The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #1
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware
Default So where are a all those D J Williams haters ???

Q: I know this is early, but did you get any sense if how the Broncos used D.J. Williams against the Chargers will be the way they use him for the rest of the season?
A: Glenn, as expected, the Broncos worked D.J. Williams into the lineup quickly. He was in uniform against San Diego in the first game after his reinstatement from two suspensions.
And Williams entered Sunday's game against San Diego on the fourth defensive snap it was when the Broncos went to the nickel (five defensive backs) for the first time in the game. Williams lined up alongside Wesley Woodyard in the two linebacker spots in that formation.
That was Williams' role, for the most part, in the defense for the remainder in the game and he was in the lineup primarily on first or second down (he had 15 snaps in that situation).
When the Broncos faced a more open formation from the Chargers offense, like a three-wide receiver set, or were in third-down or other long-yardage situations, they put rookie Danny Trevathan next to Woodyard in the nickel.
The Broncos like Trevathan's abilities in coverage while Williams gives them a little more bulk in the middle of the field on early downs, when a running play is more of an option for an offense. That figures to be the rotation in the near future.
The Broncos also used a four-linebacker set for a selection of snaps Sunday with Williams in the game and he also played in the team's short-yardage unit that was used against the Chargers in some third-and-short looks. In all Williams played 21 snaps.

Read more: Broncos wasted no time getting D.J. Williams into the lineup - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncosspe...#ixzz2CnucXzFk
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

D.J. played 21 snaps and had 5 tackles (including 1 TFL). He fought hard on running plays, tackling the runner for probably about an average of 2 yard gain (if that). D.J. played smart in coverage too.

He and Brooking rotated series for the most part. Trevathan would come in a lot on 3rd down. Everybody played well.

D.J. tackles with violence and authority, which is good to see. I picture him taking over most of Brooking's snaps, maybe even as soon as this game against the Chiefs. However, Brooking is still valuable in certain situations.

I love all of the Bronco LB's. They each bring something to the table, and are playing at a high level.
pricejj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
Bacchus

Waiting for LoneStar to post
Old 11-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

Instead of RBBC, we got MLBBC...

Could work, tho'...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Waiting for LoneStar to post
Tanahan......Numbnuts.

Rinse repeat.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Glad he is still your hero..

If he had not come out and played well his trade value would have dropped even more..

I had said in another thread he played well, not a super star levels some seemed to think he would be....

and so did Brooking and Trevathan..

That would be about 25% of the defensive snaps if the 21 is correct, had a couple good plays but still nothing like Woodyard is doing.. Or Miller for those that still think DJ is the best pure LB on the team..
Code:
Defense 	T-A 	SCK 	INT 	FF
C. Bailey 	8-0 	0.0 	0 	0
V. Miller 	6-0 	3.0 	0 	2
W. Woodyard 	5-3 	0.0 	1 	0
T. Carter 	4-1 	0.0 	0 	0
E. Dumervil 	4-2 	1.0 	0 	1
C. Harris 	3-0 	0.0 	0 	0
K. Vickerson 	3-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Williams 	3-1 	0.0 	0 	0
J. Bannan 	2-1 	0.0 	0 	0
R. Moore 	2-1 	0.0 	0 	0
R. Ayers 	1-1 	0.0 	0 	0
K. Brooking 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Bruton 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Trevathan 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
M. Unrein 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
J. Leonhard 	0-0 	0.0 	1 	0
I'm hoping that y'all know he will not be a Bronco next year as we need a MLB and he is not the guy..

Unless hey go cheap and ask him to redo next years contract also..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Tanahan......Numbnuts.

Rinse repeat.
real class for a mod..

expected more from you..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #8
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Still dislike him and think he is overrated. Didn't do anything amazing. Made the tackles he was supposed to which for any player is a good thing. And he looked better than the senior citizen we have been lining up at MLB. Does he need a medal for that?
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Waiting for Lonestar to post
Fixed that for you..
Old 11-20-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

SoCalBronco is 50x the mod you ever were. DAFT DOODLE.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #11
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

It doesn't seem efficient to be looking towards the sideline every play, to see if you have to come out, especially against a hurry-up Offense. All the running back and forth from the sideline would pretty much negate any advantage you might have had from resting a player.

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward. They'll probably continue substituting until New England (or somebody else) forces them not to.

They have all kinds of fools running in and out...Leonhard, Bruton, DJ, Trevathan, Ayers, Jackson, etc.

I guess it pretty much fits the Offense, who have Tamme, Stokley, Ball, Hillman, Green, and now Moreno, substituting.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Still dislike him and think he is overrated. Didn't do anything amazing. Made the tackles he was supposed to which for any player is a good thing. And he looked better than the senior citizen we have been lining up at MLB. Does he need a medal for that?
You have to remember there are a lot of folks that still love the departed HC that DAFTED him and then resigned him to a contract worthy of a super star..

and that because he led the team in tackles for several years he must be great.. the only thing that proved was he was the best of a very poor Defense..

Time to move on IMO..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Tanahan......Numbnuts.

Rinse repeat.
Cutler, Marshall, Scheffler, Shanahan....Jizz, repeat.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #14
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
I'm hoping that y'all know he will not be a Bronco next year as we need a MLB and he is not the guy..

The Broncos would be unwise to change-up the Defense much from where it is now...most improved in the NFL, and (soon to be) top 10 in scoring (again). The Broncos operate very little out of the traditional 4-3 set.

There won't be any really good FA MLB's. There is little possibility they spend a 1st dround draft pick on an ILB. Nope, don't see it this year.

They have to get starters out of the 2013 draft, because the 2012 draft has only produced one starter. I am guessing RB will be a top priority in the draft. They would probably also consider NT to battle Vickerson and Bannan (though they are having good years). LB is way down the list. This team is so freaking loaded, it's going to be difficult to get a roster spot. They should trade the whole back-end of the draft to move up with their first 2 picks.

Last edited by pricejj; 11-20-2012 at 03:19 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Glad he is still your hero..

If he had not come out and played well his trade value would have dropped even more..

I had said in another thread he played well, not a super star levels some seemed to think he would be....

and so did Brooking and Trevathan..

That would be about 25% of the defensive snaps if the 21 is correct, had a couple good plays but still nothing like Woodyard is doing.. Or Miller for those that still think DJ is the best pure LB on the team..
Code:
Defense 	T-A 	SCK 	INT 	FF
C. Bailey 	8-0 	0.0 	0 	0
V. Miller 	6-0 	3.0 	0 	2
W. Woodyard 	5-3 	0.0 	1 	0
T. Carter 	4-1 	0.0 	0 	0
E. Dumervil 	4-2 	1.0 	0 	1
C. Harris 	3-0 	0.0 	0 	0
K. Vickerson 	3-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Williams 	3-1 	0.0 	0 	0
J. Bannan 	2-1 	0.0 	0 	0
R. Moore 	2-1 	0.0 	0 	0
R. Ayers 	1-1 	0.0 	0 	0
K. Brooking 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Bruton 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
D. Trevathan 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
M. Unrein 	1-0 	0.0 	0 	0
J. Leonhard 	0-0 	0.0 	1 	0

He played 20 snaps out of a possible 70 plays, your argument is weak
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #16
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
You have to remember there are a lot of folks that still love the departed HC that DAFTED him and then resigned him to a contract worthy of a super star..

and that because he led the team in tackles for several years he must be great.. the only thing that proved was he was the best of a very poor Defense..

Time to move on IMO..
I don't know about that, I like him because he makes the Broncos better
Old 11-20-2012, 03:21 PM   #17
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
The Broncos would be unwise to change-up the Defense much from where it is now...most improved in the NFL, and (soon to be) top 10 in scoring (again). The Broncos operate very little out of the traditional 4-3 set.

There won't be any really good FA MLB's. There is little possibility they spend a 1st dround draft pick on an ILB. Nope, don't see it this year.

They have to get starters out of the 2013 draft, because the 2012 draft has only produced one starter. I am guessing RB will be a top priority in the draft. LB is way down the list.
Maybe your are correct maybe not..

As for MLB you do not have to spend a top pick to get one. Nice to have but IMO we still need a DT to go with Wolf and maybe safety.

As far a s a RB I do not see John E popping for one high in the draft. Especially if Ma Gahee is back before the EOS or the draft. See more middle round 3-4 guys, happening there.

But Elway has surprised us pleasantly two times so far.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

I am a big supporter of McGahee but I think this is his last season.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #19
Agamemnon

I'm sorry, did I miss something? The issue with Williams isn't that he can't play well. It's that he's more or less mentally retarded.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
He played 20 snaps out of a possible 70 plays, your argument is weak
Actually 21 snaps. And if the NFL game center is about correct. Rivers threw. 40 times and there were 23 rushes so it was more like 65 snaps. My other number was a guesstimate considering they owned TOP. Seemed like more snaps than that.

Personally I did not think it was all that important.

He had a couple of nice plays, ONE TFL but beyond that IMO he was in memorable..

But then I do not have a woody for him like some seem to have.

Last edited by lonestar; 11-20-2012 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I'm sorry, did I miss something? The issue with Williams isn't that he can't play well. It's that he's more or less mentally retarded.
For some stats are everything.

For others character has merits.

his actions over his last few years in DEN pretty much show he is a dumb ass..

Plus in my case when I pay a guy super star money I expect more than above average play.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Maybe your are correct maybe not..

As for MLB you do not have to spend a top pick to get one. Nice to have but IMO we still need a DT to go with Wolf and maybe safety.

As far a s a RB I do not see John E popping for one high in the draft. Especially if Ma Gahee is back before the EOS or the draft. See more middle round 3-4 guys, happening there.

But Elway has surprised us pleasantly two times so far.
Picking an RB late burned them this year, and could likely keep them from going far in the playoffs. Not to mention it puts way too much pressure on Manning at the end of his career. They are going to look to ride this train as long as possible, and I'm sure will target an RB high. Remember, Carolina picked both Williams and Stewart in '06 and '08...currently we have nothing.

I see RB, and then BPA in the 2nd round. I seriously doubt the 2nd rounder will start immediately, no matter who it is.

Although, it looks like there might not be any RB's worthy of a 1st round pick...so they will probably have to go the FA route with RB too. Oh well.

Last edited by pricejj; 11-20-2012 at 03:36 PM..
Old 11-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #23
Bacchus

Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Nah, he's only scheduled to make $3M next year. That's about right for the contribution he'll be expected to make. They definitely aren't going to cut him. He's here until the end of 2014.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #25
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
If we win the SB...I agree.

However if we don't I suspect he'll play one more season even if it means playing a reduced role.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote