The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #176
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,846

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

SOS is used for playoff tiebreakers also....Granted it's 5th or 6th on the list but as long as it's possible to come into the play....The league simply can't open itself up to that kind of liability.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #177
sinuous sausage
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorwire77 View Post
Really don't see the purpose of forcing two terrible teams to play a game immediately after this type of tragedy. Again, we're not talking the AFC championship here. Realistically, how many people are going to be at Arrowhead for this game? 45K? There's a certain amount of humanity in the workplace that should trump short term profit. I can't think of any profession that wouldn't allow for the grieving process.
I see what you're saying, but grief is a very private thing, and I know in my experience that the world normally operating independently of my grief has snapped me out of it. The world would stop spinning if we grieved every calamity that happened. A murderous suicide happened to be a football player, and that's the only reason we're having this convo right meow. These types of things occur every day.

Again, I dunno what should be done, I'm but a lowly Maner, but it seems equally senseless for this ruffian to have any outsized, negative effect on people's lives, especially since that's probably what he most wanted anyway.

Add in all the logistical nightmares, and I don't think it heartless of the commish to at least keep the ball in motion for tomorrow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #178
sinuous sausage
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulamau View Post
Here is a thanksgiving picture from Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend and baby daughter .. what a senseless loss!Attachment 31846
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk that guy
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #179
frerottenextelway
█████
 
frerottenextelway's Avatar
 
█████

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: █████
Posts: 8,444

Adopt-a-Bronco:
██
Default

They should play the game, but if any Chief player or coach wants to sit out, they should be able to without penalty or loss of pay. Everybody handles this sh_t differently.
frerottenextelway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #180
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
SOS is used for playoff tiebreakers also....Granted it's 5th or 6th on the list but as long as it's possible to come into the play....The league simply can't open itself up to that kind of liability.
If that's such an issue they can schedule a makeup game at the end of the season.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #181
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,676

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

The Kansas City mayor thinks the game should be played...


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...=Facebook_news

Kansas City Mayor Sly James told The Associated Press he spoke to Pioli after the incident. He refused to discuss the general manager's emotional state, but the mayor said Pioli was "extremely concerned that fans of this team are not disappointed and not left in the cold."

"I think they think there's an obligation to the people of this city, the fans of the team and the fans of the other team to play the game," James said.
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #182
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frerottenextelway View Post
They should play the game, but if any Chief player or coach wants to sit out, they should be able to without penalty or loss of pay. Everybody handles this sh_t differently.
That's a terrible idea. Football players are all about machismo. They will all feel unspoken pressure to "man up" and play no matter how they are actually feeling.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #183
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
I consider myself to be a pretty heartless person. When I first started working in mechanics I witnessed a guy buffing a tire and the tire blew up and pretty much showered his brains all over the shop and everyone of us in it. I couldn't go to work for a few day after because I would literately get sick to my stomach. 20+ years later I can still get fiscally sick if I think about it too much. So to say Romeo is strong enough to just suck it up it false . I've been there, as strong as I am it folded me and still does to this day. When you know someone personally and something like that happens to them it a life changing ordeal. I don't care how strong you are.
I agree, I didn't actually witness someone die next to me. But I have been on scene for a few fatal airplane crashes. Every detail of the scene is as vivid today as when it happened. All it taes is having something trigger the memory. It didn't impact me psychologically in that it folds me because there was no relationship personally for me. However, the fact that I recall it so clearly still makes me think it has to be so much more worse when it is someone you know and spend countless hours around day in and day out.

The fact that they were talking to him and trying to calm him down and weren't able to do anything, must be that much harder. I can totally understand why people would not want the game played.

I can also understand the NFL's position. There isn't any procedure that exists that would give the right solution. That said, if the game were to go on and Romeo Crennel, Scott Pioli, or any other player said I can't go. I wouldn't blame them.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #184
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunk that guy
The guy was obviously mentally ill. Take it easy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #185
FearLanier
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

They showed footage of Romeo Crennel walking through the training facility after the accident. He looks completely dejected and shocked. It's as if he lost his own son.

Belcher was said to be close with Romeo too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #186
KipCorrington25
Free Safety
 
KipCorrington25's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Centennial
Posts: 3,657
Default

The Saints only played 15 games when Katrina hit right? So it's possible to cancel a game as might be best in this situation. Not for me to decide either way.
KipCorrington25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #187
sinuous sausage
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoydogs View Post
When you know someone personally and something like that happens to them right in front of you it's a life changing ordeal. I don't care how strong you are.
Agreed, but people handle that ordeal in every way under the sun
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #188
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
The guy was obviously mentally ill. Take it easy.
Yeah, I mean seriously, the news reports can lead one to say he was "obviously" mentally ill. Even those news reports that say there was never any signs.

Yeah something has to go terribly wrong mentally to do that. But it is foolish to say it was obvious.

So yeah, Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun that guy.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:34 PM   #189
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KipCorrington25 View Post
The Saints only played 15 games when Katrina hit right? So it's possible to cancel a game as might be best in this situation. Not for me to decide either way.
Wrong, they played all 16. They just lost a "home" game when they traveled to New York to play the Giants, a game originally scheduled to be in New Orleans. Technically they lost all their home games, as they played in San Antonio that season.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #190
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Yeah, I mean seriously, the news reports can lead one to say he was "obviously" mentally ill. Even those news reports that say there was never any signs.

Yeah something has to go terribly wrong mentally to do that. But it is foolish to say it was obvious.

So yeah, Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun that guy.
It's obvious because it's the only explanation for why the guy did what he did. A mentally healthy person doesn't murder his girlfriend and then go and kill himself in front of his bosses. Come on now.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #191
Quoydogs
I can fix it .
 
Quoydogs's Avatar
 
Here's Johnny !

Join Date: May 2004
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 3,921

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Monte Ball
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
The Kansas City mayor thinks the game should be played...


http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...=Facebook_news

Kansas City Mayor Sly James told The Associated Press he spoke to Pioli after the incident. He refused to discuss the general manager's emotional state, but the mayor said Pioli was "extremely concerned that fans of this team are not disappointed and not left in the cold."

"I think they think there's an obligation to the people of this city, the fans of the team and the fans of the other team to play the game," James said.
Imagine that, a politician not wanting to lose revenue. WOW this surprises me.
Quoydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #192
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
It's obvious because it's the only explanation for why the guy did what he did. A mentally healthy person doesn't murder his girlfriend and then go and kill himself in front of his bosses. Come on now.
People snap, doesn't mean they were mentally ill before, or showed signs. Doesn't change the fact that what they did was selfish and pathetic.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #193
sinuous sausage
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
That's a terrible idea. Football players are all about machismo. They will all feel unspoken pressure to "man up" and play no matter how they are actually feeling.
They're grown men capable of rational decisions, and are probably the best authority on their own feelings. Maybe some wanna play to take their minds off the bad situation.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #194
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
People snap, doesn't mean they were mentally ill before, or showed signs. Doesn't change the fact that what they did was selfish and pathetic.
When a person "snaps" that means they have become mentally ill. You get that right? And really, unless you have some direct experience with mental illness you have no idea what you are talking about.

For instance, the guy could have been a schizophrenic. Many schizophrenics have their first break with reality in their early to mid twenties. I'm not saying that's what happened mind you, I'm saying that judging the guys actions as selfish and pathetic without knowing anything about the situation is just dumb.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #195
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 46,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

There are some real a-holes in this thread who should never be allowed back.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #196
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinuous sausage View Post
They're grown men capable of rational decisions, and are probably the best authority on their own feelings. Maybe some wanna play to take their minds off the bad situation.
Most people aren't very good at making rational decisions in times of trauma, grown men or otherwise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #197
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.
 
HAT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 5,846

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber
Default

For those advocating cancelling game, I'm curious....What would your stance have been if this happened last Saturday?
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #198
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,240

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
When a person "snaps" that means they have become mentally ill. You get that right? And really, unless you have some direct experience with mental illness you have no idea what you are talking about.

For instance, the guy could have been a schizophrenic. Many schizophrenics have their first break with reality in their early to mid twenties. I'm not saying that's what happened mind you, I'm saying that judging the guys actions as selfish and pathetic without knowing anything about the situation is just dumb.
You have no idea what you are talking about either. That is what I am trying to say. I agree that something happened mentally. I disagree it was obvious.

His actions were selfish and pathetic, its dumb to even insinuate otherwise.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #199
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
Juwan The Headless Thompson Gunner!

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 36,480

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson
Default

Wow I just saw this. Very sad for his Girl friends family and Belcher's family. You want to take your own life that is one thing but to kill a 22 mother is beyond reproach.

I feel the most for the child who will grow up without a parent.

Senseless. Totally senseless.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #200
Agamemnon
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
For those advocating cancelling game, I'm curious....What would your stance have been if this happened last Saturday?
The same. As Bronco fan, I would've hoped they would schedule a makeup game somehow, but this is just a game. It's not nearly as important as people seem to think.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 PM.


Denver Broncos