The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion > NFL Draft Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default SoCal's Early Scouting Report on Miami Players

This is probably the weakest crop of draftable prospects from the program in 25+ years.

RB Mike James (Senior)
Pros: High character, team leader, hard worker, well built, decent between the tackles power back, good blocker, improving as a pass reciever. Good vision.

Cons: Speed and acceleration are not good. Won't make a ton of people miss. Despite being a power back, is not as great in short yardage as you would expect. Its possible he could be a FB in the pros. Or just a solid special teamer.

Projection: 3rd to 5th round

OT Seantrel Henderson (Junior Prospect- Has not declared yet)

Pros: Mammoth size, decent feet, good punch, overall a very good run blocker that has legitimate Pro Bowl potential in that category. Improving as a pass blocker.

Cons: Work ethic is very questionable and not a reliable person in general. Does not truly love football. Despite great size and frame, probably will not test great at combine because he's not a fan of the weight room. Might be a guard in the NFL rather than a tackle. Has penalty issues at times and is still learning how to be a good pass blocker.Does not have a ton of starts under his belt. Still unrefined.

Projection: 2nd to 4th round (if he declares)

DT Curtis Porter (Junior Prospect- Has not yet declared)

Pros: Stout run defender. Will make TFL and will consistently draw double teams to help the rest of the line in run defense. Could be a 4-3 DT (which he was), or has the ability to gain a little more weight (20 pounds) and be a 3-4 NT.

Cons: Very injury prone. Not alot of starts in his career despite being by far the best run defender on the defensive line for several years in a row. Does not offer much as a pass rusher/getting up the field. That's just not what he is. He's a plugger. Unconfirmed rumors as to level of work ethic.

Projection: This is hard to peg (if he declares)

CB Brandon McGee (Senior)

Pros: Worked to improve steadily as a junior and senior (good work ethic and leadership). Reads and recognition are better (and had 2 INT as a senior as a result) and is halfway decent in zone defense. Very good speed for a corner, which might be attractive as a development tool. Not bad in run defense for a corner.

Cons: Not unlike former Cane DeMarcus Van Dyke in the sense that the straightline speed doesnt always translate because hips arent great and he will sometiems bite on double moves. WRs can definitely get seperation on this guy in man to man coverage. Can't be trusted one on one on an island. Was No. 1 corner on a bad college defense, on a normal defense, woudl probably have been a nickel corner.

Projection: 7th round to UDFA

LB Ramon "Cookie" Buchanon (Senior)

Pros: When healthy, a decent (not great) overall college outside LB'er (he played 4-3 Sam at Miami). Decent pass defender and solid vs. the run (with the ability to make plays behind the line from time to time in the run game). Does not stand out in any one area, but was generally solid, but not spectacular. Decent athletic ability.

Cons: Very, very injury prone the last two years in particular. 2011 and 2012 seasons were ended early by two consecutive torn ACL injuries. His size and frame suggests he should be a WLB in the pros (about 230 lbs.) but may not have the speed for the position post-injuries. Talent level is decent, but its questionable if its truly NFL caliber. Could be a special teamer if he makes it at all.

Projection: UDFA

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 12-26-2012 at 12:33 AM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Thanks for the info but Without at least published sizes and weights not much help

Maybe even 40 times if known.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Thanks for the info but Without at least published sizes and weights not much help

Maybe even 40 times if known.
With regard to sizes and weights, the team site has the following:

Mike James: 5-11 222
40 time is ofcourse unknown, but if I were to venture to guess, I'd say probably somewhere in the 4.6s.

Brandon McGee 6-0 197
40 times....I would estimate somewhere in the 4.4s, again, however, this is straightline speed, he doesnt play that fast as a corner.

Seantrel Henderson 6-8 340

Curtis Porter 6-1 308 (Note: I suspect this is probably on the light side, I suspect he is closer to 315)

Ramon Buchanon 6-1 228

Note: There is a senior safety prospect I left off this list, Vaughn Telemaque. This is because in the second half of the season he wasn't even starting anymore and the guys he was playing behind were god awful (with one exception, Deon Bush, a true freshman, who I think will be a first round safety in 2 years, he has tremendous athletic ability and range and is a big hitter as well), so I thought it wouldn't even be worth it to discuss him as a realstic draft prospect, despite the fact that he started for several years prior to that.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Mat'hir Uth Gan
Ring of Famer

What happened to Darius Smith, the big DT? He looked like someone to watch after last season, but this year he was invisible. Any insight?
Mat'hir Uth Gan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #5
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat'hir Uth Gan View Post
What happened to Darius Smith, the big DT? He looked like someone to watch after last season, but this year he was invisible. Any insight?
Darius Smith was nicknamed "the Plug" presumably due to his size and ability to plug the run. He was never particularly effective despit JUCO hype and often was not even in the game by seasons end. He is not a draft able prospect IMO.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Henderson and Porter are the only guys I am interested in. If they were smart, they would go back for another year. Thanks for the information though.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Brandon Linder Seantrel Henderson and Curtis Porter announced they are all returning.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
jebures
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Brandon Linder Seantrel Henderson and Curtis Porter announced they are all returning.
I like, go Canes. What do you think of that new JUCO TE SoCal?
jebures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebures View Post
I like, go Canes. What do you think of that new JUCO TE SoCal?
Big Beau Sandland is supposed to be a huge get for the staff. He's both big and fast...although the competition at LA Pierce College will be much different than the ACC. Nonetheless, he looks like he can play at this level and hopefully along with Clive Walford he'll form one of the better TE duos in the country.

Beau is very physical....I like that...should be a tough matchup for LBs and safeties once he gets in a summer of the UTough program, which will make him even better.

There are two guys who can also be immediate difference makers next year on offense as true freshman if we can reel them in.....WR Stacy Coley and RB Alex Collins. Collins can be the stud power back to complement the Duke and Coley's talent is comparable to Amari Cooper...although he can be headache off the field. I'll still take him. Collins should be a Cane for sure......Coley will be a battle with FSU to the end.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by SoCalBronco; 01-24-2013 at 10:58 PM..
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: