago. Would take a bad showing by Portugal to give USA any chance i feel and i'm going to back a side whose gameplan is to defend well and pass it to Ronaldo to do well.

I notice Holland (who i'll be rooting for as i used to live there) drew Spain so a rematch of the last final is going to be both side's first game...interesting.

Last edited by spiralism; 12-06-2013 at 09:57 AM..
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #247
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

A couple thoughts:

1. At least we aren't Australia.

2. Ghana is a must win.

3. Portugal is beatable and very tieable.

4. I wish our travel wasn't going to be so ****ty.

5. This is the best USA side to travel to the World Cup.

6. We can make it out of this group.
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #248
spiralism
Pro Bowler

Fox MUST go

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Knowshon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
A couple thoughts:

1. At least we aren't Australia.

2. Ghana is a must win.

3. Portugal is beatable and very tieable.

4. I wish our travel wasn't going to be so ****ty.

5. This is the best USA side to travel to the World Cup.

6. We can make it out of this group.
You NEED at least a draw against Portugal and then hope things will go well elsewhere. They're not all that i agree but what they are is a seriously difficult side to beat. Aside from having Ronaldo they defend better than nearly any other international side, they are extremely difficult to break down. Even Spain who have dominated the sport for 4/5 years have struggled badly to score against them. Assume Germany will get at least 7 points if not the full nine. They should be favourites to win the whole thing, only there's some question marks about their coach being able to get them over the line as they choked in the Euro semis last year. 99% chance US wont be able to beat them.

Last edited by spiralism; 12-06-2013 at 10:28 AM..
spiralism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:44 AM   #249
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralism View Post
You NEED at least a draw against Portugal and then hope things will go well elsewhere. They're not all that i agree but what they are is a seriously difficult side to beat. Aside from having Ronaldo they defend better than nearly any other international side, they are extremely difficult to break down. Even Spain who have dominated the sport for 4/5 years have struggled badly to score against them. Assume Germany will get at least 7 points if not the full nine. They should be favourites to win the whole thing, only there's some question marks about their coach being able to get them over the line as they choked in the Euro semis last year. 99% chance US wont be able to beat them.
In 2002 Germany beat the USA 1-0 in a game the Americans could have easily won if they had better finishing. The won the possession battle 58%-42%, outshot Germany 11-6 and very much were in the game. The USA has repeatedly shown that they can and will play up (and down as well) to the level of their competition - see the 2009 Confederations Cup. I think the team the USA will send this year is more athletic and better than in any previous year and will give Germany a decent test. I agree that a win over Germany is unlikely, but I think a draw is more likely than a lot of people would like to admit.

It seems to me that team spirit and will are thing vastly underrated in international soccer and its something the Americans have in spades. it's something the USA has to do because they just don't have the skill or athleticism of the best nations in the world like Germany. During CONCACAF qualifying you see it all the time - the other countries will emotionally fold in tough situations, resigned to their fates, but the USA always fights hard and valiantly until the end in every match. Last gasp victories in places like Jamaica and Panama, while not acknowledged outside of the US even though these are incredibly tough places to win, show the team's unbelievable will and spirit. I'm confident in the USA's chances to cause a lot of trouble in the group as no team is as mentally tough as the USA.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #250
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkythefrog View Post
In 2002 Germany beat the USA 1-0 in a game the Americans could have easily won if they had better finishing. The won the possession battle 58%-42%, outshot Germany 11-6 and very much were in the game. The USA has repeatedly shown that they can and will play up (and down as well) to the level of their competition - see the 2009 Confederations Cup. I think the team the USA will send this year is more athletic and better than in any previous year and will give Germany a decent test. I agree that a win over Germany is unlikely, but I think a draw is more likely than a lot of people would like to admit.

It seems to me that team spirit and will are thing vastly underrated in international soccer and its something the Americans have in spades. it's something the USA has to do because they just don't have the skill or athleticism of the best nations in the world like Germany. During CONCACAF qualifying you see it all the time - the other countries will emotionally fold in tough situations, resigned to their fates, but the USA always fights hard and valiantly until the end in every match. Last gasp victories in places like Jamaica and Panama, while not acknowledged outside of the US even though these are incredibly tough places to win, show the team's unbelievable will and spirit. I'm confident in the USA's chances to cause a lot of trouble in the group as no team is as mentally tough as the USA.
Excellent response, couldn't have said it better myself!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote