The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:37 PM   #1
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning
Default Pereira defends officiating in Denver/Balt upset

"I'm upset by the perception of how some fans thought the officiating was bad in this game."

"I have a good idea why so many people felt that way about the officials. Because the announcers weren't always in agreement with what was ruled on the field. Which doesn't necessarily mean that the officials were wrong."

"Two plays I want to use to illustrate my point were interpreted differently by the announcing crew, which I'm sure swayed public perception. But in my opinion, these calls made by referee Bill Vinovich and his crew were correct."

More at the link:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/r...broncos-011213
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #2
enjolras
Ring of Famer

I'm glad that shill managed to ignore a number of impactful calls.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Yes. I'm sure the FOUR missed PI calls on Baltimore were in one of the multiverses a good thing. Or the PI AND legwhip on Thomas.

Whatever. Gotta give Sugar another ring.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #4
Mile High 81
Solid Starter

The Problems are not the calls. you always can all it one way or the other way. but you must have a line. and these fxxx clowns did not have one.

you can call Pass int on carter but when you do it You absolutley have to call an Pass int on decker for the pick six.

you can call holding on kuper on the run play but when you do stuff like this you absolutley have to call holding on the ravens Tackels for mutiple holds on doom and von in the first half.

Last edited by Mile High 81; 01-15-2013 at 12:07 AM..
Mile High 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:09 AM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Yeah I didn't really give a **** about the two calls he mentioned, though I'm not sure why Brady's is a tuck rule call and mannings wasn't. Dumb judgment call. The ruinous calls were the PIs, the lack of PI on deck, and the kuper hold. Absurd.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Should have posted a disclaimer.

Denver played like ****, had lousy playcalling and still had a lead with a minute to go in the game.

But the calls/non calls. You can admit a mistake was made, NFL. Its not like it will change the outcome.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

We didn't lose the game because of the refs.

That being said, the officiating was truly atrocious, and the two 3rd-down calls against us late in the game (a bizarre interference call on Champ, then the Ravens being awarded a catch when the ball was very clearly SPINNING AROUND in his hands and the HITTING THE GROUND) certainly affected the final outcome.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:34 AM   #8
misturanderson
Ring of Famer

Why not?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DemaryiusThomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
The Problems are not the calls. you always can all it one way or the other way. but you must have a line. and these fxxx clowns did not have one.

you can call Pass int on carter but when you do it You absolutley have to call an Pass int on decker for the pick six.

you can call holding on kuper on the run play but when you do stuff like this you absolutley have to call holding on the ravens Tackels for mutiple holds on doom and von in the first half.
This is exactly where the issue is with the refereeing of this game.

I also have a major issue with the quote: "The ball hit the ground, but in order for the pass to be ruled incomplete, Boldin would have literally had to lose possession of the ball. Boldin's right hand stayed on the ball at all times."

The problem I have with this call is that it has gone against us 3 times this year. Twice in favor of the other team's offense and once against a Decker completion that was overturned by replay. The first time I saw a review of this type of catch (can't remember the specific game, but remember the call vividly), Decker clearly had possession of the ball before it hit the ground, the ball DID NOT MOVE as it hit the ground and he maintained the same hold on the ball all the way through the catch. It was then OVERTURNED from the completed catch called on the field.

Twice since that game the same rule has been interpreted completely differently to allow far more questionable passes to be upheld for Denver's opponent. Maybe it was just a replacement vs. real official thing, but it still pisses me off because of the lack of consistency.
misturanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #9
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

I just went back and watched that 3rd and 4 in OT when they threw a flag on Champ Bailey (incomplete pass intended for Torrey Smith).

That was an awful call, Bailey never touched him. Maybe it didn't change anything at the end, but who knows at that point.

Those refs should not be in the NFL.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
We didn't lose the game because of the refs.

That being said, the officiating was truly atrocious, and the two 3rd-down calls against us late in the game (a bizarre interference call on Champ, then the Ravens being awarded a catch when the ball was very clearly SPINNING AROUND in his hands and the HITTING THE GROUND) certainly affected the final outcome.
So "we didn't lose the game because of the refs", yet the refs "certainly affected the final outcome"? By definition, it's impossible for both of those statements to be true.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #11
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Note to Pereira: if there's enough controversy over officiating of a given game for you to feel you have to publicly "defend" the officials... just maybe a problem might exist. We fans aren't blind or stupid; we know what we saw and it doesn't work to piss down our leg and tell us it's raining.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:49 AM   #12
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

What a joker Pereira is...
Out of 4 games, we got the worst officiating crew..
go_broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #13
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
So "we didn't lose the game because of the refs", yet the refs "certainly affected the final outcome"? By definition, it's impossible for both of those statements to be true.
I think he means that it's not the only reason we lost the game. Champ, Moore, Fox, Manning, refs, "all world" pass rush tandem, etc. They ALL worked as a team to lose this one.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:36 AM   #14
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High 81 View Post
Agree, and the PI on the Decker pick-6 play was far more clear of an infraction than whatever they called on Carter (or Champ later in the game).
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #15
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

The "catch" by Boldin and "penalty" on Bailey (both on third down) cost the Broncos AT LEAST 30 yards of field position early in OT.

Yeah, the Broncos screwed the pooch on their own, but you have to wonder why so many people have brought up the dubious officiating.
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 AM   #16
jmz313
Ring of Famer

Terrible Officiating against them and the Broncos still just barely lost the game cause of their abundance of mistakes. Any of those calls could of changed the outcome of that game. As could just one less Bronco mistake.

Tough way to head into a 7 month lay off. yes, Pereira is nuts if he thinks it was a well called game.
jmz313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 AM   #17
DomCasual
This one's for Pat!

Shameless Homer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Nothing good can come of me reading this article. The scab must be allowed to heal. I'm like a highly-sensitive mental patient right now.
DomCasual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 AM   #18
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Vinovich, who had been out of football for 6 years prior to 2012, came back as a replacement official. He was then kept on, managed to officiate the most-flagged game of the year, and then work a Divisional Playoff game. Prior to this divisional playoff game, Vinovich had officiated two (2) playoff games: a 2003 divisional game and a 2006 wild card game.

But he was assigned a divisional game in 2012 after being out of the league for 6 years.

Someone explain to me how that happens.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:05 AM   #19
yerner
Ring of Famer

It sounds like being a sore loser to say it, but those officials kept Baltimore in the game. It was like watching the keystone cops.
yerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:33 AM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerner View Post
It sounds like being a sore loser to say it, but those officials kept Baltimore in the game. It was like watching the keystone cops.
It's worse than keeping Baltimore in the game.

They handed the ****birds at least 7 points. 14 if you count the extended drive in the first quarter on the bull**** Carter PI.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Pereira's a ****ing b**** and always has been.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #22
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
It's worse than keeping Baltimore in the game.

They handed the ****birds at least 7 points. 14 if you count the extended drive in the first quarter on the bull**** Carter PI.
They scored off the tuck rule fumble too, so 14 or 21 depending on how you count it.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 AM   #23
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
They scored off the tuck rule fumble too, so 14 or 21 depending on how you count it.
True.

I think the biggest call was that PI on Carter. That changed the entire complexion of the game. Think of it: if they don't extend that drive, they're punting from the 16 or so... Giving us the ball with a chance to go up 14-0 and a shortish field.

I'd love to know the thought process of whomever decided to put an inexperienced crew led by a replacement ref on an important, high pressure playoff game. I don't think the game was fixed; I think the game was poorly officiated.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
Yeah I didn't really give a **** about the two calls he mentioned, though I'm not sure why Brady's is a tuck rule call and mannings wasn't. Dumb judgment call. The ruinous calls were the PIs, the lack of PI on deck, and the kuper hold. Absurd.
I was wondering about the "Brady" tuck rule too. They said it was a matter of Peyton bringing it all the way back to his body and Brady's supposedly was still bringing it back to his body. So I looked up some of the videos of Brady's. Funny couldn't find any that were in slow motion. It appears very similar and I find it hard to believe that the refs can see a matter of inches from a body. Does Pereria wonder why the announcers were countering the calls, even after seeing them in slow motion?
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:00 AM   #25
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm less irate about the the tuck rule deal simply on the principle that I think the tuck rule is retarded. BUT, if you are going to have that retarded rule on the books, I can't for the life of me see how that play was not a textbook example. It's almost a mirror image of the Brady play.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote