The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default Mock You! Req's Post-Bowl Broncos Draft for 2013.

Zero ****s will be given for the National Championship game, so it has begun. I know some people will probably question some of the value here, but keep in mind that grades on players are going to be pretty fluid over the next several months. I hope you enjoy this. I will try and add YouTube videos later for some highlights.

MOCK YOU MOCK YOU MOCK YOU

(1) Kevin Minter, ILB -- LSU

Minter really came into his own this year for the Tigers and posted tremendous numbers with 130 tackles, 15 for loss, several sacks and made plays in coverage with 5 PBU and an interception. With T'eo and Ogletree likely going higher, Minter is the next best option on the interior. I really hope he is there at the end of round one, but I have a feeling he could get snatched before that.

I think it has gotten to the point in time where we can't count on Mays as the future and Keith Brooking discovering the fountain of youth ain't gonna happen. That being said, ILB has to be the biggest name on this team. Anyone who watched LSU this year can clearly see that Minter has a very high ceiling and his best football is still yet to come. We can only hope we could strike Al Wilson-esque gold with a selection like this late in the first round.

(2) Shariff Floyd, DT -- Florida

Shariff is a guy that has the ability to go towards the top of round two, but I think that there will be a congestion of value at there that could push him to our potential selecting spot in round two. Floyd has been a versatile player and really shined under Muschamp kicking him back inside as a senior, after spending his junior year setting the edge on the outside because the Gators lacked any presence there at all.

He is extremely athletic, but strong at the POA and can hold his own over the nose in the NFL. I think he also offers more of a pass rush on the interior in comparison to Vickerson, Bannan and Unrein. Considering the contract status of those guys, you would have to think that we would take a DT. I've been praying for a legit DT for about a decade now. His flexibility reminds me of why we selected Derek Wolfe, but undoubtedly Floyd is best suited at DT in the NFL.

(3) Markus Wheaton, WR -- Oregon State

Markus has been an impressive cog for the Beavers offense the past two seasons putting up tremendous numbers. I think he has big-play (getting deep) potential and would be a tremendous option in our offense considering the age of Stokes, and the sheer fact that Caldwell and Willis can be replaced. I know some people have advocated Williams or Austin in the first round, but I think that is nonsense considering there are going to be guys that could be selected a round or two later who can have similar impact.

Wheaton being there at the end of the third may be a bit of a stretch, but with the underclassmen declarations, it is likely he won't be vying for a top tier selection in this draft. He has been invited to Mobile for Senior Bowl week and will have a chance to impress teams with a good showing there. I've seen him rated anywhere from ~ 40 to ~ 120, so for right now I think this is a pretty fair slot. On a personal level -- If he lives up to potential, he could be another Mike Wallace. Low-end comparison would be Devery Henderson in his best years.

(4) Justin Pugh, OT -- Syracuse

Developmental LT prospect who has the ability to kick inside as well. Jack of all trades guy, who doesn't necessarily wow you with his play on the field, but on the technical side just seems to get things done in both the pass and run game. Insurance with the Ryan Clady situation and the fact that Chris Clark is our back-up tackle.

(5) D.J. Swearinger, S -- South Carolina

Swearinger played FS for the Gamecocks, but has the flexibility to play either back-end position in the NFL. He has been a full-time starter the past two years in South Carolina, but didn't make a big jump as a senior and actually posted worse numbers than last season. I don't think he will ever be a starter in the NFL, but would be a good back-up to Moore if anything were to happen to him down the road. I mocked us this selection because I have no idea what is going on with Bruton, Carter, Adams and Leonhard long-term. Outside Carter, I think they may all be in the final year of their deals.

(6) Conditional selection traded to Eagles for Bunkley

(7) Dustin Hopkins, K -- Florida State
Obligatory Seminoles selection because I can't honestly think of anyone else at 9 AM. Prater might need a drinking buddy after his misses this year.

"**** it, it's a ****in' field goal!"

Last edited by Requiem; 01-07-2013 at 08:20 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2013, 08:19 AM   #2
g6matty

idk bro good mock but it seems unrealistic . lot of these guys will be gone one or two rounds higher then you have them selected ...
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
Originally Posted by g6matty View Post
idk bro good mock but it seems unrealistic . lot of these guys will be gone one or two rounds higher then you have them selected ...
Floyd probably goes Top 50 and Wheaton is probably a mortal lock for Top 75 when it is all said and done, but Markus could **** the bed during workouts and Senior Bowl week and have his stock drop. As I said, I think a lot of things are fluid right now considering none of these workouts have even happened.

I still have trouble projecting Wheaton (regardless) based on the juniors and other guys coming out. Here are at least 7 other guys who could/will go before him:
  • Keenan Allen
  • Robert Woods
  • Tayvon Auston
  • Terrence Williams
  • Justin Hunter
  • DeAndre Hopkins
  • Cord Patterson
  • Stedman Bailey
  • Quinton Patton

I consider Wheaton to be a guy who is probably in the same range as the last five listed. Other than that, I think the value is dead on. Pugh and Swearinger are definitely in that area. And FWIW, it is pretty much a pisser after Round 3 anyways. I watch a lot of college ball and some of the names that come off in the early 100s are like, "Who the **** is this guy from Didley Doo Community College?"

Last edited by Requiem; 01-07-2013 at 08:28 AM..
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:31 AM   #4
g6matty

i like the positions selected any ways. everyone knows my love for alec ogletree but minters ok i guess. i dont like LSU guys i think they excell with top talen around them but when they go to the NFL and have to be 'that guy' i dont think they step up to it.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Looks good to me. Only pick that is obviously out of whack projection-wise (in my opinion at least) is Swearinger, whom should go in the 3rd. Everything else looks realistic.

I think Minter is officially our board binky. Everybody either likes him in Round 1 or would be ok with his selection.

I'm not sure Floyd is what we want in our DTs, as he's a lighter, penetration based guy. Good player though.

Wheaton makes a ton of sense in the 3rd. Decker's future would be in the slot then.

I like Pugh. Should be a solid swing tackle.

Swearinger should go a lot higher, he's pretty good. I do agree that SS is a draft need, but the talent dissipates quickly after about Round 3. Like you mentioned, we'll know after the Free Agent period how important getting another Safety is for us.

I thought it was a good mock overall. I'd be happy with that draft.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Bmore Manning

I hope Minter is there at 32. It's funny how a few weeks ago I mocked him to us in the second round, this was assuming Mosely was coming out and some of the other top prospects who have since went back to school.

I like much of the positions you drafted, but we all have our preferences on prospects and where they will fall. I really like the Minter and Wheaton selections.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: