The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 04:46 PM   #26
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I would like to see another vet in at CB to replace Porter. Nate Clements is making just a tad over what Porter was making last year. Three Bengals CB's are FA's. Adam Jones is making 950K this year and Terence Newman is making 825K. They might have a hard time keeping all of those guys. Really there are some good vet CB we could land for depth and we should be able to keep the contract below 4 mill.

Then we can take a chance on that LSU kid that like weed too much.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #27
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I would like to see another vet in at CB to replace Porter. Nate Clements is making just a tad over what Porter was making last year. Three Bengals CB's are FA's. Adam Jones is making 950K this year and Terence Newman is making 825K. They might have a hard time keeping all of those guys. Really there are some good vet CB we could land for depth and we should be able to keep the contract below 4 mill.

Then we can take a chance on that LSU kid that like weed too much.
I would like to steal Pat Sims from them. I don't personally want another older high priced CB.. There's some quality ones in the draft.

Here's another problem with what I have observed with our secondary, when they line up in bump and run, there is usually no bump, just run..
Torey Smith could have been neutralized with a bump, as most receivers can't handle bump and run, which is what I'd love to see from our CBs, and there are some really good ones in the draft.

Champ should play the possession receiver from each team, as his smarts and closing speed would overwhelm, I would also approach him about taking a pay cut to be our number two corner...
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
I would like to steal Pat Sims from them. I don't personally want another older high priced CB.. There's some quality ones in the draft.

Here's another problem with what I have observed with our secondary, when they line up in bump and run, there is usually no bump, just run..
Torey Smith could have been neutralized with a bump, as most receivers can't handle bump and run, which is what I'd love to see from our CBs, and there are some really good ones in the draft.

Champ should play the possession receiver from each team, as his smarts and closing speed would overwhelm, I would also approach him about taking a pay cut to be our number two corner...
Young guys will make young guy mistakes. I like Carter but he was only in that game because of Porters health. Would a guy Like Newman or Sheldon Brown known that the only way they win is if he lets Smith go past him and not worry about the guys underneath?
Old 01-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #29
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Young guys will make young guy mistakes. I like Carter but he was only in that game because of Porters health. Would a guy Like Newman or Sheldon Brown known that the only way they win is if he lets Smith go past him and not worry about the guys underneath?
I would think a veteran or most any other player would have broken to the ball when it was thrown regardless of where they were, but especially if they were close.

We don't have the cap room nor would I advocate an older veteran. I'd like to draft a press man corner who is big and physical and plays bump and run. That's the direction I would like to see the secondary go.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:07 PM   #30
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I would think a veteran or most any other player would have broken to the ball when it was thrown regardless of where they were, but especially if they were close.

We don't have the cap room nor would I advocate an older veteran. I'd like to draft a press man corner who is big and physical and plays bump and run. That's the direction I would like to see the secondary go.
I showed two vets that the Bengals paid less then a million for. If we can land a vet like that for around 1 million we will do it. Remember we also had Florence on the books for about a 1.5 million as well. We had about 5.5 million dollars invested in CB's that didn't play more then 5 games for us.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #31
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

I think I'll let John and his cabal worry about each and every player..

hell they even get paid for it and so far I have few players I can complain about..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #32
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

We need a middle linebacker. Who knows who might fall to us.

I'd love Manti Te'o, but I'd expect the Steelers will end up with him. Alec Ogletree would be a tremendous gain for our defense. Kevin Minter as well.

Right now, if we ended up with any of these three, I'd be pretty happy.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #33
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
We need a middle linebacker. Who knows who might fall to us.

I'd love Manti Te'o, but I'd expect the Steelers will end up with him. Alec Ogletree would be a tremendous gain for our defense. Kevin Minter as well.

Right now, if we ended up with any of these three, I'd be pretty happy.
I could see Pitt drafting Lacy and Packers drafting Barrett Jones, leaving us a chance at one of the three MLBs. Pitt finished 26th in rushing and has three RBs that are FAs

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 01-15-2013 at 12:06 AM..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #34
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:

Xavier Rhodes. Guy is very much a Patrick Peterson clone.
Same style of play, same size.
And amazingly, theres a very good chance hes laying around at #28.
Like ive been advocating here for quite some time though, i think Minter
will be there too.
Yeah, veterans will cost too much, and they are not really working out for DEN. Harris is a legit #2, but DEN does need to look hard at getting a new #1
I also agree that Champ can still cover many of the possesion receivers in the NFL, which is why i also beleive he should consider the Charles Woodson hybrid position, which many times calls for him to cover TE's.
And he would play a bit less, less fatigue as the game goes on.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM   #35
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:

If we go after any Bengals this season, I would go after Michael Johnson (DE). He is finally coming into his own and would very good edge rusher for us as part of rotation.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #36
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalorado View Post
I agree, draft a CB in the 1st round and move Champ to Safety. That would solve the problem of the Broncos inability to guard TE's, which is the main issue headed into the offseason. It would also add much needed leadership on the inside. They can always go after Reddick in round 2.

It's time.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #37
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Xavier Rhodes. Guy is very much a Patrick Peterson clone.
Same style of play, same size.
And amazingly, theres a very good chance hes laying around at #28.
Like ive been advocating here for quite some time though, i think Minter
will be there too.
Yeah, veterans will cost too much, and they are not really working out for DEN. Harris is a legit #2, but DEN does need to look hard at getting a new #1
I also agree that Champ can still cover many of the possesion receivers in the NFL, which is why i also beleive he should consider the Charles Woodson hybrid position, which many times calls for him to cover TE's.
And he would play a bit less, less fatigue as the game goes on.
Yeah Champ as our #2/ Hybrid player is exactly what I had in mind..
Love Rhodes.. In fact there are 3 CBs I really like that fit this style..
Round 1 Rhodes FSU
Round 1-2 Amerson NCST
Round 4-6 Aaron Hester UCLA

I really like the potential and value of Hester, check him out.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
If we go after any Bengals this season, I would go after Michael Johnson (DE). He is finally coming into his own and would very good edge rusher for us as part of rotation.
I like him, but I doubt he's going anywhere..
Plus Sims is a back-up, so he would have a chance to start.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #39
NickStixx

John Fox has already said in the past couple days that he doesn't see Champ moving to Safety this year. We don't need to take a CB in the first round. With the emergence of Chris Harris, and Tony Carter, and having Omar Bolden in the waiting who will be in his 2nd year I don't think it's time for us to do that. Champ has another year left at CB I think. He had a bad game against Baltimore... but I think he has another year. If they do make the change, then I still don't think we need a CB in the 1st rd.
I would like a MLB, DT, or RB before a CB.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:12 PM   #40
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
John Fox has already said in the past couple days that he doesn't see Champ moving to Safety this year. We don't need to take a CB in the first round. With the emergence of Chris Harris, and Tony Carter, and having Omar Bolden in the waiting who will be in his 2nd year I don't think it's time for us to do that. Champ has another year left at CB I think. He had a bad game against Baltimore... but I think he has another year. If they do make the change, then I still don't think we need a CB in the 1st rd.
I like Chris Harris and don't think his role would diminish with drafting a CB. Carter, belongs as our 4th CB.. He's not as good as many are making him out to be. I threw out the idea of Champ as our #2 CB covering possession receivers/TEs in certain packages. I'm not advocating him playing safety. Bolden is an unknown at this point. A CB should be selected, I prefer a bump and run CB.. It doesn't matter what round he is selected if he has potential. But I agree that we don't have to take a first round CB when there are some good ones who will fall.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 AM   #41
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
No one here wants Champ to just move to FS.
What we are advocating ,and this has been a topic with posters and the media and the FO is moving Champ to a hybrid position like Charles Woodson plays.
DEN does need to take a CB in the 1st round. Or a MLB. They no longer have a shut down corner, and its become glaring and obvious.
Harris is a legit #2 and Carter is no where near ready to become a full time CB yet. Not even close, and the only reason, ONLY REASON Carter looks as good as he does is Von Miller.
Champ has many years left, but it will be at covering possesion recievers and TE's in a hybrid "Big Nickel" defense. Having him close to the LOS in where he needs to be. Hes very physical, can blitz and do what he does best....jump routes.
And good RBs can be had in the later rounds.
If anything, what DEN does NOT need to do, is draft a RB in the 1st.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:56 AM   #42
NickStixx

Quote:
What we are advocating ,and this has been a topic with posters and the media and the FO is moving Champ to a hybrid position like Charles Woodson plays.
DEN does need to take a CB in the 1st round. Or a MLB. They no longer have a shut down corner, and its become glaring and obvious.
Harris is a legit #2 and Carter is no where near ready to become a full time CB yet. Not even close, and the only reason, ONLY REASON Carter looks as good as he does is Von Miller.
Champ has many years left, but it will be at covering possesion recievers and TE's in a hybrid "Big Nickel" defense. Having him close to the LOS in where he needs to be. Hes very physical, can blitz and do what he does best....jump routes.
Believe me, I understand where you are coming from. I agree with what was said. I just don't know if CB is the weakest part of our defense. In fact, I would say it's not close.
Also, are you saying that you want to draft this position only and not draft BPA at the 28th pick?
Here is my thinking on why I am not in favor of drafting a CB. As long as we have Champ I think he is still an elite player. I don't understand where you are getting this "we no longer have a lockdown CB" He's obviously not the same Champ Bailey of a few years ago, but he isn't garbage.
The other reason I am saying this, and I will admit I haven't looked too much at the CB prospects coming out, but to me, if you are wanting to draft a shut down CB that needs to be done earlier than the 28th pick. In other words, I don't know how many shut down CB's are drafted in the late 1st. I haven't done too much research, but I know that guys like Joe Haden, Patrick Peterson, Morris Claiborne, and even Revis went very early. Oddly enough Revis being the latest of them all at #14.
So for me, I would rather take the Best Player Available at #28. If that ends up being a CB, then so be it. But let's not just reach for it, because it's not even our most glaring need on defense. MLB and DT are more needed IMO.

And as far as RB in the 1st rd goes... if he is good then why not?? I mean, unless we are consulting Shanahan in our draft war room, then I don't like our track record of getting an Alfred Morris in the 6th rd like he always seems to do.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #43
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

Quote:
I agree with this

Keep Champ at CB fine but, Denver better really bolster DE DT MLB positions. To cover up our aging CB a bit. I'd be tempted if Lacey was there at 28 to pick him.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 PM   #44
NickStixx

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLBRONCO View Post
I agree with this

Keep Champ at CB fine but, Denver better really bolster DE DT MLB positions. To cover up our aging CB a bit. I'd be tempted if Lacey was there at 28 to pick him.
Lol so you actually agree with my post then?
Old 01-20-2013, 07:23 PM   #45
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Tyler Eifert - #80 : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqJRd3mN01w
Big at 6'5", 252, but carries his weight very well. Not afraid of blocking and has ELITE athleticism at the TE spot. Will be a big weapon. Reminds me a lot of Tony Gonzales coming out of Cal.
I LOVE Eifert and have been really impressed with how far he has progressed this year as a blocker. I really think he will be a standout in the league.

Having said that I think we have the depth at TE that allows us to look at other areas of need (DT, MLB, CB, WR, RB, OL)
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 PM   #46
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

does anyone think it may be worth taking a chance on honey badger?
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #47
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickademus View Post
does anyone think it may be worth taking a chance on honey badger?
What round we talking? I wouldn't do it before the 5th. Look at the history of CB's of late that has been in trouble and slipped because of it. Most of them are quite a bit bigger then Mathieu nor did they miss as much time as him.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #48
nickademus
Samurai of Smack

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eddie Royal

Quote:
What round we talking? I wouldn't do it before the 5th. Look at the history of CB's of late that has been in trouble and slipped because of it. Most of them are quite a bit bigger then Mathieu nor did they miss as much time as him.
I agree hes a risk but dude was on his own level when he played, I would throw a late third or a fourth at it depending on what type of condition he shows up at the combine in.
nickademus is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: