The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
DENVERDUI55

Default 1996 season

Ok I know people say yesterday was like the 96 season with the Jags. I hear people say all the time with out that loss the Bronco's would of had 3 SB rings. I personally see it another way. Green Bay was clearly the best team in the league that year. Nobody was going to beat them as they had best offense and best defense. They had highest scoring offense and the lowest pts allowed defense. I think they would of beat us in the SB that year and crushing the Denver morale with 5th loss in the dance. Super Bowl 32 Green Bay was confident they just had to show up since they were returning champs and NFC always beats AFC etc. I think that loss against Jax allowed Denver to focus next playoffs and realize they have to show up for every playoff game. It also helped them to realize even as a huge dog in SB 32 they could pull off the upset.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
Fusionfrontman
Perennial Pro-bowler

Everything happens for a good reason. I agree that failure breeds success.
Fusionfrontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #3
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Back then we had a coach that would sell his soul to win. Now we have a coach that is a graduate of the Marty Schottenheimer school of playoff coaching.

Big difference.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
winstoncup bronco
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Ok I know people say yesterday was like the 96 season with the Jags. I hear people say all the time with out that loss the Bronco's would of had 3 SB rings. I personally see it another way. Green Bay was clearly the best team in the league that year. Nobody was going to beat them as they had best offense and best defense. They had highest scoring offense and the lowest pts allowed defense. I think they would of beat us in the SB that year and crushing the Denver morale with 5th loss in the dance. Super Bowl 32 Green Bay was confident they just had to show up since they were returning champs and NFC always beats AFC etc. I think that loss against Jax allowed Denver to focus next playoffs and realize they have to show up for every playoff game. It also helped them to realize even as a huge dog in SB 32 they could pull off the upset.
This is just revisionist history.

I've been reading how all of a sudden the '96 team was overrated. That team was 12-1 on December 1st. The Patriots were the #2 seed and they won 11 games all year.

For the stat lovers, the '96 team ranked 1st in yards and 4th in points on offense; 4th & 7th on defense.

The problem was they rested starters the month of December, and that killed the momentum they had.

As good as GB was that year, it took a return TD by Desmond Howard to put the stake in the heart of a vastly inferior NE team in the Super Bowl.

That '96 team was good enough to win it all. They won it next year because they were great, not because they lost.
winstoncup bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #5
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I had a bad feeling about reliving that season, we finished the year 13-3 and were highly rated, we didn't have any trap games and it seemed like we would sail through the playoffs.

It is hard to replace a QB, if teams could go to the SB after replacing a QB they would be changing hands all the time.

We have the luxury of hitting on some great talent, we need to upgrade our RB corps, find a stud MLB, 2 safeties (1 if Champ moves over), maybe a DT who can occupy 2 blockers, maybe a speed slot WR, groom a C of the future and we should steam roll through the RS again.

2 of the 3 teams in our division are rebuilding with new HC's and Oakland is going to bad for awhile yet. It is all there, but we need one more offseason of great FA and draft moves to get to a SB level.

We need to be nastier and stronger on D and we need to be able to run the ball and take the heat off Manning.

In my book the Safeties lost us this game, both of those bums should be taking care of Michael Dean Perry in his old folks home. How you are not deeper than the deepest WR 70 yards down field is inexcusable.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

I keep reading all these "conservative" coaches suck talk....

OK, well we've had 3 HC's over last 35 years considered by many to be "conservative" spanning over 18 seasons. (Miller, Reeves, and Fox)

Their total resume includes 9 division titles (50% of their tenure) and 11 playoff appearances (61%) and 5 AFCCG appearances (28%) and 4 Conference titles (22%)

As for the 2012 season being like the 1996 season....how many of you were wanting Mike fired? how many were saying Elway (who had a losing playoff record and a rep for being a "choker" too) should just give up and retire? How many of you wanted TD to be dumped? Etc....etc...etc.

Bunch of dumbass people in my opinion.....just saying.

Last edited by errand; 01-13-2013 at 05:57 PM..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
BroncoBuff

Playing for January

Adopt-a-Bronco:
MALIK+QUANTERUS

2005 Broncos fit right into this mold too.
BroncoBuff is offline   Reply With Quote