The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default OT: Any BBQers here?

i assume offseason mode is in full effect, nothing else to talk about until april.

i am looking to get a new smoker, have my eyes set on either a weber smokey mountain 18.5", or a chargriller kamado egg style cooker. anyone have or know someone who uses either of these?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

My wifes boss has one of these and he cooks some amazing stuff on it

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Do you need a grill as well it just a smoker?

What's the budget?

Finally, are you learning still or do you know how to smoke (and most importantly if It's worth a substantial investment)? Those ceramics are a bit expensive so if you don't smoke currently, you may find you don't like it enough to shell out the big bucks.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
i assume offseason mode is in full effect, nothing else to talk about until april.

i am looking to get a new smoker, have my eyes set on either a weber smokey mountain 18.5", or a chargriller kamado egg style cooker. anyone have or know someone who uses either of these?
I've used the smokey mountain. What do you want to know?
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
My wifes boss has one of these and he cooks some amazing stuff on it

this is exactly what im looking at, also a WSM 18.5

basically im not sure which one i want. this one is more versatile as well as able at cooking at higher temps, the WSM needs a bit more maintenance (refill water every 3 hours or cook with covered/empty pan). but the WSM is arguably the best backyard smoker out. i cant decide which route to go and wanted to hear some reviews/experiences on both.

edit: upon closer inspection that is a BGE. i am looking at a very similar albeit much less expensive one:

Last edited by tsiguy96; 01-13-2013 at 04:54 PM..
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Do you need a grill as well it just a smoker?

What's the budget?

Finally, are you learning still or do you know how to smoke (and most importantly if It's worth a substantial investment)? Those ceramics are a bit expensive so if you don't smoke currently, you may find you don't like it enough to shell out the big bucks.
budget is $300 MAX. the ceramic im looking at, pictured above, is 300, and i have been smoking with my chargriller w/offset firebox, its a huge pain in the ass and EATS charcoal based on its design. a 12 hour smoke will take 15 lbs of charcoal or more, easily. and i need to watch it every 30 minutes the entire time or temp will spike or go too low, its just a bad smoker grill.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I've not used it personally but man he is top notch with it
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
budget is $300 MAX. the ceramic im looking at, pictured above, is 300, and i have been smoking with my chargriller w/offset firebox, its a huge pain in the ass and EATS charcoal based on its design. a 12 hour smoke will take 15 lbs of charcoal or more, easily. and i need to watch it every 30 minutes the entire time or temp will spike or go too low, its just a bad smoker grill.
I'm pretty sure I had an offset Chargriller before. I still have it and use it regularly - it's my storage now. When I have a hot chimney starter or something I don't want the kids running into, I stick it in there. That's the best use of that grill I've gotten since I bought it.

That said, I think the major difference is just whether you want a smoker and a grill or just a smoker. The ceramics make great grills as well but if you're someone that uses gas for grilling, it may be an unneeded redundancy. I've not used that particular one (I have a Primo Oval XL) but it's the same general idea and while I think I would've been a lot happier getting something similar but cheaper, I can't say enough good things about the ceramics overall.

I assume you've found it in your research but I worship the smokingmeatforums.com page. They have reviews for the ceramic and the Weber and it seems people say great things about both.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I'll smoke your meat for cash boys!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:34 PM   #10
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I'll smoke your meat for cash boys!
One would truly have to make it their purpose in life to be as ****ty a poster as you. Many, even then, couldn't accomplish the feat. You should be proud.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Cito Pelon
Attack at all times . . .

Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Anybody use applewood for smoking and BBQ'ing? I love that flavor.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 PM   #12
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:

I have had the Weber smokey mountain for about 8 years now. Originally bought it because i go to Alaska each year Salmon fishing.

Love it and can't say enough about it. In fact, used it yesterday for the game and smoked some tri tips with oak wine barrel wood. It didn't disappoint, unlike the Broncos.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #13
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

I have a Vision Kamado from Costco.

I love the versatility that a kamado style cooker gives you. You can either smoke or grill. With the WSM you are more restricted. My 2 cents, go with the chargriller.

Also, another good fourm is BBQ Brethren http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote