The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:24 PM   #1
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Default Is this the best team Peyton Manning has played on?

I'm curious, has Peyton Manning ever had a better team around him than he does right now? Thinking back, he may have had a better offense during the Edgerrin James prime years...but he's never had a team this good in all 3 phases has he?
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I'm curious, has Peyton Manning ever had a better team around him than he does right now? Thinking back, he may have had a better offense during the Edgerrin James prime years...but he's never had a team this good in all 3 phases has he?
Some of those Indy squads were juggernauts. Especially in the playoffs. Against the Broncos.
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

from what i recall, his indy defenses were so good because his offense was so good. they would get up, defense could attack and was built to play from ahead. they couldnt, however, take over a game and win it on their own like this defense can.
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Doubt he ever had a better defense
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Some of my favorite games were the games involving those Colt teams with no D. The Mike Bell Indy game really stands out. Those were fun.

But best in terms of all three phases being balanced? Possibly. The Ds were always a different beast though when... whoever that safety was that was always hurt was on the field. It was particularly when he was out that they really struggled.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Slade
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Bob Sanders. In 2007 he was DPOY
Slade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
Some of my favorite games were the games involving those Colt teams with no D. The Mike Bell Indy game really stands out. Those were fun.

But best in terms of all three phases being balanced? Possibly. The Ds were always a different beast though when... whoever that safety was that was always hurt was on the field. It was particularly when he was out that they really struggled.
bob sanders
tsiguy96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsiguy96 View Post
bob sanders
That guy!

He made a huge difference and many of the Ds we associate with the Manning Colts were only as bad as they were because Sanders made the D viable. Sanders, Mathis, and Freeney were a force for quite some time.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
teknic

The best defense probably.

It's not even close on offense though.

Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Stokely, Clark, Edge in their prime was pretty unreal (2004).
Old 12-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Marvin Harrison + Reggie Wayne + Dallas Clark + Edgerrin James >> current skill positions
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #11
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic View Post
The best defense probably.

It's not even close on offense though.

Manning, Wayne, Harrison, Stokely, Clark, Edge in their prime was pretty unreal (2004).
Oh man you just beat me
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
frerottenextelway
█████

█████

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
Some of those Indy squads were juggernauts. Especially in the playoffs. Against the Broncos.
Oh God, I just remembered that Roc Alexander existed.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #13
sinuous sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Marvin Harrison + Reggie Wayne + Dallas Clark + Edgerrin James >> current skill positions
No way. Knowshon > Edge.

Kidding, everyone.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #14
Bronco X
Ring of Famer

Peyton Manning has played on a team that won the Super Bowl. If this team accomplishes that feat, we can start this discussion.
Bronco X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:23 PM   #15
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I love Thomas and Decker but, Indy's weapons were better. I think Indy's DL was better too but, rest yes
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Dallas Clark still looks better than Tamme or Dreessen

Saturday is still better the Koppen
bronco militia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP

Quote:
Only one that may be better on Denver is Demaryius Thomas. He has now emerged as a top notch #1 WR. Man I have never been so happy to be wrong about a player than him. He is so fun to watch now. His blocking is a thing of beauty.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
teknic

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Only one that may be better on Denver is Demaryius Thomas. He has now emerged as a top notch #1 WR. Man I have never been so happy to be wrong about a player than him. He is so fun to watch now. His blocking is a thing of beauty.
Gotta love DT's stiff-arms too! He's a tough receiver to bring down.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #19
Kid A
Ring of Famer

I don't need love. I just need wins

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rahim Moore

Quote:
I think the real big edge also comes in those guys being together for a lot of seasons. It has been amazing how quick the system has gelled here, Decker and DT have shown themselves as legit WRs and Tamme has been very solid, but those great Colts teams were really on the same page. There's still a lot of learning on the job going on with our offense this year.
Kid A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
jerseyguy4

Defense is better than he ever had in Indy, hands down.
No mention of special teams? Indy always had good kickers and punters, but TERRIBLE coverage and return. Holiday has as many good run backs as Peyton had seen in all his Indy years combined

I'm not gonna bite too much on the Sanders comments. The guy was great when he played. But he was like a glass version of Troy Palamalu
Old 12-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #21
g6matty

i think if manning was 5 years younger and had a chance to grow with DT he could of been better then wayne and harrison. the guys size speed talent ratio is un real. i hope he blossoms into what his full potential can be. i dont see him as a calvin johnson but more of an andre johnson. he doesnt really have that pluckability of a larry fitzgerald. although manning doesnt really give him a chance at jump balls he hits him in stride so nicely.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 PM   #22
DENVERDUI55

The team in 2005 when Pittsburgh beat them allowing us afc championship game was his best in my opinion. They were stacked and Manning was untouchable that year. This teams D is better than his Indy teams.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
Broncolt

offense no, but with peyton manning, he can make any offense click, and DT and decker have really stepped it up this year and been very consistent solid playmaking WRs.

the defense, the only years i remember our colts D being anywhere near as good as this squad is 2006 playoffs to 2007. but i really think this is the best team manning has had and i truly see this squad in the superbowl
Old 12-02-2012, 10:43 PM   #24
g6matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncolt View Post
offense no, but with peyton manning, he can make any offense click, and DT and decker have really stepped it up this year and been very consistent solid playmaking WRs.

the defense, the only years i remember our colts D being anywhere near as good as this squad is 2006 playoffs to 2007. but i really think this is the best team manning has had and i truly see this squad in the superbowl
see this is what makes me mad about analysts/fans. they think that manning made DT and decker like these stud receivers but the truth is the talent was always there the QB getting them the ball was not. DT was riddled with injuries his first two years and he was playing well even with teblow at QB last year. skip bayless repeatedly said decker wasnt even a top 50 receiver last year and he blamed tebows ****ty completion percentage on bad WR play. these guys needed someone to tie them all together and manning is that key.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #25
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

2007 Indianapolis Colts: 5th overall in offense, 3rd overall in defense.

Manning's Colts teams were consistently top-5 on offense, but 2007 was the only year where they were above-average on defense.

So, yeah... this team has a shot to be the best Manning's ever played on.....
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote