The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Jibba Jabba > War, Religion and Politics Thread
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #376
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
I can accept if farmers need them, but why can't hunters have their guns at the local police station, for the guns to be checked in and out? There's absolutely no reason for anyone to own an assault rifle, absolutely no reason whatsoever. If people enjoy it as a hobby then maybe they should join or start a clay pigeon shooting group instead of slaughtering animals 'for fun'.

Considering you can't ban people, guns is the obvious suggestion. 'Right to own a firearm', sounds as prehistoric as 'right to own a slave'.
Not quite as archaic as "English tyranny" though. Thanks guns. Suck it, Brits.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #377
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Why do people even want guns?
Because we are an extremely paranoid culture.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #378
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post

After he was robbed, he started carrying his 9mm...and like he says, he isn't looking for trouble...but he is ready in case it comes looking for him. Hopefully this is enough testimony for blighty as to why most people (other than criminals) own guns
A story about pulling a gun out on someone who had a gun out.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:03 PM   #379
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
I'm sure most farmers wouldn't want their livestock to be picked off by foxes. Why would you be so against someone handling your gun?

Sure it's very difficult/near impossible to stop nutjobs and people with mental disorders, but why wouldn't people want a level of gun control that is similar to that in the UK or around Europe? If the US adopted similar measures then it could save thousands of lives. What's so bad about that.

I really don't understand the machismo that surrounds guns. It has one purpose and that's to kill.

Also, I saw your comments about video games. You do realise that the video games you play, the music you listen to and the movies you watch aren't exclusive to America?
A rule of thumb in the US farmers till the earth, raise crops. Occasionally raise chickens and pigs.

Ranchers raise livestock, pigs, cows horses.

The firearms real purpose is to defend property. Or to take property (wars). The sport part is just to get better at the former.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #380
st.bernard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Actually I believe that the only reason the government has not done more to infringe rights of its citizens are all of us that own guns.

BTW blighty the average response time for a home invasion for a 911 call to the police is 27 minutes. The response time from my Glock is slightly more than the speed light.

I sleep with Mr Casul....comforting....my family is safe and will remain so. 911 is too far away. And yes, I do have a safe where everything is kept except for Big Nasty...lol.....never leave home without it.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #381
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
Americans are culturally different than Europeans, and that extends to our attitude towards government. We became a country through drastically different means than cheery ole Albion, and the concepts of self-determination and negative liberty play a large role in our gun laws. The individual conscience is not trifled with, and you can see that borne out in our speech laws as well as our gun laws. We don't ban 'hate speech' like some European countries do, for instance, and we think people have a right to rely on themselves for protection.

Gun control also has a racist background, so it's interesting you equated slavery with possession of a firearm.

http://www.federalobserver.com/archive.php?aid=5122

I quote the eminent Ice-T:

"Iíll give up my gun when everybody else doesÖif there were guns here, would you want to be the only one without one?...Itís legal in the United States. The right to bear arms is because thatís the last form of defense against tyranny, not to hunt. Itís to protect yourself from the police.Ē
The first part of Ice-T's quote is hard to fault. Cleaning up guns in America would be an impossible task. We have problems in the UK with knife crime, albeit not on the same scale of gun crime and sure there is gun crime here too.

Maybe it's time for politics and conscience to move on. It's 2012.

Out of interest, those who have firearms, what are you 'packing'? handguns, rifles, shotguns?

Last edited by Blighty; 12-15-2012 at 06:25 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #382
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

Interesting how they were all over the high powered rifle, that he didn't even use? Sounds like he used handguns. So all this talk over a high powered assault weapons ban wouldnt even touch this incident.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #383
sinuous sausage

Quote:
The first part of Ice-T's quote is hard to fault. Cleaning up guns in America would be an impossible task. We have problems in the UK with knife crime, albeit not on the same scale of gun crime and sure there is gun crime here too.

Out of interest, those who have firearms, what are you 'packing'? handguns, rifles, shotguns?
lulz, I disagree there. the primacy of the individual conscience is as close as you can come to everlasting truth for me, and "moving on" from that is a profound regression. it's also how terrible **** happens. there's a reason the Swiss mandate gun ownership.

I personally don't own a gun, but I plan on doing so someday when I have a family. I live in Texas and people generally assume I have one anyway.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #384
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:

Yes. And muzzle loaders. And high tech archery.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #385
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Suck it, Brits.
The Brits aren't reflecting on another school shooting and mourning the death of 20 kids, I'm sure they're perfectly content.

Quote:
Considering you can't ban people, guns is the obvious suggestion.
It's too late to ban guns, there are too many in circulation.

Last edited by KO5K; 12-15-2012 at 07:02 PM..
Old 12-15-2012, 06:57 PM   #386
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
I'm sure most farmers wouldn't want their livestock to be picked off by foxes. Why would you be so against someone handling your gun?

Sure it's very difficult/near impossible to stop nutjobs and people with mental disorders, but why wouldn't people want a level of gun control that is similar to that in the UK or around Europe? If the US adopted similar measures then it could save thousands of lives. What's so bad about that.

I really don't understand the machismo that surrounds guns. It has one purpose and that's to kill.

Also, I saw your comments about video games. You do realise that the video games you play, the music you listen to and the movies you watch aren't exclusive to America?
That is a very good posts blighty. I think the guns at the police station is a great idea. In fact, once the criminals find out they need to leave their guns at the police station, they won't be able to rob you. I mean every criminal is a law abiding citizen and will do what the law says. No fear of protection. Police are there for you at every turn and now criminals don't have guns with their law abiding change in their criminal policy.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:08 PM   #387
Blighty

Quote:
lulz, I disagree there. the primacy of the individual conscience is as close as you can come to everlasting truth for me, and "moving on" from that is a profound regression. it's also how terrible **** happens. there's a reason the Swiss mandate gun ownership.

I personally don't own a gun, but I plan on doing so someday when I have a family. I live in Texas and people generally assume I have one anyway.
I agree, individuality and our freedom to define norms is perfectly fine (within limits of course). I'm not calling for a big brother state. I really don't see what's so crazy about wanting to eradicate guns and gun ownership.

http://www.businessinsider.com/switz...erring-2012-12

Dr Broncenstein: I can understand the stance that people have about protecting themselves, but why do you have so many? I'd fancy myself more with a single gun than coming out duel-wielding rifles.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #388
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
That is a very good posts blighty. I think the guns at the police station is a great idea. In fact, once the criminals find out they need to leave their guns at the police station, they won't be able to rob you. I mean every criminal is a law abiding citizen and will do what the law says. No fear of protection. Police are there for you at every turn and now criminals don't have guns with their law abiding change in their criminal policy.
I'm talking about non-handguns. Rifles, shotguns, whatever, for people who have them for 'sport'.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #389
tesnyde
Paradigm Coordinator

Keepit nuttier than a squirrel turd

Quote:
Why do people even want guns?
So that tyrant kings don't screw with us, it's my right, and an armed society is a polite society.
tesnyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:19 PM   #390
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
So that tyrant kings don't screw with us, it's my right, and an armed society is a polite society.
Yeah mate, I'd watch out if I was you. Rumour here is that ol' Queeny is launching a surprise armada any minute now.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #391
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Quote:
I agree, individuality and our freedom to define norms is perfectly fine (within limits of course). I'm not calling for a big brother state. I really don't see what's so crazy about wanting to eradicate guns and gun ownership.

Dr Broncenstein: I can understand the stance that people have about protecting themselves, but why do you have so many? I'd fancy myself more with a single gun than coming out duel-wielding rifles.
Because I can. I have a rifle collection spanning .22 to .338 win mag. Each has their purpose, depending on what I intend to shoot. A rifle in general wouldnt be my first choice for defence, but certainly would suffice. My 12ga pump shotgun is for defense of my family and home.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #392
KO5K

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesnyde View Post
Well of course.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #393
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

Out of interest, those who have firearms, what are you 'packing'? handguns, rifles, shotguns
?
Aye!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #394
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:

A wise assumption.

Unlike the wimps in Colorado.

Jk
Old 12-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #395
sinuous sausage

Quote:

don't really see how that's a red herring in the least. basically the article recapitulates my point about Swiss gun ownership and then speculates about how it might change. I actually quite agree with a point brought up earlier in this thread about mandatory conscription in the military for a short time, if only to learn about how to handle and maintain a weapon. I also think society could benefit from GTFOff facebook and instagram for awhile and maybe (temporarily) getting bossed around a bit. whatever, that's the Swiss's prerogative, but I'd personally be wary. human beings don't change, and we're only a few decades removed from one of the darkest periods in human history. a hop, skip, and jump away geographically, too.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #396
Blighty

Quote:
don't really see how that's a red herring in the least. basically the article recapitulates my point about Swiss gun ownership and then speculates about how it might change. I actually quite agree with a point brought up earlier in this thread about mandatory conscription in the military for a short time, if only to learn about how to handle and maintain a weapon. I also think society could benefit from GTFOff facebook and instagram for awhile and maybe (temporarily) getting bossed around a bit. whatever, that's the Swiss's prerogative, but I'd personally be wary. human beings don't change, and we're only a few decades removed from one of the darkest periods in human history. a hop, skip, and jump away geographically, too.
The redeeming feature about military service is that it can teach people discipline, not about handling and maintaining weapons. I like the idea of people being able to take away what they've learnt and applying it to their life. Valuable life skills although it would be better if other avenues could be explored which weren't focused around promoting the use of the military.

I disagree. Humans do change although we'll always have the same animal instincts.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #397
sinuous sausage

I've been humming "This is England" for the last hour meow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROj_1R36lX0&sns=em
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #398
sinuous sausage

Quote:
The redeeming feature about military service is that it can teach people discipline, not about handling and maintaining weapons. I like the idea of people being able to take away what they've learnt and applying it to their life. Valuable life skills although it would be better if other avenues could be explored which weren't focused around promoting the use of the military.

I disagree. Humans do change although we'll always have the same animal instincts.
Individual human beings change, but that's the point of life. The human race itself does no such thing, and methinks it's dangerous to assume so.

And I agree, military people are consistently amongst the highest quality I come across in society.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #399
Blighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO5K View Post
The Brits aren't reflecting on another school shooting and mourning the death of 20 kids, I'm sure they're perfectly content.

It's too late to ban guns, there are too many in circulation.
Content? Definitely not. Understandably people aren't as affected as they were with Dunblane and Hungerford, but people here are following what's happened at Sandy Hook quite closely and no doubt people will care a lot more tomorrow as one of the victims was British (breaking news here as of 5 minutes ago).

The British public aren't oblivious to what goes on everyday in America, we do hear about your news and we are sadden. Regardless of what country it happened in, it's sad and ultimately a lot sadder as we know it's going to happen again and again yet nothing will happen due to despicable policies.

I don't want you all to think I'm attacking you for being Americans and what goes on in your country. I'm a person who just so happened to be born in London.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:09 PM   #400
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

The hypocrisy of liberals:

If you legalize drugs, drug related crime will go away.

If you criminalize guns, violent gun crimes will go away.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote