The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"
Default Gerald Hodges LB PSU

Notes from the Shrine bowl game about him.

Gerald Hodges, OLB, Penn State
The Penn State standout didn't receive the opportunity to play in a bowl game, but he made up for it with an impressive week of practice at the East-West Shrine. Hodges was a tough run defender who showed nice speed to the perimeter. He was physical in the tackle box with the power to take on blockers and hold his ground.

NFL teams love versatility, and Hodges showed that at the East-West practices. He played middle and outside linebacker in a 4-3 set. That could lead to some teams could play Hodges on the inside, but at the very least he should be able to handle middle responsibilities if an injury occurred.

As a senior, Hodges played really well with 109 tackles, 8.5 tackles for a loss, seven passes broken up, one forced fumble and two interceptions in 2012. He still has room for improvement with shedding blocks, but with good development he could be a starter in the NFL.

01/15/2013 - EAST WEST SHRINE GAME - MONDAY PRACTICE: In my Shrine Game defensive preview, I predicted Penn State outside linebacker Gerald Hodges might be the highest drafted player from this week. After one practice, I'm standing by that. Without full pads, almost all the drills were limited contact, but that didn't stop Hodges from seeking out the ballcarrier and tackling him with pop. Since he was snubbed from the Senior Bowl, some thought he might not take this week as seriously, but so far, that couldn't be further from the truth. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

Penn State linebacker Gerald Hodges stood out all day. He was a natural in the linebacker drills and seemed to pick up the defensive plays faster than other players during the install session. Hodges performed well in the scrimmages defending the run and pass. It was nice to see Hodges get depth in his zone drops. He was able to get in on stops of receivers downfield as a result. His pass coverage was probably his biggest question mark, but he showed three-down potential on Monday. Clearly, Hodges is one of the most polished players on either squad.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2013, 11:14 AM   #2
Paladin
Ring of Famer

Another one from Linebacker U?
Paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #3
Bmore Manning

Yeah I mentioned him in the MLB thread.. Talented and versatile, he could potentially be a three down Mike, even though he is listed as an OLB.. If only Mauti could stay healthy..many think he's an even better prospect..
Old 01-30-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Yeah I mentioned him in the MLB thread.. Talented and versatile, he could potentially be a three down Mike, even though he is listed as an OLB.. If only Mauti could stay healthy..many think he's an even better prospect..
I wanted people to read see that they did play him at MLB in practices.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I wanted people to read see that they did play him at MLB in practices.
Mauti in the fifth-sixth or Hodges in the second-third..?
Old 01-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Mauti in the fifth-sixth or Hodges in the second-third..?
You don't think Hodges is going that high do you? I thought he was more of a 4th rounder.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Bmore Manning

Quote:
You don't think Hodges is going that high do you? I thought he was more of a 4th rounder.
I thought he was projected as a second-third rounder, especially after Senior Bowl week..
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I thought he was projected as a second-third rounder, especially after Senior Bowl week..
He was snubbed from the Senior Bowl.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Bmore Manning

Quote:
He was snubbed from the Senior Bowl.
"Senior Bowl Week" he participated in a few days of drills. He was pegged a third rounder prior to standing out in limited time. Maybe he drops further..?
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
"Senior Bowl Week" he participated in a few days of drills. He was pegged a third rounder prior to standing out in limited time. Maybe he drops further..?
Was he a late add?

01/15/2013 - EAST WEST SHRINE GAME - MONDAY PRACTICE: In my Shrine Game defensive preview, I predicted Penn State outside linebacker Gerald Hodges might be the highest drafted player from this week. After one practice, I'm standing by that. Without full pads, almost all the drills were limited contact, but that didn't stop Hodges from seeking out the ballcarrier and tackling him with pop. Since he was snubbed from the Senior Bowl, some thought he might not take this week as seriously, but so far, that couldn't be further from the truth. - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Was he a late add?

I mistook Senior Bowl Week for the Shrine Game practices..?
Old 01-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #12
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Well, either way, hes looking good, has good pedigree, and seems to be humble.
I like it. Someone with real full-time ability at the NFL level, but needs some refinement. Perfect place for him is DEN with Fox and JDR.
I still say its
1 Kevin Minter
2A/B Chase Thomas-Arthur Brown
3 Kiko Alonso
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #13
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Honestly I think we need a SLB that can play M LB in certain packages more then a true MLB. That way we don't have to drop Miller back in coverage as much. Dayrl Smith is my choice for that as a FA, and reading more about Hodges I think he could be one of the better choices for that in the draft.

http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefoo...linebacke.html

It was his defining game in a breakout season.

Gerald Hodges, Penn State's returning first-team All-Big Ten outside linebacker, was never better in 2011 than he was on a chilly, snowy late October Saturday afternoon at Beaver Stadium.

Hodges was the dominant player in a game dominated by defense, as Penn State rallied to edge Illinois 10-7 to give the late Joe Paterno his then-landmark 409th victory.

Hodges' day? Nineteen tackles and a sack. He would finish with a team-high 106 stops playing weak-side linebacker for the Lions.

"It was exciting, it was an exciting game,'' Hodges said Wednesday, a few days before 2-2 PSU faces 2-2 Illnois Saturday in Champaign, Ill.

"We're just hopefully going to come out on top [Saturday], start the Big Ten [season], you know, with a win. Last year was definitely a great victory for. New year, we got new coaches on both sides I'm just excited to get out there and just play.''

A lot has happened since the last PSU-Illinois contest. The Lions continue to "move forward" in the words of first-year head coach Bill O'Brien.

And Hodges, a 6-2, 237-pound senior, has moved over.

He is now playing the strong side and is second on the team -- behind new weak-side linebacker Michael Mauti -- in tackles with 30. He has a tackle for loss, two passes defensed, an interception and a fumble recovery.

Penn State linebacker Michael Mauti leads the team in tackles with 42. Gerald Hodges is second with 30.
JOE HERMITT, The Patriot-News
Hodges said the position switch has been a significant adjustment for him.

"I wouldn't say they're running away from me,'' Hodges said. "Last year, I was on the weak side.''

"They [PSU's defensive coaches] trust me on the strong side,'' Hodges continued.

"They put me in a new position and trust that I can do it. I think the most difficult part, you know, is lining up outside the box [near scrimmage] and still trying to get inside the box for certain rushers.''

New defensive coordinator Ted Roof is different in approach than the former one, Tom Bradley. Hodges seems to like Roof's aggressive style. He is a frequent blitzer.

"Last year's defense was kind of sit back and play your responsibilities,'' Hodges said.

"This year they give you the chance to run around a little bit, make your own plays, as long as you take care of your assignment.''

And yes, Hodges also admitted that he and Mauti, another senior, try to "one-up" each other during games. Mauti has 42 tackles, two tackles for loss and two forced fumbles.

"I wouldn't say we're competing out there,'' Hodges said, referring to Mauti.

"It's just a natural competition for both of us. When you see him making a good play, that drives me to make a good play.''

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: