The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default "Assault weapons" in Context: Hunting Calibers

In terms of hunting calibers, which the .223 is, it's a pea shooter, most worthy of smaller game, yet the media and certain political sectors of our society would have us believe it's some massive round.

Graphic and explanatory article of hunting bullets at site link.

Hunting 101: Bullet caliber

See graphic here. Very large size.
  Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Dang ol' got me a few coyotes whoopin' and doopin' with dat Remington .223 man got a lot of kick and go like boom.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #3
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Dang ol' got me a few coyotes whoopin' and doopin' with dat Remington .223 man got a lot of kick and go like boom.
Have fun, just handle your gun safely.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,929

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Nice job completely misunderstanding the problem.

(hint: the .223 is used by the military, and it's job ain't killing dem there varmints)
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Back in the 80's in eastern Colorado the farmers and ranchers welcomed varmint hunters to shoot prairie dog on their land. You could go out and spend the day popping prairie dogs at 200 plus yards. The caliber of choice was the 222, 22-250, 223, 218 bee, and 220 swift, all centerfire cartridges that could be reloaded on the back of the pickup bed. Guys had a blast tinkering with the bullet grain and the different DuPont powders. The scope of choice back then was a Redfield made in Denver.

None of these calibers were legal for deer or elk and certainly wouldn't be considered the choice for a assault weapon.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:08 PM   #6
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 23,276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
Have fun, just handle your gun safely.
I'm Kurt Cobain'in it baby.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,929

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Back in the 80's in eastern Colorado the farmers and ranchers welcomed varmint hunters to shoot prairie dog on their land. You could go out and spend the day popping prairie dogs at 200 plus yards. The caliber of choice was the 222, 22-250, 223, 218 bee, and 220 swift, all centerfire cartridges that could be reloaded on the back of the pickup bed. Guys had a blast tinkering with the bullet grain and the different DuPont powders. The scope of choice back then was a Redfield made in Denver.

None of these calibers were legal for deer or elk and certainly wouldn't be considered the choice for a assault weapon.

.. NATO 5.56 = .223 caliber.

The .223 rem cartridge is slightly different than the 5.56NATO, but the calibre is the same.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
DBruleU
Ring of Famer
 
DBruleU's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Boulder
Posts: 3,702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
Back in the 80's in eastern Colorado the farmers and ranchers welcomed varmint hunters to shoot prairie dog on their land. You could go out and spend the day popping prairie dogs at 200 plus yards. The caliber of choice was the 222, 22-250, 223, 218 bee, and 220 swift, all centerfire cartridges that could be reloaded on the back of the pickup bed. Guys had a blast tinkering with the bullet grain and the different DuPont powders. The scope of choice back then was a Redfield made in Denver.

None of these calibers were legal for deer or elk and certainly wouldn't be considered the choice for a assault weapon.
I just spent Christmas at my wife's grandfathers ranch on WY killing prairie dogs. Those things exploded when shot...pink mist all over the place.
DBruleU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:34 PM   #9
elsid13
Lost In Space
 
elsid13's Avatar
 
Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: DC
Posts: 19,743
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
.. NATO 5.56 = .223 caliber.

The .223 rem cartridge is slightly different than the 5.56NATO, but the calibre is the same.
The way a round is constructed make a major difference. Calibre is one of the factors of the round effectiveness. Remember modern military rounds are not designed to kill.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Nice job completely misunderstanding the problem.

(hint: the .223 is used by the military, and it's job ain't killing dem there varmints)
You're not all there, are you? You made claim, now state your source. Mine has already been shown. Further,

For sale in bulk to the public

More bulk ammo for sale to the public

Please don't tell me you're basing this all on scary media reports.

James Holmes bought his stuff legal and over the counter, including bulk ammo.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,929

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyuk nyuk View Post
You're not all there, are you? You made claim, now state your source. Mine has already been shown. Further,

For sale in bulk to the public

More bulk ammo for sale to the public

Please don't tell me you're basing this all on scary media reports.

James Holmes bought his stuff legal and over the counter, including bulk ammo.
You're the one off your rocker. I don't recall anyone making the claim that the .223 is "some massive round" or that the calibre of the round was the problem with the AR-15. But, continue to tilt against that strawman if you feel the desire.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:06 PM   #12
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
.. NATO 5.56 = .223 caliber.

The .223 rem cartridge is slightly different than the 5.56NATO, but the calibre is the same.
The 223 Remington is a sporting cartridge and is loaded to lower pressures and velocities as compared to 5.56 NATO a military cartridge. Yes they have the same size diameter bullet but the military cases are made with thicker brass and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. The 223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 NATO chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination.

The 223 Remington is very popular in the assault style weapon sold to the public but it's still a sporting cartridge excellent for coyotes and other small predators.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"
 
Pony Boy's Avatar
 
Omaha !!!

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 7,614

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBruleU View Post
I just spent Christmas at my wife's grandfathers ranch on WY killing prairie dogs. Those things exploded when shot...pink mist all over the place.
I haven't been in years but it has to be awesome with some of the new rifles and optics available in today’s market. I’ve heard Wy and Mt are like Colorado was in the 80’s, the ranchers are begging people to come shoot them.
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,929

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
The 223 Remington is a sporting cartridge and is loaded to lower pressures and velocities as compared to 5.56 NATO a military cartridge. Yes they have the same size diameter bullet but the military cases are made with thicker brass and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. The 223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 NATO chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination.

The 223 Remington is very popular in the assault style weapon sold to the public but it's still a sporting cartridge excellent for coyotes and other small predators.
Yep, you can load a slightly higher pressure round in a 5.56 NATO chambered weapon, which is available to the public if you so choose.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
nyuk nyuk
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I'm Kurt Cobain'in it baby.
That's wonderful news.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #16
Dukes
Ring of Famer
 
Dukes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 6,161
Default

Here's a good write up on the exact differences of 5.56 and .223 if anyone is interested.

http://www.gundigest.com/ammunition-...es/223-vs-5-56
Dukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:27 PM.


Denver Broncos