The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What's the biggest Broncos weakness
Peyton - he's not 100%, and looks a little "off" lately 0 0%
Offense receivers. DT and Decker still aren't where they need to be. Much room to improve 2 4.00%
Pass rush - we're good. But what about against a NE? 5 10.00%
Slow game starts. I'm sick of punting in the 1st qtr and it will cost us a playoff game 43 86.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
jerseyguy4

Default Biggest Broncos weakness

So what is it, or just discuss?

It's actually hard to come up with a list of sour points with this team right now. But surely that's what Cleveland is doing now and KC next week. But much more importantly, the Pats and/or whoever else in the playoffs will be soon enough. What will they see? What can they exploit?

Last edited by jerseyguy4; 12-18-2012 at 10:03 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

no Tebow
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:57 PM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

I kid because I care
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Interior pass rush and a coverage MLB.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

EMM ELL BEE
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
jerseyguy4

Just to go through each of the poll options:

- Peyton: someone else posted a good thread about Peyton's lackluster performance. I know, to an outsider it sounds stupid...the guy is having an awesome comeback season and is a MVP favorite. But the last few games, he is a little "off". i don't think I posted in that thread, but it does also worry me that his arm is "tired". Hopefully we'll see this isn't true over the next 2 weeks.

- Receivers: Few have discussed this, but personally, I'm a little unhappy the last 4 or 5 games.
Decker - Is he improving? Any better than he was game 3? I don't see it.
DT - Legs are great, hands are great. What really bothers me with DT is that I feel there have been at least 5+ balls within his reach this season that he didn't make an effort to get. Sometimes, you have to dive and make that play....at least attempt it.
Dreesson - the mis-Q last game is just one of those things (rarity specifically for him), but it seems to happen at least once a game for the team. I was hoping this offense would have gelled better by now

- Pass rush: We're good. Real good. Von Miller, Elvis, Wolf, Woody, yadda yadda. I guess I just feel the team has dominated when they were supposed to, on paper. In the end, it come down to this: can we do to NE what SF did? If you can't, you will severely struggle to win

- Slow game starts: Ad nauseum. I can't say this enough....get down 14 ro 21 to NE or Houston or whoever, and it's a long road back. The playoffs are not at San Diego. This week: punt, FG, punt (first 3 drives). I'm sick of it. It's going to cost us IMO
Old 12-18-2012, 10:32 PM   #7
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

A slow start will absolutely KILL us. We can't be down by a couple of touchdowns, and expect to win....
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #8
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Covering TE's
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post

Decker week 3 vs Hou: 8 Rec, 136 yards, 0 tds.
Decker week 15 @ Balt: 8 Rec, 133 yards, 1td.

I fail to see the criticism.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

Haha, touchee. It's not a stat thing; those games (that I picked at random) are both very good.
It's more of a feel thing. Has he improved? In your gut? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't seen it. Where, when?

I want to see that play where we look and ALL think..."ok, this kid gets it. He's got it. All good now"
I want to see that....I just haven't
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Haha, touchee. It's not a stat thing; those games (that I picked at random) are both very good.
It's more of a feel thing. Has he improved? In your gut? I'm not saying he hasn't, but I haven't seen it. Where, when?

I want to see that play where we look and ALL think..."ok, this kid gets it. He's got it. All good now"
I want to see that....I just haven't

Fair enough. But it appears both Decker and Thomas will cap 80 receptions for the season. Considering the coaching changes, qb changes, offensive changes so far in both Thomas and Decker's careers, they are doing fine. The key with young players is consistency and the two of them appear to be improving there. The important thing is, when DT has a down game, Decker steps up and vice versa.

Manning said it himself. This offense has been together for 15 real games. And is top 5 in scoring and yards. Could be worse.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #12
Marshall Dumervil
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Covering TE's
Yep, I agree. When we see the patsies in the playoffs, it would be nice to have Porter on gronk and Hernandez.
Marshall Dumervil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
jerseyguy4

Re: DT. Watch this catch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...KGDYspE#t=126s
I haven't seen DT do this. Not just make the catch, but he hasn't stretched himself to make the effort. Peyton has put a few of these within DT's reach
Old 12-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

I know it's been 15 years since we last went to, and won, the Super Bowl*, but in those years we dominated in the first quarter. The team would consistently win games by simply outpacing opponents in the first half. If we could adjust this, and then allow our defense to "do their thing" in the second half we would be one bad ass team. I'm not yet getting that vibe I had in '96 when EVERYONE was picking the Packers and yet I knew deep inside that this was ours for the taking.

*15 years? Holy crapola.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Ugh, someone always has to try to find something to b**** about. It's a 9 game winning streak. Just dominated a division leader on the road in December. And now that you guys can't b**** about the running game you have to search far and wide for something else. Anyway, let's look at the weaknesses.

Manning...even if he is a little "off" he's still a top 5 qb in the league and will be fine after the bye.

Receivers...screw up sometimes but are still just fine. If one receiver sucks, the others will pick him up. Like the bmore game DT was crappy but decker picked him up.

Pass Rush....one of the best Broncos pass rushes I've ever seen, and without smoke and mirrors. It's a lot of fun watching them in passing situations.

Slow starts...even when the offense does start slow, I'm not in the least bit worried, just a little annoyed. When they start slow we won't be looking at a 14 or 21 point deficit unless turnovers are involved and the opposing offense gets short fields. We now have a defense that could win a 10-7 game if it needs to. As well as an offense that could win a 38-35 game. I absolutely love this team.

Bottom line, we are going to the ****ing Super Bowl and we are winning it this year and anyone who doesn't agree can kiss my ass.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post

Hell most teams would love to have a WR getting those numbers.

Is he consistent at it NO but manly because of coverage. Sometimes they double him others they double DT. When everyone is covered Manning finds TEs or RBs.

Manning goes to whom ever is open unlikee cutlet that forces balls, what a special guy he is.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #17
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
Ugh, someone always has to try to find something to b**** about. It's a 9 game winning streak. Just dominated a division leader on the road in December. And now that you guys can't b**** about the running game you have to search far and wide for something else. Anyway, let's look at the weaknesses.

Manning...even if he is a little "off" he's still a top 5 qb in the league and will be fine after the bye.

Receivers...screw up sometimes but are still just fine. If one receiver sucks, the others will pick him up. Like the bmore game DT was crappy but decker picked him up.

Pass Rush....one of the best Broncos pass rushes I've ever seen, and without smoke and mirrors. It's a lot of fun watching them in passing situations.

Slow starts...even when the offense does start slow, I'm not in the least bit worried, just a little annoyed. When they start slow we won't be looking at a 14 or 21 point deficit unless turnovers are involved and the opposing offense gets short fields. We now have a defense that could win a 10-7 game if it needs to. As well as an offense that could win a 38-35 game. I absolutely love this team.

Bottom line, we are going to the ****ing Super Bowl and we are winning it this year and anyone who doesn't agree can kiss my ass.
Great post.

IMO our youth causes inconsistently, which will haunt us.

Our inability to rush my four and get fast pressure will also be an issue.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #18
maven
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo View Post
I know it's been 15 years since we last went to, and won, the Super Bowl*, but in those years we dominated in the first quarter. The team would consistently win games by simply outpacing opponents in the first half. If we could adjust this, and then allow our defense to "do their thing" in the second half we would be one bad ass team. I'm not yet getting that vibe I had in '96 when EVERYONE was picking the Packers and yet I knew deep inside that this was ours for the taking.

*15 years? Holy crapola.
I'm not getting that vibe either. This season feels like the previous year.
maven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #19
Hulamau
Polynesian Paralysis

In the Pocket

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Covering TE's
Amen on this one Baja, was just going to list TEs... we get to NE and they have Gronk and Hernandez both healthy and it could be a long afternoon unless we can slow them down a bit.

A bit help will be more pressure up front on Brady but we need tighter coverage on these TEs ( easier said than done I know) Maybe have to put Champ on Gronk or Hernandez should we face them again.

The good news is if and when we see NE again it will be in OUR house a mile high but only if we keep it focused, tight and rollin' for these next two games.
Hulamau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:35 AM   #20
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

There's some crazy folks on this board. Criticism of Peyton because he missed a double deep shots by a yard or two? Wow. You do realize that the guy is human and, and that in the real world (not the Madden world) those kind of throws (being 100% about timing) are very low percentage, right?
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #21
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

1. Special Teams: Holliday - hit this guy hard and he's prone to cough it up.
2. Ramirez/Koppen are weak against a strong bull rush.
3. Manning hasn't been his old self against overloaded blitzes, especially from the slot.
4. Hillman is hit and miss in his blocking. Every time he's in the backfield, send an A gap blitz.
5. The best way to stop Decker/DT is to put your best cover corner against Decker and bracket cover DT. Decker really struggles to get seperation against good cover corners.
6. Stokely is banged up. Hit this hard over the middle and the Broncos don't have a slot option.

Defensively:

I would play my best CB press against Decker, bracketing DT with a safety and leave the other safety over the top.

A good coverage LB can really slow down Tamme and I would stick with a base defense (not nickel) when the Broncos go 12 formation as Dressen as the other TE doesn't scare me. Only go with nickel if the Broncos come with a 11 formation.

Then you just have to expect your front 7 to be stout against the run with your best DT lined up in over center or Ramirez with the best pass rusher in a wide 9 look against Franklin and show blitz between those guys with your Mike testing the B/C gap early and often as Franklin has left guys unblocked a couple of times.

That way you prevent the big play, and choose to let the likes of Moreno/Stokely beat you rather than Manning/DT/Decker.

Last edited by fontaine; 12-19-2012 at 04:07 AM..
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #22
Blueflame
Miss Congeniality

Welcome to Peyton's Place

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Randy Gradishar

Once we get to the playoffs, we can't afford slow starts, mistakes or wasted opportunities... when the opposing team is one of the top 6 in the conference, maximizing every advantage is the wisest course.

That said, it's been a while since we had the luxury of finding (with 2 regular-season games remaining) a 13-3 finish to not only be attainable, but the most probable outcome.

GO BRONCOS!!!!!!!!!
Blueflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #23
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

None of the above.

Coverage of TEs is our Achilles heel -- Let's hope we heal it.
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:19 AM   #24
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhgaffney View Post
None of the above.

Coverage of TEs is our Achilles heel -- Let's hope we heal it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja
Covering TE's
Heath Miller 4 for 50 yards 1TD,
Tony Gonzalez 7 for 70 yards, 1TD,
Owen Daniels 3 for 26, 1TD,
Antonio Gates 8 for 98, 2TDs, (two games)
Jimmy Graham 5 for 63 1TD,
Greg Olsen 9 for 102, 2TDs, ****
Dallas Clark, 3 for 21, 1TD
Jermaine Gresham 6 for 108, 0TD, ****
Rob Gronkowski, 4 for 35, 0TD,
Brandon Myers, 1 for 22, 0TD,

Dennis Pitta, 7 for 125, 2TDs, ****

Not too bad considering how much we use Von as a pass rusher instead of coverage LB, and using players like Trevathan, Harris, Adams to cover the TE.

Pitta, Gresham, Olsen had season highs against us but a lot of the plays we've given up have come in garbage time.

On the other hand we've restricted Myers, Gronkowski, Daniels to near season lows.

That's a murderous row of talented TEs we've faced this season. I think we've done a pretty good job considered the talent and how often these guys are targetted by their QBs.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:38 AM   #25
Durango
Ring of Famer

Woodsman

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Just to go through each of the poll options:

- Peyton: someone else posted a good thread about Peyton's lackluster performance. I know, to an outsider it sounds stupid...the guy is having an awesome comeback season and is a MVP favorite. But the last few games, he is a little "off". i don't think I posted in that thread, but it does also worry me that his arm is "tired". Hopefully we'll see this isn't true over the next 2 weeks.

- Receivers: Few have discussed this, but personally, I'm a little unhappy the last 4 or 5 games.
DT - Legs are great, hands are great. What really bothers me with DT is that I feel there have been at least 5+ balls within his reach this season that he didn't make an effort to get. Sometimes, you have to dive and make that play....at least attempt it.
Dreesson - the mis-Q last game is just one of those things (rarity specifically for him), but it seems to happen at least once a game for the team. I was hoping this offense would have gelled better by now

- Pass rush: We're good. Real good. Von Miller, Elvis, Wolf, Woody, yadda yadda. I guess I just feel the team has dominated when they were supposed to, on paper. In the end, it come down to this: can we do to NE what SF did? If you can't, you will severely struggle to win

- Slow game starts: Ad nauseum. I can't say this enough....get down 14 ro 21 to NE or Houston or whoever, and it's a long road back. The playoffs are not at San Diego. This week: punt, FG, punt (first 3 drives). I'm sick of it. It's going to cost us IMO
Good grief. Manning and this revitalized defense have led the Broncos to a 10 game winning streak. TEN GAME WINNING STREAK, best in the entire NFL.

Will you people shut up already? Please.

Last edited by Durango; 12-19-2012 at 05:42 AM..
Durango is offline   Reply With Quote