The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2012, 10:11 PM   #51
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborugger View Post
Today was also the anniversary of the repeal of prohibition. A banner day all around.
Damn, you are old!
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #52
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I do. I like to laugh daily. And they all think McJoshie wasn't given enough time.
Thinking that McDaniels' coaching performance would have improved if he was given more time doesn't mean that they regret firing him. The most common phrase on that site is "Thank You John Elway". They're not exactly sad about McD getting the boot.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:55 AM   #53
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
Thinking that McDaniels' coaching performance would have improved if he was given more time doesn't mean that they regret firing him. The most common phrase on that site is "Thank You John Elway". They're not exactly sad about McD getting the boot.
The thing is, I'm not even sure if more time in the situation that the Broncos had placed him would have allowed McDaniels to improve as a coach. His first year with Denver, the Broncos actually did look like a pretty well coached team. There wasn't a great wealth of talent at skill positions and in the defensive trenches, but the coaching staff appeared to be getting the most out of what they had.

In 2010, both sides of the ball appeared to regress noticeably. Our half time adjustments no longer granted us significant advantages, and players constantly appeared unprepared. Remember all the times we had the wrong number of men on the field on defense?

So, I'm not certain what was the cause, but coaching appeared regress noticeably under McDaniels during his second year. I've heard the rumors about his management style and wonder if that contributed to the decline. I know that when Fox came in, he retained a large portion of the coaching staff and simply re-aligned some of the position coaches and saw an immediate return.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 AM   #54
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
I have fun with IAOFM. When Ted takes a break from expounding how great his football knowledge is and how retarded the rest of the world is, he actually does some fun analysis of game film and his series on the Peyton Manning offense was an entertaining read. Doug's daily Lards tend to be a nice concise aggregate of most of the interesting news stories that day. And TJ's gut reactions tend to be fun read immediately post game.
Agree with this. I like the "daily lard" and really like the postgame "gut reactions". Overall, despite their flaws and the inevitable difference of opinion people are going to have with some of their takes, they do the best regular work on the Broncos that I've found. And the stuff they don't do they link to.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:17 AM   #55
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
The Patriots Way is looking more and more like a complete scam.
Really? I understand where you're coming from to a certain degree, but at the same time they are 9-3, have by far the best offense in the league (despite dealing with a lot of injuries at the skill positions), and are just as big a threat as anyone to go to the Super Bowl this year.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM   #56
Gutless Drunk
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Really? I understand where you're coming from to a certain degree, but at the same time they are 9-3, have by far the best offense in the league (despite dealing with a lot of injuries at the skill positions), and are just as big a threat as anyone to go to the Super Bowl this year.
Well, yea, but the constant fluffing of it as the winniest win of ever winning is kind of annoying.

I mean "The Giants Way" and the "Steeler Way" has been more effective of late with 2 Super Bowl wins each since the "The Patriot Way" garnered one.
Gutless Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #57
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dude View Post
Damn, you are old!
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #58
v2micca
Ring of Famer

Richard III was a field guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutless Drunk View Post
Well, yea, but the constant fluffing of it as the winniest win of ever winning is kind of annoying.

I mean "The Giants Way" and the "Steeler Way" has been more effective of late with 2 Super Bowl wins each since the "The Patriot Way" garnered one.

Yes, that Bristol Company's continued endorsement of their home team does wear on the nerves after a period of time. However, despite the obnoxious fluffers who would seek to over state their success, try not to lose site of the fact that Belichik and company have constructed a solid winning franchise That has been among the most successful teams in the past decade.

Has he had some good fortune along the way? Certainly. But all the best franchises have stumbled into a bit of providence along their own paths. Our very own Superbowl Teams were constructed from a mixture of blue chip prospects and lucky late round pick-ups.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #59
Drek
Ring of Famer

Current Denver Broncos Acquired by Josh McDaniels:
Robert Ayers
Lance Ball
Justin Bannan
Zane Beadles
David Bruton
Chris Clark
Britton Colquitt
Eric Decker
Kevin Vickerson
Knowshon Moreno
Demarius Thomas

Jason Hunter
Joe Mays
J.D. Walton

Noteworthy contributors/starters in bold.

Coaching Staff Originally Hired By McDaniels:
Mike McCoy - OC
Clancy Barone - TEs
Brian Callahan - Offensive QC
Adam Gase - QBs
Jay Rodgers - DL
Eric Studesville - RB

One 8-8 season and then one horrible season where he was quickly shown the door, leading to us selecting a defensive superstar with our first top 5 pick in ages. His QB draftee actually led this team to the division title last year including the first playoff win since 2005. One of his FA finds not listed above did well enough to net us a 5th round pick on a half season rental, which the FO has since used to draft Malik Jackson.

I don't know, if that's the definition of "darkest passage in Broncos history" maybe we should think about doing that every 10 or so years. The windfall of young talent we acquired as a result of his time here is looking pretty damn nice right about now.

Got to keep things in perspective. McDaniels failed as a HC because he failed to manage and work with people. From an institutional standpoint and talent evaluation standpoint he was at worst solid, in most cases good.

On that note, where are the four hot head coaching options from that year? McDaniels is back in New England, Spagnuolo is the DC in New Orleans and Rahim Morris is the DBs coach for Washington. Rex Ryan, the one of these four Bowlen had no interest in, is the only one still working as a HC in the NFL.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #60
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

FYI, Justin Bannan was released before last season and resigned this offseason.

also Jim Schwartz is still coaching from that new coaching class.

2 out of 11. oooof!

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...ictions-for-09

Last edited by bronco militia; 12-06-2012 at 09:12 AM..
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:22 AM   #61
mwill07
Ring of Famer

Lurker Extraordinaire

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VMFM

Quote:
Mmn. I think the darkest chapter was probably back in the 60s when the team was the doormat of the AFL and nearly got sold and moved.
I certainly wasn't around then; I have no recollection of what life was like as a Bronco fan at that time. That being said, it seems to me that there is a difference between supporting a team you know is bad and doesn't have any real hope vs a team you actually have expectations for.

Despite all it's warts, the team McD took over for had some real, tangible promise. Only a couple of years removed from an AFCCG, a high-powered offense, lots of nice pieces on the offensive side of the ball including a budding franchise QB and a stud WR. Despite fumbling all of that, McD started out 6-0 - we were living high, and had aspirations of post-season glory.

of course, the rug was violently torn away and we went 7-24 (.226) over the next 31 games (including the Fox/Orton era).

While there were times in the 60's when the Broncos were worse, there were no expectations. IMO, having high expectations magnifies how much the losses suck, which made the McD era especially painful.
mwill07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:25 AM   #62
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
I'm saying the "Patriot Way" does not exist without Brady. Shanny looked great with Elway and Belly looks great with Brady.
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 AM   #63
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:
No, not at all. Tell us who's doing better work on the Broncos. I'd love to hear it. I mean, you posted their material here once so you must have liked it at that point. Right?

itsalloverblogman belongs in the pantheon of rantsports - bleacher report. They get an "e" for effort...it's cute that they try but at the end of the day they're nothing more than fanboys running a blog.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #64
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
itsalloverblogman belongs in the pantheon of rantsports - bleacher report. They get an "e" for effort...it's cute that they try but at the end of the day they're nothing more than fanboys running a blog.
No offense, but it's clear from this response that you either don't read it or don't understand/appreciate what you do read. Or perhaps you disagree with some of their opinions or takes and let it cloud your judgment on the rest of their material. There is no comparison between itsalloverfatman and those other sources you mentioned.

I'll ask you again: who is doing better regular material on the Broncos?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #65
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
I'm saying the "Patriot Way" does not exist without Brady. Shanny looked great with Elway and Belly looks great with Brady.
I agree that Brady is a huge part of the equation. But remember that they went 11-5 with Matt Cassel. That's no small feat.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #66
Old Dude
Super Moderator

Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwill07 View Post
I certainly wasn't around then; I have no recollection of what life was like as a Bronco fan at that time. That being said, it seems to me that there is a difference between supporting a team you know is bad and doesn't have any real hope vs a team you actually have expectations for.

While there were times in the 60's when the Broncos were worse, there were no expectations. IMO, having high expectations magnifies how much the losses suck, which made the McD era especially painful.
One of these days, I'll put together a thread listing the various frustrations and humiliations we went through back in those days. And I only go back to about 65-66. But yeah, expectations weren't high. The team went 13 years before it had its first winning season in 73.

I remember making a bet with a high school teacher back then that Denver would win a super bowl before the year 2000. He hit the floor laughing and I got 10:1 odds on that one, but as it turned out, that was a fairly close deal.
Old Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #67
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it

Not2Shabby County Seat

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby

Quote:
One of these days, I'll put together a thread listing the various frustrations and humiliations we went through back in those days. And I only go back to about 65-66. But yeah, expectations weren't high. The team went 13 years before it had its first winning season in 73.

I remember making a bet with a high school teacher back then that Denver would win a super bowl before the year 2000. He hit the floor laughing and I got 10:1 odds on that one, but as it turned out, that was a fairly close deal.
Fans like you kept the Broncos going those early years. Was reading Wikipedia's page on the old AFL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_League

Interesting stuff. The Raiders were originally supposed to be named the Oakland Senores. Ralph Wilson had to loan them $400,000 to keep operating after their first year.

The Broncos Bob Howsam was one of the first into the AFL ownership group that Lamar Hunt put together, after Hunt and Howsam couldn't buy the Chicago Cardinals from Bidwill in 1959.

Ralph Wilson, way back in 1961, had connections with the CFL, challenged their League Champion to a game with his Buffalo Bills.

Denver was by far the smallest market among the original AFL teams. Hell, Colorado had about 1.7 million people in the entire state in 1960.
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:58 PM   #68
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I wish people would stop giving McDaniels credit for Von Miller. That is like me saying I wouldn't have been born if it wasn't for Hitler. See, my Grandma's family fled Czech when Germany invaded. My Grandfather was in the Canadian army and met her in England. Therefore, I should thank Hitler for my existence!
Now I don't want to say that Hitler is comparable to Hitler or vice versa. That is foolish! I know this because Hitler would have had a better record in 2010.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #69
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2micca View Post
The thing is, I'm not even sure if more time in the situation that the Broncos had placed him would have allowed McDaniels to improve as a coach. His first year with Denver, the Broncos actually did look like a pretty well coached team. There wasn't a great wealth of talent at skill positions and in the defensive trenches, but the coaching staff appeared to be getting the most out of what they had.

In 2010, both sides of the ball appeared to regress noticeably. Our half time adjustments no longer granted us significant advantages, and players constantly appeared unprepared. Remember all the times we had the wrong number of men on the field on defense?

So, I'm not certain what was the cause, but coaching appeared regress noticeably under McDaniels during his second year. I've heard the rumors about his management style and wonder if that contributed to the decline. I know that when Fox came in, he retained a large portion of the coaching staff and simply re-aligned some of the position coaches and saw an immediate return.
Josh McDaniel's micro-managing the coaching? AKA his lousy management skills and inability to deligate responsibilities?
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #70
fdf
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Mmn. I think the darkest chapter was probably back in the 60s when the team was the doormat of the AFL and nearly got sold and moved.
It's hard to get lower than the Steve Tensi/Max Choboian/Jacky Lee years. We were pathetic back in the 60's.
fdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #71
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
No offense, but it's clear from this response that you either don't read it or don't understand/appreciate what you do read. Or perhaps you disagree with some of their opinions or takes and let it cloud your judgment on the rest of their material. There is no comparison between itsalloverfatman and those other sources you mentioned.

I appreciate the clear time and effort they put into it, and it's obvious some of them have solid football knowledge. I won't deny that for a second. I just think they try to be too cute, snarky and come across extremely elitist most of the time.

I couldn't say there's a better independent blogging option out there. I just don't enjoy the tone.
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #72
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
I remember I was in the Bed Bath n Beyond ****ter reading ESPN on my phone and I found out. Greatest **** I ever took.
I knew it was over when mCd had his dad on the sideline of his last game for moral support. Who does that?
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #73
Bronco Rob
Ring of Famer

The Alpha & The Omega

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kush & Irsay

Quote:

Incorrect. Was a huge proponent of their site, in fact turned most of the people at mane on to it. What they do is no more special than the others, with the lone exception being that they soley cover the Broncos. What opinions are there to disagree with? They do nothing more than regurgitate and provide links from other sites making it easier for the less skilled or lazy navigators of the web.

Hope that helps.

Bronco Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #74
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco Rob View Post
Incorrect. Was a huge proponent of their site, in fact turned most of the people at mane on to it. What they do is no more special than the others, with the lone exception being that they soley cover the Broncos. What opinions are there to disagree with? They do nothing more than regurgitate and provide links from other sites making it easier for the less skilled or lazy navigators of the web.
Hope that helps.

Isnt that what you do for the "lazy" here.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #75
Boogerboots
Anytime now...

..just make the snow stop!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Larry Canada

In other news, Josh McD just scored number 3 in the NFL top 10 all time greatest collapse list. We got the top 10 show on NFL net north of the border. Rich Kotites Eagles are number 2.
Boogerboots is offline   Reply With Quote