The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Armchair Bronco

Default Bengals and Vikings...

The Bengals and Vikings looked completely inept today.

The Vikings, I'll give 'em a break because Ponder didn't start. But even so, I expected more out of Peterson. His performance really ought to give the MVP to Manning.

The Bengals OTOH were a complete joke from top to bottom. Dalton melted under pressure and looked terrible. He had something like -17 passing yards in the first half. When pressured, he would throw the ball to the nearest non-lineman whether that guy was open or not. Half the time, the receiver or RB got killed 3 nanoseconds after making the catch.

And the Do-Or-Die pass on 4th down @ the end of the game was laughable. Why throw to a guy who is 5 yards short of the 1st down marker? :facepalm:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
DarkHorse30
Smith Rules

Adopt-a-Bronco:
wolf pot roast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
The Bengals and Vikings looked completely inept today.

The Vikings, I'll give 'em a break because Ponder didn't start. But even so, I expected more out of Peterson.
How about more out of Musgrave, his OC? All they had to do to shorten that game was run the ball, whether with Webb or AP....not terribly complicated game plan because that is ALL you can do. Green Bay had 8 in the box regardless....so what is the point of trying to "fool" the Dline that Webb could actually throw? Laughably, the Vikings were still in this game going into the 4th quarter......Green Bay should thank their lucky stars that Minnesota had no gameplan whatsoever.
DarkHorse30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I thought the Viking defense put in a hell of a performance to keep the game within reach. A huge turning point was that bone head call for 12 men on the field that GB took advantage and got the TD out of it.

Minnesota looked good on the first drive, running AP and Webb. Should have just kept that up until GB stopped it. It really seemed the Viking WR's were overmatched today which didn't help things at all for them.

The Bengals, yeah well, what a let down. I really thought Dalton and Co. would come to play. Oh well.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
Armchair Bronco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I thought the Viking defense put in a hell of a performance to keep the game within reach. A huge turning point was that bone head call for 12 men on the field that GB took advantage and got the TD out of it.
Yep, that coaching breakdown put the game out of reach. How in the hell can you have 12 men on the field for a field goal attempt? I couldn't believe it.

Neither the Vikings nor the Bengals deserved to win...although both teams were in a position to pull off an upset for a good part of the game.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #5
Wes Mantooth
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
How about more out of Musgrave, his OC? All they had to do to shorten that game was run the ball, whether with Webb or AP....not terribly complicated game plan because that is ALL you can do. Green Bay had 8 in the box regardless....so what is the point of trying to "fool" the Dline that Webb could actually throw? Laughably, the Vikings were still in this game going into the 4th quarter......Green Bay should thank their lucky stars that Minnesota had no gameplan whatsoever.
Musgrave sucks in Green Bay. Remember that 42 point beating we took in 96'? Thanks again Bill
Wes Mantooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse30 View Post
It seemed to me Webb did the exact opposite of what he should have done almost every play. He drops back to pass everyone is covered has 10-15 yards open in front of him he throws it. Has a guy open and would either hold the ball forever or not throw it and try to run.. It was aggravating to watch I finally turned it off.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM   #7
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The two games today show exactly why they SHOULD NOT expand the playoff field. I had high hopes for both games but were brutally let down. Hoping that the Seattle/Washington game isn't a total snoozer. I don't have much hope for Indy/Baltimore. Pretty sure it's going to be boring.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #8
Armchair Bronco

Yeah, I gave up on both games by halftime. Neither game was worth watching, let alone worth watching again.

I live in Seattle and will be cheering on my #2 team, the Hawks! I think tomorrow's game should be awesome. And probably worth watching again.

The Hawks are a more solid, all-around team. Their defense is ruthless, and with Russell Wilson, the Skins will get a taste of their own medicine. And any fan from Denver knows that Shannyham will have at least 1 or 2 "head-scratching" moments or playcalls in this game, like calling for a run on 3rd and 16. In any event, I hope this Hawks/Skins game makes up for today's dual snooze-fests, 'cause those games were a waste of my Saturday.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #9
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

During one of the plays where Webb was about to be sacked, he ended up throwing the ball straight up in the air, and anyone could have come down with it. That was a WTF moment...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
The two games today show exactly why they SHOULD NOT expand the playoff field. I had high hopes for both games but were brutally let down. Hoping that the Seattle/Washington game isn't a total snoozer. I don't have much hope for Indy/Baltimore. Pretty sure it's going to be boring.
If the playoff field was expanded to 14 teams, the Giants and Steelers would be in. I think that would actually improve some of the play we saw.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

vikings special teams screwed them hardcore. remember, most teams without their starting QB are nothing, even if it is a guy who struggled this year. but their ST lost a punt, turned a FG into a TD etc. took a game that was near impossible to impossible.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Musgrave sucks in Green Bay. Remember that 42 point beating we took in 96'? Thanks again Bill
Musgrave was still our QB in 96 as a backup. His last game was against SD as we pulled Elway out after the 1st quarter and then Musgrave ended his career with a Seau monster sack. We then blew it 2 weeks later against the Jags.

What 42 points are you speaking of btw?
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armchair Bronco View Post
Yeah, I gave up on both games by halftime. Neither game was worth watching, let alone worth watching again.

I live in Seattle and will be cheering on my #2 team, the Hawks! I think tomorrow's game should be awesome. And probably worth watching again.

Look, when you have a 2nd team that is local,ok I guess to support them. But for God Sakes man, you don't need to put an exclamation point to it like they are the ****. You make it like they are equal or better. Even so, would we give a **** about them being your second team? NO!! "The Hawks!" like they are the ****z and we need to have you acknowledge it.

In conclusion, keep it on the downlow...or is it the lowdown? Whatever it is, it is Phat. You know, Lil' Kim Phat.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM   #14
Armchair Bronco

Hey, I've been dreaming of a Denver vs. Seattle matchup for decades, and this year it looks like it could happen! It's a once-in-a-lifetime alignment of the stars!

I think a Denver / Seattle Super Bowl would go into overtime. It would be one of the classic, all-time great Super Bowls ever!

And thank the Gods that we won't have to watch Cincinatti vs. Minnesota.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #15
KipCorrington25
Free Safety

Green Bay got a undeserved bye today, I guess that makes up for the Seattle games.

That Joe whoever was QB tonight made Tebow look like Manning.
KipCorrington25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:33 AM   #16
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
Musgrave and a bunch of stiffs went up against the '96 SB champs in GB......the Broncos rested their starters. Game had no impact on playoffs. Not a big deal in my opinion...
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Musgrave was still our QB in 96 as a backup. His last game was against SD as we pulled Elway out after the 1st quarter and then Musgrave ended his career with a Seau monster sack. We then blew it 2 weeks later against the Jags.

What 42 points are you speaking of btw?
Bill Musgrave was QB vs. GB in one of the last games of '96 season...after we had playoffs and HFA wrapped up....Broncos lost to eventual SB champs 41-6 on the road
Old 01-06-2013, 12:45 AM   #18
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBroncosJM View Post
It seemed to me Webb did the exact opposite of what he should have done almost every play. He drops back to pass everyone is covered has 10-15 yards open in front of him he throws it. Has a guy open and would either hold the ball forever or not throw it and try to run.. It was aggravating to watch I finally turned it off.
Yeah...betcha you wondered "Damn...this looks familiar. Where have I seen this kind of QB play before?"
Old 01-06-2013, 12:50 AM   #19
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
If the playoff field was expanded to 14 teams, the Giants and Steelers would be in. I think that would actually improve some of the play we saw.
Why would either of those teams be fun to watch? You get a pretty good measure of a team after 16 games. They aren't very good, neither better than Cincy or NYG.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:52 AM   #20
bpc

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

I'll never get having a 2nd team. I won't rip people that do it, but it's like saying you are committed to a wife but hold a mistress on the side... You don't really love the wife!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #21
No1BroncoFan
Old School

If you have to ask, you don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
I'll never get having a 2nd team. I won't rip people that do it, but it's like saying you are committed to a wife but hold a mistress on the side... You don't really love the wife!
Especially a team that used to be a division rival!
No1BroncoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #22
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
During one of the plays where Webb was about to be sacked, he ended up throwing the ball straight up in the air, and anyone could have come down with it. That was a WTF moment...
Especially because it was already 3rd down, and they had nothing to gain from that. Take the sack and punt.

Although, I don't blame Webb at all. The guy took something like 3 snaps all year and then about 3 hours before kickoff, you get the nod that you'll be starting the playoff game. Not a fair situation in which to really judge him.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
bronco610
OLD FART

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Woodyard

cincy gave up on the run or just wasnt part of their game plan or I think they would of been just fine. Idiot coaching.
bronco610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

How do you not target AJ Green about 18 times or so. Dalton missed AJ in the end zone but they were basically one AJ play away from a lead

zero first half targets.

Not a good game plan from an OC who wants a HC interview
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
Didn't Cutler do very similar in his first game (Seattle, was it?) after he took over for Plummer? I saw that and instantly flashed back to that game but I can't remember if it was the exact same scenario.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote