The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Quoydogs
I can fix it .

Here's Johnny !

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default Offensive coordinator of the Year goes to .....

Peyton Manning

I always knew this guy was good but I had know Idea to what degree.

How can someone this good only have one super bowl ring ? Peyton not only plays QB, but puts all the players in place that are lost, explaining every play to our RB's, reading the defense so freakishly well. Have we ever had a Qb that would call a quick snap to get the D with 12 men on the field ? I can't remember if Elway would do this or not. I don't recall it happening but then again I cant remember how old I am either so that's not saying much. Anyway enough man love here could he be put up OC of the year. I know Mccoy is ours but we all know who calls every play.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #2
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

It is amazing to watch him work. His thought process is way out in front of everyone around him; including coaches.
Dedhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #3
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

how can he have only one? the Patriots have been to 5 SB's and were his achilles heel in the past due to the way the Colts were structured vs the Pats.
Brady went down and the Pats still went to the playoffs, Manning went down and the Colts cleaned house after getting the #1 pick.

the team was built around his strengths but at the same time the talent was piss poor overall.
he's never had a defense this good to back him up and he's never had a big WR corps to erase any potential mistakes, they were solid sized WR's who relied on perfect route running, but you mugged them at the LOS to stop that and throw off the offense.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
It is amazing to watch him work. His thought process is way out in front of everyone around him; including coaches.
It's funny when Manning actually needs a playcall from McCoy (which is rare).

Manning looks at McCoy and points at his ears (to signal he needs a play). Then McCoy fumbles around with his sheet of plays (turning it right-side up), adjusts the microphone on his headset up and down, and still can't get the playcall in quick enough.

That happened last night, and forced Manning to call a time-out on 3rd and short.

Manning is like "wtf?"
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
jerseyguy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
how can he have only one? the Patriots have been to 5 SB's and were his achilles heel in the past due to the way the Colts were structured vs the Pats.
Brady went down and the Pats still went to the playoffs, Manning went down and the Colts cleaned house after getting the #1 pick.

the team was built around his strengths but at the same time the talent was piss poor overall.
he's never had a defense this good to back him up and he's never had a big WR corps to erase any potential mistakes, they were solid sized WR's who relied on perfect route running, but you mugged them at the LOS to stop that and throw off the offense.
I wouldn't say the talent was piss poor. It was good on offense, highly questionable on defense.

When Dungy took over Indy, he implemented an interesting plan. That was, spend your money on offense, and make do on defense. To "make do", he put in a primarily cover 2 defense built from fast and undersized guys. Fast and undersized = low demand = cheap. From a general regular season standpoint, this worked great. But when you played other elite offenses, the games were shootouts that the Colts obviously struggled to win.

For today's team, I would never want to go back to that Dungy philosophy. However, keeping a solid D will put more pressure on Peyton to keep the O producing. It may cause more sacks, more dropped balls.

At the end of the Manning era in Indy, still a lot of money was spent on offense, but their O-line fell apart. For once, some money was going to D (Freeney), but not enough to field a solid 11.

Denver has to keep a strong defensive core, and a strong offensive line to protect Manning. I suggest you don't get too attached to WR's and RB's; those Manning can teach. Cycle them in and out and give the rookies long term contracts that don't get renewed.

(edit - gee, I obviously have it all worked out in my head)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #6
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i'm not talking about just offense or just defense. the roster structure as a whole was poor. they relied on key players and had very little depth behind them.
that's why they got hit so hard when Sanders went down, when Morris was hurt, when James left for Arizona & etc.

i know Polian and Dungy had a philosophy of drafting guys who could impact games in a certain manner but that backfired badly and they rarely went out into FA and made up the difference.

the steelers are similar in that approach but they develop their guys and mold them into the players they need to sustain the franchise.
but if Big Ben goes down they can still make the playoffs in his absence, the Colts were fully exposed as talent depleted and you can see the new GM is focusing on building up the team overall as well as surrounding luck with weapons.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Brady went down and the Pats still went to the playoffs,
They didn't make the playoffs did they? Became the second team in nfl history to go 11-5 and miss the playoffs (can you name the other). They lost to basically every decent team they played that year.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote