The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #1
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

Bring the pain

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default Ben "Super Freak" Garland may actually be the answer at LG

I'll start by saying I thought Ben Garland was an utter disaster last preseason and I was pissed when he made the team. I assumed he had made it because John Fox wanted to send some type of Rudy message to the team.

But since Elway wants to have him compete for the starting left guard job I decided to watch the second half of the Raiders game when Franklin was out with a concussion. Yes, the Raiders were mailing it in, but I was still pleasantly surprised. Garland was fantastic in the running game. He came off the ball quick, handled his assignment and did a great job in getting to the second level. He didn't dominate in pass protection but certainly held his own.

He wasn't invited to the 2010 combine probably because of his Air Force commitment, but if you compare his pro day numbers to the top performers among ALL offensive linemen from the 2010 draft, dude was a stud. Here are his numbers and where he would have ranked at the combine.

40 Yrd Dash: 5.07 (4th)
Vertical Jump: 35 (First)
Broad Jump: 09'04" (4th)
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.47 (First)
3-Cone Drill: 7.14 (First)

The only thing he sucked at was the bench press, pushing out a merger 18 reps. Hopefully, long arms were as much to blame as a true lack of strength.

Anyway, a guy with those type of movement skills and work ethic just might shine in Kubes' offense.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shane Ray

Dude seems very athletic. Will be interesting to see how he can do in the ZBS. Obviously we still need to shore up some depth, but who knows.

Fingers crossed.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Yep, he's one guy I think has a good chance to come out of nowhere and playing very well. He fits the ZBS perfectly. You also have to think he's shown something special for the Broncos to have kept him around so long.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 03-12-2015 at 06:29 PM..
Agamemnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Binkythefrog
Seasoned Veteran

Garland also seems to be kid of "character" guy Elway keeps talking about like he did with Green. I think it is impressive he was able to do his commitment away from NfL weight rooms and trainers while working a normal nine to five job and work his way back to being an NFL quality player.
Binkythefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post
I'll start by saying I thought Ben Garland was an utter disaster last preseason and I was pissed when he made the team. I assumed he had made it because John Fox wanted to send some type of Rudy message to the team.

But since Elway wants to have him compete for the starting left guard job I decided to watch the second half of the Raiders game when Franklin was out with a concussion. Yes, the Raiders were mailing it in, but I was still pleasantly surprised. Garland was fantastic in the running game. He came off the ball quick, handled his assignment and did a great job in getting to the second level. He didn't dominate in pass protection but certainly held his own.

He wasn't invited to the 2010 combine probably because of his Air Force commitment, but if you compare his pro day numbers to the top performers among ALL offensive linemen from the 2010 draft, dude was a stud. Here are his numbers and where he would have ranked at the combine.

The only thing he sucked at was the bench press, pushing out a merger 18 reps. Hopefully, long arms were as much to blame as a true lack of strength.

Anyway, a guy with those type of movement skills and work ethic just might shine in Kubes' offense.
Bench press is vastly overrated for alot of positions including OL. I would think having strong hands would be more important then strong pecs. Example, some have longer arms then others and yes, it's harder to put up weight with longer arms. I'll take the guy with quick feet, long arms, strong hands, and smart and plays with a chip on his shoulder.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #6
orinjkrush

Ten, Hut!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ben Garland

Two things he has in spades: commitment and persistence. Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
orinjkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #7
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Yeah, I trust this staff with OL. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't do much OL wise in FA and people panic, then the group ends up being good during the season.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunSilentRunDeep View Post

To put those #'s into context he was a DE weighing around 265-270 at the time. Pry slowed down a bit and got a bit stronger.
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #9
crush17
"Born A Broncos Fan"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rick Upchurch

Theres potential. Have to give the new staff the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

Looking forward to seeing what Garland can do!
crush17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
RunSilentRunDeep
Ring of Famer

Bring the pain

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
To put those #'s into context he was a DE weighing around 265-270 at the time. Pry slowed down a bit and got a bit stronger.
Yeah, he's supposedly 305 now, but he weighed 288 at his pro day.
RunSilentRunDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:10 PM   #11
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

He's a good run blocker. Needs work in the pass game. Give him a shot.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:25 PM   #12
randerson1184
Camp Arm

Super Bowl champs or bust.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Shane Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
Yeah, I trust this staff with OL. It wouldn't surprise me if they don't do much OL wise in FA and people panic, then the group ends up being good during the season.
I have had the same sneaking suspicion. Kubiak/Dennison/Gibbs type coaches have always gotten way more productivity out of OL than anyone ever expects. I think it's just an efficient scheme.
randerson1184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #13
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

He's good depth but definitely not who I want the team hanging their hat on.
We need at least 2 additions in the draft and fairly high.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 PM   #14
Bronco Yoda

I still want to draft O-line high, but this kid has a fighting as long as he continues to work hard.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:49 PM   #15
LikeABoss5820
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
Yep.........
LikeABoss5820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
John Elway

I've always rooted for this kid because he went to the AFA. Here's hoping he can become a productive starter!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 PM   #17
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndelibleScribe View Post
No one we could draft would be any more proven. Less so, in fact. At least Garland has been observed in practices.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #18
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

OnLyNiNjAsCaNrEaDtHiSQuOtE

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
No one we could draft would be any more proven. Less so, in fact. At least Garland has been observed in practices.

Unkown(draft) is good though. we saw what these players did protecting Oz. They didn't. Like horrendously bad.
Drunken.Broncoholic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:30 PM   #19
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic2 View Post
Unkown(draft) is good though. we saw what these players did protecting Oz. They didn't. Like horrendously bad.
You realize Garland wasn't blocking for Oz by himself, right? In any case, ever heard of guys developing over time?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:31 PM   #20
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You realize Garland wasn't blocking for Oz by himself, right? In any case, ever heard of guys developing over time?
Manning has time?

Manning isn't here to watch kids develop in front of him.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:33 PM   #21
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
As was pointed out earlier Garland looked good spelling Franklin against the Raiders.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #22
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Manning has time?

Manning is here to break some records and retire, so why should anyone give a ****?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Manning has time?

Because there's no chance of sufficient development from beginning of last offseason til beginning of next season. Okay. Glad you don't run the team since we'd have to sign every sure thing to have hope

Last edited by BroncoInferno; 03-12-2015 at 08:39 PM..
Old 03-12-2015, 08:42 PM   #24
Drunken.Broncoholic2
Pickled in orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Because there's no chance of sufficient development from beginning of last offseason til beginning of next season. Okay. Glad you don't run the team since we'd have to sign every sure thing to have hope
Wrong. I would've done all this in house development...with a QB not named Manning.

I just don't see the direction of total development on the OL, in a year where the wind can injure Manning.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:46 PM   #25
IndelibleScribe
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Commitment or Fear

Quote:
I would much rather see us have 2 high drafts, let those 2 new additions battle it out between Schofield, Paradis, Garland and etc than to just see us try to draft value late and present those other 3 as plan A. That's a bad strategy no matter who the coaches are.

Yes the ZBS produces linemen from the later rounds and UDFA, but constantly relying on that is a bad strategy. It is far better to bring in talent upon talent and end up with excess than to gamble on light depth stepping up.
IndelibleScribe is offline   Reply With Quote