The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 01:25 PM   #51
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
this latest star trek trailer looks like a Batman movie....
The poster does, too.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-2-into-darkness-poster/

But then again there is no more originality in Hollywood. http://www.dailyinspiration.nl/has-h...ts-creativity/
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So hungover right now. If I move my head an inch ill puke. If I speak I'll puke. Just thought I'd share.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:50 PM   #53
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
The poster does, too.

But then again there is no more originality in Hollywood. http://www.dailyinspiration.nl/has-h...ts-creativity/
I'm glad I'm not the only one
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #54
TerrElway
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
The poster does, too.

Originality requires taking risks. Risks can cost you money. We wouldn't want to do something new and risky and lose money because then we would lose our job etc. etc.

Just like in sports, it's safer to copy someone else's success than try to make your own!

We've seemingly become a society that is risk averse and failed risk gets punished severely enough to discourage it in most cases. At least institutionally. Large institutions got to where they are because somewhere along the line someone took a risk. Yet the larger and more successful the institution gets, the more risk averse it becomes. It's an interesting paradox.
TerrElway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #55
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I think you mean "The Final Frontier." Undiscovered country was the same director that did Wrath of Khan and had epic space battles in it.

The problems with I and V were both were bad movies that took themselves and the franchise way too seriously and had plot holes nebulous villains that didn't work. The Enterprise vs. a big cloud? God is actually an alien? A barrier at the end of the universe? Weird wormhole scene?

There were aspects that worked. I liked the humor in ST V and I think some of the elements in ST I felt like a Trek episode. But the other movies were just better movies.

ST fans like thoughtful stories. Look at the top episodes of all the series'. There are usually one or two more cerebral episodes right up there. The City on the Edge of forever is right there with balance of terror. Best of Both worlds and measuer of a Man. We like everything.
ST I was among the worst films in the history of film. It just went on and on with nothing of value happening. It was a relief when they finally found Voyager so that it would be over. Outside of the unveiling of the refurbished Enterprise and McCoys beard the film was trash. The uniforms were lame and virtually no one would get a boner from a bald chick.

ST V failed because Paramount went Bowlen. Shatner had plans for more action and they didn't want to pay for everything in the original script. Also it was thought Connery would be Sybok but they wouldn't pay for that either. Changing the bridge chairs from the end of ST IV was also a huge irritant.

SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #56
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
ST I was among the worst films in the history of film. It just went on and on with nothing of value happening. It was a relief when they finally found Voyager so that it would be over. Outside of the unveiling of the refurbished Enterprise and McCoys beard the film was trash. The uniforms were lame and virtually no one would get a boner from a bald chick.

ST V failed because Paramount went Bowlen. Shatner had plans for more action and they didn't want to pay for everything in the original script. Also it was thought Connery would be Sybok but they wouldn't pay for that either. Changing the bridge chairs from the end of ST IV was also a huge irritant.
and you wonder why you're in a dry spell......jeez, did you speak Klingon during the dates?

Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:05 PM   #57
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I love how McCoy's beard was a selling point for a film. Is that a knock on the film or praise for an admittedly epic beard?
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #58
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
I love how McCoy's beard was a selling point for a film. Is that a knock on the film or praise for an admittedly epic beard?
Both...that film was beyond awful.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #59
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
and you wonder why you're in a dry spell......jeez, did you speak Klingon during the dates?

Apparently, he does it on guys nights out too.

Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #60
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Both...that film was beyond awful.
There is a director's cut out there that is much better. It goes from an F to a D+. Totally serious.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #61
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedaykin View Post
Benedict Cumberbatch: Most "British" name ever!
Almost as "British" as Englebert Humperdinck.

DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #62
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

^^ For what it is worth, I miss Coupling on BBC America.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #63
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
I think that format works better in episode form on TV. As a movie, audiences are going to want more and that means more action. Even TOS movies were more heavy with action and less "thought provoking" than the episodes.
On average, the typical episode isn't particularly what I would call 'cerebral'. There are a few stand outs like the ones you mentioned, but they are not typical. There's episodes on the other end too.

However, the typical episode is a mix of thinkin' and fightin' with the emphasis more usually on the thinkin' end, much in the same vein as II, IV, abd VI.

It's the main problem with the TNG movies. They tried to turn Picard into an action hero, which is simply not what that character is about.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #64
DenverBrit
Just hanging out.

Got a breath mint??

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
^^ For what it is worth, I miss Coupling on BBC America.
Me too!! Great show.

The Melty Man!!

Last edited by DenverBrit; 01-02-2013 at 03:54 PM..
DenverBrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #65
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
I think that format works better in episode form on TV. As a movie, audiences are going to want more and that means more action. Even TOS movies were more heavy with action and less "thought provoking" than the episodes.
This is why in the movies they always come back to Earth, it always seems the Earth is in peril, in TOS they never went to earth of their current time. There is more drama if Earth is destroyed rather than some made up planet.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #66
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:

Kaylor is right, the Directors cut of STTMP is much better, it actually makes sense, and BTW one of my best friends in HS worked on the Directors cut and he is interviewed in the bonus content. I didn't like the movie until I saw the directors cut and then I got it. It is now the movie I wanted it to be when I saw it opening weekend as a kid. My friend Daren loved that one the most and it shows through in the directors cut.

There is no excuse for ST-V or Generations for that matter. I used to like VI a lot but it has not held up as well as II, IV and I (once you get over the bad uniforms and the fact you can see Deckers cock through them).

Rewatch the STTMP Directors cut and you will thank Kahn and I.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM   #67
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
This is why in the movies they always come back to Earth, it always seems the Earth is in peril, in TOS they never went to earth of their current time. There is more drama if Earth is destroyed rather than some made up planet.
This was my problem with the James Bond series. You don't need to threaten the entire earth to create drama. A great example is in the Walking dead. You just need to threaten the main characters, not the whole Earth every time.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #68
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

So I bought Mass Effect for the PS3. Its pretty sweet.

/Nerdcontribution.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #69
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Well Kaylore

Spoilers[ Looks like you might have to add Benedict Cumberbatch to your rotation. Was there ever in cinema history a reveal that was more clearly telegraphed? By the time he claims to be Khan, was there anyone in any theater that hadn't already realized who he really was.]

Last edited by v2micca; 05-18-2013 at 07:44 PM..
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #70
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Oh........yea

Just got back from the movie theater.

Fantastic movie

Lots of twists and plot references from the older Star Trek movies

Definitely a must see
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #71
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Exactly. As a writer, Abrams is pretty crappy. His characters are forgettable, his plot points are lazy and ill-thought out and that creates massive plot holes.
This is exactly what I thought when I watched Lost.

JJ isn't bad, but he's not amazing like people proclaim. I'll take Christopher Nolan over him every single time.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM   #72
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

I rewatched the real Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan tonight with my 10 year old daughter for the 1st time.

I totally loved how she ended up literally at the edge of her seat and was horrified when ***30 year old Spoiler Alert!**** Spock died. She admitted to me that she loved it. Now I have someone in the house to trade lines with who gets it. I tucked her in bed with the "I have been, and always will be...your friend" quote.

Nothing can top ST II.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 PM   #73
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
The new Star Trek is about being more original then other reboots. The new villian will not be Khan.
We bet a couple grand on this didn't we?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:56 PM   #74
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
I rewatched the real Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan tonight with my 10 year old daughter for the 1st time.

I totally loved how she ended up literally at the edge of her seat and was horrified when ***30 year old Spoiler Alert!**** Spock died. She admitted to me that she loved it. Now I have someone in the house to trade lines with who gets it. I tucked her in bed with the "I have been, and always will be...your friend" quote.

Nothing can top ST II.
I think I've watched STII prolly somewhere in the vicinity of 30 times. Yes it's a great film and to fully appreciate some of the stuff in this film obviously one would need to be familiar with STII and also the space seed episode. I enjoyed Into Darkness.....good action...maybe a little too much action and a bit too little sci-fi but I liked the ways they paid homage to STII....in their alternate universe way.

I'd give it a B+.

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 05-18-2013 at 10:34 PM..
Old 05-18-2013, 11:01 PM   #75
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

Quote:
I think I've watched STII prolly somewhere in the vicinity of 30 times. Yes it's a great film and to fully appreciate some of the stuff in this film obviously one would need to be familiar with STII and also the space seed episode. I enjoyed Into Darkness.....good action...maybe a little too much action and a bit too little sci-fi but I liked the ways they paid homage to STII....in their alternate universe way.

I'd give it a B+.
I will take her to see JJ's Reboot when it comes around to the Dollar theater in a month or less.

I just had a write up on my Friends Facebook thread about this:

I with Jeff Carlisle's last 2 posts. For me I convinced myself I was in love with TMP when it first came out because I was so glad to have ST back, I loved much of the original film, telling anyone who would hear, but secretly was disappointed in pacing and Shat's over the top anger and bitterness (as well as some wooden overacting). It wasn't until I saw the Directors cut when it truly flowed and was the work of art it was meant to be. I like Daren's point about TWOK being another episode, it is spot on but still my favorite movie. I pulled TWOK out and watched it with my 10 year old daughter tonight as my private act of rebellion against the opening of the latest JJ Reboot. Abby was on the edge of her seat, asking questions and even was as shocked as I was (the 1st time I saw it) at the end when ***Spoiler alert*** Spock died. Totally loved re-watching it through her eyes and seeing her react the same way I did when I was a kid. Sure TWOK doesn't have the cinematic beauty of TMP but writing/content wise with the many underlying themes, literary quotes, Moby Dick and Paradise Lost allusions (Khan), and smart action of the chess like move and counter move of the battle sequences it is my favorite Trek movie and one of my favorite movies of all time. Kirk doesn't make rash decisions hoping for the best, he and Spock make calculated moves based on experience. The drama of the Kobayashi Maru theme alone is brilliant, we all wonder what we would do in a no-win situation and throwing the quotes from the beginning and ending of Tale of Two Cities makes it that much more relatable, and HUMAN, what Trek really is about, the human condition. Beyond ST IV I think the human condition has been lost at least in the movie franchises and the last couple TV series. JJ doesn't get the drama of toy puppet who makes a wish and wants to become a real boy. Spielberg, got it in "Close Encounters", Kubrick, got it "AI". JJ does his best flim flam redirection to get you to think you are getting a good movie that is pretty, has lots of action (stuff got all blowed up real good and people ran around jumping off stuff and squeezing through things) yet is empty and meaningless at it's core, much like "Asteroid" or" Armageddon". After all of JJ's redirection and you expect to find Star Trek Into Darkness ball under the middle cup he turns that same middle cup over an it is empty, but hey for the few seconds everything was happening around you it was almost worth it but you tell your self you will never again try to beat a flim flam man on a street corner. Good night all!