The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Remembering training camp in Greeley

Terry Frei has a good article today looking back at the Broncos training camp in Greeley for 21 seasons.

From the article:

Ring of Fame linebacker Karl Mecklenburg was with the Broncos from 1983-94 and never went to training camp anywhere other than Greeley. He was a 12th-round draft choice in 1983, the same draft when Elway went to the Colts at No. 1 overall and Gary Kubiak went to the Broncos in the eighth round.

"I think there's an advantage to getting away with your teammates and kind of isolating yourself and spending some time together," Mecklenburg said. "That's one thing that's missed from not going to Greeley."

========

I actually used to go to training camp more often when it was in Greeley than I do today. My wife (who went to school at UNC) would wheel our twin sons around campus in a stroller while I watched the workouts. What memories do you have of watching Broncos training camp in Greeley?

Read the whole Terry Frei article here
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2018, 05:26 AM   #2
Rohirrim
Partisan

And so it goes...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Phillip Lindsay

I remember the smell.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
crowebomber
Ring of Famer

Old School Sucka Fool

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Frank Tripucka

I remember going up there in 1996 and after they ended just one guy who nobody knew came over to the crowd and stayed to sign every autograph. I remember someone saying "He's the guy who caught the touchdown against Washington." It was Rod Smith after his first year on the practice squad with just 6 receptions that first year. He always appreciated his opportunity.
crowebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:45 AM   #4
Ziggy
Ring of Famer

Noob

I loved going up and watching Dan Reeves run the players through 2-a-days. We'd watch the morning practice, go get a burger and a shake at the A&W drive in restaurant, and go back for the afternoon practice. Full pads every practice. Full contact every practice. They had more contact in one day than they do in an entire training camp now.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #5
qbronco
Lifelong Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lyle Alzado

I remember the heat, the smell, the small crowds, waiting a long time to get just a few autographs, getting autographs from another team when they had a joint practices, watching scouts taking notes, seeing young players like Shannon Sharpe, Rod Smith, Terrell Davis, and many others grow and improve, feeling like I was the luckiest guy on earth because I was getting a sneak preview of what was yet to come.
qbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Royce Freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I remember the smell.
No kidding. It was almost unbearable, especially in the heat.

I doubt the modern NFL player would submit to going to TC there.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Bronc62
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This old-timer has been to Bronco training camps at 58th Ave/I-25, Ft.Collins, Greeley and Dove Valley.
Bronc62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #8
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

I remember it. It was the only reason to go to Greeley. It felt like it took my friend's dad about three hours to drive there Boulder.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:30 PM   #9
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Does Terry Frei have a regular column with the Greeley Tribune now?

I sincerely felt bad for him, with the way things ended with the Denver Post. Although, it might have ultimately been a good thing, considering the sorry current state of the Post.

But while I think that his comments about the Indy 500 were ill-advised, I didn't think they were worthy of the kickback that he ended up getting.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Due west

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomCasual View Post
Does Terry Frei have a regular column with the Greeley Tribune now?

I sincerely felt bad for him, with the way things ended with the Denver Post. Although, it might have ultimately been a good thing, considering the sorry current state of the Post.

But while I think that his comments about the Indy 500 were ill-advised, I didn't think they were worthy of the kickback that he ended up getting.
Yes he does.

Yeah, it was a weird tweet ( I think it was a tweet), but wasn't like overtly awful. I think the DP just used it as an excuse to lose some of their heavy salaried sports staff.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #11
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronc62 View Post
This old-timer has been to Bronco training camps at 58th Ave/I-25, Ft.Collins, Greeley and Dove Valley.
I've been to Ft Collins and Greeley camps. Used to ride my bike to CSU and watch them with several friends, and my Dad occasionally!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:19 PM   #12
DomCasual
The Mad Dommer!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Stout View Post
Yes he does.

Yeah, it was a weird tweet ( I think it was a tweet), but wasn't like overtly awful. I think the DP just used it as an excuse to lose some of their heavy salaried sports staff.
I get a call about once a week from them, since I cancelled my subscription. Each time, they ask, "We just wanted to check to see if there was anything we could do to get you to resubscribe." I ask, "Have you gotten rid of the owner?"

It's one of those meaningless things in life that give you at least a little satisfaction.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #13
JPPT1974
Skies of October

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning!

Terry is an expert at camps. Good for him!
JPPT1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #14
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit

Two camps at Cal Poly-Pomona, 1972-3. Tom Jackson and Otis Armstrong as rookies.
broncogary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #15
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

I used to go to a summer camp at UNC in late July. One of the activities we had was to go watch camp. First round pick Steve Atwater took us out on the field and signed autographs, which was cool. But for me, the highlight was when I saw John Elway walking into his dorm. I just happened to have a 1983 Topps Elway card that I had him sign for me. I still have that card.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #16
orange skier
Who is Kyle Sloter..?

30 runs per game: we're unbeatable

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Swag-ster

We used to drive down from the mountains. We’d schedule the morning practice then head to one of the many golf courses to catch 18 holes. Shotgun Willie’s till we couldn’t stand up......then some cheap hotel for a few hours of sleep, and get up and do it again. Wonderful memories. Wonderful. I remember the Duke when he walked out his first season. He was a consummate left fielder. When we saw his arm, we knew, we just knew.
orange skier is offline   Reply With Quote