The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #26
FearLanier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Poor chief fans. They are left with the dregs of a QB draft class and have re-imagined spread-offense QB's who can't read defenses into "start right now" prospects.
Look no further than Washington, Carolina, Seattle and San Franciso for prime examples of teams using variations of the spread offense. More and more NFL teams are using it. Those QB's are in the shotgun a lot.

Watch the Patriots. They have Brady lined up in shot gun using variations of it quite a bit. They even went to Chip Kelly to use some of his knowledge.

Even Peyton Manning has used variations of the spread offense dating back to when he was a Colt.

As for Geno, he can read defenses better than people think. Just because he struggled against Texas Tech and Kansas State doesn't mean he can't make reads or go through progressions. He's proven that he can go through his reads from what I've watched.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #27
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmeck View Post
BS on hit and miss Charles
This sentence is all anyone needs to know you're a dumbass.

1500 ****ing yards this year, dude.

#1 rushing average in NFL HISTORY.

2nd best back in the league, easy.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM   #28
spiralism

Nick Foles would go as the top QB in this draft. Cousins would definitely be a first rounder. Make no mistake, this is the weakest QB class in years, so i have to applaud KCs timing to be the ****test team in the NFL with serious problems at QB a season after what is already looking like one of the best QB classes there's ever been...that 7-9 record last year and Dontari Poe pick as a result definitely paid dividends! !
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 AM   #29
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

This isn't that weak of a QB class. People are only saying that because there's no Luck or RGIII, and Russell Wilson came out of NOWHERE.

Hindsight sure is 20/20, huh?

Fact is, Geno is about as good a prospect as Matt Ryan ever was, and certainly better than Joe Flacco. I can only imagine what you idiots would be saying if Geno had thrown 19 picks as a senior.

The 08 QB draft class was nothing special and there are two borderline franchise QBs out of that first round.

Tyler Wilson, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will all go in the first round this April. This is a pretty decent class compared to a lot of years.

It's certainly no JaMarcus Russell/Brady Quinn.

Last edited by Bob's your Information Minister; 12-24-2012 at 08:48 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #30
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

12 straight road division wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Chief fans are just happy to be trying to draft a QB to develop. They haven't done that in more than a decade. The problem is they are going to face the reality of how hard it is to find the right one - even when that prospect appears to be near perfect. They are staring at a class of projects and system QB's. Brock Osweiller would be a first round pick this year.

Instead they are clinging to annecdotes that never happen - like how Aaron Rogers fell in the draft, or how Tom Brady was a late round pick.

My advise to Chief fans is hope you get a GM that knows enough to get an offensive coach on your staff somewhere that can develop QB's and then don't expect too much too soon out of whoever your QB is. The odds of finding a franchise QB at all are miniscule. The odds of finding one in this draft class are smaller than normal.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

I agree that it is a crapshoot, but there's a lot to like about Geno Smith.

It's not like he has a questionable arm, or is inaccurate or has character risks.

He'll be playing behind a solid line with a great RB to lean on.

If he can adapt to the pro game he's going to be fine.

And you're right, we are happy just going out rolling the dice on a QB. That's how you win in this league. It's way past due.

If Geno busts, we'll try again in three years.

And so will you guys. Brock Osweiler isn't **** and you all know it.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:16 AM   #32
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
This isn't that weak of a QB class. People are only saying that because there's no Luck or RGIII, and Russell Wilson came out of NOWHERE.

Fact is, Geno is about as good a prospect as Matt Ryan ever was, and certainly better than Joe Flacco. I can only imagine what you idiots would be saying if Geno had thrown 19 picks as a senior.

The 08 QB draft class was nothing special and there are two borderline franchise QBs out of that first round.

Tyler Wilson, Geno Smith and Matt Barkley will all go in the first round this April. This is a pretty decent class compared to a lot of years.

It's the worst QB class is a while, easily years. Geno Smith doesn't check down from the pocket and fixates on his receiver. Analysts also always seem to question his ability to read defenses, and that's at the college level.

He's athletic and has a rocket arm, but boy, he would be a big, big risk as the #1 over-all draft pick. Wow.
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:44 AM   #33
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

He's exactly zero risk for a franchise like the Chiefs.

This is not a bad QB class at all. People are getting silly after Luck/RGIII happened.

Do you honestly think a guy like Joe Flacco even begins to compare to dudes like Geno, Barkley or Wilson as pro prospects? Flacco was a ****ing nobody, a late riser. Basically Mike Glennon is this year's Joe Flacco.

I mean ****, Ryan Tannehill is not better as a pro prospect than Geno or Wilson or Barkley. Not even close. He had barely one full year of starting experience and he went in the first round.

This is a fine QB class. Take off the hindsight glasses. What happened last year happens once every 10 years.

As QB classes go, this one looks OK. Now next year's QB class...that class is gonna be ****.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #34
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:

First, virtually everyone disagrees. It's not just comparitive. There are no standouts. a Freshman wont he Heisman trophy for crying out loud and a linebacker was in the running. What does that tell you?

No one REALLY knows, but history isn't on your side. Going back ten years, QB classes that produced starters went two years in a row, but one class had a few or maybe one good one and then the class before or after had a really strong class. Then there is a class where the cupboard is empty and it takes one more class to find some starters. Going by this pattern, you guys are due a really crappy class, and early prognosticators are looking at it like that is the going to be the case.

I'll only list the guys who started as a legit push from their teams to be starters.

Drunkenmiller, Plummer, Wuerffel - D-

Manning, Hasselbeck, Griese, Batch - B*

McNabb, Culpepper, Brooks C+

Pennington, Brady, Bulger B+

Vick, Brees, Tuiasosoppo. B

Carr, Harrington, Ramsey, McCown D

Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman, Simms C+

Manning, Rivers, Roethlisberger, Simms A-

Smith, Rogers, Campbell, Frye, Walter, Orton, Anderson, Cassel, Fitzpatrick A

Young, Leinart, Cutler, Whitehurst, Croyle, Gradkowski C-

Russel, Quinn, Kolb, Edwards, Thigpen F+

Ryan, Flacco, Henne C+

Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, Painter B

Bradford, Tebow, McCoy D+

Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick (McElroy too) A-

Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Wheedon, Wilson, Foles, Cousins A

It's obviously too early to say who will work out even from a year ago, but it would appear that the NFL is due a poor QB draft class.

You guys need to face the reality that just because you have the first pick and need a QB, that doesn't mean there's one ready for you worthy of a first overall pick.

The good news (or bad news depending) is many of those franchise QB's were found in later picks than first overall. The other good news is while it's near impossible to find a franchise guy, it is possible to find someone who can be at least decent.

And maybe we're all wrong. 2006 was supposed to be a great class and it sucked.

Unfortunately what ends up happening more often is the QB's that everyone thinks will be good actually aren't. It's rare that there is someone from a weak class that turns out to be a gem.

Last edited by Kaylore; 12-24-2012 at 09:55 AM..
Old 12-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #35
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

Dude, people thought Cam Newton was a late 2nd round pick before he began shooting up boards.

Geno is absolutely at least as good as a prospect right now. And he's a guy coming out who can actually, you know, throw the ball at a high level and doesn't look to run.

Don't even get me started on Sam Bradford. Scouts were sucking that guy off. The next Troy Aikman my ass.

Everyone was blowing that 06 class, too. It turned out to be ****.

You cannot sit here and say this is a bad QB class. IMO it's certainly on part with the 08 class in terms of potential. You need to rate these guys as prospects, not what they became as pros. You're looking at all of this in hindsight, and that's completely unfair.

If Tannehill was declaring this year he'd EASILY go after Geno, Wilson and Barkley. Put things in perspective.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:59 AM   #36
DENVERDUI55

Quote:

If Tannehill was declaring this year he'd EASILY go after Geno, Wilson and Barkley. Put things in perspective.
Tannehill would be the first QB off the board easily.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #37
Chiefs > Broncos

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!

It's cool that you want to be edgy and anti-Chief and say Geno isn't worthy of a #1. That's fine.

But if you sit here and tell me this kid is a worse prospect than Ryan Tannehill, you're ****ing lying to everyone. Geno has three + years of incredible, winning production in two different systems. Physically, he has it all. That alone makes him an awesome, awesome prospect.

As a pure pro prospect he's somewhere between Robert Griffin and Josh Freeman. He's absolutely a first round QB, and given the Chiefs' needs and how inexpensive even the #1 pick is these days, it's a no brainer.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #38
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I think Geno Smith is a first round QB. That said he is not worth the first overall, and I wouldn't want him. The bust potential is high with him and there are red flags. He plays with amazing receivers and throws into double and tripple coverage. He doesn't go through progressions and leans on his arm and his skill positions more than his football IQ. It's going to be a rough go for Geno his first two years.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #39
MillerMayhem58

chief fans are just like raider fans were/are. They don't have a clue.....They keep buying tickets, keep buying gear, and keep drinking the kool-aid. What none of these fans realize is if OWNERSHIP wanted to win, they would be winning. Kc is a food stamp franchise (nothing against food stamps or people who need them). They do not care about W/L's they only care about the $$$
Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
MillerMayhem58

And BTW everytime Bobby says KC has a solid Oline, I laugh so hard I have to stop reading for a minute.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #41
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Dude, people thought Cam Newton was a late 2nd round pick before he began shooting up boards.

Geno is absolutely at least as good as a prospect right now. And he's a guy coming out who can actually, you know, throw the ball at a high level and doesn't look to run.

Don't even get me started on Sam Bradford. Scouts were sucking that guy off. The next Troy Aikman my ass.

Everyone was blowing that 06 class, too. It turned out to be ****.

You cannot sit here and say this is a bad QB class. IMO it's certainly on part with the 08 class in terms of potential. You need to rate these guys as prospects, not what they became as pros. You're looking at all of this in hindsight, and that's completely unfair.

Tannehill is light years better than any QB coming out this year. So you are saying these QBs are top 7 talent last year? No way. KC is stuck taking a QB and hoping he turns it around in KC. Good luck with that with a new GM and coach and KCs terrible history of drafting QBs that win games for them

I love it. KC picked the wrong year to suck for Luck.
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #42
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

On what the OP is really about, this will be a similar game to the one we just played except the running back will better and the defense and offensive play calling will be worse. We should win provided we can contain Charles. Quinn isn't going to be able to catch up once we go up one touchdown. They are a field goal offense.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:00 AM   #43
Raidersbane
Perennial Pro-bowler

It's kinda sad when all a K.C. fan can cling to for hope in the future is someone who has yet to be drafted much less signed. Has never put on an NFL uniform much less taken a snap in a game. And quarterback is only one (and not the greatest) of the myriad of problems for that organization.
Raidersbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
Rocket 7
Formerly known as Dipso

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Paul Smith 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
I'm setting the early line at 12.5.
They have it at 16.5

http://www.footballlocks.com/nfl_odds.shtml
Rocket 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #45
FearLanier

I would easily take both Wilson or Geno over Tannehill. At this time during last year, Tannehill was a questionable 1st round pick. He had 1 good season. That's it. Geno and Wilson have had multiple good years.

The reason why this QB class gets no love, besides the amazing QB class last year, is because all the first round QB's this year are on teams that have horrible coaching and surrounding talent.

IMO I'm more of a Tyler Wilson fan because I'd like my QB to have 3 things: toughness, leadership and smarts. Wilson has all 3.
In fact, Wilson was in by far the hardest situation I've seen a college QB be in in quite some time. All 3 of his best WR's leave for NFL, his coach is out and replaced by a guy who has no clue what he's doing, his OL sucks and his running game is average at best.

As for not lighting it up when they enter the league, how do you know Kaylore? Chiefs have a top 5 running game, a decent OL, if they keep Bowe they have a good WR and they could draft another good WR in round 2.

It really depends on who the coach is and who we draft.

Last edited by FearLanier; 12-24-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #46
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I don't know. But odds are in favor of every QB sucking and especially system ones. You have to nit-pick the few times guys suceeded. I can point to "all the rest" and show them sucking.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #47
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Wilson is the only first round caliber QB in this class, Bob. He's not worth the No. 1 overall pick, but if you got him, I would say that is a good player to develop with good skills. Barkley is 2nd-3rd round talent. Geno will make a fine slot WR.
Old 12-24-2012, 01:20 PM   #48
FearLanier

Quote:
I don't know. But odds are in favor of every QB sucking and especially system ones. You have to nit-pick the few times guys suceeded. I can point to "all the rest" and show them sucking.
The NFL is changing. Spread QB's are making it in the NFL, the triple option is working and the Patriots are using plays for a college coach who has no experience in the NFL.

IMO it depends on what situation each guy goes into. We'll see who the coach is and the surrounding talent.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #49
Kaylore
4 time AFCW Champs

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post
The NFL is changing. Spread QB's are making it in the NFL, the triple option is working and the Patriots are using plays for a college coach who has no experience in the NFL.

IMO it depends on what situation each guy goes into. We'll see who the coach is and the surrounding talent.
Hope springs eternal in the heart of every Chief fan. If I hadn't been to SB since the moon landing, and I hadn't abandoned the team yet, I would hope for that too, I suppose.

Just remember that playing in the shotgun and a college style spread offense aren't the same thing. Tim Tebow was one of, if not THE greatest spread offense QB in the history of college football. He was accurate and dynamic and look at him now. RG3 is a totally different story. And Cam isn't looking so hot. The League isn't changing as much as you think.

And just because you need a QB and you have the number 1 pick doesn't mean you are getting a franchise QB with the number 1 pick. Sorry, but the draft is what it is. It isn't a store where you work your way down your shopping list and fill everything you need. It's more like a dirty mine where there is big value to be had, things to be used, and while not all are what you need right now, there are some really valuable things, but it's in a lot of dirt and grime and you have to get lucky more than anything else.

That's why I am a firm supporter of BPA.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #50
FearLanier

Quote:
Hope springs eternal in the heart of every Chief fan. If I hadn't been to SB since the moon landing, and I hadn't abandoned the team yet, I would hope for that too, I suppose.

Just remember that playing in the shotgun and a college style spread offense aren't the same thing. Tim Tebow was one of, if not THE greatest spread offense QB in the history of college football. He was accurate and dynamic and look at him now. RG3 is a totally different story. And Cam isn't looking so hot. The League isn't changing as much as you think.

And just because you need a QB and you have the number 1 pick doesn't mean you are getting a franchise QB with the number 1 pick. Sorry, but the draft is what it is. It isn't a store where you work your way down your shopping list and fill everything you need. It's more like a dirty mine where there is big value to be had, things to be used, and while not all are what you need right now, there are some really valuable things, but it's in a lot of dirt and grime and you have to get lucky more than anything else.

That's why I am a firm supporter of BPA.
I agree, but Geno Smith and Tyler Wilson have qualities that franchise QB's have. It's not saying that they are going to be those QB's, but it's a crap shoot. No QB is a certainty and no QB is a complete failure either. There are QB's who weren't said to be great QB prospects (Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Russell Wilson) but they turned out pretty good for their teams.

The Chiefs haven't had success in the playoffs because they don't have the leader at QB and have only really tried to get the best talent once in 1983. Getting a QB of their own to develop and try is what I would like to see happen.

Last edited by FearLanier; 12-24-2012 at 03:04 PM..