The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM
Default thoughts on the RB position

Seems to me that we have some uncertainty @ RB heading into 2013. I'm seeing lots of folks putting this as a need in the upcoming draft. I'm not sure if that's critical or not.

Here's what we have:

Willis McGahee - will be turning 32 next season. Under contract thru 2014 for $2.5M and then $2M next year. Willis is a good player, he's a guy that can get us the short yardage. I don't see him being as much of an every down back any more, I see Willis having more of a Bettis role moving forward. I don't believe he has the best hands, so I'm not really sure he's the guy you want on the field when Manning is doing his thing.

Knowshon Moreno - will be 26 by the start of training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for between $1.7M and $2.6M, depending on how his bonus is structured. I saw lots of good stuff from Moreno this year, it seems like he has turned his game around and things are slowing down for him. I think he has the potential to be an Addai-type role-player because he has good hands and is decent in space. However, I am concerned about his durability. I'm still not sure what happened to him in the playoff game.

Ronnie Hillman - will turn 22 in November. Under contract thru 2015 for $480k this year. We need to see Ronnie develop his game, he doesn't seem to have "it", not just yet. goes down on the first contact, doesn't seem really all that elusive nor fast. I think there is potential there, but at this point, Hillman is not someone I trust for more than occasional use.

Jacob Hester - will be 28 by training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for $715k. Obviously, he's a McGahee fill-in - short yardage back, limited value. Not all that impressed with his <3.0 ypc in three out of 4 games played.

Chris Gronkowski - RFA. Not needed as a FB, he should be considered a special teamer only.

Lance Ball - RFA. Not sure he has a role moving forward.

so that's what we have. A big back with some miles and bum knees, a back who is finally getting it but has never broken a big one who also has bum knees, a shifty guy who hasn't quite blossomed, and a bigger short yardage guy who, frankly, isn't very good. There's a lot of pieces here, but I don't see the whole package anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Broncos bring in someone to shore this up.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

One name I'd be very interested in bringing in is DeAngelo Williams. He has familiarity with Fox and Magazu's running game. He put up 210 vs NO last year, he can still run. Not active in the passing game lately, but he did have ~ 20-30 catches/year his first few years in a time-share. Panthers are in cap-trouble and with a new GM, there will be a blood-letting. DeAngelo very well could be available.

I'm not sure how DeAngelo would fit with McGahee and Moreno though - not sure there is room for all three.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

I'd like to cut mcgahee and forget to resign Ball, then go draft Stepfan Taylor, and let him, moreno, and jeremiah johnson compete for the job.

Last edited by spdirty; 01-22-2013 at 08:33 AM..
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

It's time to totally rebuild the RB position. I really think Elway will focus on this spot this yr.

Mcgahee- Maybe Broncos should just cut him and move on. He's old, lacks burst, fumbled a lot and then got injured pretty bad.

Moreno- Can't be counted on to stay healthy or make big plays

Hillman- A nice RB that can be part of our attack but he lacks the size needed to do it on his own. Also I was bummed he didn't look more wiggly when he runs. He reminds me of a straight ahead speed guy nothing more.

Ball- BORING! and avg

Hester- Has a place on the teams back end of the roster but nothing that says dont draft a RB lol.

I think dropping Mcgahee for DeAngelo Williams would be interesting but it still might be wise to draft another RB.

I don't mind the FA route at RB though I think they can step in and play pretty well the first yr.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #5
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Have McGahee tearfully announce that it's his last season and ride the refs all the way to the Superbowl
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

My two cents, which may develop since I have just gotten into examining this year's crop of collegiate talent.

1. Spend a third rounder and draft Le'Veon Bell (I may be late to this party, but this guys looks perfect for the Fox system).
2. Moreno stays as #2, or call him 1b, whatever. Split his carries, and you increase his longevity. That TD reception against the Ravens was sick, absolutely sick. He has really progressed and definitely an asset at his price tag.
3. Hillman continues to develop. We don't really know what to expect of him yet. We will probably see "all that he has" by training camp next year. Will he be bigger? Stronger? Quicker? This offseason may be instrumental in deciding whether his career is one of a "change of pace," or in a starting rotation. I honestly think he started this year a little afraid. If you listen to his interviews, he just came off that way and it is understandable given his size and age. Next training camp will be telling.
4. Keep Lance Ball. There, I said it. He has been good for the team, and is a good special teamer on the cheap. If you find someone that can play ST just as well, so be it. Upgrade if you can, but he's a cheap backup at this point. I love developing extra linebackers on ST, but we do need RB depth.
5. Release Hester and Gronkowski, I don't see where a fullback contributes to this system. We used Hester for a few goal line plays, but we were equally successful in those situations when we put in Unrein as a blocking back. We could use several players in this FB role including Virgil Green. All our RB's should be as good as these guys at pass pro, or they shouldn't be out there. If I kept one of these two, it would definitely be Hester because of his pass pro. He would certainly be cheap, but upgrading the RB position should make him more expendable.

My 2 cents.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
It's time to totally rebuild the RB position. I really think Elway will focus on this spot this yr.

Mcgahee- Maybe Broncos should just cut him and move on. He's old, lacks burst, fumbled a lot and then got injured pretty bad.

Moreno- Can't be counted on to stay healthy or make big plays

Hillman- A nice RB that can be part of our attack but he lacks the size needed to do it on his own. Also I was bummed he didn't look more wiggly when he runs. He reminds me of a straight ahead speed guy nothing more.

Ball- BORING! and avg

Hester- Has a place on the teams back end of the roster but nothing that says dont draft a RB lol.

I think dropping Mcgahee for DeAngelo Williams would be interesting but it still might be wise to draft another RB.

I don't mind the FA route at RB though I think they can step in and play pretty well the first yr.
I disagree about McGahee, he's still very productive. If I'm the Broncos I keep him. If the Broncos decide to cut loose a few RBs it should be Moreno, Ball and Hester.

The Broncos can try to bring in another FA RB (I like Mendenhall) or try to infuse more youth at the RB position by the draft.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Draft Stephan Taylor.
The guy is the perfect RB for the DEN offense. Go get a young, talented, playmaker that can already run inside or out, catch outta the backfield, and is an excellent blocking back.

And no to DeAngelo Williams. Hes 29, soon to be 30 in April.
His contract is massive.
And hes injured too much as well.
DeAngelo is just a more expensive McGahee.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think in today's NFL you build your RB corps the same way you build an offensive line - a lot of middle to later round picks with a few bargain free agents. I think we should draft one, but not any higher than round three at most. If there is someone out there who can be had for a decent price, I'd be ok with that too. Not both.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think in today's NFL you build your RB corps the same way you build an offensive line - a lot of middle to later round picks with a few bargain free agents. I think we should draft one, but not any higher than round three at most. If there is someone out there who can be had for a decent price, I'd be ok with that too. Not both.
Agreed on all points.

Grab a competitor in rounds 3-5, pick up someone like Hillis to make Gronk and Hester expendable. May the best backs win.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Cut WM. Love his time here, but he is old and coming back from injury. Cut him and DJ and go after Steven Jackson. Would make our running game instantly way better!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #12
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
One name I'd be very interested in bringing in is DeAngelo Williams. He has familiarity with Fox and Magazu's running game. He put up 210 vs NO last year, he can still run. Not active in the passing game lately, but he did have ~ 20-30 catches/year his first few years in a time-share. Panthers are in cap-trouble and with a new GM, there will be a blood-letting. DeAngelo very well could be available.

I'm not sure how DeAngelo would fit with McGahee and Moreno though - not sure there is room for all three.
DeAngelo got a ridiculous contract not that long ago. Too much money for someone that old especially when instead of shuffling a pick or picks to get him we can get a guy like Lacy in the 2nd for 20% of Williams salary
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Bacchus

Quote:
Seems to me that we have some uncertainty @ RB heading into 2013. I'm seeing lots of folks putting this as a need in the upcoming draft. I'm not sure if that's critical or not.

Here's what we have:

Willis McGahee - will be turning 32 next season. Under contract thru 2014 for $2.5M and then $2M next year. Willis is a good player, he's a guy that can get us the short yardage. I don't see him being as much of an every down back any more, I see Willis having more of a Bettis role moving forward. I don't believe he has the best hands, so I'm not really sure he's the guy you want on the field when Manning is doing his thing.

Knowshon Moreno - will be 26 by the start of training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for between $1.7M and $2.6M, depending on how his bonus is structured. I saw lots of good stuff from Moreno this year, it seems like he has turned his game around and things are slowing down for him. I think he has the potential to be an Addai-type role-player because he has good hands and is decent in space. However, I am concerned about his durability. I'm still not sure what happened to him in the playoff game.

Ronnie Hillman - will turn 22 in November. Under contract thru 2015 for $480k this year. We need to see Ronnie develop his game, he doesn't seem to have "it", not just yet. goes down on the first contact, doesn't seem really all that elusive nor fast. I think there is potential there, but at this point, Hillman is not someone I trust for more than occasional use.

Jacob Hester - will be 28 by training camp. Under contract thru 2013 for $715k. Obviously, he's a McGahee fill-in - short yardage back, limited value. Not all that impressed with his <3.0 ypc in three out of 4 games played.

Chris Gronkowski - RFA. Not needed as a FB, he should be considered a special teamer only.

Lance Ball - RFA. Not sure he has a role moving forward.

so that's what we have. A big back with some miles and bum knees, a back who is finally getting it but has never broken a big one who also has bum knees, a shifty guy who hasn't quite blossomed, and a bigger short yardage guy who, frankly, isn't very good. There's a lot of pieces here, but I don't see the whole package anywhere. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Broncos bring in someone to shore this up.
Don't forget Jeremiah Johnson and Fannin.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Steven Jackson would be awesome, in this offense. He needs to forget about the Rams, and go to a team that has a chance to hoist the Lombardi...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #15
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I disagree about McGahee, he's still very productive. If I'm the Broncos I keep him. If the Broncos decide to cut loose a few RBs it should be Moreno, Ball and Hester.

The Broncos can try to bring in another FA RB (I like Mendenhall) or try to infuse more youth at the RB position by the draft.
I would be ok with keeping him one more year if the coaches feel he comes back from injury. I just think the search for a true lead runner continues. A rent a vet approach in FA could be smart though because Manning needs smart players quick.

I just think out of all positions RBs seem to come along the quickest. You see a lot ofo rookie runners contribute right away. I like Hillman just not as the only young back on the roster with upside.

I agree Moreno imo only sticks if nothing works out in TC and Broncos only have him to fall back on. Otherwise i see him hitting the pavement.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #16
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Agreed. Hillman sticks for sure and maybe Moreno if he takes pay cut. I say wash rest out draft and sign couple cheap players and let battle begin for the job. I like Taylor from stanford in the 3 rd if he is there.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM   #17
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I'd like to cut mcgahee and forget to resign Ball, then go draft Stepfan Taylor, and let him, moreno, and jeremiah johnson compete for the job.

Jeremiah Johnson

yes the team is not playing him to save him for competition next year.......
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #18
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

my three favorite backs in this draft are Lacy,Bernard and Gillislee. i like Lattimore as a 4th-5th round bargain who could turn into a stud.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
DeAngelo got a ridiculous contract not that long ago. Too much money for someone that old especially when instead of shuffling a pick or picks to get him we can get a guy like Lacy in the 2nd for 20% of Williams salary
well, his monster contract had a lot in signing bonus, which I think would not be transferred in trade. His cap numbers are as follows:

2013: $5M
2014: $6M
2015: $7M

source

That's still an awful lot, especially considering dead money we would be dealing with by cutting McGahee.

I doubt DeAngelo would take a pay-cut to come here; if he were to take a pay-cut, it would be to stay in Carolina. Panthers could cut him outright, in which case we probably wouldn't want to be in the bidding war for his services. so, yeah...DeAngelo probably isn't coming here.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:16 AM   #20
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:

Gunns will be here shortly to enlighten you on why he sucks and why that would be a horrible move.

After the contract he signed with Carolina I now agree with her (not sure what he is still owed). From a performance POV I would love to have him in Denver.

edit: just saw above message, way to much coin.

Last edited by Drunk Monkey; 01-22-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 AM   #21
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Dynamic play-makers both at RB and slot receiver are areas of weakness imo. We have some solid players, but nobody who's really a threat to jump cut and go vertical.

Willis McGahee-I like Willis. Honestly, I think the Mane is a bit rough on him. If he's splitting carries with KM or Hillman, I think we beat Bmore. I agree 100 percent, that he's basically a goaline/short-yardage back at this point (which was basically what he was supposed to be originally to KM.) We'll have to see how he recovers from this latest injury.

KM-Proved me wrong this year. I think he's a decent grinder between the tackles. I think he's the best blocking back and receiving back we have. He's also relatively cheap next year. That being said, teams don't fear Knowshon Moreno. He's certainly a guy that can help you out and get some carries to spell a feature back. On third and 8, he's a great safety valve and pass-protecting back. But between his explosiveness limitations and injuries, we need an upgraded starter.

Hillman-Had a decent game against Baltimore. He needs to get physically stronger. He had elite speed in the MWC, but it hasn't translated completely to the NFL. Still seems like he can catch an edge at the NFL level, but had trouble making people miss in space. He seems to be a pretty willing blocker, but he's too damn small and not strong enough yet to do it consistently. PFM didn't trust him this year. I think he'll make some strides this year, but I don't think he's going to be an Arian Foster. I think his ceiling is to be a really nice change of pace back, not a feature RB.

Ball, Hester and Company are basically camp fodder next year. Ball also had a few noticeable screwups on special teams this year as well.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
SlyEli

I'm curious to see the jump hillman makes from year one to year two. Still has a lot to figure out.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #23
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

I thought Hillman played admirably against Baltimore and really gave me reason to believe that he is going to be a factor next year. Dude was the youngest player in the NFL this year and has ability, just needs some time and even in his time this year he got progressively better at everything from hitting the hole, power running and even pass protection. I think people will be pleasantly surprised with him next year.

With that said, I think we have a lot of nice parts for a running game, but unless Hillman takes a huge step rather than the nice step I anticipate, we don't have any explosive great backs; however, I don't know if there are any explosive great backs that we can pick up in FA or the draft where we are drafting, so I am not convinced that we need to add anything more to the stable we have other than perhaps some better depth.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i like Hillman a lot, i just think we need a sure fire pound it back who can take 20+ carries a game and allow us to use Hillman as a 15-20 touches guy(running and receiving.)
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #25
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

to me Hillman is the only question mark on whether or not we bring in a young stud RB. Are they going to wait for him to develop in year 2 or just assume what we all know that his is a 3rd down and GREAT back up back.

No doubt in my mind that we will draft or bring in competition at RB and let Ball and possibly Hester go
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote