The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can Moreno Be A Significant Part Of This Team?
Yes 63 94.03%
No 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson
Default Can Moreno Help This Team Win?

I wasn't sure what to title this thread. I was going to title it "Can Moreno Be The Guy" but didn't know if that really conveyed the intent.

My premise here is that if he can get his **** together, can he get a significant amount of carries and help this team win? And not just tonight with 30+ carries, but next year when Willis McGahee is presumably back, or when we have FA options? Can Moreno do enough for this stretch for us to not have to commit resources to bringing a new running back in?

Look, I know he's not a first round pick. But I would suggest that he doesn't need to be. He doesn't need to be Adrian Peterson. He just needs to be average or above-average with Peyton Manning running the show.

So what say you? Can he play on this football team next season?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #2
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Voted No. I think he will run hard this year and probably buy himself some more time in the league, but I'd be shocked if Denver didn't acquire a feature FA RB, and draft another back in a class that's much better than last year.

1A/1B FA Back/McGahee
2A/ Powerback draftpick
3rd Down/Change of pace back Hillman.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Voted No. I think he will run hard this year and probably buy himself some more time in the league, but I'd be shocked if Denver didn't acquire a feature FA RB, and draft another back in a class that's much better than last year.

1A/1B FA Back/McGahee
2A/ Powerback draftpick
3rd Down/Change of pace back Hillman.
I don't necessarily disagree that Moreno is gone, but you think we both draft a guy and sign a guy? I'm not sure on that. I could see more of an either/or situation. We can beef up other spots on this roster.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
lolcopter

All he needs to do is move the chains and don't turn the ball over, anything more is gravy
Old 12-06-2012, 09:21 PM   #5
Bacchus

Neither Hillman or Moreno has shown me they can be anything but serviceable. With Manning that could be enough to win the SB, I do not know. I know in the draft they need to look for another back to compete with these guys.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Neither Hillman or Moreno has shown me they can be anything but serviceable. With Manning that could be enough to win the SB, I do not know. I know in the draft they need to look for another back to compete with these guys.
I guess my question would be, can we get by with serviceable and beef up other spots on this roster going forward? Because I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of Hillman or Moreno, but I wonder if we can still get by with them.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Certainly Moreno can be a prime contributor to the offense. But they still need to bolster the RB corps through the draft. If the team is dumb enough to let Moreno go, he'll be snapped up real fast by another team. Best bet is to keep Moreno/McGahee/Hillman, but bring in some competition on day two.
Cito Pelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
Bacchus

Yeah, I think they are all solid, but don't you want better than that? They will have to do for this year and I think because of Manning they can still provide enough to win the Super Bowl. Me personally would love to see Jeremiah Johnson get a shot but it is not going to happen.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
Agamemnon

He "can" be, but I seriously doubt he will be. If he tears it up from hear on out, that might change, but right now I think Fox is going to push for his kind of back in the 1st or 2nd round.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Yeah, I think they are all solid, but don't you want better than that? They will have to do for this year and I think because of Manning they can still provide enough to win the Super Bowl. Me personally would love to see Jeremiah Johnson get a shot but it is not going to happen.
Of course I want better. But I also want every position on the roster to be a Pro Bowler. That's unrealistic.

What I'm wondering is if we can get better at other positions and still be OK at RB. We only have so much money to spend and so many draft picks to use.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #11
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
He "can" be, but I seriously doubt he will be. If he tears it up from hear on out, that might change, but right now I think Fox is going to push for his kind of back in the 1st or 2nd round.
I can appreciate an elite RB, I do... but man I'd rather continue to make the defense better that early in the draft.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #12
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhymesayersDU View Post
Of course I want better. But I also want every position on the roster to be a Pro Bowler. That's unrealistic.

What I'm wondering is if we can get better at other positions and still be OK at RB. We only have so much money to spend and so many draft picks to use.
What positions do you see as greater priorities? MLB seems rather obvious, but beyond that I can't think of any position we have a greater need at than running back. Mind you McGahee is pretty much done as a back. 30+ year old backs almost never last long.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
I don't necessarily disagree that Moreno is gone, but you think we both draft a guy and sign a guy? I'm not sure on that. I could see more of an either/or situation. We can beef up other spots on this roster.
With the limited Peyton window, I think you''re going to see lots of movement to acquire offensive weapons. If we're honest, sans Demaryius this team lacks elite athleticism at TE, RB, and secondary receivers. KM is certainly a better utility back than Ball, but with his pending salary increase and special team limitations I doubt he's going to be in the plans long term.

I think Denver will make a FA play for a younger workhorse back. This will bump Willis McGahee to goal line/short yardage duty (what he was supposed to be from the beginning). I think they will hen draft another back fairly high to eventually replace Willis. I think they will keep Hillman as a 3rd Down back for another season. Doesn't leave a lot of room for Moreno.

Keep in mind, we're probably only a couple of years away from the Brock Osweiller show. They're going to want to have a decent stable of backs as a safety blanket.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What positions do you see as greater priorities? MLB seems rather obvious, but beyond that I can't think of any position we have a greater need at than running back. Mind you McGahee is pretty much done as a back. 30+ year old backs almost never last long.
That's fair. I mean we really hit on Chris Harris, and Moore is improving. We do need a MLB, as you stated. I don't know, I just feel like depth in other areas might help more? Maybe I'm wrong here, and more RB help would be the best route.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Agamemnon

Quote:
I can appreciate an elite RB, I do... but man I'd rather continue to make the defense better that early in the draft.
I'd prefer a MLB in the 1st round, but if there's a back who is clearly better than any MLB on the board I really can't see any reasonable argument against it. A dynamic running back would be like adding nitro to a sports car. Yes it was fast before, but now it's from another world. (Run blocking needs to be fixed as well mind you.)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #16
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Were set at RB, except for a late rounder to replace Lance Ball.

Bring us to the Superbowl dudes.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
With the limited Peyton window, I think you''re going to see lots of movement to acquire offensive weapons. If we're honest, sans Demaryius this team lacks elite athleticism at TE, RB, and secondary receivers. KM is certainly a better utility back than Ball, but with his pending salary increase and special team limitations I doubt he's going to be in the plans long term.

I think Denver will make a FA play for a younger workhorse back. This will bump Willis McGahee to goal line/short yardage duty (what he was supposed to be from the beginning). I think they will hen draft another back fairly high to eventually replace Willis. I think they will keep Hillman as a 3rd Down back for another season. Doesn't leave a lot of room for Moreno.

Keep in mind, we're probably only a couple of years away from the Brock Osweiller show. They're going to want to have a decent stable of backs as a safety blanket.
I don't see any reason to think Manning is going to retire any time soon.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
Bacchus

Quote:

Well, I would use at least a 3rd or 4th rounder on a back next year. I would leave all FA RBs alone and spend that money elsewhere.
Old 12-06-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
BroncoBen
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos !!

The Broncos have no choice but to rely on Moreno the rest of the way, all he has to do is pick up a few 1st downs.. And not turnover the ball !
BroncoBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 PM   #20
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

So other than Manti Te'o, who short of getting caught with a dead prostitute in his trunk the week before the combine, we have no chance of getting, who are some of the other MLB's that might be worth a pick in the late 20's to 32? The kid from Georgia? I like the Skove (sp?) kid from Stanford.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:26 PM   #21
Agamemnon

Quote:
So other than Manti Te'o, who short of getting caught with a dead prostitute in his trunk the week before the combine, we have no chance of getting, who are some of the other MLB's that might be worth a pick in the late 20's to 32? The kid from Georgia? I like the Skove (sp?) kid from Stanford.
Kevin Minter might be a good choice late in the 1st. If he declares that is.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
lolcopter

Quote:
Defense is #3 overall currently yet we still hear this argument? BPA all day
Old 12-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #23
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Unless he blows it up the rest of the season I think they will ask him to work for less guaranteed and offer him incentives. Which mean he can earn those big buck or actually pay back all those big check he has received while in rehab.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:12 AM   #24
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Defense is #3 overall currently yet we still hear this argument? BPA all day
I didn't say the defense sucks or anything. But anyways BPA isn't a bad idea.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #25
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I don't know how anyone can vote no here, he did what he was asked on a night when the line was playing very up and down.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote