The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default Playoff Possibilities

I don't believe the 1,2,3, or 5 seeds will change in the AFC. Only 4 and 6 can/will. And I find it hard to believe I'm saying this......but now I want Pittsburgh to win out.

If Pitt beats Cincy this weekend, they will hold the 6 seed. I believe that Pittsburgh is the ONLY team that could POSSIBLY knock out New England in the wildcard round. They're the only team with a defense good enough. Also with New Englands crappy secondary......Ben could have a good day with Wallace, et al.

Cincy, while a decent team, just doesn't have the horsepower to slow down the Pats offense.

Hell, Pitt might even be good enough to then go on and knock out Houston in round 2.....giving us a home game in the AFC title game.......

So, the teams I'm pulling for in week 16.....

1. Minnesota over Houston (to keep our hopes for #1 seed alive)

2. Pitt over Cincy (to get Pitt into the 6-seed)

3. Indy over KC (don't want Indy slipping to 6 seed; not good enough to beat Cheatriots in round 1)

4. Baltimore over NYG (again, don't want Baltimore slipping to 6-seed, as they are not good enough to beat the Cheatriots, either)
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
I don't believe the 1,2,3, or 5 seeds will change in the AFC. Only 4 and 6 can/will. And I find it hard to believe I'm saying this......but now I want Pittsburgh to win out.

If Pitt beats Cincy this weekend, they will hold the 6 seed. I believe that Pittsburgh is the ONLY team that could POSSIBLY knock out New England in the wildcard round. They're the only team with a defense good enough. Also with New Englands crappy secondary......Ben could have a good day with Wallace, et al.

Cincy, while a decent team, just doesn't have the horsepower to slow down the Pats offense.

Hell, Pitt might even be good enough to then go on and knock out Houston in round 2.....giving us a home game in the AFC title game.......

So, the teams I'm pulling for in week 16.....

1. Minnesota over Houston (to keep our hopes for #1 seed alive)

2. Pitt over Cincy (to get Pitt into the 6-seed)

3. Indy over KC (don't want Indy slipping to 6 seed; not good enough to beat Cheatriots in round 1)

4. Baltimore over NYG (again, don't want Baltimore slipping to 6-seed, as they are not good enough to beat the Cheatriots, either)
If your dream scenario plays out that would mean we play Pittsburg for the AFCC, although it would be in Denver not sure I want that for the same reason you want them to play NE.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
If your dream scenario plays out that would mean we play Pittsburg for the AFCC, although it would be in Denver not sure I want that for the same reason you want them to play NE.
I thought of that, too. But this isn't 2005. They don't have a stellar o-line, and Ben gets sacked alot. Good for our defense.

Still, it would be nice to not have to play EITHER New England or Houston.

55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,546

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

I don't care who we face. In the playoffs, everyone is good. Especially in the divisional round on up. I would like to see the Patriots lose just because I hate them. I don't agree the Steelers are better equiped to handle them than we are. I think the Bengals make are healthier and have a better shot. Dalton isn't elite, but he's not crappy. Really though, who is going to beat the Patriots at home? Not very many.

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't care who we face. In the playoffs, everyone is good. Especially in the divisional round on up. I would like to see the Patriots lose just because I hate them. I don't agree the Steelers are better equiped to handle them than we are. I think the Bengals make are healthier and have a better shot. Dalton isn't elite, but he's not crappy. Really though, who is going to beat the Patriots at home? Not very many.

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.
Oh, I didn't say that Pitt was better equipped than WE are. I just said I thought they were the only potential WILDCARD that could possibly beat them in the FIRST round. I don't think any other 1st round team could have any chance. Pitt has a chance.

And while I agree that it would be very satisfying to beat New England in the playoffs.....if the Cheats got knocked out before we had a chance to play them....well, I wouldn't complain either.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,478
Default

Pittsburgh is not that good geez.

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Miami gets that last spot. They win out, Jets lose 1 game, Cincy loses out and Steelers lose to the Browns, they are in lol!

I don't care about some other team knocking out the Pats, we shouldn't worry about that, we shouldn't worry about that. We match up well with anybody IMO.

Get the #2 seed, rest up and get ready for most likely the Pats in the Divisional Round barring an upset.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I don't care who we face. In the playoffs, everyone is good. Especially in the divisional round on up. I would like to see the Patriots lose just because I hate them. I don't agree the Steelers are better equiped to handle them than we are. I think the Bengals make are healthier and have a better shot. Dalton isn't elite, but he's not crappy. Really though, who is going to beat the Patriots at home? Not very many.

Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.
I agree somewhat. I want to play NE at home although if we do win the SB we will have earned it regardless of whom we play.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Pittsburgh is not that good geez.

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Miami gets that last spot. They win out, Jets lose 1 game, Cincy loses out and Steelers lose to the Browns, they are in lol!

I don't care about some other team knocking out the Pats, we shouldn't worry about that, we shouldn't worry about that. We match up well with anybody IMO.

Get the #2 seed, rest up and get ready for most likely the Pats in the Divisional Round barring an upset.
Their defense is. #1 overall, and #1 vs. the pass.

They are equipped to slow down NE. Question is whether or not their offense is good enough.

And I disagree.....we DON'T match up well with the Pats. I'm not saying we can't beat them....I think we can. But it's not the best matchup for us. Our LBs can't cover TEs, and that is the Pats' bread and butter. The center of our defense (DTs, MLB, safties) is our weakness.

We might be able to match them point for point, cause their secondary sucks balls......but I'm not sure that the best thing for us is to be in a shootout with Brady.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
Pittsburgh is not that good geez.

I think it would be hilarious if somehow Miami gets that last spot. They win out, Jets lose 1 game, Cincy loses out and Steelers lose to the Browns, they are in lol!

I don't care about some other team knocking out the Pats, we shouldn't worry about that, we shouldn't worry about that. We match up well with anybody IMO.

Get the #2 seed, rest up and get ready for most likely the Pats in the Divisional Round barring an upset.
True they are not that good this year but they had a lot of key players out for several games this season and if Big Ben gets hot they can beat anyone. They can be a dangerous team in the playoffs
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #10
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
True they are not that good this year but they had a lot of key players out for several games this season and if Big Ben gets hot they can beat anyone. They can be a dangerous team in the playoffs
Exactly. Ben's first Superbowl came from the 6-seed......as Bronco fans well know.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
Rohirrim
Partisan
 
Rohirrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Twixt Hell & Highwater
Posts: 53,989

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default

My dream scenario is for the Broncos to kick the Pats' asses in our house and to see Brady sniveling and throwing a tantrum on the sidelines while Knowshon pounds the rock down the field in the waning minutes of the fourth quarter.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY
 
TheChamp24's Avatar
 
The Legend

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Broncos Country
Posts: 5,478
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Their defense is. #1 overall, and #1 vs. the pass.

They are equipped to slow down NE. Question is whether or not their offense is good enough.

And I disagree.....we DON'T match up well with the Pats. I'm not saying we can't beat them....I think we can. But it's not the best matchup for us. Our LBs can't cover TEs, and that is the Pats' bread and butter. The center of our defense (DTs, MLB, safties) is our weakness.

We might be able to match them point for point, cause their secondary sucks balls......but I'm not sure that the best thing for us is to be in a shootout with Brady.
We've been playing a lot better of late in that aspect, plus their TE's have been banged up this year.
We have a good pass rush to force quick throws, limiting big plays.
Our offense matches up with their defense, we had two turnovers deep in their territory last game and still scored 21 points, on the road.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #13
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChamp24 View Post
We've been playing a lot better of late in that aspect, plus their TE's have been banged up this year.
We have a good pass rush to force quick throws, limiting big plays.
Our offense matches up with their defense, we had two turnovers deep in their territory last game and still scored 21 points, on the road.
I hear ya. And the tougher the opponent, the more satisfying the victory will be. But that matchup makes me nervous.

I won't have any fingernails left about an hour before the game......and I'll drink my beer too fast.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
baja
Pat Bowlen
 
baja's Avatar
 
The best owner ever

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the present moment
Posts: 58,882

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn
Default

Another thing about our Broncos is they have not peaked yet. We are getting better every week since week 1. Exactly what you want for a SB run. There is usually a stinker game mixed in and we had that in KC. My big concern going forward is injuries. Get Kupe back, stay healthy, win the bye and we are looking very good to win it all.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer
 
Irish Stout's Avatar
 
Run for it Marty!

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,826

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Regardless, I think to earn our Super Bowl we will have to face NE. I think we need to. It will prove to us that we can and exercise all sorts of demons. There was a time we owned them. We haven't beat NE since McDaniels was a head coach. It's time to bring them here and face them on our terms. If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.
I thought I might be the only one who wants to face the Patriots.

There are some years where I want the easiest playoff road possible. Then there are years like this and 1998 when I wonder just how good our team really is. The only way to truly find out is to play the best. I think NE is still the best in the AFC and I want to see that we can beat them.

I won't complain about home-field advantage throughout though. Love it when the boys in Orange are in Denver.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: The Mountains
Posts: 1,646
Default

Pitt got handled by a mediocre Dallas team and people think they could handle NE in NE. I just don't get it. Pitts D is a shell of their former self, which I think leads to NE easily beating Pitt. We have to beat the best in the playoffs and that is that. We will either have to beat NE, hopefully at home or go on the road to Houston and win. I don't see any other scenario playing out.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Pete Carroll is a douche

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 45,546

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
Oh, I didn't say that Pitt was better equipped than WE are. I just said I thought they were the only potential WILDCARD that could possibly beat them in the FIRST round. I don't think any other 1st round team could have any chance. Pitt has a chance.

And while I agree that it would be very satisfying to beat New England in the playoffs.....if the Cheats got knocked out before we had a chance to play them....well, I wouldn't complain either.
I would rather not play the team that knocked NE out of the playoffs in their own house. Those are the teams that win the SB every year.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #18
MagicHef
Ring of Famer
 
MagicHef's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,309

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Baltimore already beat New England.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #19
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Pitt got handled by a mediocre Dallas team and people think they could handle NE in NE. I just don't get it. Pitts D is a shell of their former self, which I think leads to NE easily beating Pitt. We have to beat the best in the playoffs and that is that. We will either have to beat NE, hopefully at home or go on the road to Houston and win. I don't see any other scenario playing out.
Bad argument. New England lost to Arizona in New England.....so why couldn't Pitt beat them, too?

Those "that team beat them, but lost to them, but beat them" arguments are meaningless.

All I said, is that Pitts defense is best suited to slow the Pats.....of ALL THE FIRST ROUND TEAMS.

I don't think the Pats will lose at home in the first round.....but I also didn't think wounld in 2009 to the Ravens, or in 2010 to the Jets, either.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #20
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer
 
rbackfactory80's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Posts: 4,541
Default

Baltimore is the team you want playing the Pats. They matchup well.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #21
yakyakyuk
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23
Default

I agree with 55's original analysis - that is exactly how I am cheering this weekend.

Why not wish for the Broncos best path to Super Bowl? Of all the possible 6 seeds, Pittsburg has best chance to upset New England.
yakyakyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #22
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo
 
55CrushEm's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: North of Boston, MA
Posts: 6,175

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Baltimore is the team you want playing the Pats. They matchup well.
Not without Webb and a healthy Suggs, they don't.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,906

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
If we can't beat or are scared of the Patriots, we don't deserve the Super Bowl.
^^ This
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #24
Txdonk
Just Drafted
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 28
Default

This......plus they have Pollard the Patriot killer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbackfactory80 View Post
Baltimore is the team you want playing the Pats. They matchup well.
Txdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:38 AM   #25
spdirty
Ring of Famer
 
spdirty's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bailey
Posts: 14,515

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer
Default

What I like about that scenario is the fact that even though the Pats will probably win, they'll be in for a fight. And will have to throw everything they have at Pittsburgh to win. And it would at least soften New England up for us.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Denver Broncos