The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Derek Wolfe compared against his peers. Alliance unite!

Derek Wolfe finished his rookie season with 26 tackles, 14 assited for 40 total. 6 sacks and 2 passes defensed.

Here is how he compared to his peers who played on the defensive line. I will include both DE's and DT's since Wolfe plays both ways. There may be some D-linemen that play linebacker listed, so I used my criterion as D-linemen as they were in the combine.

Note: I will only list the defensive linemen drafted in last years' class that made a significant contribution on their teams. This means more than a few starts on special teams. If players didn't play or only played spot duty, they will not be listed here.

Dontari Poe - 38 tackles, lol round 1 (pick 11)
Fletcher cox - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 12)
michael brockers - 31 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 14)
Bruce Irvin - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 FF, round 1 (pick 15)
Quinton Coples - 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 16)
Shea McClellin - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 19)
Chandler Jones - 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, round 1 (pick 21)
Andre Branch - 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, round 2
Kendall Reyes - 28 tackles, 5.5 sacks round 2
Jerel Worthy - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, round 2
Devon Still - 14 tackles, .5 sacks 1 forced fumble, round 2
Olivier Vernon - 31 tackles, 3.5 sacks 1 ff, round 3
Mike Martin - 37 tackles, 3 sacks, round 3
John Hughes - 34 tackles 3 sacks, round 3
Akiem Hicks - 20 tackles, 1 forced fumble round 3
Frank Alexander - 18 tackles 2.5 sacks round 4
Jared Crick - 19 tackles round 4
Mike Daniels - 12 tackles 2 sacks round 4
Billy Winn - 26 tk 1 sack 1 int round 6
Greg Scruggs - 6 tackles 2 sacks round 7

Wolfe tied for second with all rookies in his class with 6 sacks. He also was second in rookie D-linemen for tackles.

Not bad for a white kid who looks like he sells Meth, huh Req?

Side note, the Seahawks really did well this draft. They were mocked for drafting Irvin, and look at how they are squeezing 2 sacks out of Scruggs at the end of the draft.

Last edited by Kaylore; 01-02-2013 at 09:30 AM..
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Derek Wolfe finished his rookie season with 26 tackles, 14 assited for 40 total. 6 sacks and 2 passes defensed.

Here is how he compared to his peers who played on the defensive line. I will include both DE's and DT's since Wolfe plays both ways. There may be some D-linemen that play linebacker listed, so I used my criterion as D-linemen as they were in the combine.

Note: I will only list the defensive linemen drafted in last years' class that made a significant contribution on their teams. This means more than a few starts on special teams. If players didn't play or only played spot duty, they will not be listed here.

Dontari Poe - 38 tackles, lol round 1 (pick 11)
Fletcher cox - 39 tackles, 5.5 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 12)
michael brockers - 31 tackles, 4 sacks, 1 ff, round 1 (pick 14)
Bruce Irvin - 17 tackles, 8 sacks, 1 FF, round 1 (pick 15)
Quinton Coples - 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 16)
Shea McClellin - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, round 1 (pick 19)
Chandler Jones - 45 tackles, 6 sacks, 3 FF, round 1 (pick 21)
Andre Branch - 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 FF, round 2
Kendall Reyes - 28 tackles, 5.5 sacks round 2
Jerel Worthy - 14 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble, round 2
Devon Still - 14 tackles, .5 sacks 1 forced fumble, round 2
Olivier Vernon - 31 tackles, 3.5 sacks 1 ff, round 3
Mike Martin - 37 tackles, 3 sacks, round 3
John Hughes - 34 tackles 3 sacks, round 3
Akiem Hicks - 20 tackles, 1 forced fumble round 3
Frank Alexander - 18 tackles 2.5 sacks round 4
Jared Crick - 19 tackles round 4
Mike Daniels - 12 tackles 2 sacks round 4
Billy Winn - 26 tk 1 sack 1 int round 6
Greg Scruggs - 6 tackles 2 sacks round 7

Wolfe tied for second with all rookies in his class with 6 sacks. He also lead all rookie D-linement in tackles.

Not bad for a white kid who looks like he sells Meth, huh Req?

Side note, the Seahawks really did well this draft. They were mocked for drafting Irvin, and look at how they are squeezing 2 sacks out of Scruggs at the end of the draft.
Actually, he was second in tackles to Chandler Jones whom he also tied for the sacks lead. Who drafted Jones again in the OM draft Oh yeah, that was me!

Overall, Wolfe made an impact in his rookie season and improved dramatically down the stretch as most rookies fade. I am very happy with his first year performance and most definitely his upside. He looks to be as good as advertised and much better than his draft position indicated....
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

6 sacks for a rookie lineman is really good. I wonder what his secret is...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Drunken.Broncoholic

Price thought crick would do better than Wolfe...
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #5
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediator12 View Post
Actually, he was second in tackles to Chandler Jones whom he also tied for the sacks lead.
I have made the correction! Still pretty good!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Wolfe was actually 2nd in tackles (to Jones) Kaylore...

Derek Wolfe was nothing short of spectacular this year. He would have had a couple more sacks if not for a Dumervil offsides, and Miller's insane speed. Wolfe was even able to overcome the 30-sack performance from the Miller/Dumervil combo to record a sack in 3 straight games to close out the season.

Early in the year, several posters brought Wolfe's speed and power into question, however the former lifting champion workaholic quickly silenced the critics, and by the end of the season was consistently collapsing the pocket, while also stopping the interior run game (almost unheard of from a rookie)...he did all this, while playing every position on the Defensive line.

None of the other rookie Defensive lineman come close to Wolfe in versatility, while Wolfe even outperformed even the marquis rookie DE's in rushing the passer, with all of his sacks coming from the DT position.

I wanted the Broncos to draft Wolfe, because I thought (before the season) that he could affect the game in a way that would help lead to the Broncos to the Superbowl. The dream is alive, as the Broncos enter the playoffs.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:35 AM   #7
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken.Broncoholic View Post
Price thought crick would do better than Wolfe...
You are wrong. I liked both players leading up to the combine, and heavily advocated for Wolfe in the month leading up to the draft.

I previously considered Crick for a 2nd round pick, but he dropped off my board, due to several of his measurables at the combine.

Wolfe was my dream pick, and we got him.

Check my posts.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-02-2013 at 09:38 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
I have made the correction! Still pretty good!
It's actually very good. He got much better as the season progressed and avoided the typical rookie injury games, unlike Chandler Jones who missed 2 and the majority of another. I am big time happy with his play this year, let alone compared to his peers where he definitely excelled. Should be on the all rookie team as a DT IMHO.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Drunken.Broncoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
You are wrong. I liked both players leading up to the combine, and heavily advocated for Wolfe in the month leading up to the draft.

Check my posts.
Ok maybe I got you confused with half the board that didnt want Wolfe. Still though, Crick?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Wolfe was 3rd in the league among 4-3 DTs in sacks behind Suh and Geno Atkins I believe.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

I previously considered Crick for a 2nd round pick, but he dropped off my board, due to several of his measurables at the combine.

Wolfe was my dream pick, and we got him.

Check my posts.
I checked your post and couldn't find anything at all on Crick. Did you erase the thread?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
6 sacks for a rookie lineman is really good. I wonder what his secret is...
It is impressive considering he didn't even play every down and in every situation. I would like to point out both Miller and Dumevil's sack totals went up from last year. Do you think Wolfe is selling sharing his "secret" with his teammates?

Quote:
It's actually very good. He got much better as the season progressed and avoided the typical rookie injury games, unlike Chandler Jones who missed 2 and the majority of another. I am big time happy with his play this year, let alone compared to his peers where he definitely excelled. Should be on the all rookie team as a DT IMHO.
No doubt. Jones has been great. If he hadn't missed time he would be even more productive.

I will point out that Wolfe has more solo tackles than Jones does (26 to 24). And this is on a defensive line that has played pretty well this season, so that is something right there!
Old 01-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Wolfe was actually 2nd in tackles (to Jones) Kaylore...

Derek Wolfe was nothing short of spectacular this year. He would have had a couple more sacks if not for a Dumervil offsides, and Miller's insane speed. Wolfe was even able to overcome the 30-sack performance from the Miller/Dumervil combo to record a sack in 3 straight games to close out the season.

Early in the year, several posters brought Wolfe's speed and power into question, however the former lifting champion workaholic quickly silenced the critics, and by the end of the season was consistently collapsing the pocket, while also stopping the interior run game (almost unheard of from a rookie)...he did all this, while playing every position on the Defensive line.

None of the other rookie Defensive lineman come close to Wolfe in versatility, while Wolfe even outperformed even the marquis rookie DE's in rushing the passer, with all of his sacks coming from the DT position.

I wanted the Broncos to draft Wolfe, because I thought (before the season) that he could affect the game in a way that would help lead to the Broncos to the Superbowl. The dream is alive, as the Broncos enter the playoffs.
Jones is actually just as versatile as Wolfe, and he can play DE/DT or in a 3-4 or 4-3. I really wanted him for DEN, but Wolfe has been a tremendous player as a rookie and is constantly improving.

He was by far a tremendous value pick that no one wanted to see or admit after the draft, because he was not a big name guy and they manipulated the board to get him when other big name guys were on peoples expectations list. Have to wait and see with rookies, but he had the right mentality to me coming out and I am very glad DEN got him and won on value to get him!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Jones is actually just as versatile as Wolfe, and he can play DE/DT or in a 3-4 or 4-3. I really wanted him for DEN, but Wolfe has been a tremendous player as a rookie and is constantly improving.

Jones cannot play DT effectively (and has not played at that position). He is too light (265 lbs.) and too weak (22 bench reps). Wolfe can, and that's exactly what the Broncos need.

I am happy that the Patriots will be starting Jones at RDE (the premier pass rushing position) for the next several years, because he does not have the skills to consistently rush the passer in the NFL. Long-armed NFL Tackles consistently stone-wall him. Jones doesn't have the moves, speed (4.87 forty), or strength to ever be great in the NFL. Not to mention the guy is injury prone. Jones has an inconsistent motor, and was sporadic in his ability to stop the run.

I don't think Jones is a bust, but I wouldn't want him playing on the Broncos. At RDE, you want a pass-rushing phenom in today's NFL. Jones is not that...not even close.

I think Wolfe can easily average 50 tackles and 7 sacks over his NFL career at DT. Those are elite numbers.

Jones didn't record a single sack in the last half of the season (similar to his college career). I think Jones can put up 60 tackles a year (if he stays healthy), but anything less than 8 sacks a year from the DE position is below average...and more indicative of a strongside LDE. There's a reason the Patriots finished at the bottom of the league in sacks, and they will continue to do so unless they acquire a good pass-rusher at RDE. Ninkovich had a better year than Jones, and Wilfork is still in his prime.

I would pick Wolfe over Jones any day of the week.

Last edited by pricejj; 01-02-2013 at 10:50 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
barryr
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I liked the pick of Wolfe and I liked Reyes even more and he was solid as a rookie too. I also stated back then that I preferred Cousins at QB over Osweiler and Cousins played very well when given a chance to play this year.
barryr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #16
FearLanier

Dontari Poe was the 4th best NT against the run this season according to Pro Football Focus.

Not bad for a rookie.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

The Bengals, Broncos, Patriots and Seahawks all had good luck with their D-linemen this year. All four are in the playoffs.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #18
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
Dontari Poe was the 4th best NT against the run this season according to Pro Football Focus.

Not bad for a rookie.
I still struggle with how those guys (PFF) grade plays and apply them, but that is not a bad thing at all. I admittedly hate watching too much of the chiefs games this year to agree or not. Not enough time anymore...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #19
Bmore Manning

Quote:
The Bengals, Broncos, Patriots and Seahawks all had good luck with their D-linemen this year. All four are in the playoffs.
The Bengals and Seahwaks continue to draft for their DLine each year despite how strong both units are.

The Bengals drafted Devon Still and Brandon Thompson, and they already have Adkins, Peko, and Sims in the rotation.

I'm hoping we can draft to the strength of the draft (DL) this April, even though the unit played well..
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #20
Action

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryr View Post
I liked the pick of Wolfe and I liked Reyes even more and he was solid as a rookie too. I also stated back then that I preferred Cousins at QB over Osweiler and Cousins played very well when given a chance to play this year.
Cousins was further developed that Brock to considering he started for 3 years, stayed there for 4...

Oz only started a year in college and went to the NFL at 22.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
The Bengals and Seahwaks continue to draft for their DLine each year despite how strong both units are.

The Bengals drafted Devon Still and Brandon Thompson, and they already have Adkins, Peko, and Sims in the rotation.

I'm hoping we can draft to the strength of the draft (DL) this April, even though the unit played well..
This EXACTLY why you go BPA in a draft and do not draft for need.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Jones cannot play DT effectively (and has not played at that position). He is too light (265 lbs.) and too weak (22 bench reps). Wolfe can, and that's exactly what the Broncos need.

I am happy that the Patriots will be starting Jones at RDE (the premier pass rushing position) for the next several years, because he does not have the skills to consistently rush the passer in the NFL. Long-armed NFL Tackles consistently stone-wall him. Jones doesn't have the moves, speed (4.87 forty), or strength to ever be great in the NFL. Not to mention the guy is injury prone. Jones has an inconsistent motor, and was sporadic in his ability to stop the run.

I don't think Jones is a bust, but I wouldn't want him playing on the Broncos. At RDE, you want a pass-rushing phenom in today's NFL. Jones is not that...not even close.

I think Wolfe can easily average 50 tackles and 7 sacks over his NFL career at DT. Those are elite numbers.

Jones didn't record a single sack in the last half of the season (similar to his college career). I think Jones can put up 60 tackles a year (if he stays healthy), but anything less than 8 sacks a year from the DE position is below average...and more indicative of a strongside LDE. There's a reason the Patriots finished at the bottom of the league in sacks, and they will continue to do so unless they acquire a good pass-rusher at RDE. Ninkovich had a better year than Jones, and Wilfork is still in his prime.

I would pick Wolfe over Jones any day of the week.
I think you are pidgeon holing Jones and not seeing his versatility at all. He plays the Richard Seymour Role in NE and plays all along their fronts and inside to rush the passer in the nickle occasionally. He can also play 3-4 DE or 4-3 DE.

Is he a world beater right out of the box like Von was last year, no. But he has tremendous upside and I question your sporadic run defense and inconsistent Motor comments. Belichick would not tolerate, draft, or start such a player on his defense. If anything, he got schooled for being a rookie occasionally just like Wolfe did. Jones will be a standout player on that DL for years to come and I still wish DEN had drafted him.

Last edited by Mediator12; 01-02-2013 at 11:48 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #23
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

once Poe got his head out of his ass he was pretty good and starting playing like a solid pick. i think he will be fine in the future.

i wish we had been able to get Coples and Wolfe, that would have been excellent and secured the DL for many years.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #24
FearLanier

Bengals also got another good DL in Wallace Gilberry. He is a backup that has 6 sacks. I hated it that KC let this guy go.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #25
Action

Quote:
This EXACTLY why you go BPA in a draft and do not draft for need.
Not sure it's necessary BPA rather than just them putting high values on dlineman.

I mean, the dline is a common position to stack up on due to injuries and the fact you can easily rotate without missing a beat.

You won't see a team draft a QB or a TE or a safety because it's BPA and they have no chance to get any playing time.