The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #76
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
As I have been saying all the while I have been posting. The rookie"cap" numbers, as well as all players on the final squad as well as those that get placed on IR as well as PUP players have to fit under the salary cap when the season starts.

So if my math is correct 35(under contract for next year) + 18 ( needed to reach roster total) +any placed on IR at any point in the season have to fit under the salary cap at the end of the year.

Now the rookies (probably 7) and 11 other players fall into that 18 needed to field a team all have to come in under that 18.5 mil salary cap number.

And since we know that Pat has not allowed either Josh or John to spend that full value. I will guess that last year 11.5 will be the cushion that Pat wants under the cap. Again if my math is correct we will have 7 mil to sign those 18 players we need to, to reach our roster levels.

Now there are some gyrations that can be done to save money like cutting existing players, but when you do that you still have to replace them and their bonus money (left Orr proration) comes due and is taken out of the cap. For example if we cut DJ we lose his 6 mil salary but have to account for his 1.7 bonus money therefore it is a net savings of 4.3 mil and we still have to replace his body.. For me that is a no brainer. He is at best a backup WLB and we already have two players making less than his 4.3 doing that.

Hope this concludes this conversation.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #77
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
You assume a lot for having a "business" background. You assume that John would have spent 11.5 million because he had a budget. There could be a multitude of reasons why they didn't spend that money, but you assume just one. It could have been allocated to this year because they foresaw a better FA crop. They could have determined that the pieces they could have signed with that money were not worth the long term risk versus reward (my most likely scenario as Bunkley not getting resigned signals this type of thinking).

Not all businesses and especially successful businesses spend the maximum amount that they possibly can each year. Really only in sports, which are often the worst run businesses on the planet and only successful because of the popularity, does this happen.

I do agree that there are a ton of posters on here that want want want and have unrealistic expectations of what the Broncos can do in free agency draft, trades etc... but the fact remains that the Broncos have a high degree of flexibility in the upcoming year of FA compared to other teams cap situation, which in any business is a good situation. Whether they use it effectively remains to be seen.
There was no one out there worth paying for which is why we kept the money.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #78
driver
Pro Bowler

Second Oldest Bronco Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar

[QUOTE
As far as the ride is concerned I'm enjoying Manning and his success, just not acting like an irresponsible 5 year old telling mommy I want I want everything I see in the FA store.

Frankly I do not see loads of money to spend there.[/
QUOTE]

Completely agree with this. IMO he's dead on the MONEY.There are at least 5 or 6 teams way over the caps, They either have to restructure contracts or cut vets and go with rookies( because of rookie cap rules) FA are about to be a glut in the market.
driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:52 AM   #79
SportinOne
Ring of Famer

Can we just clear up one thing?

The Patriots are not going to simply let Wes Welker walk. End of story.

As far as the guy from the Rams...if they hadn't had a glimmer of life this season I would say maybe but i'm guessing he gets re-signed very quickly.

One more thing: If finding a great slot receiver were as easy as finding "someone quick" to throw in there, Caldwell would have had an amazing year.

Here's another thing, the core of this team is young and will be together for a while. Provided we re sign Clady (I don't understand how we wouldn't), there's no one leaving that will really be missed. And heck, if DJ Williams wants to stick around and prove himself, more power to him. Great depth.

So we'll lose a bit of depth but we'll gain it back with more smart FAs, and we get to draft (probably at 32 but whatever), and we'll have an even stronger team next year!

Guys: THIS is exciting.
SportinOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #80
SlyEli

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
As I have been saying all the while I have been posting. The rookie"cap" numbers, as well as all players on the final squad as well as those that get placed on IR as well as PUP players have to fit under the salary cap when the season starts.

So if my math is correct 35(under contract for next year) + 18 ( needed to reach roster total) +any placed on IR at any point in the season have to fit under the salary cap at the end of the year.

Now the rookies (probably 7) and 11 other players fall into that 18 needed to field a team all have to come in under that 18.5 mil salary cap number.

And since we know that Pat has not allowed either Josh or John to spend that full value. I will guess that last year 11.5 will be the cushion that Pat wants under the cap. Again if my math is correct we will have 7 mil to sign those 18 players we need to, to reach our roster levels.

Now there are some gyrations that can be done to save money like cutting existing players, but when you do that you still have to replace them and their bonus money (left Orr proration) comes due and is taken out of the cap. For example if we cut DJ we lose his 6 mil salary but have to account for his 1.7 bonus money therefore it is a net savings of 4.3 mil and we still have to replace his body.. For me that is a no brainer. He is at best a backup WLB and we already have two players making less than his 4.3 doing that.

Hope this concludes this conversation.
I don't know much about cap figures and all that jazz, but what reason would Bowlen have for staying that far under the cap each year? Why not sign and re-sign guys until we're only 1-2 million under the cap? Is it just him being cheap or what?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:58 PM   #81
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
There was no one out there worth paying for which is why we kept the money.
While last year it may have been true.

Since mikey left PATor JOE has not allowed us to reach the cap.

Pat comment after the firing that Mikey's free spending with no results was one of his reasons for making the change. Also that future FO's would have less to spend each year.

At once the the rumor was started that Pat was broke. While he may not be rolling in cash personally I doubt he does not have the money to run the team.

If you go back and look at all the dead cap money we had each year, if you add it up I'll bet that it totaled near a hundred million. All wasted money as the players either played poorly or not at all for us mostly aging veterans with out landish contracts.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:59 PM   #82
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibroncofan View Post
I don't know much about cap figures and all that jazz, but what reason would Bowlen have for staying that far under the cap each year? Why not sign and re-sign guys until we're only 1-2 million under the cap? Is it just him being cheap or what?

In b4 Socal
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #83
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

[QUOTE=driver;3776417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar

[QUOTE

Completely agree with this. IMO he's dead on the MONEY.There are at least 5 or 6 teams way over the caps, They either have to restructure contracts or cut vets and go with rookies( because of rookie cap rules) FA are about to be a glut in the market.
Just like every year this happens. But again it is not like we are rolling in cash either. With only 35 guys under contract for next year only having MAX 18.5 to spend and at least 18 players to just fill out the roster.

That does not leave much n the table IF Pat allows them to go max cap.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:06 PM   #84
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
would love to see them use some money to sign Welker this offseason. The offense lacks quickness at the receiver position. Stokely has been solid but he'll be 37 next season. A Manning to welker connection would be tough to stop, hopefully he can be acquired for a decent price.
Upgrading speed at the slot would be good.

I think the priority should be RB, MLB, at least one if not 2 Safeties (if they don't move Champ to FS), I would take a DT that can eat 2 blockers, and we need to groom a C.

We don't have a ton of holes to fill, signing Clady should be a priority.

I hope John can use Shanny's methodology to find us a late round RB who is explosive and can help take the heat off Manning.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #85
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
As I have stated before mikey drive us max cap every year. And in most he had to re-do contracts each year to get under it.

Each time the players got a nice incentive up front to do so. The following guys did it at least once. John, TD, Rod, Jake (twice or more ).

Each time they did so it just drove the following years (proration of the up front bonus for the length of the contract higher) so he was writing checks on next year or in some cases the next 3-4 years to get under the cap.

Plus mikey signed a lot of veterans rentals that were over paid, played poorly and were cut with time left on their contracts, which then that bonus money went into the dead cap money. IIRC one year it was right at 20 mil in dead money.

Pat is probably trying to recoup some of that money that was wasted and if his coaching staff can win without spending every dime why spend it all?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:17 PM   #86
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

After locking up Clady and seeing about an early bargain deal on Extending Von until the Earth and Mars switch orbits, we should make damn sure we lock up Speedy Gonzales Holliday for the duration!

That kid held on to the ball, made great decisions yesterday and showed he is really learning in addition to being the single most electric kick returner anywhere right now!

Has there ever been a faster return man in the NFL I doubt it. With continued work in the offseason on making him golden with ball security and knowing just when to run and when to fair catch it, he WILL be a major key to many wins next season.

Will likely find a way to work him in to his share of pass plays as well from Manning.

Two new very solid RBs are a must. Or at least a Terrell Davis, Alfred Morris type pick up to who can also pass protect like a demon for Manning.

Knowshon was an asset when he was healthy, but that is the thing with him. McGahee might serve one more year in a solid backup/short yardage roll, while a beefed up Hillman and a new Star RB dominate the backfield. That is a key missing piece for SB glory and would complete the Superbowl picture that Elway painted in the late 90s .. on offense at least.

A new top Corner to replace Champ while moving him to Safety ( Rahim can back up Champ for a couple years .. Champ might still have one more solid year at CB, the bad first half notwithstanding as even Champ can have bad half every now and then) and a stud inside LB to go in between Woodyard and Miller would go a long way toward further strengthing the D in reality as well as in the stats ..

Also at least one genuine top rated DT in the trenches to line up next to Wolfe with Unrein, Vickerson and Malik Jackson in rotation.. maybe Bannen too for one more year unless we grab someone better in FA? Jason Hunter is likely back too to help compete for a DE spot as well.

Better depth at the last two or three WR spots under a further DT, Decker and Stokely who I expect will be back and ready to play at a high level one last year, will round out our needs nicely.

Last edited by Hulamau; 01-13-2013 at 05:42 PM..
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #87
Bmore Manning

"Free Agency is the Devil!" -Lonestar
Old 01-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #88
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
"Free Agency is the Devil!" -Lonestar
He's just telling people the truth.

Clady is looking at a minimum of $9.6M, if we just tag him. He already turned down 5/$50M. So half our free room is going to him. Colquitt and Carter are undrafted RFA's, so basically straight FAs, they won't be stupid cheap (probably $2M for Carter and only a little less for Colquitt). All three of our DTs need new deals.

Sum total this team needs to cut DJ, Mays, etc just to retain it's own, sign draft picks, and pick up a few cheaper vets. That assumes we spend damn near to the cap too.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #89
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Clady is looking at a minimum of $9.6M, if we just tag him. He already turned down 5/$50M. So half our free room is going to him. Colquitt and Carter are undrafted RFA's, so basically straight FAs, they won't be stupid cheap (probably $2M for Carter and only a little less for Colquitt). All three of our DTs need new deals.

Sum total this team needs to cut DJ, Mays, etc just to retain it's own, sign draft picks, and pick up a few cheaper vets. That assumes we spend damn near to the cap too.
The cap can be massaged DREK, I would have thought you understood that.. Deals can be reworked, players cut. The cap really isn't as big of a problem as you perceive it. Sure tagging Clady would sting, but I expect a long term deal. I expect cuts, I expect reworked deals.

How do you think the holes on this team will be addressed, the draft alone? There will be free agent signings, not big time splashes, but second tier players for sure.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #90
DENVERDUI55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post

Shipping Prater would save some bucks wouldn't it? He was 4th highest paid player this year.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #91
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
Shipping Prater would save some bucks wouldn't it? He was 4th highest paid player this year.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #92
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:

Since mikey left PATor JOE has not allowed us to reach the cap.

I'm glad you've finally admitted there are significant budget restrictions being imposed from above which hamper our ability to compete. Elways work is even more impressive in that regard.

Of course you are wrong about the since Mike part. Bowlers cheapness started long before that. I once broke down the year by year spending data. For the 00-09 period we were about 20th in the league in spending. Nor can dead money explain this. If you look at the year by year totals you will find about 2 very big spending years and like 6 or 7 very low years....shouldn't take that long to weed out 2 bad years. Also you will note there was no SF or TEN style cap tidal wave that hit our team. This would be expected if dead money were the main explanation....never happened.

Wonder why the old man is hoarding all that cash? I hope it's more than just Blue Label.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #93
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Iirc we only have some 35 players under contract for next year.

A lot of that money will be required to finish out the team. As well as again IIRC about 7 million will be needed on rookie contracts both for the coming year as well as the prorated portion of any signing bonuses.

So that whooping 18 mil will,soon be gone.
48 players currently under contract including some futures deals announced in the last 1-2 weeks

Here's the full cap count roster for 2013 as it stands right now

QB
Peyton Manning $20,000,000* - Not guaranteed until he passes March physical
Brock Osweiler $729,396
Caleb Hanie $1,250,000

RB
Willis McGahee $3,000,000* - SB proration remaining $1m, cut saves $2m
Knowshon Moreno $3,475,750 - SB proration $832k, cut saves $2.6m

Ronnie Hillman $652,708
Jacob Hester $715,000
Mario Fannan $483,333

FB

WR
Demaryius Thomas $2,430,250* - possibly due incentive pay
Eric Decker $758,037* - same as Thomas
Andre Caldwell $1,000,000
Trindon Holiday KR $480,000
Eric Page $480,361
Gerell Robinson $405,000

TE
Joel Dreessen $3,333,333 - $1.667m left in SB proration
Jacob Tamme $3,333,333 - $1.667m left in SB proration

Julius Thomas $651,000
Virgil Green $559,320

OL
Chris Kuper OG $5,915,166 - $950k left in SB proration, cut/trade saves $5m
Orlando Franklin OT $1,191,000
Zane Beadles OG $1,005,000
Manuel Ramirez OG $715,000
JD Walton OC $774,375
Philip Blake OC $593,400
CJ Davis OG $555,000
Justin Boren OG $405,000

DE
Elvis Dumervil DE $16,948,000 - $1.27m left in SB proration - cut/trade saves $15.7m
Derek Wolfe DE/DT $1,193,582
Robert Ayers DE $2,241,250 - All guarantees gone, no SB proration left
Malik Jackson DE $533,400
Jeremy Beal DE $405,000

DT
Sealver Siliga DT $480,000

OLB
Von Miller SLB $5,727,376
DJ Williams WLB $7,732,500 - $900k SB proration remains, cut saves $6.8m
Wesley Woodyard WLB $2,000,000
Nate Irving SLB $728,750
Danny Trevathon WLB $506,018

ILB
Joe Mays MLB $4,166,667 - $670k still guaranteed, cut saves $3.5m
Steven Johnson MLB $484,000

CB
Champ Bailey $10,500,000 - nothing guaranteed, cut/trade saves $10.5m
Chris Harris $556,000
Omar Bolden $598,607
Coryell Judie $483,333

S
Mike Adams SS $2,000,000 - Nothing guaranteed, cut saves $2m
Rahim Moore FS $987,500
Quinton Carter SS $668,750

SPECIAL TEAMS

K
Matt Prater $3,312,500

P

KR/PR
Trindon Holiday Already Listed

LS
Aaron Brewer $481,333

I have us closer to $17.5m under the cap once we include the $1.5m we're still owed from the Redskins/Cowboys penalties which we chose not to utilise in 2012.

IMHO Elway will be looking hard at the deals bolded above, especially Dumervil's, Champ's, DJ's and Mays. Some creative accounting there could clear another $20m if the Broncos wish to make a real push again next season.

My other worry is performance related pay for some of our 3rd year players, I see major hikes for some of our guys like, Thomas, Decker and Harris which could dimminish the cap room available even more

Our own free agents obviously take priority including

Clady - $10m-$12m range
Colquitt RFA $2m
Vickerson $3m-$5m range
Bannan $2m
Unrein RFA $1.5m
Tony Carter RFA $2m
Stokes $1m
Jason Hunter $1m
Koppen $1m-$2m
Bruton $1m
Leonhard $1m
Brooking $1m

I will update this in a separate thread once the offseason starts kicking off.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #94
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Denver needs to be looking at a veteran safety again. A strong middle-linebacker wouldn't hurt, either. This focus on receivers is nuts in comparison. If there is any part of this offense that needs focus it is running back. Moreno bailed once again and with no depth at all it really stung.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:20 AM   #95
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
The cap can be massaged DREK, I would have thought you understood that.. Deals can be reworked, players cut. The cap really isn't as big of a problem as you perceive it. Sure tagging Clady would sting, but I expect a long term deal. I expect cuts, I expect reworked deals.

How do you think the holes on this team will be addressed, the draft alone? There will be free agent signings, not big time splashes, but second tier players for sure.
Who are all these deals that can be reworked?

You make it seem like child's play.

Even if you rework a deal the bonuse money you pay gets prorated into this coming season..

In order to just fill the roster up with bodies 18 of them it is going to eat most if not all your free cap money IF PAT allows them to go all the way to the top of the cap. Something he has not done the past three years.

Plus if they do rework contracts for this year it just adds additional prorated money forthe duration of those contracts thus eating up cap space for as many as five more years. Killing the future. Something "building via the draft" is totally contrary to.

I know you think this is as easy as cutting a couple of guys like my payers and Dj but then there prorated money comes due 1.7 for DJ not sure how much Mayes got when signing.

If you cut DJ you saved 6 mil at most,but then you have to fill anther spot. So maybe you save five mil best case scenario.

I know you think I'm the devil. Because I keep telling you that you do not have all the money you think you do. But those are the facts Jack.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #96
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
48 players currently under contract including some futures deals announced in the last 1-2 weeks

Here's the full cap count roster for 2013 as it stands right now

QB
Peyton Manning $20,000,000* - Not guaranteed until he passes March physical
Brock Osweiler $729,396
Caleb Hanie $1,250,000

RB
Willis McGahee $3,000,000* - SB proration remaining $1m, cut saves $2m
Knowshon Moreno $3,475,750 - SB proration $832k, cut saves $2.6m

Ronnie Hillman $652,708
Jacob Hester $715,000
Mario Fannan $483,333

FB

WR
Demaryius Thomas $2,430,250* - possibly due incentive pay
Eric Decker $758,037* - same as Thomas
Andre Caldwell $1,000,000
Trindon Holiday KR $480,000
Eric Page $480,361
Gerell Robinson $405,000

TE
Joel Dreessen $3,333,333 - $1.667m left in SB proration
Jacob Tamme $3,333,333 - $1.667m left in SB proration

Julius Thomas $651,000
Virgil Green $559,320

OL
Chris Kuper OG $5,915,166 - $950k left in SB proration, cut/trade saves $5m
Orlando Franklin OT $1,191,000
Zane Beadles OG $1,005,000
Manuel Ramirez OG $715,000
JD Walton OC $774,375
Philip Blake OC $593,400
CJ Davis OG $555,000
Justin Boren OG $405,000

DE
Elvis Dumervil DE $16,948,000 - $1.27m left in SB proration - cut/trade saves $15.7m
Derek Wolfe DE/DT $1,193,582
Robert Ayers DE $2,241,250 - All guarantees gone, no SB proration left
Malik Jackson DE $533,400
Jeremy Beal DE $405,000

DT
Sealver Siliga DT $480,000

OLB
Von Miller SLB $5,727,376
DJ Williams WLB $7,732,500 - $900k SB proration remains, cut saves $6.8m
Wesley Woodyard WLB $2,000,000
Nate Irving SLB $728,750
Danny Trevathon WLB $506,018

ILB
Joe Mays MLB $4,166,667 - $670k still guaranteed, cut saves $3.5m
Steven Johnson MLB $484,000

CB
Champ Bailey $10,500,000 - nothing guaranteed, cut/trade saves $10.5m
Chris Harris $556,000
Omar Bolden $598,607
Coryell Judie $483,333

S
Mike Adams SS $2,000,000 - Nothing guaranteed, cut saves $2m
Rahim Moore FS $987,500
Quinton Carter SS $668,750

SPECIAL TEAMS

K
Matt Prater $3,312,500

P

KR/PR
Trindon Holiday Already Listed

LS
Aaron Brewer $481,333

I have us closer to $17.5m under the cap once we include the $1.5m we're still owed from the Redskins/Cowboys penalties which we chose not to utilise in 2012.

IMHO Elway will be looking hard at the deals bolded above, especially Dumervil's, Champ's, DJ's and Mays. Some creative accounting there could clear another $20m if the Broncos wish to make a real push again next season.

My other worry is performance related pay for some of our 3rd year players, I see major hikes for some of our guys like, Thomas, Decker and Harris which could dimminish the cap room available even more

Our own free agents obviously take priority including

Clady - $10m-$12m range
Colquitt RFA $2m
Vickerson $3m-$5m range
Bannan $2m
Unrein RFA $1.5m
Tony Carter RFA $2m
Stokes $1m
Jason Hunter $1m
Koppen $1m-$2m
Bruton $1m
Leonhard $1m
Brooking $1m

I will update this in a separate thread once the offseason starts kicking off.
What is your source.?
Because the one I have seen Shows only 35 players under contract for 2013.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 AM   #97
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

This was posted in another thread. It shows the information of how I came to those numbers.

Quote:
Denver rolled over 26 million into the Salary Cap in 2012, this made our Cap Total $147.26 Million of money available to be spent, which includes salary and bonus. Denver spent around $137.53 Million this season.. which means there’s about $10 million dollars of Cap Rollover into next season.. this is where I got my $10 Cap Room Number. That’s just rollover money, so this puts the spending mark limit around $131 Million roughly.. the Salary Cap is projected to be about $121 Million for 2013.

Now here is the intricate part which I said requires some pretty extensive research.. below is a list of the players under contract for the Denver Broncos heading into the 2013 NFL season and THEIR SALARY.. take note that this does not reflect the total salary cap number, because it does not include bonuses. I am not privied to what teams pay out for in bonuses prior to the season.. we know that there is typically a signing bonus associated with most contracts, and this guaranteed money gets prorated over the contract for several years. This is why when you go on spot tract you are only able to see Cap Hit for 2012.. in will say Salary, Signing Bonus, Other Bonus.. these numbers added up are what give you your Cap Hit for the year.

Manning $20 M
Dumervil $12 M
Bailey $9 M
DJ Williams $6 M
Kuper $4.5 M
Dreesen, Prater, & Tamme $2.5 M
Von Miller $2.28 M
Woodyard $2 M
Adams $1.75 M
Moreno $1.7 M
Hanie $1.25 M
Ayers $1.06 M
Caldwell $900 K
DT $836 K
Franklin $771 K
Ramirez & Hester $715 K
Beadles & Decker $575 K
Julius Thomas, Moore, Green, Irving, & Harris $555 K
Wolfe, Brewer, Malik Jackson, Steve Johnson, Bolden, Trevethan, Holliday, Hillman, & Osweiler $480 K

Salary Total Roughly $89 Million
So that is a current salary cap hit of $89 Million, this does not include bonuses, again I am not privied to bonuses because I do not have their actual contracts in front of me. But I do know based on viewing the amount of time left on current players contracts, there should not be a significant bonus cap hit… over the length of a time of a contract the cap hit either goes up or comes down, fortunately for us, our players with higher cap hits had more front loaded contracts, and what you see is what you get..

Signing Rookie Players
To sign a draft class will count about $7 Million against the cap..
This puts Denver at a $96 Million Cap Hit, this is with the list of players above and our signed draft class.. Remember this does not include the bonus money of players from the long list above, but that $7 million draft class is a very accurate total cap hit gauge.

Bonuses
As I have reieterated throughout the post, I am not privied to what the entire cap hit will be per player under contract because I do not know what their contract allows for in terms of bonuses. What I do know is the big name free agent who will get a huge signing bonus this offseason that will be prorated over the contract will be Ryan Clady, assuming of course he is resigned. When free agents sign a contract, they care more about the guaranteed money that they will get upfront and no matter if they are injured or not, salary is an after thought. Denver had $30 million dollars of bonuses towards the cap last season. If we assume that number is the same for 2013, then our cap figure is now $126 Million… this includes the entire list of current signed players, our draft class signed, and all bonuses included…
This will have Denver with about $5 million to spend towards impending free agents and free agents that will hit the open market. I just want to note I do not think the bonus money will account for some $30 million dollars next season, I expect about $20 million.. which gives us $15 million to spend towards free agency.

Impending Free Agents
Lance Ball, Justin Bannan, Keith Brooking, David Bruton, Tony Carter, Chris Clark, Britton Colquitt
C.J. Davis, Chris Gronkowski, Dan Koppen, Jim Leonhard, Sealver Siliga, Brandon Stokley, Mitch Unrein
Kevin Vickerson, Matt Willis, Tracy Porter, and Ryan Clady.

Conclusion
We are a very fortunate team in the NFL to have such a plethora of skilled young talent.. right now we are paying peanuts for guys who are doing great things on the roster. Regardless of who you think we should resign, who you think we should draft, who you think we should pursue in free agency.. you need to have a firm grasp of where we stand in regards to the cap. Maybe you think some deals should be reworked, maybe some players should be outright cut so we can increase our ability to spend.
My best assessment puts Denver with $5-$15 Million towards free agency spending.. that included our own impending free agents as well as whats their on the market. I spent several hours on this.. so make sure when you Draft Gurus use my numbers in your Mock threads, you be sure to give me a shout out, or reference that you got the numbers from me.. Enjoy the numbers and get creative!!
actual numbers from the site quoted..

Players currently under contract for 2013..

$104,209K and Change..

2012 players that will need to be replaced in some manner Unlikely most of these will be cheaper.. Other than Porter who was expensive as a Backup but would have been decent as a starter at $4mil..

$22,609k and change

total of the money is $126,818 K and change..

Code:
  	        Base Salary 	S. Bonus 	Misc. Bonus 	Cap Hit
Dumervil  2013 	12,000,000 423,000 	4,525,000 	16,948,00
Bailey 2013 	9,000,000 	- 	1,500,000 	10,500,000
Adams 2013 	1,750,000 	- 	250,000 	2,000,000
Ayers $2013 	1,060,000 	- 	1,181,250 	2,241,250  
Beadles 2013 	575,000 	430,000 	- 	1,005,000
Bolden 2013 	480,000 	118,607 	- 	598,607
Brewer      2013 	480,000 	1,333 	- 	481,333
Caldewell 2013 	900,000 	100,000 	- 	1,000,000
Decker 2013 	575,000 	183,037 	- 	758,037
Dressen  2013 	2,500,000 	833,333 	- 	3,333,333
Franklin 2013 	771,000 	420,000 	- 	1,191,000
Green 2013 	555,000 	4,320 	- 	559,320
Gronkowski  2012 	540,000 	- 	- 	540,000
Hanie        2013 	1,250,000 	- 	- 	1,250,000
HArris c   2013 	555,000 	1,000 	- 	556,000
Hester       2013 	715,000 	- 	- 	715,000
Hilman  2013 	480,000 	172,708 	- 	652,708
Holiday      2013 	480,000 	- 	- 	480,000
Irving   2013 	555,000 	173,750 	- 	728,750
Jackson      2013 	480,000 	53,400 	- 	533,400
Johnson     2013 	480,000 	4,000 	- 	484,000
Kuper   2013 4,500,000 	315,166 	1,100,000 	5,915,166
Manning  2013 	20,000,000 	-   	-   	20,000,000
Miller   2013 	2,284,125 	3,443,251 	- 	5,727,376
Moore    2013 	555,000 	432,500 	- 	987,500
Moreno      2013 	1,700,000 	832,000 	943,750 	3,475,750
Osweliere   2013 	480,000 	249,396 	- 	729,396
Pratar   2013 	2,500,000 	812,500 	- 	3,312,500
Tamme    2013 	2,500,000 	500,000 	- 	3,000,000
Thomas D  2013 	836,500 	1,593,750 	- 	2,430,250
Thomas J   2013 	555,000 	96,000 	- 	651,000
Trevathan   2013 	480,000 	26,018 	- 	506,018
Williams  2013 	6,000,000 	250,000 	1,482,500 	7,732,500
Wolfe   2013 	480,000 	566,910 	146,672 	1,193,582
Woodyard   2013 	2,000,000 	- 	- 	2,000,000

RFA/UFA
Ball           2012 	540,000 	- 	- 	540,000
Bannan     2012 	1,000,000 	- 	- 	1,000,000
Brooking 2012 	1,000,000 	- 	- 	1,000,000
Burton  2012 	615,000 	120,600 	-  735,600
Carter 2012 	615,000 	- 	- 	615,000
Clady   2012 	3,500,000 	- 	2,329,375 	5,829,375
Clark  2012 	540,000 	- 	- 	540,000
Colquitt 2012 	540,000 	- 	- 	540,000
Davis   2012 	615,000 	- 	- 	615,000
Koppen    2012 	825,000 	- 	- 	825,000
Leonard   2012 	825,000 	65,000 	- 	890,000
Porter   2012 	3,000,000 	1,000,000 	- 	4,000,000
Ramierez   2013 	715,000 	- 	- 	715,000
Siliga   2012 	390,000 	- 	- 	390,000
Stokely   2012 	1,000,000 	- 	- 	1,000,000
Urein   2012 	415,000 	- 	- 	415,000
Vickerson   2012 	1,200,000 	500,000 	- 	1,700,000
Willis    2012 	1,260,000 	- 	- 	1,260,000
While I applaud BMs work and thoughts here I see us with less than 20 million to work with to fill all the UFA or RFA spots that I either did not have valid numbers for for 2013 (RFA) or holes that UFA create..

that is assuming we do not resign Clady to the mega contract he is looking for..
If we do then we are looking at about 8 million of which he thinks 7 will be for Rookie contracts..

Now let me add something in here, Pat has had both Josh and John on a short leash in spending up to the cap value.. Therefore unless he opens up the purse strings we are either going to have to redo under performing players contracts, cut some of these guys or NOT sign any UFA and since we currently have only 35 players under contract something will have to give....
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 AM   #98
Bmore Manning

Lonestar I didn't call you that rather I quoted that as something you would say. When I did those numbers again I was using my iPhone and didn't see where you could find the bonus money, and then DB4L enlightened us, otherwise they would have been pretty spot on.

And then Bacchus and Req both posted that article that said we have $18 million in cap room going into next season, with 35 signed players. That's without any cuts or reworked deals. Signing our rookie class of 7 players is no more than a $7million cap hit.

Then Req was showing some moves that would free up some money, DJ, Mays and others..
The front office could approach Doom, Bailey, Kuper.. Others

Peyton has taken less in the past.

How do you expect to improve, just draftees? There will be some money spent on Free Agency.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:06 AM   #99
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Lonestar I didn't call you that rather I quoted that as something you would say. When I did those numbers again I was using my iPhone and didn't see where you could find the bonus money, and then DB4L enlightened us, otherwise they would have been pretty spot on.

And then Bacchus and Req both posted that article that said we have $18 million in cap room going into next season, with 35 signed players. That's without any cuts or reworked deals. Signing our rookie class of 7 players is no more than a $7million cap hit.

Then Req was showing some moves that would free up some money, DJ, Mays and others..
The front office could approach Doom, Bailey, Kuper.. Others

Peyton has taken less in the past.

How do you expect to improve, just draftees? There will be some money spent on Free Agency.
Everything everyone else said was in post 97 in this thread and was reported from your thread several weeks ago. they posted Nothing new that had not been posted in my post.

As far as building via the draft. Even I'm not the dumb to think they will fill 18+ spots with seven draft spots. which someone in another thread pointed out should be somewhere between 3.5-5 million not the 7 I used quoting your original post in that thread.

We are going to have to come up with money just to be able to sign those 18 more like 25 guys to get us through the season considering we have 7+ players on IR each year.

Your idea about asking vets to resign is something that got mikey into to trouble cap wise during most of his time in Denver. I'm not sure that John is going to walk down Mikey's path, for that matter not sure that Pat will allow it either.

It makes more sense to cut aging vets and eat their prorated bonus and fill those spots with younger less costly players.

As for manning timing less, do you really think that he is going to give up money from a contract he just did less than a year ago?

Since none of us have all the facts, I will continue to ask where are we going to get the money to sign those 18-25 player to fill the roster.

LET ALONE go after a bunch of super studs.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #100
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
What is your source.?
Because the one I have seen Shows only 35 players under contract for 2013.
Spotrac, Rotoworld, various others I've been using for years. All pretty accurate, the above list is up to date and as I've said also accounts for futures contracts signed by players since the regular season ended often not reported globally such as Page, Robinson, Boren etc etc, players who may have been in camp with us before and are a long shot to make the roster.
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote