The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #151
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Hunt has two sacks, two force fumbles, and safety so far during the game.

hunt finished with three sacks, two forced fumbles, and the one safety.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 12-25-2012 at 07:00 AM..
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:08 PM   #152
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Wolfe plays UT..? What round is he projected..2?
If we take Hunt we need a dominant NT.. I love Brandon Williams..
But I'd rather get two dominant interior players in the draft.
What sounds better..
1. Doom, Wolfe, Williams, Hunt
2. Doom, Short, Williams, Wolfe
I would prefer Doom, Wolfe, Knighton, Hunt

Take a flyer on Rolando McClain if he is waived or make a run at your boy Larry Grant to help out our D in the middle.

Then draft like this for the first three rounds.
1st Matt Elam SS
2nd Margus Hunt DE
3rd Stedman Bailey WR

Maybe Denver could package later picks with Moreno, DJ for MJD. Pretty wishful thinking, but we all know he is done with the Jags.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #153
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post

Take a flyer on Rolando McClain if he is waived or make a run at your boy Larry Grant to help out our D in the middle.

1st Matt Elam SS
2nd Margus Hunt DE
3rd Stedman Bailey WR

Maybe Denver could package later picks with Moreno, DJ for MJD. Pretty wishful thinking, but we all know he is done with the Jags.
would Y'all mind putting a college team or NFL team on players names. Would help to educate those of us that do not have the time or patience to watch all the college games..

Also to help us when we watch bowl game who to watch out for..

thanks..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #154
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Hunt would be an excellent selection for us, but I think with his raw talent he is going to go higher than our second round pick. Wingspan is straight up retarded on that dude. This draft lacks a lot of elite talent, but for the front seven this draft is absolutely packed with great value. We could really do something special in the draft if we play our cards right.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:25 PM   #155
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Hunt would be an excellent selection for us, but I think with his raw talent he is going to go higher than our second round pick. Wingspan is straight up retarded on that dude. This draft lacks a lot of elite talent, but for the front seven this draft is absolutely packed with great value. We could really do something special in the draft if we play our cards right.
I agree! There is a plathora of talent especially up front!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #156
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

I've just been making a target list of players who I really like that should be around our selection. It isn't close to even being exhaustive, but as of right now (before combine, workouts) I feel that the value placement is probably right, with Richardson being a guy who would get a Top 20 nod.

Barrett Jones, C/OG-- Alabama

Jonathan Banks, CB -- Mississippi State

Xavier Rhodes, CB -- Florida State

Alex Okafor, DE -- Texas

Sheldon Richardson, DT -- Missouri

John Jenkins, DT -- Georgia

Kawann Short, DT -- Purdue
Matt Elam, SS -- Florida
Old 12-25-2012, 02:36 PM   #157
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
So far I have only seen him going late second in mocks. I know that doesn't mean anything though. Maybe we can move DJ to slide down some in the second round. Im sure people will be calling him the next Watt, I just want him to be a Justin Smith like player. Free Miller up even more on the outside and watch out.

Last edited by DBroncos4life; 12-25-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Old 12-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #158
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Quote:
So far I have only seen him going late second in mocks. I know that doesn't mean anything though. Maybe we can move DJ to slide down some in the second round. I know people will be calling him the next Watt, I just want him to be a Justin Smith like player. Free Miller up even more on the outside and watch out.
For right now I think that is a pretty fair analysis of where he is going to go and the type of player he can be. I agree with you and would like to see that kind of impact for us on that side of the line. If he was there, I'd be absolutely stoked. A lot of solid pass rushers in this draft too.

I am not sure how we are set up with picks (from the various trades) but as always, I would like to get another second or third round selection somehow. I feel like there are going to be a lot of good value selections in that area. I would like to see Denver come away with a player on ever level of the defense (DL, LB, DB) along with another WR, RB and interior OL. Just my wishes for right now.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #159
Bmore Manning

Quote:

1st Matt Elam SS
2nd Margus Hunt DE
3rd Stedman Bailey WR

Hunt looked great, I think he needs his technique to be refined, but down the road he would make a great SDE! If Wolfe does play inside for good he's going to need to add some size. Knighton and Larry Geant would be amazing hauls in free agency!

I'm not sure if Elam warrants a first round pick, and it depends what the front office has in store with Carter. He played well prior to the injury.

The draft is strong with defensive line talent and I believe we need to stock up! I would like to see a trade down and acquire some picks.. And draft
2. Kawann Short DT
2. Margus Hunt DE
3. Brandon Williams DT
4. Andrew Jackson MLB
With an emphasis on a FA wide receiver- I like Austin Collie.

Or
1. Barrett Jones G
2. Margus Hunt DE
3. Brandon Williams DT
Trade Kuper too Carolina for Jon Beason
FA Knighton and Collie
Old 12-25-2012, 02:52 PM   #160
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I've just been making a target list of players who I really like that should be around our selection. It isn't close to even being exhaustive, but as of right now (before combine, workouts) I feel that the value placement is probably right, with Richardson being a guy who would get a Top 20 nod.

Alex Okafor, DE -- Texas

Matt Elam, SS -- Florida
I would love for Barkley or Wilson to still be on the board and have a team like the Bills, Cards, or Jets trade with us. Any thought about if something like that was to happen if Matt Elam would still be around?
Old 12-25-2012, 04:41 PM   #161
Shananahan

Quote:

Alex Okafor, DE -- Texas

Matt Elam, SS -- Florida
I'd be very excited about almost all of those. Richardson scares me, as a Mizzou fan, but I could very easily convince myself that his intelligence problems won't matter in the NFL like they do in college. The guy knows how to play football and is a great athlete with a ton of talent and versatility. Apparently he was returning kickoffs a year or so prior to finally becoming eligible at 260+lbs. I think he'll be gone long before we pick, but I think he's got a very high ceiling.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #162
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I'd be very excited about almost all of those. Richardson scares me, as a Mizzou fan, but I could very easily convince myself that his intelligence problems won't matter in the NFL like they do in college. The guy knows how to play football and is a great athlete with a ton of talent and versatility. Apparently he was returning kickoffs a year or so prior to finally becoming eligible at 260+lbs. I think he'll be gone long before we pick, but I think he's got a very high ceiling.
I suspect that he would never grace the doors of Dove valley as John and JOhn seem ready not to have dummies on the team regardless of being an athlete..

they are into smart leaders preferably team captains in college and before..

I'm not sure what the average wonderlic score has been in the past few drafts but I'm pretty sure about double what it has been in the past decade..
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #163
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I really am not a fan of early round OG's so what are peoples opinions on Alvin Bailey from Arkansas, Sam Brenner from Utah and Hugh Thornton from Illinois?

Bailey (6-5, 310, 5.25) has been a productive starter at Arkansas but has struggled with consistency at times. Some of his inconsistency can be traced to carrying too much weight, so it says a lot about Bailey that he made the effort to get down to 310 pounds for the 2012 season. If his play improves as much as we expect as a result of the weight loss, Bailey could put himself in position to come out early for the draft. Projection: Third-round pick

Thornton (6-5, 310, 5.35 40) is an underrated player with the talent to become a solid starting guard in the NFL. He does a good job of setting up quickly and getting his hands on defensive tackles, allowing him to control his man. In addition, he is deceptively quick at pulling and making good blocks on outside runs. Projection: Fourth-round pick

Brenner (6-4, 305, 5.30 40) flashed the talent to play in the NFL during his first season as a starter in 2011. If he can consistently play at the level of those flashes this season, he could put himself in great draft position. He is not a huge guard who can physically dominate his opponent, but he is a smooth athlete whose deceptive strength and excellent hand use help him to consistently tie up and eliminate his man. Projection: Fourth-round pick
Old 12-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #164
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

I dont know why anyone would want Barrett Jones as a first rounder

That game against Georgia really soured me on him
Just doesnt look to have the physical tools to dominate at the next level

As for Elam
I actually like him, but I am not sure what he does that Rahim Moore doesnt
Seems like we would be looking for more of a Mike Adams replacement if we went safety

I think Rhodes might be able to fill that role
Fox has a history of converting corners into safeties
I would think he could help against guys like Gronk and Graham
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #165
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
I dont know why anyone would want Barrett Jones as a first rounder

That game against Georgia really soured me on him
Just doesnt look to have the physical tools to dominate at the next level

As for Elam
I actually like him, but I am not sure what he does that Rahim Moore doesnt
Seems like we would be looking for more of a Mike Adams replacement if we went safety

I think Rhodes might be able to fill that role
Fox has a history of converting corners into safeties
I would think he could help against guys like Gronk and Graham
Elam is SS which is what Adams plays.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #166
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Elam is SS which is what Adams plays.
yeah but it seems we ask Adams to cover the TEs a lot
I dont really see Elam as a great coverage guy

From what I have seen Elam is very similar to what Moore is now

I figure if we would go safety early it would be for a cover guy
Either Varacco from Texas or Rhodes from Fl.State
Old 12-26-2012, 10:36 PM   #167
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
yeah but it seems we ask Adams to cover the TEs a lot
I dont really see Elam as a great coverage guy

From what I have seen Elam is very similar to what Moore is now

I figure if we would go safety early it would be for a cover guy
Either Varacco from Texas or Rhodes from Fl.State
Skill-Set Summary: Elam is the complete package as a safety. He covers a lot of ground in pass coverage since he has the ability to run with receivers and tight ends. Elam is a physical, tough safety who does well in run support, too. He excels in any aspect of safety play.

Elam is very comfortable playing in the tackle box. He has a compact and muscular build that he uses to be a good tackler. An underrated aspect of Elam's game is his blitzing ability. The Gators haven't called his number that often to rush the quarterback, but when they have, Elam has showed off some dangerous ability to pressure the signal-caller. He has excellent pursuit speed to chase down ball carriers as well.

Elam is a natural in the deep part of the field in pass coverage. He is smart and judges the ball well. Elam shows good speed to cover a lot of ground and is able to pick up speed receivers running deep downfield. In zone coverage, he has a quick first step and doesn't get caught out of position.

Elam is an intelligent player who should only get better with experience. He is also a hard hitter who punishes receivers when given the opportunity.

Aside from a great physical skill set, Elam is very instinctive. He uses those instincts to fly around the field and be around the football, even when plays don't go his direction. Elam is disruptive and has a real presence in the back end of the field.

The scheme flexibility that the junior possesses will please NFL defensive back coaches. Elam has the size and physicality to play strong safety duties, but he is also fast and athletic enough to cover the deep part of the field as a free safety. Elam has fabulous coverage skills to play man-to-man with tight ends; more so than other early-round safety prospects.

Elam is a well-rounded prospect with big upside. He has tons of potential and could become a great player this season.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013melam.php

Initial Thoughts:
Andrew Parsons: Versatile. Have seen him at NB, S, OLB. Good in coverage, quick to drive on the football. Will get himself in trouble committing forward. Still, very reactive. Strong timing on his blitz, comes with intensity. Doesn’t look great taking on blocks, but usually finds a way to slip off them. Takes good angles, but a wild tackler. Goes for the big blow and many times misses the tackle because of it. A few very impressive form tackles, but they were in the minority. Could stand to be more of a playmaker on the ball.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/matt-elam

Everything I read says he is more then more then capable of being solid in coverage.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #168
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs

Shabby, not too

Quote:
Skill-Set Summary: Elam is the complete package as a safety. He covers a lot of ground in pass coverage since he has the ability to run with receivers and tight ends. Elam is a physical, tough safety who does well in run support, too. He excels in any aspect of safety play.

Elam is very comfortable playing in the tackle box. He has a compact and muscular build that he uses to be a good tackler. An underrated aspect of Elam's game is his blitzing ability. The Gators haven't called his number that often to rush the quarterback, but when they have, Elam has showed off some dangerous ability to pressure the signal-caller. He has excellent pursuit speed to chase down ball carriers as well.

Elam is a natural in the deep part of the field in pass coverage. He is smart and judges the ball well. Elam shows good speed to cover a lot of ground and is able to pick up speed receivers running deep downfield. In zone coverage, he has a quick first step and doesn't get caught out of position.

Elam is an intelligent player who should only get better with experience. He is also a hard hitter who punishes receivers when given the opportunity.

Aside from a great physical skill set, Elam is very instinctive. He uses those instincts to fly around the field and be around the football, even when plays don't go his direction. Elam is disruptive and has a real presence in the back end of the field.

The scheme flexibility that the junior possesses will please NFL defensive back coaches. Elam has the size and physicality to play strong safety duties, but he is also fast and athletic enough to cover the deep part of the field as a free safety. Elam has fabulous coverage skills to play man-to-man with tight ends; more so than other early-round safety prospects.

Elam is a well-rounded prospect with big upside. He has tons of potential and could become a great player this season.

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013melam.php

Initial Thoughts:
Andrew Parsons: Versatile. Have seen him at NB, S, OLB. Good in coverage, quick to drive on the football. Will get himself in trouble committing forward. Still, very reactive. Strong timing on his blitz, comes with intensity. Doesn’t look great taking on blocks, but usually finds a way to slip off them. Takes good angles, but a wild tackler. Goes for the big blow and many times misses the tackle because of it. A few very impressive form tackles, but they were in the minority. Could stand to be more of a playmaker on the ball.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/matt-elam

Everything I read says he is more then more then capable of being solid in coverage.
Matt Elam is 5 '10 and 200 lb
He reminds me so much of what Moore is now that he is instinctive and feisty
From what I have seen I would disagree that he is the best coverage safety we would draft
I think Rhodes and Varacco can cover just as well if not better than Elam

I figure if we go safety early, we go after someone who can shut down the top TEs in the league

I just like Rhodes and Vacarro more in that regard
I dont disagree at all that he is a well rounded stud player
Like I said I really like him
but I just dont think he is on the level of Rhodes and Vacarro in terms of coverage

I know I seem a bit redundant, I have had a few

Last edited by Br0nc0Buster; 12-26-2012 at 11:11 PM..
Old 12-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #169
Bmore Manning

Rhodes is not a SS, he is a press man corner...
I would love to have him but not at SS.

Much of the draft is going to depend on how the front office views QC and his role going forward. If he is healthy and recovers, he may the long term answer, he played well last year. So you would have Moore, Adams, and Carter next season. Adams is on the final year of his deal and is a nice insurance policy.

It also depends on what you are looking for at SS. Personally I want physicality, I want receivers to hear foot steps and know they will pay the price back there. But I want that SS to be big and have coverage ability. With what we have on the roster I'd be cool with a later pick on a SS..

Cooper Taylor 6'5" 235 (Richmond) is a player that I really like, big physical, always around the ball, has a knack for making interceptions despite being known as a big time hitter.

Kenny Tate 6'4" 220 (Maryland) this is another player of that caliber, converted OLB, Tate has the ability in coverage but is very physical.

Both players are tall and are hybrid type players. Both have the coverage ability, with great closing speed and serious hard hitting physicality. They both can cover the new era of TE and aren't undersized in doing so.

I'm looking for our Cam Chancelor type player in our defense, and the reason I like big physical players is that the size and athleticism of these kids coming out of school is unreal. We need to adjust accordingly. I would draft one of these two kids, or someone in that mold.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #170
Bmore Manning

@BroncoBuster- are you kidding me about Jones? He started off a little shaky, but he flat out dominated the second half and when the game was on the line. He was playing on an injured foot, hence the crutches after the game. He dominated Geathers and Jenkins, they ran for 300 yards, your telling me it was on the perimeter? It was all Jones and Warmack, Jones is about as close to a day one starter as you can get, we would be lucky to have a shot at 32.

@DB4L- I know conventional thinking is you take a Guard in the middle rounds, but that really depends on what the future plan is. I suggested we trade Kuper to Carolina for Beason, which is realistic. With LK playing well, Beason is expendable.. Carolina wants to get back to pounding the ball, Kuper would give them a dominate interior OL.. LG Silatolu, C Kalil, RG Kuper.. we get that elusive starting MLB. In such a case we need a starting Guard, which will cost us a first or second rounder for, Warmack and Jones in the first, Warford and Bailey in the second.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #171
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
@BroncoBuster- are you kidding me about Jones? He started off a little shaky, but he flat out dominated the second half and when the game was on the line. He was playing on an injured foot, hence the crutches after the game. He dominated Geathers and Jenkins, they ran for 300 yards, your telling me it was on the perimeter? It was all Jones and Warmack, Jones is about as close to a day one starter as you can get, we would be lucky to have a shot at 32.

@DB4L- I know conventional thinking is you take a Guard in the middle rounds, but that really depends on what the future plan is. I suggested we trade Kuper to Carolina for Beason, which is realistic. With LK playing well, Beason is expendable.. Carolina wants to get back to pounding the ball, Kuper would give them a dominate interior OL.. LG Silatolu, C Kalil, RG Kuper.. we get that elusive starting MLB. In such a case we need a starting Guard, which will cost us a first or second rounder for, Warmack and Jones in the first, Warford and Bailey in the second.
No way should we trade Kuper for a guy that has played only 5 games in two years. Trade a future pick for him that can escalate if he stays healthy. Beason has missed back to back years after signing a 6 year 51 million dollar contract as well. They plan on moving him outside now, per Rivera. Sending them DJ might be a more realistic move IMO
Old 12-27-2012, 08:28 AM   #172
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Matt Elam is 5 '10 and 200 lb
He reminds me so much of what Moore is now that he is instinctive and feisty
From what I have seen I would disagree that he is the best coverage safety we would draft
I think Rhodes and Varacco can cover just as well if not better than Elam

I figure if we go safety early, we go after someone who can shut down the top TEs in the league

I just like Rhodes and Vacarro more in that regard
I dont disagree at all that he is a well rounded stud player
Like I said I really like him
but I just dont think he is on the level of Rhodes and Vacarro in terms of coverage

I know I seem a bit redundant, I have had a few
I'm not a fan of Mack Brown coached players. They seem to flop at the next level quite a bit. Vaccaro is also a FS so he would have more coverage ability then Elam in that regards.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:08 AM   #173
Bmore Manning

Quote:
No way should we trade Kuper for a guy that has played only 5 games in two years. Trade a future pick for him that can escalate if he stays healthy. Beason has missed back to back years after signing a 6 year 51 million dollar contract as well. They plan on moving him outside now, per Rivera. Sending them DJ might be a more realistic move IMO
Kuper hasn't been the model of being healthy lately himself! That's fine that we don't trade him, but if this health issues continue to be a problem long term, clearing up that cap space wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for a quality player at a position of need!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #174
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Kuper hasn't been the model of being healthy lately himself! That's fine that we don't trade him, but if this health issues continue to be a problem long term, clearing up that cap space wouldn't be a bad idea, especially for a quality player at a position of need!
One year of being banged up is one thing, two years of missing lots of games with major injuries is another. Then you factor in the massive contract he signed. He is owed 41 million over the next 4 years.

Like I said if you want to trade DJ or a 2014 pick for Beason then do it. Then you take a OG later to help with the depth.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #175
Bmore Manning

Quote:
One year of being banged up is one thing, two years of missing lots of games with major injuries is another. Then you factor in the massive contract he signed. He is owed 41 million over the next 4 years.

Like I said if you want to trade DJ or a 2014 pick for Beason then do it. Then you take a OG later to help with the depth.
Everything depends on how the front office views players and contracts going into next season. If they like Beadles progress and Walton's prior to the injury, then OG/C falls down the list of needs.

You guys are talking about safeties, yet I view a pick on Elam in the first as unnecessary. Especially when I named some quality SS talent who have better potential, and can be had later in the draft..

You like Hunt, while DE is not a need on our team maybe they take him and kick Wolfe inside.. We should be so lucky to not have major holes and cap issues like other teams..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: