The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #1
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis
Default Broncos block Chargers from talking with Russell

https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee/stat...66370008330241

"Chargers asked for permission to speak to Denver Broncos Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell about GM job. Broncos denied the request."

I've got mixed emotions about this -- if Russell wanted to interview for the job, then he should be allowed to (he's not a slave, after all).

On the other hand -- **** the Chargers.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

If Russell doesn't begrudge the move I am good with it.

So long as he is not upset about it; because you do not want an unhappy guy in your organization and creating issues.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
SpringStein
Ring of Famer

Slaves aren't usually under contract paying the amount of money Russell is getting.
I bet if it was Jax or a non AFC West rival, the Broncos would let him interview.
SpringStein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Bronco Yoda

Russell IS our slave. It says so in his contract that he signed in blood.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
R-Mac

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi

Quote:
Regarding the report out of San Diego on Matt Russell, the Broncos did NOT deny an interview. Russell's not interested in leaving Denver.
But... Brian Xanders is available.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Does Director of Player Personnel really matter, with Elway in charge?
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
I think it does -- Russell is very, very underrated by the OM and Broncos Nation, IMO.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Update from Broncotalk.com:

"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell, the team’s director of player personnel was not interested in talking to San Diego. Obviously, Russell likes the situation he has in Denver.

Since firing Brian Xanders, the Broncos have had Russell act as G.M., managing G.M. duties with the team’s ultimate personnel power belonging to executive John Elway. Because Russell, however, is officially a “director of player personnel,” teams have the ability to snatch him away from Denver because a G.M. job would be considered a promotion, even if that is Russell’s unofficial job in Denver.

This may prompt the Broncos to promote Russell to official G.M., eliminating the possibility of other teams making him their own. Otherwise, teams will keep calling and in the offseason, the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."

Good for Russell -- proud of him for also saying "**** you" to the Chargers.

Last edited by BowlenBall; 01-01-2013 at 10:53 AM..
Old 01-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #9
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowlenBall View Post
"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell

the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."
How do
'Ol Vic says we "won't be able to turn them away" after he makes the point that Russell wants to be in Denver.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #10
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Didn't Russell play for Colorado?
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

Quote:
Update from Broncotalk.com:

"Update: CBS4′s Vic Lombardi reports that the Broncos did not block the Chargers of talking to Russell, the team’s director of player personnel was not interested in talking to San Diego. Obviously, Russell likes the situation he has in Denver.

Since firing Brian Xanders, the Broncos have had Russell act as G.M., managing G.M. duties with the team’s ultimate personnel power belonging to executive John Elway. Because Russell, however, is officially a “director of player personnel,” teams have the ability to snatch him away from Denver because a G.M. job would be considered a promotion, even if that is Russell’s unofficial job in Denver.

This may prompt the Broncos to promote Russell to official G.M., eliminating the possibility of other teams making him their own. Otherwise, teams will keep calling and in the offseason, the Broncos won’t be able to turn them away."

Good for Russell -- proud of him for also saying "**** you" to the Chargers.
Make it happen Elway! That, or pay him like a GM. Either way, reward him for being loyal to the Broncos.

I am real comfortable with this FO. I would like to see as much continuity there as we all want to see in the coaching staff.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #12
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

I am officially starting the "Bring back the Mane Matt Russell" campaign.

DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Didn't Russell play for Colorado?
Yes, right at the end of the glory years. And he was a lot more than just another guy -- was the Butkus Award winner his senior season.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Matt Russell is a Buff. In other words, he's smart enough to know you don't want to work for Spanos.

(I wonder if he ever got the chance to bump into Slick Rick again and kick his ass?)

Last edited by Rohirrim; 01-01-2013 at 11:51 AM..
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
How do
'Ol Vic says we "won't be able to turn them away" after he makes the point that Russell wants to be in Denver.
Russell didnt have any interest in San Diego (i.e. the gig in Denver is better) but that may not be the case with every team that may call.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

im not sure if the "can interview for any promotion" rule applies to front office and GMs, just assistants who are applying to be the head coach...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #17
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
when they're as talented as Russell is, you're damn right it does.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #18
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Well OK!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #19
Boltjolt
Ring of Famer

Quote:
https://twitter.com/UTKevinAcee/stat...66370008330241

"Chargers asked for permission to speak to Denver Broncos Director of Player Personnel Matt Russell about GM job. Broncos denied the request."

I've got mixed emotions about this -- if Russell wanted to interview for the job, then he should be allowed to (he's not a slave, after all).

On the other hand -- **** the Chargers.
Russell said he didnt want to leave. Loves Colorado and loves working with Elway( i guess he played there in college too?)

No big deal, they have 5 others they will interview for the GM spot. Russell is probably not quite ready to be a GM now anyways. He just got that promotion this year. There are others who are qualified. Im just glad the Chargers arent promoting from within like they usually do and trying to find the best guy they can.

Last edited by Boltjolt; 01-01-2013 at 11:35 PM..
Boltjolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #20
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Quote:
I think it does -- Russell is very, very underrated by the OM and Broncos Nation, IMO.
Disagree. He's been praised by a lot of draft nerds on here. Drek has high praise for Russell.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:40 PM   #21
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltjolt View Post
Russell said he didnt want to leave. Loves Colorado and loves working with Elway( i guess he played there in college too?)

No big deal, they have 5 others they will interview for the GM spot. Russell is probably not quite ready to be a GM now anyways. He just got that promotion this year. There are others who are qualified. Im just glad the Chargers arent promoting from within like they usually do and trying to find the best guy they can.
Someone sounds jilted.

It's ok I didn't want you anyway.......even though I really wanted you.

Very few quality people will want to work for Spanos kid. The door has closed on you guys. You wasted Rivers prime and now he is just a pick machine with no weapons. Back to the basement.

Go Canes!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #22
24champ
Livin' the dream!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual

Didn't want to start a new thread but Norv had some parting shots.

Quote:
"Someone wrote a few weeks ago that this team is not that far away from the playoffs," Turner said. "I would disagree. I know the things that would have to get done for that to happen. If this team comes next year and they get some things done to help them get better and are able to make the playoffs, I would hope it would be a surprise to all the Chargers fans, and they would be excited about it.

"I would hope it would not be the expectation starting in August because I think you need to give whoever the guy who comes in here and the group he brings in some time to get back this thing back to where it was."

Norv said that he believed the Chargers to be the most talented team in the NFL his first three years there -- when the organization made the postseason every year -- and not so good in the final three.

"We've had too many changes," he said. "We've lost too many people."
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...6150--nfl.html
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #23
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Quote:

I'm not so sure about that. Who do you think is really running things there.

I think the Chargers were wise to ask for an interview. Nothing to lose if he says no.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #24
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Russell oversees all of the player evaluation operations. He's been overseeing our college scouting since he was hired in early '09. So he's basically responsible for the quality jump we saw from the '09 to the '10 draft classes, our evaluation of guys like Vickerson and Holiday from the waiver wire, and our decision to bring in Koppen and Brooking. Hell, do you really think Fox or Elway were the guys who found and identified Chris Harris sans-combine invite? No, that was Russell and his scouting department.

Quote:

Russell has as much pedigree as you could ask for in a player personnel guy. He spent all of this season as the guy putting together the actual execution of what Elway wants in theory. Before that he was the go to guy for a line of successful drafts. Before coming to Denver he was the national scout for Philly back when Philly actually drafted well. Same for when he worked as a scout in New England during their 2001-2005 peak.

This is why Russell isn't looking to leave. He's got the pedigree but he's also basically already got the job, just not the title. Maybe Elway and co. apply that title at the end of this season maybe they don't, but it's clear Russell is more concerned with his job than his title.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 AM   #25
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

It's ok for the Chargers to be looking ahead to 2013.... their season's over. But the Broncos (Russell) still have football to play and need to focus on that.
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote