The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
24champ
Bring back Kubiak!

Keep Calm and Chive on

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DomCasual
Default University of Colorado regents OK $140 million in athletic upgrades

Quote:
The board voted 9-0 to support the plan.

Among the improvements will be an expansion of the football locker room from 4,500 square feet to more than 16,000, and the construction of a 21,000-square-foot sports performance center that would be run in conjunction with the Anschutz Medical Center.

Read more: University of Colorado regents OK $140 million in athletic upgrades - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...#ixzz2mdnOmCm6
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

Great! The Broncos should hold Training Camp there upon completion of this project.
24champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2013, 03:12 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

University of Colorado has also announced that students tuition will be rising 5% per year for the next zillion years!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24champ View Post
Great! The Broncos should hold Training Camp there upon completion of this project.
I would love to see the Broncos go back to training camp on campus, but it will never happen with their new Dove Valley expansion.

I always thought it would be cool if one week of training camp could be held on a school campus somewhere else in the state and rotate every year. CU, CSU, UNC, Mesa State, Fr. Lewis, Air Force.

Again, not going to happen, but it would be fun. A great way for the organization to reach other communities with some impact and give the Broncos players a change of pace in day to day life during TC.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

This is great news and it's the right decision.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Been long overdue. Hopefully it will help get them back to being someone in college football.
Lestat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
CHEF LUIGI
winning recipe man

cooking up a victory

its so much easier when you dont have to pay the athletes.
CHEF LUIGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
Hopefully it will help get them back to being someone in college football.
I think the facilities have been a HUGE hurdle for them in terms of recruiting. esp when they are vying for guys in the same region as Team Nike.
BroncosfanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

definitely more important than investing 140 million in academics...
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Play2win
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Duke

It would be a lot of scholarships for Colorado's best and brightest...
Play2win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:15 PM   #10
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
this upgrade to facilities does not preclude the university from investing in academia and the potential ROI from this $140mm athletic investment could be a boon for the university in terms of future academic investments.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 12-05-2013 at 06:21 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
spdirty
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quentin Jammer

Quote:
They either need to invest in the athletic program or not have an athletic program. You can't p***Yfoot around and be satisfied by being embarrassment on the football field. If they won't compete, they can get the **** out and be a purely academic institution, free from all the hassles of athletics.
spdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Academics at CU is just fine, and based on their academic results, your concerns really are just a reflection of you. As in you are probably projecting your own personal experience.

CU has long neglected athletics, which are a great tool for marketing your college as a whole. It is about time.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
So your saying that the school only puts money into sports? cause obviously you have never been up there.
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
You are of course aware that it has been shown in multiple studies that enrollment goes up at schools with successful athletic programs and that revenue from that helps improve many things at the school.
In other words, happy wife, happy life.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #15
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
You are of course aware that it has been shown in multiple studies that enrollment goes up at schools with successful athletic programs and that revenue from that helps improve many things at the school.
I have a buddy that owns a moving company he needed help one day to move some movie projectors into the school like 9 of them. that's just from my one trip up there. plus they were doing a lot of construction. Its a really nice school bout time they invested in there sports programs.. Doesn't this help more then just the football team?
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
I have a buddy that owns a moving company he needed help one day to move some movie projectors into the school like 9 of them. that's just from my one trip up there. plus they were doing a lot of construction. Its a really nice school bout time they invested in there sports programs.. Doesn't this help more then just the football team?
Yep, Most schools who run top tier sports programs have a surplus of revenue to use for pumping into academics, they also use the surplus to build academic facilities and athletic ones without loans if they can't get donors to fund them fully.

When schools are successful it also leads to more donations from boosters,alumni and etc.
Essentially a sucessful athlete program is worth it's weight in gold. The money from a top notch football program helps pay for any programs that lose money but have to be played via title 9 or a sport that it historically popular at the school.

This is how Bill Martin ran the Michigan athletic department. When he started the department was constantly losing money and the university stopped using academic funds to help the various athletic programs. He had to make them profitable and then once he did he used it to begin upgrades to facilities, pay for losing programs, get boosters and alumni to donate.
That's what led to the upgrades to the big house, the new bball practice facility, the Ross center & various other things along with some of it going back to academics.

Same thing happens with PSU,Texas & etc programs who generate 25-30 mil+ per year.
Plus you now have 8-20 mil a year coming in from just conference alignment.
There are far greater things to gained from caring about athletics than lost.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

No state funds are being used for this
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
BroncosfanGuy
Make dub not dubstep

Big Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Academics at CU is just fine
To add to this, the university has invested in its law program and recently built a new law building. The law program is a top-45 program in the nation.

Physics lecturer, who likely receives some sort of monetary payment from the university (ie, an investment in academia), David Wineland won a 2012 Nobel Prize in physics. This investment, among others, has helped the school achieve its lofty reputation as the premiere atomic/molecular/optical physics graduate program in the nation (along with MIT)--above Harvard, Stanford, etal. The quantum physics program is held in high esteem being ranked as a top-5 program nationally as well.

The school has spent money in academia and as a result are ranked as the 36th best public school in the nation--2 spots ahead of the Colorado School of Mines.

Now compare this or a litany of other recent academic achievements to the football program, which is the major money-making sports program for the university and see the chasm between the 2. Take a look at the campus right now and see the constant construction going on. Take a look at the campus ten years or 15 years ago and it's easy to see the improvements the university has made to its academic buildings. Meanwhile, the football program has fallen far behind its competitors.

The school made a move forward by moving to the Pac 12. It looks to continue that now with the improvements.

Last edited by BroncosfanGuy; 12-05-2013 at 08:02 PM..
Old 12-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #19
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Hopefully this will help them to get better recruits and get competitive again. It's a double edged sword. You have to do this type of thing to get competitive so that you can get your sales up, which drives funding for other things. But no doubt this also means tuition will go up. American is pricing college out of reach for many and the ones that can go usually are left with monster bills they normally don't get paid off until well into their 30's.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:18 PM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEF LUIGI View Post
its so much easier when you dont have to pay the athletes.
Alabama, Miami, and USC don't seem to have problems building facilities and paying players
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

So they are spending $140 million for better players? Looks like Miami has some competition.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #22
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdirty View Post
They either need to invest in the athletic program or not have an athletic program. You can't p***Yfoot around and be satisfied by being embarrassment on the football field. If they won't compete, they can get the **** out and be a purely academic institution, free from all the hassles of athletics.
i would agree with this, but the general idea of needing a bigger and better program than the next guy has no end (or maybe it does, and thats oregons facility?). the very idea that EVERY school needs a new and revolutionary football complex is the issue. these are ~110 kids and 20 coaches at a university.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Academics at CU is just fine, and based on their academic results, your concerns really are just a reflection of you. As in you are probably projecting your own personal experience.

CU has long neglected athletics, which are a great tool for marketing your college as a whole. It is about time.
masters degree, im good with what ive accomplished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos_OTM View Post
So your saying that the school only puts money into sports? cause obviously you have never been up there.
not at all, and they should of course invest in their sports and their student athletes. but this is a hugely, crazy substantial ridiculous amount of money for what probably accounts for 25% of their athletes and not even a blip on the radar in terms of student population.

Quote:

how long will it take for them to make a net profit beyond what they currently make while spending 140 million though? (I really dont know, maybe faster than i imagine). sure many things improve with the addition of a football complex and facility, but again this goes back to the generally wrong philosophy that these 110 kids and 20 coaches NEED this to keep up with the jones', or that this entire race is coming in at this cost. it is what it is though, and they kinda have to, dont they.

been around collegiate athletics for awhile (strength and conditioning, exactly what these guys are getting built for them), and i understand every single argument for needing the new and best and the coach side of me would be freaking out with the new toys id have. still dont agree with the big picture idea of it.

again, i get it. need the facility to get your recruits to get wins, money, and all the fun stuff that comes with that. but at this cost?
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #23
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Wasn't slamming your education. Just speculating on your experiences while earning that secondary education.

Quote:
i would agree with this, but the general idea of needing a bigger and better program than the next guy has no end (or maybe it does, and thats oregons facility?). the very idea that EVERY school needs a new and revolutionary football complex is the issue. these are ~110 kids and 20 coaches at a university.

masters degree, im good with what ive accomplished.

not at all, and they should of course invest in their sports and their student athletes. but this is a hugely, crazy substantial ridiculous amount of money for what probably accounts for 25% of their athletes and not even a blip on the radar in terms of student population.

how long will it take for them to make a net profit beyond what they currently make while spending 140 million though? (I really dont know, maybe faster than i imagine). sure many things improve with the addition of a football complex and facility, but again this goes back to the generally wrong philosophy that these 110 kids and 20 coaches NEED this to keep up with the jones', or that this entire race is coming in at this cost. it is what it is though, and they kinda have to, dont they.

been around collegiate athletics for awhile (strength and conditioning, exactly what these guys are getting built for them), and i understand every single argument for needing the new and best and the coach side of me would be freaking out with the new toys id have. still dont agree with the big picture idea of it.

again, i get it. need the facility to get your recruits to get wins, money, and all the fun stuff that comes with that. but at this cost?
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #24
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

I went to the CU/USC game a couple weeks ago. It was the first CU football game I went to since CU played FSU when Cody Hawkins was playing QB. I was so disgusted with Hawkins (both of them), that this was the first game I went to in a long time.

Needless to say, this USC game was the most pathetic football game and fan support that I have ever seen in my life.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #25
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
University of Colorado has also announced that students tuition will be rising 5% per year for the next zillion years!
First thing to cross my mind.

I think I'd rather they put that money into tuition reductions/student aid.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote