The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #26
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Another huge overeaction to one game.

Bailey/Harris/Carter were one of the best 3 combo of CB's in the NFL last year and aside from Carter's game against Alexander all 3 had superb regular seasons. Champ played at an all-pro level and played 17 games in single coverage with no safety help whatsoever. Sure he had a bad game against the Ravens but in truth who the hell didn't have a bad game

The Broncos have 4 corners currently on the roster who will all be back next year and whilst it will be a need in terms of replacing Bailey long-term, it will be nowhere near the dire need you think it is as compared to MLB, DT or SS.
Champ would be the best SS in the NFL, and could play there until Manning retires. That's the main benefit to moving him.

He can no longer guard elite WR's in single-man coverage...so he would have greater value to the team in the middle of the field, where he would be involved in nearly every play. Then sign an FA CB...two birds with one stone. Then you have the resources to draft whoever you want in the 1st round (MLB/DT/OL...whoever). Problems solved.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:46 AM   #27
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Harsh... When should we be expecting one from you?
Likely after Senior Bowl week.

Problems with this draft in a more constructive manner:

First -- From a personal standpoint, it is hard to imagine Williams being the BPA for this team @ 28. This guy is a solid player, but I think we have the potential for more impact at our selection than him. Personal preference would be different, but I don't see that guy as a Top 32 value in this draft. There will be better players on board.

Second -- Haven't seen MG of the Gators higher than a third round pick in any mock, and those third round mocks were few and far between because you are going to find way better players than him available. I think CBS Sportsline has the highest ranking of him that I've seen.

If the Broncos are going to go for a back in the second round, he needs to offer something different than what we already have. I already saw Ciatrick Fason **** the bed in Minnesota, I don't want a Gator back here. IMO, another guy who bounces it outside, cannot pass protect and shows flashes as a receiver isn't really what we need or would be looking for. We already have Hillman, who is already going to have one year underneath his belt and is younger than most these guys coming in already.

If I'm looking to add a back, it is a guy like Le'Veon Bell who can pound it. I don't think he makes it to our third rounder so at the end of the second, he would probably be one of the better RB available. I think Joseph Randle can be a good pro too. I think Stepfan Taylor at the end of the third is a good value at this point in time and would make pretty decent backfield. Lattimore was my man until he blew his leg off, would be interesting to see where teams consider taking him. There are other guys I'm interested in, but nobody particularly high outside Bell.

I expect McGahee, Moreno and Hillman to all be back, but another selection is necessary at some point in time due to Willis age, Moreno's contract post-2013 and the fact that we need to get Lance Ball off the damn team.

Third -- Bailey and Robinson is interesting back to back, but double kill in my opinion. Fun as sh*t to watch, but if Ziggy believes those two guys would bring the team the most impact at those selections, I can't necessarily disagree with him. Last two picks can't be too picky about. All relatively early, but I just think there is a lot of value lost in this draft and I would prefer other people.

But hey, at least people are talking the draft.

Last edited by Requiem; 01-19-2013 at 09:51 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

First -- From a personal standpoint, it is hard to imagine Williams being the BPA for this team @ 28. This guy is a solid player, but I think we have the potential for more impact at our selection than him. Personal preference would be different, but I don't see that guy as a Top 32 value in this draft. There will be better players on board.

Second -- Haven't seen MG of the Gators higher than a third round pick in any mock, and those third round mocks were few and far between because you are going to find way better players than him available. I think CBS Sportsline has the highest ranking of him that I've seen.

If the Broncos are going to go for a back in the second round, he needs to offer something different than what we already have. I already saw Ciatrick Fason **** the bed in Minnesota, I don't want a Gator back here. IMO, another guy who bounces it outside, cannot pass protect and shows flashes as a receiver isn't really what we need or would be looking for. We already have Hillman, who is already going to have one year underneath his belt and is younger than most these guys coming in already.

If I'm looking to add a back, it is a guy like Le'Veon Bell who can pound it. I don't think he makes it to our third rounder so at the end of the second, he would probably be one of the better RB available. I think Joseph Randle can be a good pro too. I think Stepfan Taylor at the end of the third is a good value at this point in time and would make pretty decent backfield. Lattimore was my man until he blew his leg off, would be interesting to see where teams consider taking him. There are other guys I'm interested in, but nobody particularly high outside Bell.

I expect McGahee, Moreno and Hillman to all be back, but another selection is necessary at some point in time due to Willis age, Moreno's contract post-2013 and the fact that we need to get Lance Ball off the damn team.

Third -- Bailey and Robinson is interesting back to back, but double kill in my opinion. Fun as sh*t to watch, but if Ziggy believes those two guys would bring the team the most impact at those selections, I can't necessarily disagree with him. Last two picks can't be too picky about. All relatively early, but I just think there is a lot of value lost in this draft and I would prefer other people.

Yeah I'm glad people are staying involved with the team and improving it..

I didn't like the prospects in the draft, but he addressed the general areas of need, minus MLB.

I know this is biased but I really like my first mock, but there's no chance we get those players where I projected..

I really don't think Rhodes or Minter are there at 28.. And I love Kawann Short, but I also think Brandon Williams can be better than Short and we can get him in the third? Elam to me would be a good fit at FS.. Offensive line can be addressed in later rounds than the first, unless a top prospect falls. So then there's WR, there are some good ones available who could add a different dimension.

And then there's the sleeper position of DE. Drafting a DE would allow Wolfe to play DT full time. But I'd there a need for a DE given our plathora of options at DE, Hunter, Ayers, Beal, Jackson.. And then for scheme purposes you need a stout DE against the run, but someone who can generate pressure. I really like Oakfor, he is so complete and underrated. DB4L loves Hunt, but is he worth a first round pick to develop and not make an immediate impact?

So I see Elam, Short, or a WR as the best value and impact pick at 28. But DT is deep, and if you draft Elam does he play FS where he looks like a good fit and your giving up on Moore. Or do you take an impact WR..? I do like Hopkins..

Or do you trade out and get picks?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Just say no to Mack Brown players. Bmore check out Malliciah Goodman. Pretty positive he is a strong side DE.

Who holds the Clemson record for the amount of plays in a season by a defensive lineman?

Gaines Adams? Da'Quan Bowers?

The correct answer is Goodman, who was on the field for 767 plays last season in his first year as a starter for the Tigers.

In 2008, Clemson landed the consensus top high school recruit in Bowers, but a year later, the Tigers nabbed another highly-ranked defensive end from the prep ranks in Goodman. But because of the depth of Clemson's line, he didn't become a full-time starter until last season when he started all 14 games opposite Andre Branch.

Goodman didn't come close to Branch in terms of production with only 4.0 tackles for loss and 2.0 sacks, but he consistently found himself in the backfield, putting pressure on the quarterback.

At 280 pounds, Goodman isn't the quickest or most explosive rusher off the edge, but he works hard to the pocket and has the strength to handle blockers in one-on-one situations. If he can elevate his statistics as a senior, look for Goodman to improve his draft stock, which is currently in the mid-round range.

--Dane Brugler

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664260

STRENGTHS Powerful left end prospect with thick upper and lower body builds, could grow into five-technique if a team required it. Brings a serious punch with huge 11-inch hands, can control and pop off his man to make stops. Gets off the ball quickly for his size when in pass rush mode, bulling his man backwards or using his strength to work the outside shoulder. Also effective splitting double moves and beating guards when lined up inside on third down. Keeps his eyes in the backfield, will get his hands in passing lanes and shed and close to the quarterback if his man stops his feet when the play is extended.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...man?id=2539215

http://draftbreakdown.com/malliciah-goodman-vs-lsu-2012
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Bmore Manning

What round is he projected? Do you play Wolfe inside then?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #31
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
What round is he projected? Do you play Wolfe inside then?
2nd or 3rd. Like I said before odds are Wolfe was always meant to be played inside just injuries forced him to be played on the outside as well. I don't know why you keep saying he is too small to play inside as well. He is 300 pounds right now and I bet he is closer to 310 next year. Goodman, Wolfe, (Knigton, Williams or Vickerson) and Doom. I know we run with 3 DT's on the DL though right?

We could get Elam in the first round, Short or Sylvester Williams in the second, then Goodman in the thrid we would have a good young D. I'm still thinking we get Smith to play MLB or possibly convince Urlacher on the idea of getting a ring.

The more I read about Conner Vernon WR from Duke the more he is going to be a Broncos. 4th or 5th round grade from him.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../conner-vernon
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #32
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
2nd or 3rd. Like I said before odds are Wolfe was always meant to be played inside just injuries forced him to be played on the outside as well. I don't know why you keep saying he is too small to play inside as well. He is 300 pounds right now and I bet he is closer to 310 next year. Goodman, Wolfe, (Knigton, Williams or Vickerson) and Doom. I know we run with 3 DT's on the DL though right?

We could get Elam in the first round, Short or Sylvester Williams in the second, then Goodman in the thrid we would have a good young D. I'm still thinking we get Smith to play MLB or possibly convince Urlacher on the idea of getting a ring.

The more I read about Conner Vernon WR from Duke the more he is going to be a Broncos. 4th or 5th round grade from him.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p.../conner-vernon
I'm not against Wolfe playing inside, I am against it at his current weight, I would prefer see him add 15 pounds. I have no issue taking a DE, but.. my question is do we keep the scheme the same? If so I actually like Wolfe at DE, and prefer have the options behind him that we do for pass rushing downs.

Beal was highly rated coming out of Oklahoma, Ayers as well and he has shown improvement and quality in the rotation. Jackson could play the Wolfe role
and Hunter could be retained as he was projected to start. So that's 4 DEs there not counting Doom and Wolfe.. If we do go DE, I would like Oakfor because of how complete he is.. But there are lots of options at DE and I don't think we address it in the draft.

If we change the scheme, and use a Beal, Hunter, Ayers, or draft pick at DE, we would need to compensate with a big disruptive NT and a more downhill, physical MLB.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

I want youth on Defense. Bring in vets on offense.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #34
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Thanks for the input Req. I like Williams because he's stout against the run, demands double teams, and can collapse the pocket. The Broncos currently don't have a NT with all of those qualifications.

Gillislee offers quite a bit. If you're thinking that he can't block, then you haven't watched much of him the last 2 seasons. He was bad as a freshman. So much so that it cost him time on the field. He not only worked hard to correct it, but he became an excellent blocker. He's a solid inside/outside runner as well, and should run in the 4.45 range at the combine. I know that he's not being mocked high right now, but senior bowl practices are coming up. I expect his stock to rise throughout the week of practices. Doug Martin was a 3rd round prospect going into last year's senior bowl. His stock went through the roof between the time practices started and the draft. I expect Gillislee's to climb as well, though not as much as Martin's.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #35
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

7th is exactly where I had pegged McGee in my thread....although he impressed I believe at the Shrine practices this week.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #36
Ziggy
Pro Bowler

Noob

That's the issue with doing early mocks SoCal. These guys all have a chance to move up and down the boards during the all star games and combine. Burfict was the best example of that last season.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: