The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #1
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

Default Playoff Officiating

Just finished watching the Packers v 49ers and the refs were pretty much letting the receivers get mugged.

Commentators lauded them for "letting them play", which is what seems to happen come the playoffs every year. Seems to me that especially when it comes to pass interference and holding on the outside there's almost a completely different rule set come playoff time.

Of the remaining teams are we the least able to excel in a game officiated like this?
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
extralife
Ring of Famer

don't forget the no call on that Packers 4th and 2 in which a Packer's offensive lineman closelined a Niners player who was about to sack Rodgers.

if the Niners would have lost that game I'd be throwing **** right now.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:13 PM   #3
Agamemnon
Ring of Famer

Resurrected!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Just finished watching the Packers v 49ers and the refs were pretty much letting the receivers get mugged.

Commentators lauded them for "letting them play", which is what seems to happen come the playoffs every year. Seems to me that especially when it comes to pass interference and holding on the outside there's almost a completely different rule set come playoff time.

Of the remaining teams are we the least able to excel in a game officiated like this?
Our running game has become very good down the stretch, and we have A LOT of targets to throw to. I don't think this is going to be what brings us down, assuming something does.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #4
rmsanger
I support Missouri cops

Another one bites the dust!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Everyone is always going to find something to bish about on officiating. It is a tiresome crutch that people have.
rmsanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:55 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
don't forget the no call on that Packers 4th and 2 in which a Packer's offensive lineman closelined a Niners player who was about to sack Rodgers.

There were a lot of big time holds and a couple hands to the face in big spots that were not called. They called a token hold and a token hands to the face but they could have called a lot more.

I don't mind watching teams play though. I rewatched "The Drive" Friday night and was amazed at all the spearing and helmet to helmet hits that were in those games back then. To watch something like that then see Charles go down after tapping his head on the turf was kind of funny. I almost wonder how much the rash of concussions since the merger are more related to artificial turf fields rather than the helmet to helmet hits. I was on the old Soldiers Fields turf back in the 80's and it was a cement floor with all artifical turf on top with little to no padding. I know the newer fields are supposed to be better but they are still playing on top of concrete.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:06 PM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post

They've got to have had missed that call, I don't think that's something you would be calling letting them play. That holding was the reason the play worked...

Last edited by strafen; 01-05-2014 at 10:17 PM..
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Theunderdog
Just Drafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Well if they are letting them play that works in out advantage.
We run so many more pick plays then any other team and this will allow us to hopefully be more aggressive on these plays without getting flagged. The chargers have one good player in their secondary, Weddle, the rest are trash. Manning needs to pick on these corners with pick plays.
Theunderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Bronco
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Talib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theunderdog View Post
Well if they are letting them play that works in out advantage.
We run so many more pick plays then any other team and this will allow us to hopefully be more aggressive on these plays without getting flagged. The chargers have one good player in their secondary, Weddle, the rest are trash. Manning needs to pick on these corners with pick plays.
I agree with it working to our advantage but I wouldn't go so far to say we ran the most pick plays in the league this year. Maybe the team that chris collinsworth accused of running the most pick plays but the patriots, chiefs, and eagles all love the pick plays too.
Bronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #9
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

in the cold, those whistles can freeze to your lips and tongue. you have to take your hands out of your pockets to throw a flag and the clock stops during penalties! Thats why the refs 'swallow their whistles" and "let 'em play" .
receivers for both teams were getting mugged all day long, holding.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:22 PM   #10
ludo21
RIP Darrent Williams

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Ernster

The WR not playing equally tough is what scares me the most next week. They cannot let themselves get manhandled again.
ludo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #11
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco View Post
I agree with it working to our advantage but I wouldn't go so far to say we ran the most pick plays in the league this year. Maybe the team that chris collinsworth accused of running the most pick plays but the patriots, chiefs, and eagles all love the pick plays too.
true, but no one runs those plays better than Denver.

and i really hope Gase and Tolbert are getting it into our receivers heads to play to their size. it is annoying as hell watching our 6'3" 215lbs+ WR play like b****es.

Last edited by BroncoMan4ever; 01-05-2014 at 08:31 PM..
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

I'm not too worried about the officiating in this game, as long as it is called the same on both sides. Last years refs didn't do that. Non-holding calls will benefit the Broncos as much the Chargers, right? Our secondary could use all the help they can get.

That said, if there is a slant favoring one team or the other, I would think it would favor the Broncos. The Broncos vs Colts or Pats in the AFCCG is preferable to the league and networks than the chargers vs anyone, IMHO.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:40 PM   #13
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludo21 View Post
The WR not playing equally tough is what scares me the most next week. They cannot let themselves get manhandled again.
True, but I have a feeling that is not going to happen. I am sure PFM & Gase will be all over the WR's this week concerning this. I wouldn't be surprised if they spend a considerable amount of practice time working on it.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote