The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Shoemaker
A Lurker No More

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brian Dawkins
Default Percy Harvin: Potential Trade Target?

I know Harvin's name has been brought up here a few times previously, but I saw this on Rotoworld today:

Quote:
ESPN Twin Cities reports Percy Harvin and coach Leslie Frazier had yet another heated exchange that likely contributed to the receiver being placed on injured reserve earlier this month.

It's the third documented issue with Harvin and the organization since June. The exchange is believed to have begun in the training room and has fueled speculation that the "deteriorating" relationship between the two men could lead to Harvin's exit from Minnesota. Seeking a new contract and frustrated with the identity of the Vikings offense, Harvin briefly issued a trade request last offseason. The team will have to decide whether to offer him a long-term deal heavy on performance-based incentives and escalators or prepare to shop him in March and April. One NFL personnel man estimates that Harvin would draw a second- or third-round pick in a contract year. Dec 20 - 6:11 PM
(from Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin)

There's little-to-no chance that Frazier gets fired, especially if AD drags the Vikings to the playoffs. So if that relationship is at the breaking point and the Vikings put Harvin on the block, I feel like Elway needs to go after him as hard as possible, especially if the price is only a second or third round pick.

The offense has obviously been fine this year, so this seems like a bit of a luxury expenditure on the surface. But as good as Stokley's been this season, he can't have too much more left in the tank, and a DT-Decker-Harvin grouping would be one of the best receiving corps in the NFL for years to come. Plus, this team doesn't have enough holes on it that we'd have to think twice about sacrificing picks to acquire a playmaker like Harvin.

What does the Mane think? Do we have bigger needs to fill in the offseason, or would it be worth giving up picks to get Harvin if he's available?
Shoemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
spiralism

Do it. This team hasn't a huge amount of holes except MLB really. Would have said RB but Knowshon is looking a changed man lately. If we're in win now mode, follow up on it.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

If Harvin hits the market, there won't be any shortage of suitors. It could get really expensive. I would of course love him on my team, but I doubt we could get him for a reasonable price.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I usually don't get worked up in the cap panic, but I don't see any fiscal way possible we can afford Demaryius, Decker and Harvin when they are all going to have contracts come due down the road. Percy is a lethal player, I would love to have him, but we already have other holes that need to be addressed and if we extend Clady, it is going to take up a decent portion of our revenue. I just don't see where the $ lines up to pay three receivers big bucks. You can really only have two, IMHO. You just don't see teams throwing beacoup bucks at several different WR.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:59 PM   #5
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I believe there is a player in the draft just like him that is cheaper, younger, and not as banged up. Also I'm with Requiem on the amount of cap room locked up in three WR's.

Now lets say they wanted to trade Harvin for Decker how do you feel?
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
Killericon
Front 7, Please

Adopt-a-Bronco:
watermock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
I usually don't get worked up in the cap panic, but I don't see any fiscal way possible we can afford Demaryius, Decker and Harvin when they are all going to have contracts come due down the road. Percy is a lethal player, I would love to have him, but we already have other holes that need to be addressed and if we extend Clady, it is going to take up a decent portion of our revenue. I just don't see where the $ lines up to pay three receivers big bucks. You can really only have two, IMHO. You just don't see teams throwing beacoup bucks at several different WR.
If we got Harvin, we'd extend him, then give up one of Thomas or Decker after a year. Harvin's probably the most talented of the three, but if this trade were to go down then he would have been kicked off one team for bad behaviour. Decker and Thomas are developing nicely, have chemistry with Manning, and at least Thomas has a similar ceiling to Harvin.

You raise a valid point. I'd hold on to Thomas/Decker/Whatever it'd take to get Harvin over Harvin/One of Thomas or Decker.
Killericon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
prunch
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Elway is all about value, even when he is spending $20m on QB. I don't think he will even consider him due to his paycheck. We will be drafting for depth and to replace the players of our own we won't be able to afford in 2-3 years. We have plenty of homegrown talent to spend our cap on. The one caveat will be if he feels we are one player away from winning a SB in the next 2 years but I think we win this one so that is a moot point.
prunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Keep Decker. I just draft Marcus Wheaton if he is there in the third (probably not anymore) and call it a day because he is gonna be a baller.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Harvin would not come here and be the 3rd WR and we would not have him at his salary as the 3rd WR. Thomas and Decker are not going anywhere. The Broncos will probably draft a WR but I don't see that going down until later in the draft. Caldwell has speed, he's looked good a few times they used him.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:53 PM   #10
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Harvin is a headcase. No thanks!
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

No thanks, for various reasons.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoemaker View Post
I know Harvin's name has been brought up here a few times previously, but I saw this on Rotoworld today:

(from Rotoworld: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5197/percy-harvin)

There's little-to-no chance that Frazier gets fired, especially if AD drags the Vikings to the playoffs. So if that relationship is at the breaking point and the Vikings put Harvin on the block, I feel like Elway needs to go after him as hard as possible, especially if the price is only a second or third round pick.

The offense has obviously been fine this year, so this seems like a bit of a luxury expenditure on the surface. But as good as Stokley's been this season, he can't have too much more left in the tank, and a DT-Decker-Harvin grouping would be one of the best receiving corps in the NFL for years to come. Plus, this team doesn't have enough holes on it that we'd have to think twice about sacrificing picks to acquire a playmaker like Harvin.

What does the Mane think? Do we have bigger needs to fill in the offseason, or would it be worth giving up picks to get Harvin if he's available?
not only no but hell NO..

harvin is a cancer and getting into a beef with HIS head coach,, beyond dumb..

not even to mention we flat do not have the cap space as it is to deal with the new contract he would be wanting..

Last edited by lonestar; 12-20-2012 at 07:10 PM..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #13
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I believe there is a player in the draft just like him that is cheaper, younger, and not as banged up. Also I'm with Requiem on the amount of cap room locked up in three WR's.

Now lets say they wanted to trade Harvin for Decker how do you feel?
Do it! Who is like Harvin in the draft that your are thinking of?
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Tim

Harvin for a 2nd or a 3rd all day long.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Harvin for a 2nd or a 3rd all day long.
how are you gonna pay for him?

the only WR you ever take is a clean, pure guy that is not a head case and those are few and far in between..

harvin is not one of them he has already hit the team up for a trade or new contract..

what is that called? HEAD CASE

John Elway has not been getting any of them in his term as head Huncho in DEN.. all he has been going after have been clean cut, leaders of their teams..

IIRC everyone we have drafted so far have been team captains with solid intelligence test score..

Harvin does not fit that description..

Last edited by lonestar; 12-20-2012 at 08:14 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #16
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Do it! Who is like Harvin in the draft that your are thinking of?
Tavon Austin. Shorter then Harvin, but like Harvin ability from RB/WR/KR.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I don't think headcases on a Peyton Manning team. I think people fall in line
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I don't think headcases on a Peyton Manning team. I think people fall in line
yet you forget he will not be here as long as a harvin would be do you want Brock having to deal with this mutt?

plus we do not have the money...

add to that John has not went after anyone that is remotely a head case in the draft nor FA..

get this lunacy out of your head
Old 12-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I didn't say I wanted harvin, I said his perceived attitude wouldn't bother me. And mutt? Nice
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
I didn't say I wanted harvin, I said his perceived attitude wouldn't bother me. And mutt? Nice
sorry standing up for him made me think you did want him.he is a great talent, but once you go after or at your hC that nails it for me.. we have had way to many of them already..

would rather have some one with less talent that was not a mutt. see below..

almost all WR are mutts dumb as the day is long and feel they are entitled to adoration of anyone and everyone..

always needing to be stroked in WR cases it is EGO in mutts cases the need to be loved..

Last edited by lonestar; 12-20-2012 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12-20-2012, 08:53 PM   #21
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
Tavon Austin. Shorter then Harvin, but like Harvin ability from RB/WR/KR.
Would have to use a first to get him... Should be picked in the 25-35 range. Agree he is a dynamic playmaker. But I think he is more Desean Jackson than Percy Harvin... Probably even smaller than Desean. Not a lot bigger than Holiday, but he has that incredible elusiveness that could work in the NFL.

I like his game, but Harvin is proven... Also why he will probably command a 5 year $35m type deal. I would rather have Harvin then Decker skill wise. I think Harvin could put up Marvin Harrison type numbers with Manning.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Harvin would not work in Denver.
First off, I'd say flat out Thomas is a better WR than Harvin.
Second, the move could possibly derail chemistry.
Third, the cost.
Fourth, injury concerns with Harvin.

I just would prefer looking at the draft. We do need another WR, Stokley is damn near gone, Willis is going to be gone as evidenced by how many times Peyton has chewed him out, and Caldwell is meh.
However, for a #3 WR, you don't need to trade a high pick for one.

One mid round guy to look at:
Ryan Swope
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 AM   #23
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Too injury prone. Pass.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:19 AM   #24
CEH
Ring of Famer

A Harvin type is needed for this offense. Harvin himself has too many injuries with headaches etc to be counted on when needed but depends on the final price. His value may go down with all the headaches and confrontations but great players get 2nd and 3rd chances all the time in the NFL and when Harvin is right he's a game changer

I've been in favor since Manning signed of getting a Randall Cobb sleeper in the draft. Cobb was a 2nd round pick but not from a big school

Cobb would be scary good in this offense just like he is in GB

Bottomline, I trust Manning and Elway and Co to make the right choice. If they bring him in I would be excited as hell because I would know he's on board with the direction the team is heading

Last edited by CEH; 12-21-2012 at 06:23 AM..
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 AM   #25
socalorado
Ring of Famer

There are other players out there without the loon, headcase problems that Harvin brings. Plus Harvin has cronic migraine issues and is also injury prone.

Yes, Amendola will walk if the price is right, and being on a SB contender can only help. Dont be fooled, he will bolt for the $$$. Question is does DEN have enough.
PHIL is also going to be dumping alot of their top-tier talent and trying to restructure
after the debacle that the dream team was supposed to be. They gotta dump, and restructure alot of contracts, and Maclin could be a possibility. PHIL needs draft picks.
I am callin it now, Maclin will go somewhere for a 2nd round draft pick.
Or DEN could hope that a Stedman Bailey or a Swope or Robert Woods, fell and nab them in the bottom of the 2nd, but thats gonna be tough.

Last edited by socalorado; 12-21-2012 at 06:32 AM..
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote