The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Fox's cowardice dooms Broncos

http://www.gazette.com/sports/ramsey...dooms-fox.html

"The Broncos had a chance to retaliate after one of the most devastating mistakes in Colorado sports history.

Here’s what coach John Fox did instead:

He proclaimed – to his players, to a jammed stadium, to television viewers around the world - his lack of faith in his offense. He worried about, using his words, the “bad stuff” that might happen.

Bad stuff did happen, largely because of Fox’s cowardice.

He doomed his Broncos to a 38-35 overtime loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Against all odds, the Broncos found a way to lose to an inferior team.

With 31 seconds left in regulation, Fox was blessed with two timeouts, one of the top five quarterbacks to ever walk our earth and a field-goal kicker capable of launching the NFL’s first 65-yard field goal through the middle of the uprights.

Fox commanded Peyton Manning to kneel, running out the clock. He surrendered to his fears, and deserved to walk off the field as a loser.

He should have told his players to attack. If Manning had moved his teammates 50 yards, Matt Prater would have been asked to kick a 50-yard field goal to win the game.

A 50-yarder is a chip shot for Prater.

And if the Broncos had moved the ball approximately 35 yards, Fox could have asked Prater to attempt a walk-off 65-yarder.

Would Prater have made this kick? Probably not. But there would have been little danger in the attempt.

It was reckless for Fox to be so cautious. The Broncos required a jolt, an extreme statement of faith, to recover from free safety Rahim Moore’s inexplicable mistake.

With 40 seconds left, Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco lofted the ball high into the freezing night.

The ball hypnotized Moore, who made the same mistake Little League outfielders have made for decades. You can always move forward if you run too far under a towering ball. The deadly mistake is to not run far enough.

If Moore had tackled Jacoby Jones after the catch at the 20, the Ravens probably would have trudged away from this game as losers. Instead, Moore made a desperate, futile attempt to swat the ball out of the air.

It was a play that will long live in Broncos infamy. Fans will forget Moore’s blunder in, oh, 125 years or so.

“I didn’t judge it right,” Moore said in a whisper. “… I will take credit. It was my fault today.”

But not all his fault.

Fox should have realized his team would enter overtime stunned and drained. He should have seen what we all saw:

The Ravens had seized momentum.

He should have gone all out for victory in regulation.

After the game, Fox met with the press for a few minutes. He was defensive, grumpy and evasive.

Why was he so timid with 31 seconds left?

“You don’t win, you get criticized on everything,” Fox said. “So that’s par for the course.”

Fox can whine all he wants. He will be judged harshly, and justly, for losing his nerve and fleeing from hope.

Listen, I know Fox crafted a coaching masterpiece this season, which followed a superlative effort last season when he somehow directed a flawed team to the playoffs.

Fox is, in many ways, a cautious man, and his conventional style carried the Broncos to 13 wins and an 11-game winning streak. It’s not his fault Moore fell into a stupor in the game’s final minute.

But after Moore’s error, it was time for courage and audacity. Instead, Fox exposed his lack of nerve.

He’s the lead villain in this most shocking of defeats."

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/rams...#ixzz2Ht3OnpMh
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
go_broncos
Ring of Famer

49 SB Champs Denver Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Fox is always like that..Elway might have thought that Dan Reeves is coaching this team.
I can understand playing like that if you have a QB like Tebow.
But, you have manning..
If you don't trust him on 3rd downs/end of the games..why did we take him?..
We might as well have Tebow.
This doesn't make any sense.
go_broncos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #3
OrangeSe7en

It's Fox's decision to run the clock and not Bailey or Rahim Moore?
Old 01-13-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
Mile High Mojoe
The Original Maniac

Load the Wagon

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Did you forget that Manning is calling the plays 90% of the time in the hurry up offense? He wasn't executing, it wasn't because Fox and McCoy had a conservative game plan for God's sake. Manning wasn't even making good short throws in the game I doubt very much he could of made good deep throws. He couldn't handle the cold, the pass pressure or just the pressure of such a big game. He turned the ball over 3 freaking times in this one 3 times once for a score. The last INT sealed it for Baltimore and its Fox’s fault he made that stupid throw? Yes you did address the other flaws in the game and there's blame to go all around but laying this mostly on the door step of Fox and McCoy is stupid and dead wrong.

Manning sucked balls. He was the one player that should have and could have taken the game over in the clutch and didn't come through. I knew many would dodge and defend Manning's game today and not pin point his big role in this loss. Manning was and still is a choke artist in the playoffs. Now he's blown the best chance he'll ever have with the Broncos to win a SB. Can't wait until next year when his fan club starts up again, they’ll kneel down before him and then tell us what a great QB he is and how the whole rest of the team needs to rise to his high and mighty level.
Mile High Mojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Drunken.Broncoholic

Anyone have that pic of fox that says "run it" underneath? Someone posted it earlier but I can't find it

Edit. NM found it

Last edited by Drunken.Broncoholic; 01-13-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 01:19 PM   #6
bombay
Ring of Famer

There's how it's done, Fox.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Only an idiot would pin this on Manning. I see MHM has got dibs on that already.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #8
Broncojef
Ring of Famer

Too much Hester and not enough Manning when the game mattered. The conservative calls allowed the Ravens victory. Not sure if its Fox or McCoy but that was terrible.
Broncojef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
bombay
Ring of Famer

Atlanta had two timeouts with 30 seconds left at about the 25. Sound familiar? Two easy 15-20 yard passes and a field goal. They win. Hell, they actually left too much time on the clock.
bombay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
enjolras
Ring of Famer

One thing really stands out to me yesterday, and it's not really being talked about.

The Broncos more or less never challenged them deep. Despite having a lot of success over the top in that first meeting, the Broncos instead settled for short routes the entire game. They never challenged them.

I think this led to a loss.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #11
ThirtyDegrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
One thing really stands out to me yesterday, and it's not really being talked about.

The Broncos more or less never challenged them deep. Despite having a lot of success over the top in that first meeting, the Broncos instead settled for short routes the entire game. They never challenged them.

I think this led to a loss.
They couldn't challenge Baltimore deep because the noodle arm at QB couldn't throw it farther than 15 yards in the cold.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirtyDegrees View Post
They couldn't challenge Baltimore deep because the noodle arm at QB couldn't throw it farther than 15 yards in the cold.
They played 2 deep all game.

unreal that you guys would wanna get rid of Peyton. Un****ingreal
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #13
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Atlanta had two timeouts with 30 seconds left at about the 25. Sound familiar? Two easy 15-20 yard passes and a field goal. They win. Hell, they actually left too much time on the clock.
Well they could of taken a knee and iced the game for Seattle. I don't think they would of cared one bit. Different situation but I agree you have to throw the ball and .....

Old 01-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #14
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Decker doesnt make a catch that would be a first down, instead its a pick 6. Well thrown ball. Manning's fault.

Champ gets burned 3 times, twice for TDs, one for an overthrow that would have been a TD. Manning's fault.

Rahim Moore makes the dumbest play in Broncos history for a game tying TD with 31 seconds left. Manning's fault.

Dumervil and Von Miller were basically absent. Manning's fault.

Manning didn't play well, but he wasn't horrendous either. If you fault Manning for anything, and this is legitimate, its that the defense which had struggled all day, did manage to give Manning TWO chances in OT to win the game for us and Manning didn't come through. That being said, the defense let the team down yesterday, that is all there is to it.

Moore is gone, or should be, and Champ needs to move to safety. He cannot keep up anymore with the young receivers. Champ at safety makes that play yesterday, I guarantee it and Torrey Smith doesn't burn Harris or Carter 3 times for 2 TDs yesterday, I guarantee that too.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
Decker doesnt make a catch that would be a first down, instead its a pick 6. Well thrown ball. Manning's fault.

Champ gets burned 3 times, twice for TDs, one for an overthrow that would have been a TD. Manning's fault.

Rahim Moore makes the dumbest play in Broncos history for a game tying TD with 31 seconds left. Manning's fault.

Dumervil and Von Miller were basically absent. Manning's fault.

Manning didn't play well, but he wasn't horrendous either. If you fault Manning for anything, and this is legitimate, its that the defense which had struggled all day, did manage to give Manning TWO chances in OT to win the game for us and Manning didn't come through. That being said, the defense let the team down yesterday, that is all there is to it.

Moore is gone, or should be, and Champ needs to move to safety. He cannot keep up anymore with the young receivers. Champ at safety makes that play yesterday, I guarantee it and Torrey Smith doesn't burn Harris or Carter 3 times for 2 TDs yesterday, I guarantee that too.
The best improvement from Moore this season has been in run support, if they want to keep him around, maybe move him to SS, then move champ over. That or get someone like Laron Landry in free agency. Will need another corner...though with Champ patrolling deep, we could potentially pressure a bit more.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM   #16
footstepsfrom#27
helmet to helmet hitter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Joe Mays

Denver never should have been in position to give the ball back to the Ravens in the first place and had they chosen to try to pass a couple times on their 2nd to last possession when all they needed was a single first down to ice the game, including that last 3rd and 7 when they ran instead of passing, we might have won in regulation. Fox reminds me of a Dan Reeves clone as an offesive strategist (that is not a compliment) and while I don't know if it was him, McCoy or Manning who was calling plays down the stretch, we got scared and conservative and paid the priice for it. I don't know why NFL coaches continue to do that crap when it's obvious that it early always leads to a loss.

We need secondary help and a legit every down runner on this team next year, one that can stay healthy.
footstepsfrom#27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM   #17
OrangeSe7en

Sorry but Champ getting burnt over and over was probably the biggest factor in this loss. Had Champ not been used repeatedly, then the Broncos are probably able to stabilize the game. Instead, it allowed Baltimore to hang in there and start believing. Champ getting beat repeatedly is what allowed Baltimore to think they had a chance. Champ was so bad that he almost singlehandedly offset an historic performance in the return game. Denver returns the opening kick and, before you know it, the game is tied because of Champ.