The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin
Default Would this team beat the 97 or 98 Broncos?

What's that? Heresy you say? A fun question, I say. Fun, even if it's tough to consider given the changes in today's game.

I know that in both years pass D was our weakness so Peyton would really be able to take his shots, even with Atwater bearing down on DT. I have little doubt that Romo would chew Knowshon's foot off and spit out the shoe. Our D versus TD and John? I honestly don't know the answer.

Curious to hear what you guys think.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Those teams had a dominating run game that couldn't be stopped by anyone. I'd take those teams by 10 points.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:13 AM   #3
dictionary

Yer drunk. Go home.

oh wait. that is me. That said, I dont think this is a valid question until the finish line, man.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
Mr Chatterboodamn
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cory Boyd

It's a different sport now so it's hard to compare.

"I'm a white personI'm a black person" -- Howard Griffith, 1996
Mr Chatterboodamn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 AM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

No. No way. Not yet. Maybe eventually. But not yet.

The '97 team was tempered by the Jacksonville loss. When they got into the playoffs, they were going to win at all costs. The '98 team had swagger like I've never seen a team have swagger, and that includes every team ever since. They were sitting Terrell Davis at half time to save his legs - and that was in the middle of a 2000 yard season.

I love the team we have right now, but they haven't been tested yet. This is a great topic for the podcast this next week.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 AM   #6
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

No way, 98 could run against anybody anywhere anytime.

No d-line could stop it.

We are nowhere that dominant right now.....................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:23 AM   #7
i4jelway7
Ring of Famer

loves haters & trolls

http://www.whatifsports.com/nfl/
i4jelway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'd like to see Knowshon Moreno up against Steve Atwater and Bill Romanowski.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'd like to see Knowshon Moreno up against Steve Atwater and Bill Romanowski.
Some of the hits those guys brought... would result in fines, if not multi-game suspensions today.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #10
Bacchus

Terrell Davis and Denver's OL on the '98 team would be too tough.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:02 AM   #11
Agamemnon

This team is just about as dominant as the '98 team in terms of regular season play. Whether or not it matches that team in the playoffs remains to be seen. The people saying it wouldn't even be close are either overestimating those teams or underestimating this one.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by i4jelway7 View Post
According to this site 2012 team wins almost under any situation.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:52 AM   #13
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't see how anyone poses this question, even in fun.

The '98 team was one of the best teams ever in the NFL. They were absolutely dominant. It's shortsided Denver fans that are trying to relate this year's team to either the '97 or '98 team.

If the current team is able to win at least back to back SB titles, then we can talk. Although without the dominant running game provided by the 97/98 elite OL and TD, I'm not sure there is much of an argument to be had. The current team obviously has a better defense, but they can't compare offensively.

I'd love to continue this conversation though, after winning a couple more titles.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:53 AM   #14
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater His Ass View Post
I don't see how anyone poses this question, even in fun.

The '98 team was one of the best teams ever in the NFL. They were absolutely dominant. It's shortsided Denver fans that are trying to relate this year's team to either the '97 or '98 team.

If the current team is able to win at least back to back SB titles, then we can talk. Although without the dominant running game provided by the 97/98 elite OL and TD, I'm not sure there is much of an argument to be had. The current team obviously has a better defense, but they can't compare offensively.

I'd love to continue this conversation though, after winning a couple more titles.
The NFL is much different these days. You do not need a dominant running game.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:03 AM   #15
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

Every part of our team, save the run game, is improved. Passing, defense, and ST are all superior today.

Coaching was better then. Those teams always seemed to get up on people early with fast starts based off Mikes first 15. This team usually takes a quarter or two to get things rolling.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #16
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
According to this site 2012 team wins almost under any situation.
Funny, first time I ran it, 31-24 to the 1998 team.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #17
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictionary View Post
Yer drunk. Go home.

oh wait. that is me. That said, I dont think this is a valid question until the finish line, man.
This. I'm not ready to make those comparisons.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #18
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

It depends what kind of criteria you use for comparison. If you gathered up the ‘98 team, stuck them in a time machine, and brought them forward to play under the current ruleset, I think they’d have a hard time compiling a winning record. And the same thing goes for any other championship team from more than ten years ago. Decade by decade, players get bigger, faster and stronger. Add in the rules changes that prohibit downfield contact on receivers, protection of pocket passers, etc., and it gets even worse.
The only fair comparison would be relativistic. How dominant was the '98 team versus the competition at the time versus the 2012-13 team against its present competition? And in that regard, the ‘98 team wins, at least at the moment, because the current version still has so much to prove.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #19
sgbfan
Ring of Famer

I don't know who would win, but it sure as heck would be fun to watch!
sgbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #20
jutang
Perennial Pro-bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
The NFL is much different these days. You do not need a dominant running game.
Both teams are built well for their respective eras. Given the rule changes both teams would struggle if forced to play their opponents rules. Atwater would have gotten kicked out by the 2nd quarter and Dt/Decker would not get to run as freely as they do now.
jutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
MrPeepers
Ring of Famer

Remember Darrent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoDarin View Post
Funny, first time I ran it, 31-24 to the 1998 team.
me too 3-2 thru 5 games, TD MVP of game each time.
MrPeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 AM   #22
lookin' glass
Pro Bowler

Which team would you root for?
lookin' glass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #23
mustangtoby

I just watched SB 32 the other day, and I had forgot how dominant that team was. Not just good, but dominant. When John wanted to throw, he had Sharpe and Rod Smith and Eddie Mac. When he handed TD the ball, you never knew if it was only a 6 yd carry or if he would break a big one. The following year they were even better and so was the D... I personally think those teams would spank this one, and I love this team!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #24
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
It depends what kind of criteria you use for comparison. If you gathered up the ‘98 team, stuck them in a time machine, and brought them forward to play under the current ruleset, I think they’d have a hard time compiling a winning record. And the same thing goes for any other championship team from more than ten years ago. Decade by decade, players get bigger, faster and stronger. Add in the rules changes that prohibit downfield contact on receivers, protection of pocket passers, etc., and it gets even worse.
The only fair comparison would be relativistic. How dominant was the '98 team versus the competition at the time versus the 2012-13 team against its present competition? And in that regard, the ‘98 team wins, at least at the moment, because the current version still has so much to prove.
I don't agree with that. I think that '98 team would dominate today's NFL. Because of the offense. They would still be able to put up a bunch of points at will.

The defensive line was also pretty damn good, especially the 98, with Neil Smith, Alfred Williams, Trevor Pryce in his second year, and Kieth Traylor with Teerlink coaching em up. Linebackers were OK, Allen Aldridge wasn't a worldbeater, but Romo and Mobley were pretty good. And I would take a secondary of Crockett, Atwater, Chicken, and even though he drove me nuts, Gordon.

You take that team and put them here today, I think they're just fine. The defense was good because our offense always put so much pressure on the opposing offense to score every possession. Man what a fun time that was. This is a real fun time too.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #25
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookin' glass View Post
Which team would you root for?
Those teams have always been, and always will be, my favorites of all time. Nothing beats your first time winning it all. Then the next year pissing all over your critics who said it was a fluke's cornflakes by just completely dominating the league.

However, the one thing that kind of pisses me off is that we never got to play the '99 Rams or the 2000 Ravens. That would have been so much fun.