The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #301
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

I really like Alvin Bailey OG from Arkansas.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:23 PM   #302
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
I really like Alvin Bailey OG from Arkansas.
He's one of the solid guard prospects in the draft.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #303
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmore Manning View Post
Yeah I would love too see Minter too, funny how I mocked him to us and then a second day DT.. But in your second post you think its silly that I suggest we draft a DT. And you praise the play of Bannan and Unrein, who are the two we should upgrade and you don't mention the great play of Vickerson who has been our best DT by far!
I mentioned Bannan and Unrein because they are the two with contracts ending after this year as I recall. I'd love to upgrade the position mind you but it doesn't feel like as big a priority as some other positions.

Edit: That said I'm all for drafting a DT at the end of the 1st round if he's clearly the BPA.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 01-06-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Old 01-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #304
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
I still think we have a good chance to see two 1st Round backs in Giovani Bernard and Eddie Lacy. Granted, it would be late 1st round, but both of those are excellent RBs. I'm thinking Cincy and GB.

But overall, I like this draft. I see a ton of quality starting talent and not much elite talent. This is the type of draft where skilled scouts and player evaluations make all the difference. I'm very happy Denver is picking late in this draft. I think it's as likely you unearth a gem with the last pick in a round as you would with the first. I'm excited because I think we'll see some all-time horrific drafts and some of the all-time best when we look back on this draft down the road. I anticipate lots of hidden gems, and I hope we find some.
It's definitely a good year to be picking 32nd overall.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #305
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
I mentioned Bannan and Unrein because they are the two with contracts ending after this year as I recall. I'd love to upgrade the position mind you but it doesn't feel like as big a priority as some other positions.

Edit: That said I'm all for drafting a DT at the end of the 1st round if he's clearly the BPA.
Every DT on the roster has an expiring contract, Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, and Silga. Given the solid play of the line I can understand that it wouldn't seem like a need. But with everyone of those contracts expiring, I'd personally rather bring back Vickerson, and replace Bannan with another younger veteran DT, and upgrade Unrein or Silga in the draft.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #306
NickStixx

Quote:
Every DT on the roster has an expiring contract, Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, and Silga. Given the solid play of the line I can understand that it wouldn't seem like a need. But with everyone of those contracts expiring, I'd personally rather bring back Vickerson, and replace Bannan with another younger veteran DT, and upgrade Unrein or Silga in the draft.
I definitely think the Broncos would be on this same exact track of mind. Unrein has played well when he's been in there this year. Silga has been kept on the practice squad probably for this exact reason. I think a DT in the 1st or 2nd rd of the draft is a lock for Denver. I am not keen to what DT Free Agents will be out there this year. Seems like Del Rio will be able to make it work with whatever he is given.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #307
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickStixx View Post
I definitely think the Broncos would be on this same exact track of mind. Unrein has played well when he's been in there this year. Silga has been kept on the practice squad probably for this exact reason. I think a DT in the 1st or 2nd rd of the draft is a lock for Denver. I am not keen to what DT Free Agents will be out there this year. Seems like Del Rio will be able to make it work with whatever he is given.
There's some quality FA DTs, of course we don't know who will resign back with their existing team, but the quality players who would fit:

Terrance Knighton
Pat Sims
Alan Branch
Corey Williams
Sammie Lee Hill

These are the players I think are the best fit, based on their current scheme, the position they play (NT), their size, and how they all are run stuffers who offer some ability to pass rush. Knighton is at the top of the list for his age, familiarity with Del Rio, and long term upside. Branch plays in a very similar scheme in Seattle. Williams and Hill are being phased out in Detroit for Fairley.

Now the curious case of Pat Sims, I will admit I wanted no part of him prior to the season after watching him play for years. I even doubted a poster on here who wanted him. But.. this season has showed a totally different player. He has the size to stuff the run, and he has really embraced and worked with Geno Atkins and now has pass rush moves. He has been incredibly disruptive when I have watched him play. I'm really impressed in the progression he has made and think he should be an offseason priority if we miss out on Knighton.

Last edited by Bmore Manning; 01-07-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Old 01-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #308
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

If Lacy is in the draft he goes first round price.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #309
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

Quote:
For sure. There was a thread discussing this somewhere recently. I think there is no doubt about Lacy now. The guy is just strong, fast, and agile. Complete back. Probably goes before we pick, but if he doesn't, he's probably on our short list. Tough to imagine he gets past the Packers though.
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #310
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
For sure. There was a thread discussing this somewhere recently. I think there is no doubt about Lacy now. The guy is just strong, fast, and agile. Complete back. Probably goes before we pick, but if he doesn't, he's probably on our short list. Tough to imagine he gets past the Packers though.
I agree with you that two backs should go in the first. Lacy and Giovani Bernard both look like franchise backs IMO. I'm glad that we are going to be at the end of this draft and not the front though.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #311
fontaine
Ring of Famer

Go John Manning!

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ing-from-ahead

This is a great article that shows just how effective our pass rush is when we get ahead and how key it is that our DL is able to stop the run to maximize this strength.

Our defense is virtually unplayable once we get ahead with our quick strike offense and solid run D starting with strong, stout DL.

That's why it's imperative we round out this DL with more solid two way DL like Wolfe/Vickerson that can stop the run and provide quality interior rush.
fontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #312
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine View Post
http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/bron...ing-from-ahead

This is a great article that shows just how effective our pass rush is when we get ahead and how key it is that our DL is able to stop the run to maximize this strength.

Our defense is virtually unplayable once we get ahead with our quick strike offense and solid run D starting with strong, stout DL.

That's why it's imperative we round out this DL with more solid two way DL like Wolfe/Vickerson that can stop the run and provide quality interior rush.
This is why the DT prospects that I will mock or request in free agency are big boys who can play the run but still generate push and a pass rush.

In the draft- Brandon Williams and Kawann Short
In free agency- Terrance Knighton and Pat Sims
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #313
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Yep. Best back in the draft. I imagine he'll be a late 1st like Mark Ingram and Doug Martin.

The use of single-back sets has exploded across the league. It's imperative that you have an RB who can consistently pick up yardage without a lead blocker. Lacy fits the mold, and there are a bunch of teams in need of a top-flight RB.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #314
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

How about Ma'ake Kemoeatu from the Ravens. He's played under Fox as well. Cheap DT with run stopping ability. He is making less then a million this season.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #315
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Also has Daryl Smith played MLB before? Some reason I thought he has when Mike Peterson was hurt. He is a FA this year too.

http://search.jacksonville.com/fast-...0LINEBACKER%22

That said he did and it makes me want him for the job moving forward.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #316
Bmore Manning

Quote:
How about Ma'ake Kemoeatu from the Ravens. He's played under Fox as well. Cheap DT with run stopping ability. He is making less then a million this season.
That's an option if he's available. But Pat Sims offers a pass rush in addition to being a wide bodied run stopper.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #317
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Also has Daryl Smith played MLB before? Some reason I thought he has when Mike Peterson was hurt. He is a FA this year too.

http://search.jacksonville.com/fast-...0LINEBACKER%22

That said he did and it makes me want him for the job moving forward.
I think Smith has played strong side for them, and thats the position he settled in to playing, but he may be an option.. I think this another example of how their will be options at MLB via free agency.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #318
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Random blurbs from a notebook I decided to type up today:

Excited for Senior Bowl and workouts to start coming soon. I don't see a lot of top flight awesome dudes in this draft, but I think you will find quality players for a long time. More underclassmen declarations than ever.

#28 Target List

Xavier Rhodes, CB -- FSU

Ability to play press man in the NFL, in addition to solid skills in off-man and zone coverage makes him an ideal prospect to grab. DM will be the first corner taken, but we would be incredibly lucky if Rhodes was there at #28. Somehow, I doubt it, but a boy can dream. This isn't just an FSU homer pick either, Rhodes is going to be very good.

Kevin Minter, ILB -- LSU

Keith didn't find the fountain of youth and Mays ain't worth it. T'eo is going to be drafted long before us, and Minter probably ends up being the better pro in the first place. I'd say the chances of him being at our selection are 60/40 right now. Likely to move up too. If he is there and Rhodes is not, you take him.

John Jenkins, DT -- Georgia

Been word that he could fall because of knee issues or conditions based on his sheer size. Want to hear more medical word on him before committing, but he is just a giant human being and good football player.

Barrett Jones, C -- Alabama

Profiles as a good starter on the interior. Definitely the best C this class has to offer and could be the replacement for Koppen/Walton. Just don't know if he is truly BPA at #28 if others above are there.

Others: Short and Floyd at DT (1- early 2 value ends at them) unless you want to play the odds and think that them or a few other prospects are worth waiting till #58. Matt Elam probably becomes an option in the secondary and a candidate of solid value in a trade down.

DeAndre Hopkins, WR -- Clemson

This kid is going to be an absolute stud. Ideally this is in a trade down, but I think the sky is the limit for him. I think he offers us some dimension to our offense we just don't have. I think he goes in the top 40.

#58 Target List

Short and Floyd, (but I doubt they last) but Sy Williams could be here. Would take a risk on him. Might cool on him because of consistency issues. Seems like they preferred high-motor effort players like Wolfe instead.

WR: DaRick Rodgers, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton

All receivers capable of improving our offense.

LB: Khaseem Green (WLB), Arthur Brown (OLB/ILB) Kevin Reddick (ILB)

Think that these guys can start right away and make some plays. Considering the depth of other places in this draft, I can see where Brown or Reddick go a little bit lower than late round two, but we will see. I think that most of the top flight DL talent will also be gone by this point. Larry Warford at guard from Kentucky will probably go in this area too.

After that, I think there will be good value in the defensive backfield in round three, along with some runners. I don't take a runner with our top two picks because I think the value is better elsewhere. I probably forgetting some studs, but these are just guys I've got to see most of through the whole year.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #319
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
I think Smith has played strong side for them, and thats the position he settled in to playing, but he may be an option.. I think this another example of how their will be options at MLB via free agency.
The article says JDR did move him to MLB when the starter got hurt.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #320
Bmore Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Random blurbs from a notebook I decided to type up today:

Excited for Senior Bowl and workouts to start coming soon. I don't see a lot of top flight awesome dudes in this draft, but I think you will find quality players for a long time. More underclassmen declarations than ever.

#28 Target List

Xavier Rhodes, CB -- FSU

Ability to play press man in the NFL, in addition to solid skills in off-man and zone coverage makes him an ideal prospect to grab. DM will be the first corner taken, but we would be incredibly lucky if Rhodes was there at #28. Somehow, I doubt it, but a boy can dream. This isn't just an FSU homer pick either, Rhodes is going to be very good.

Kevin Minter, ILB -- LSU

Keith didn't find the fountain of youth and Mays ain't worth it. T'eo is going to be drafted long before us, and Minter probably ends up being the better pro in the first place. I'd say the chances of him being at our selection are 60/40 right now. Likely to move up too. If he is there and Rhodes is not, you take him.

John Jenkins, DT -- Georgia

Been word that he could fall because of knee issues or conditions based on his sheer size. Want to hear more medical word on him before committing, but he is just a giant human being and good football player.

Barrett Jones, C -- Alabama

Profiles as a good starter on the interior. Definitely the best C this class has to offer and could be the replacement for Koppen/Walton. Just don't know if he is truly BPA at #28 if others above are there.

Others: Short and Floyd at DT (1- early 2 value ends at them) unless you want to play the odds and think that them or a few other prospects are worth waiting till #58. Matt Elam probably becomes an option in the secondary and a candidate of solid value in a trade down.

DeAndre Hopkins, WR -- Clemson

This kid is going to be an absolute stud. Ideally this is in a trade down, but I think the sky is the limit for him. I think he offers us some dimension to our offense we just don't have. I think he goes in the top 40.

#58 Target List

Short and Floyd, (but I doubt they last) but Sy Williams could be here. Would take a risk on him. Might cool on him because of consistency issues. Seems like they preferred high-motor effort players like Wolfe instead.

WR: DaRick Rodgers, Justin Hunter, Markus Wheaton

All receivers capable of improving our offense.

LB: Khaseem Green (WLB), Arthur Brown (OLB/ILB) Kevin Reddick (ILB)

Think that these guys can start right away and make some plays. Considering the depth of other places in this draft, I can see where Brown or Reddick go a little bit lower than late round two, but we will see. I think that most of the top flight DL talent will also be gone by this point. Larry Warford at guard from Kentucky will probably go in this area too.

After that, I think there will be good value in the defensive backfield in round three, along with some runners. I don't take a runner with our top two picks because I think the value is better elsewhere. I probably forgetting some studs, but these are just guys I've got to see most of through the whole year.
It's crazy how much we disagreed last year, but how much we agree this year!
Old 01-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #321
Bmore Manning

Quote:
The article says JDR did move him to MLB when the starter got hurt.
Yeah no doubt, but the last few years he has played SLB. I think he could be an athletic MLB. It's probably more practical then Henderson transitioning to MLB.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #322
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Do you suppose he will take a mil a year for the next 4 years?

If it is more then we can't afford him.

Remember 18 players for less than 18.5 mil. Just to get to roster strength of 53.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: