The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Why the Broncos are peaking at the right time

"When John Fox hired Luke Richesson back in February, it was with an eye on this week.

Fox wanted the Broncos to be playing their best football of the regular season right here, right now. But the Broncos would have to reverse a trend to do that. They had lost their last four last year, and, before Foxs arrival, had lost six of their last seven in 2010 and eight of their last 10 in 2009.

How could Richesson stop the late season slides? By changing the way the Broncos trained"

"If the Broncos are an indicator of how this style of training impacts a team, expect others to follow their lead.

The Broncos appear to be peaking, having won 10 straight. Their starters have missed 60 games due to injuries, but if you take out the early season ending injuries of Jason Hunter, J.D. Walton and Ty Warren, starters have missed only 20 games with injuries. None of the injuries to starters were muscle pulls. Fullback Chris Gronkowski recently said this was the healthiest team he has been on.

I think our guys our fresh now, Fox said. I like where our team is...

Read more at:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...litz-1965.html
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 05:50 PM   #2
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

Haven't read the link yet, but really, didn't we have like 20 groin strains last year alone!
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

They may be healthy but how far can they push the sled?
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

14 in a row thats all I want for my POST X-mas gift..................lol
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

I pulled my groin reading this article.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I pulled my groin reading this article.

Quit it, I mean it you will jinx us.

I was afraid when Moreno came up gimpy the last game that was the deal.....................
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Very interesting article, thanks.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #8
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I "pulled my groin" reading this article.
fixed
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:28 AM   #9
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
Quit it, I mean it you will jinx us.

I was afraid when Moreno came up gimpy the last game that was the deal.....................
I pulled my article reading this groin?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
DenverBound
Thanks for the memories

This one's for Pat!

This is a testament to Bowlen's commitment to this team. I love that he just sold out and dropped $500,000 on an entire new training system. What an owner. Choke on that SoCal...
DenverBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:44 AM   #11
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You can do it, Broncos, because you're all winners. You haven't peaked. You haven't even begun to peak, but you're gonna peak this month. Oh, you're gonna peak all over everybody.

Last edited by myMind; 01-02-2013 at 03:50 AM..
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:38 AM   #12
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

would love to see what hes doing, that said...

"“When you lift you are tightening your muscles and losing flexibility."
Not true.

and..
Out went the old school racks, barbells and benches. In came pneumatic machines, cables, vibrating platforms and devices Arnold Schwarzenegger probably never would recognize.

that makes me go hmmm, i would be very interested to see what the program looks like.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #13
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hades View Post
Haven't read the link yet, but really, didn't we have like 20 groin strains last year alone!
No worry about groin strains. Per Elway they are doing dong extensions less:

"Were still dong some of that stuff, but not nearly to the extent we used to."
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #14
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Prior to the season, I remember people scratching heads, at this move. Bench presses are out? How ridiculous! I'm sure I was one of those people. It was another move, in a SERIES of brilliant moves, this year. That's why I'm HOPING this is our year. Signs SEEM to point in that direction. We'll see...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

You know, I have seen Peyton Manning do things this year with his legs and rolling out I have never seen him do before in INDY and I have seen every one of his games here. I attributed a lot of that to his neck rehab and trying to come back better than ever.

However, it looks like Luke Richesson has had a lot to do with Changing Manning as well. He does have much better core and flexibility movement this year and this new training regiment would certainly have helped with that. Especially no more "Victory Mondays" that Indy was always doing a having a lighter end of year schedule and also known for fading down the stretch and losing key players to injury.

As far as lifting and tightening muscles goes tsiguy, its the NFL style of lifting for bulk over strength that does that. Strength is not just a max, in football it is also endurance and applied form. Too many NFL programs produce players out of proportion and get the dreaded hamstring tears and arm muscle tears due to lack of flexibility. Bob Sanders was one poor culprit. He overlifted for years to compensate for his small stature and tore all kinds of soft tissue by being bulked up and inflexible. His last 2 season ending injuries were biceps tears where he could not straighten his arms completely. They got tangled making a tackle and he tore his biceps when they got caught under someone!

So, while not always true about lifting tightening your muscles, its certainly true with the way most NFL programs are still currently set up.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #16
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverBound View Post
This is a testament to Bowlen's commitment to this team. I love that he just sold out and dropped $500,000 on an entire new training system. What an owner. Choke on that SoCal...
Not so fast there. Word on the street is he picked it up at Aarons.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

I don't know why, but I always get paranoid when a team is on a long winning streak.

Don't get me wrong, if I am a seattle, skins or broncos fan I am extremely happy with these current winning streaks but that old adage that you start taking shortcuts when you go on long winning streaks is always in my head.

I hope the skins and broncos don't lose until they get a super bowl matchup but damn it's like pins and needles just thinking "how could the broncos possibly win 12 in a row to get to the SB or the redskins possibly win 10 in a row to get to SB?"
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
Drek
Ring of Famer

Been saying for years now that we needed to change how we went about physical conditioning. We finally do it and not only do we immediately stop seeing the plague of soft tissue injuries we had year after year before this, but our guys are actually strongest in late games and at home, another sign of superior conditioning.

Will this current approach give sustained results? We'll see, but for now it's clear we were behind the times and now it looks like we're ahead of the game, at least by a little bit. The fact of the matter is that there is no excuse for a team that trains at altitude to not be the best conditioned team in the league, nice to see Fox and co. are taking that seriously.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #19
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedskinBronco View Post
I don't know why, but I always get paranoid when a team is on a long winning streak.

Don't get me wrong, if I am a seattle, skins or broncos fan I am extremely happy with these current winning streaks but that old adage that you start taking shortcuts when you go on long winning streaks is always in my head.

I hope the skins and broncos don't lose until they get a super bowl matchup but damn it's like pins and needles just thinking "how could the broncos possibly win 12 in a row to get to the SB or the redskins possibly win 10 in a row to get to SB?"
I think the mantra now has to be 3 more. Forget about the past 11

I did some quick analysis. 21 teams since '96 finished 13-3
8 made the Super Bowl, 10 lost in the div round and 3 lost in the Champ round
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #20
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Good call Hulamau

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=105988
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #21
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I was going to start a thread on this but didn't want to jinx it.

Soft tissue injuries are way down this year from under Tuten. There is also far less late fatigue. Coincidence? Well considering we are setting historical marks for the second half of games, it might not be. Some of it is good adjusting, but consider how many times we've seen our players going ape**** late in games. Also consider we are historically a crappy team in December and this year we were perfect.

Luke Richesson's philosophy works. Players are healthier, have more endurance and are able to return to work in short order when they do get injured.

One more notch in the belt of Elway.

I often wonder how many of Shanny's teams would have done better if they weren't getting killed four weeks into the seasons. It seems like his old school approach produces a ton of injuries.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
BroncoBeavis

I still get a long-conditioned panicked feeling going into second halves of games, even though we normally go on to stomp the **** out of everyone late. I always attributed the late game/season bedwetting to Masterminding in the early part of the game/season, followed by adjustments from the other teams. But maybe there was something more to it.

I'm still not sure if that feeling will ever go away though.

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 01-02-2013 at 10:17 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 10:16 AM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

Soft tissue injuries are way down this year from under Tuten. There is also far less late fatigue. Coincidence? Well considering we are setting historical marks for the second half of games, it might not be. Some of it is good adjusting, but consider how many times we've seen our players going ape**** late in games. Also consider we are historically a crappy team in December and this year we were perfect.

Luke Richesson's philosophy works. Players are healthier, have more endurance and are able to return to work in short order when they do get injured.

I often wonder how many of Shanny's teams would have done better if they weren't getting killed four weeks into the seasons. It seems like his old school approach produces a ton of injuries.
what? Shanny rarely allowed contact in practice after Training camp was finished. He picked that up in San Fransisco
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #24
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post

The thing about Mike, is he was into way too many things in DEN. He hired the best he could back in 1995-6 to get Tuten and Greek. However, he never questioned if they were still at the top of their games in the 2000's. He was loyal to them and involved in so much he failed to assess if they were still the best 5, 10, 15 years later. He was not able to compare their performance to the team and what ailed them down those December stretches.

I hope he learns from that in DC. Obviously, the Skins have been on a roll and even losing RGIII for 2 games did not stop their winning streak! I know he still struggles with his staff hiring, but the FO stuff I have not had the time to research at all. I know Bruce Allen is still there which is a huge difference than in DEN.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:24 AM   #25
Mediator12
OM analyst

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
what? Shanny rarely allowed contact in practice after Training camp was finished. He picked that up in San Fransisco
Actually, he coddled the vets a little too much. The new regime took away "Victory Mondays" and replaced it with repair core work the day after a game to facilitate a quicker recovery and better long term health.

The old School method of strength and conditioning also made less flexible and less properly managed body structure. Combine those methods and you get muscle breakdown and stress that leads to injury and late season drop in performance.