The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #1
FearLanier

Default Bill Polian leading candidate in KC

"As for those more well-known entities, several league sources expect Bill Polian to be a lead candidate in Kansas City if a regime change is made there, with he and his son Chris, the former Colts GM, able to run the franchise in a very hands-on manner, which is in line with how owner Clark Hunt traditionally delegates responsibility.'

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/2...t-comes-to-gms

Very interesting.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Go ahead. Was Polian really that great at Indy?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:23 PM   #3
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Polian is a solid GM but he has an anchor baby he's dragging around in his son. It's a package deal. Suck on that KC.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

you better tell him from the jump that you expect him to develop the entire team and not just use that BS theory he used to build around Manning.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
FearLanier

Not the best candidate in my eyes, but not the worst.

He has proven that he can draft a QB (Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning) and he's had success everywhere he's been.

His last few drafts in Indy were lackluster though. It's all about who he would hire as HC.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:52 PM   #6
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

https://soundcloud.com/mogulseeker

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Kerry Collins was pretty good, and I would argue underrated.... but did he really live up to his draft status?
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
uplink
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Kerry Collins was pretty good, and I would argue underrated.... but did he really live up to his draft status?
Collins is #12 in all time passing yards
uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:08 PM   #8
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
top 15 in all time passing yards, 208 career TD passes, two time pro bowler, won the NFC and led the Giants to the super bowl.

had he not had issues with alcohol he would have been even better.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

He would be solid...certainly much better than fat Scott.

Stacy Coley.....Speed Kills!
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Where is Amazon!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post

He has proven that he can draft a QB (Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning) and he's had success everywhere he's been.

His last few drafts in Indy were lackluster though. It's all about who he would hire as HC.
Polian would instantly be the best GM kFc has had in the last 20 years. That said I wouldn't fear kFc overnight, he would have to build a team that is capable of playing with a lead and getting a 1st down before the end of the 2nd quarter.

I would love to see you guys hire Dick Juron if Romeo gets let go after only one season. Could kFc lure Lane Kiffen out of the college ranks? What is Frank Ganz up to he would be another instant upgrade. Marty Mornhinweg?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Polian is a decent GM. They could do a lot worse.

Of course he will become extremely frustrated if cheap ass Hunt vetoes everything.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
El Minion
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Go ahead. Was Polian really that great at Indy?
One of the best GM/Personnel executives the last +20 years. Buffalo (4 SB appearances), Carolina (NFCG in year two for expansion franchise) and Indy (2 SB and 1 win) all excelled under his tutelage. He also drafted/signed excellent QB's Kelly, Collins, and Manning and paired them with very good (Capers/Mora) to great coaches (Levy/Dungy).

I'm not liking this rumor.
El Minion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

This thread should be merged with the Chiefs Suck thread.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #14
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Polian sucked in Indy before getting fired

He drafted some good players early on like Manning and Freeney, but he went several years with bust after bust of first rounders

I am not saying this just cuz he might go to the Chiefs
I have been saying for a while he was a ****ty gm in Indy

maybe he will be better in KC, but that is a very "meh" hire
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #15
Mediator12
OM analyst

Quanterus Smith was MY freakin Pick

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Please, Please let this be true

Polian is as tied to the past in his philosophy as Shanahan is devoted to mediocre sycophants being around him!

I would absolutely love Polian walking into that mess in KC and trying to meld their personnel into his philosophy. He destroyed INDY the last few years without Dungy and has not been a solid drafter in over 6 years. Yes he did a great job in Manning versus Leaf, Edgerrin James versus Ricky Williams, and even getting Freeney in the mid first round. However, he has not been able to draft the new talent coming out of college for a decade. His last major success was Freeney in 2002. Who else has he drafted since then? The ONLY decent player left from him is Antoine Bethea. 2005 til last year he has swung and missed on a ton of players.

Polian would be the perfect guy to take over KC from a broncos perspective. 5 more years of disarray and mediocrity at best IMHO.
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #16
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

Good. Polian's drafts the last half-decade or so in Indy were abysmal. He's lost it.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I can't believe only three people have pointed out Polian sucks. I'll rephrase that. He might be a good GM, but he let's nepotism guide his hiring choices and his son sucks.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #18
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I see the crew of the Titanic is still discussing the best arrangement for the deck chairs.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #19
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Polian sucked in Indy before getting fired

He drafted some good players early on like Manning and Freeney, but he went several years with bust after bust of first rounders

I am not saying this just cuz he might go to the Chiefs
I have been saying for a while he was a ****ty gm in Indy
I have no idea what you or anyone else in this boat is thinking.

Polian was an AWESOME GM in Indy.
Bad 1st round picks after Freeney?
03 - Dallas Clark
04 - no 1st round pick
05 - Marlin Jackson CB - intercepted Brady in AFC champ game to end game. Injury in 08 basically ended his career
06 - Joseph Addai, A-class RB
07 - Anthony Gonzalez - very good 2 1/2 years before injury basically ended his career
08 - no 1st round pick
09 - Donald Brown, A-class RB

Remember nearly all of these picks were made somewhere around pick #30 since the Colts always finished at the top.
In fact, NOT ONE Polian round1 pick was ever a bust, going back to 98. Only Rob Morris was considered a bust for several years as a mediocre LB'er, until he had a huge resurgence in 2006 and was a large part of the postseason defensive success that won the SB.

Polian was nothing short of a fantastic drafter and front office guy.

As Kaylore said, his son was a shiatbag. Most people don't even know (including most Colts fans), but Chris took over as GM in 09, and Bill moved back to a sorta-semi-retired position. Bill was still the face of the Colts' front office to the public, and no one really knew what the heck Chris was doing besides wasting space.

All that said, Bill is about 70 years old, and that's way too late to begin a tenure with a new team.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #20
BroncoInferno
Ring of Famer

^ On what planet are Donald Brown and Joseph Addai "A-class RB[s]"? They're both about as mediocre as it gets, certainly not worthy of 1st round selections (even late 1st round). Other than Dallas Clark, none of those were great picks even if they weren't total failures. But you have to look beyond the 1st round when grading drafting prowess. Give us the list of quality draft picks Polian made outside the 1st round his last five years. You probably won't need two hands.
BroncoInferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #21
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyguy4 View Post
I have no idea what you or anyone else in this boat is thinking.

Polian was an AWESOME GM in Indy.
Bad 1st round picks after Freeney?
03 - Dallas Clark
04 - no 1st round pick
05 - Marlin Jackson CB - intercepted Brady in AFC champ game to end game. Injury in 08 basically ended his career
06 - Joseph Addai, A-class RB
07 - Anthony Gonzalez - very good 2 1/2 years before injury basically ended his career
08 - no 1st round pick
09 - Donald Brown, A-class RB

Remember nearly all of these picks were made somewhere around pick #30 since the Colts always finished at the top.
In fact, NOT ONE Polian round1 pick was ever a bust, going back to 98. Only Rob Morris was considered a bust for several years as a mediocre LB'er, until he had a huge resurgence in 2006 and was a large part of the postseason defensive success that won the SB.

Polian was nothing short of a fantastic drafter and front office guy.

As Kaylore said, his son was a shiatbag. Most people don't even know (including most Colts fans), but Chris took over as GM in 09, and Bill moved back to a sorta-semi-retired position. Bill was still the face of the Colts' front office to the public, and no one really knew what the heck Chris was doing besides wasting space.

All that said, Bill is about 70 years old, and that's way too late to begin a tenure with a new team.
lol wtf you thought Donald Brown and Anthony Gonzalez were good first round picks?
I forgot about that bust TCU player they took a couple years ago as well
That team was hot garbage with Manning holding them together

If he was so good why did they look like an expansion team once Manning was out?

I think this rumor is nonsense, but if he is drafting guys like Anthony Gonzalez and Donald Brown in the first for the Chiefs I will consider that a success....for us
Br0nc0Buster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #22
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoInferno View Post
^ On what planet are Donald Brown and Joseph Addai "A-class RB[s]"? They're both about as mediocre as it gets, certainly not worthy of 1st round selections (even late 1st round). Other than Dallas Clark, none of those were great picks even if they weren't total failures.
Jackson and Gonzalez were both quality picks in the late 1st round. Both suffered injuries that you cannot blame Polian for.
Addai and Brown were both solid. They were smart, good blocking backs for Peyton. Addai has 1 SB ring, 2 AFC champs, and 1 pro bowl.
In 09 and 10, neither Addai nor Brown has spectacular #'s. But it was because 1) they split time and 2) the O-line was falling apart when Howard Mudd retired.

Also, Moreno was same draft as Brown, but much higher. Who has had the better career until the last few games?
Quote:
But you have to look beyond the 1st round when grading drafting prowess. Give us the list of quality draft picks Polian made outside the 1st round his last five years. You probably won't need two hands.
So 05-09? I'll keep the list short, just to those that made the Colts a strong force
Bethea SS - round 6
Charlie Johnson LT - round 6
Clint Session LB - round 4
Jacob Tamme TE - round 4
Pierre Garcon WR - round 6
Jarraud Powers CB - round 3
Austin Collie WR - round 4
Pat McAfee P - round 7

From 02 to 09, the Colts averaged 12.375 wins per season.
Every season was double digit wins.
Every season was a trip to the playoffs.
1 SB champ, 2 AFC champ
6 AFC South titles in 8 years.

I concede. I stand corrected. Polian was awful.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #23
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
That team was hot garbage with Manning holding them together

If he was so good why did they look like an expansion team once Manning was out?
It was no secret the Colts would blow without Manning. Irsay knew it, Polian knew it, the coaches knew it, and the fans knew it. The team was built around Manning, and it was a calculated risk EVERY SINGLE YEAR of Peyton's tenure. Prior to 2011, Peyton hadn't missed 1 game in his career. His O-Line was built to protect him, and they did that well.

The surprise wasn't that the 2011 Colts went 2-14. The surprise was how quickly they bounced back in 2012.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #24
Mile High Salute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearLanier View Post

Kerry Collins??
Old 12-18-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Mile High Salute

I love it.

Kansas City - where careers go to die.