The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #376
Mile High Salute

The point of my post wasn't to bash Moreno - he's worked out better than I ever expected. But there's a reason McGahee was the starter while Moreno was inactive for most of the season. And it's not because our coaches are stupid.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #377
R8R H8R
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Virgil Green

AP & Peyton may be contenders for the NFL comeback player of the year, but Knowshon is the Broncos comeback player of the year. Talk about a guy that was buried deep in the doghouse, and then completely turn around his circumstances in a huge way. Good for him.
R8R H8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #378
Armchair Bronco

I'm happy for Moreno. He has manned up and now owns the starting role. Good for him. Didn't think it would ever happen, but am happy it has.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #379
Drek
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
The point of my post wasn't to bash Moreno - he's worked out better than I ever expected. But there's a reason McGahee was the starter while Moreno was inactive for most of the season. And it's not because our coaches are stupid.
Its because:
1. Moreno needed to get focused on football - he has now.

2. Moreno needed to rehab more from his ACL late last season - he has now.

3. Moreno needed to learn the offense that Manning wants to run - he has now.

I think you're conveniently forgetting that going into last season Moreno was the starter but couldn't stay healthy, opening the door for McGahee in the first place. This is how it works in the NFL, McGahee stepped up when Moreno's injuries gave him an opening and never gave the job back. Now Willis is the one who got hurt and Moreno is the one who's raised the bar over McGahee.

Moreno is only just getting accustomed to this new OL scheme and this new style of downhill running. Yesterday was the first game where his natural elusiveness really started to emerge. He is a far better receiver than McGahee, which is a big deal in a Manning led offense. He's a great system fit who is doing damn good work.

Ideal world for me is that when both are 100% healthy you set up a rotation where Moreno gets 10-15 carries and 2-5 catches per game, McGahee gets 5-10 carries as the power back, and Hillman gets 5-10 carries as the speed back. Go into every game expecting to use that ratio but then ride the hot hand if one emerges.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:41 AM   #380
socalorado
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek View Post
Its because:
1. Moreno needed to go to rehab for drinking and being an idiot - he has now.

2. Moreno needed to rehab more from his ACL late last season - he has now.

3. Moreno needed to learn the offense that Manning wants to run - he has now.

I think you're conveniently forgetting that going into last season Moreno was the starter but couldn't stay healthy, opening the door for McGahee in the first place. This is how it works in the NFL, McGahee stepped up when Moreno's injuries gave him an opening and never gave the job back. Now Willis is the one who got hurt and Moreno is the one who's raised the bar over McGahee.

Moreno is only just getting accustomed to this new OL scheme and this new style of downhill running. Yesterday was the first game where his natural elusiveness really started to emerge. He is a far better receiver than McGahee, which is a big deal in a Manning led offense. He's a great system fit who is doing damn good work.

Ideal world for me is that when both are 100% healthy you set up a rotation where Moreno gets 10-15 carries and 2-5 catches per game, McGahee gets 5-10 carries as the power back, and Hillman gets 5-10 carries as the speed back. Go into every game expecting to use that ratio but then ride the hot hand if one emerges.
There. Fixed.
Hey, i am as happy as anyone that slowshon has pulled hi head out of his @ss and has decided to focus on football. The guy has finally got his priorities straight, and is doing what he was drafted to do. He looks healthy, focused, isnt making a fool of himself celebrating and hes running with authority.
Its about time. He does this for the rest of the reg season, and DEN could really do some damage. Good for him.
socalorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #381
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High Salute View Post
Get over it! McGahee ain't recovering his starting position this season or postseason. KM has already outproduced WM on a game average. Remember, KM lost his starting role last season because of injury and WM ran away with it. This year... Deja Vu. In 4 games he has had at least 20, and no fumbles. When did that ever happen with WM this season? Yeah thought so!

Oh... and about you inactive part, if that is the case... how come it ain't Ball or Hilman staring? Sure, he was in the doghouse, but don't act like he was inactive because they considered him less talented than the others.
Heyneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #382
dictionary

I told you all that Moreno was going to break out. Im so glad I got to see that display of running awesomeness live!
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #383
bronco_diesel
giddy-up

I am sure I will get blasted for this...but I am beginning to think the Broncos are better with KM running the ball.

The main reason: he does not fumble. He is now producing at the same level as WM but is not fumbling. WM still has the edge on vision, but KM has come a long way and is a beast after contact.

I am really impressed with the kid!
bronco_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #384
swaiy

I like how Moreno has been running. Even when there werent many yards to be gained, he totally got what he could instead of trying to make something out of nothing. The guy was a complete beast yesterday. I dont know what happened with him running the scouting team but I am glad he turned it around. I hope this is the way he plays every game from now on. He will be awesome.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #385
colonelbeef
Lets be friend

Elway is the new Jerry West

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derek Wolfe

I was totally wrong about him, thought Hillman would steal the show. He came ready to redeem himself.
colonelbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #386
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

I've been a basher of KM but I also give credit where credit is due. I didn't think he could play like I saw him play yesterday (and the past few games). I'm not just grudgingly saying he played well, I was flat out impressed.

Not ready to eat crow just yet, let's see if he can keep it going a few more games, but the crow is in the oven if he keeps playing like that and stays healthy.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #387
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

i love the way Moreno has kept driving his legs after contact. that's a big change in mentality for him considering in the past he's trying to juke the defender instead of taking him head on and running through him.
juking is fine when you have the open field advantage but sometimes we need what he was doing yesterday, run right through those SOB's!
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #388
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

Knowshown has always had the fire in the belly that you want in a player.

He had injuries -- and also seemed to be so eager he got in his own way.

It is very disappointing to see how fast this board goes sour on a player -- especially a kid like Moreno with a lot of potential.

With Moreno producing now there should be no problem with the run game in the playoffs.

I'm looking forward to more screens and utilization of Moreno's great hands and receiving skills.

Get him in space -- and watch the defense go crazy.

MHG
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #389
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post
I am sure I will get blasted for this...but I am beginning to think the Broncos are better with KM running the ball.

The main reason: he does not fumble. He is now producing at the same level as WM but is not fumbling. WM still has the edge on vision, but KM has come a long way and is a beast after contact.

I doubt you get blasted.

Denver IS better off running Moreno than McGahee.

Moreno has mostly got good yardage after contact ( when he didn't just trip), but he was always being hit in the backfield and made some terrific moves to just get back to the LOS the first two years. Then he got hurt in a major injury last year in November, and has just now become fully healthy again. In a way his timing was perfect, but I really think that the coaches want only ONE back active that has his type of skill set most game days , and that is why he was inactive for so long. McGahee was taking thsoe snaps.

Maybe he has been a slow learner...but he apparently HAS learned.

He is running hard, being patient with blocking and taking almost every yard there is available. And our lines blocking has still not been what it should be. Maybe he won't break off 40-60 yarders, but he is solid and has been getting over 20 touches consistantly , with NO turnovers or major mistakes. That is better than what McGahee was doing, and so I don't think McGahee will be the starter, even after he comes back. I do think he will be active if we get back to the AFCCG.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:24 PM   #390
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Have been his fan from the gitgo, but I have to add the kid has fresh legs at the tail end of the season when few others have.

I'll be much happier if he continues to run like he has the past couple of weeks the rest of the year and into the playoffs.

Plus he really has not many miles on him with all the injuries he has had. Let's hope he is past all of that now.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #391
pricejj
jungle

United In Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
Have been his fan from the gitgo, but I have to add the kid has fresh legs at the tail end of the season when few others have.
bye week. Even Old Man Brooking is going to be fresh.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #392
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Back when Moreno was on the inactive list week after week there were damn few of us that believed in him now we got lots of folks saying they always knew he would come around.

Where are the guys that wanted to cut him for the roster spot or the guys that wanted to trade him for a conditional 7th round pick. Probably the same guys that wanted to cut DJ, another player that is playing well and getting better by the week. Guess Fox and the boys know what they are doing.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #393
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Back when Moreno was on the inactive list week after week there were damn few of us that believed in him now we got lots of folks saying they always knew he would come around.

Where are the guys that wanted to cut him for the roster spot or the guys that wanted to trade him for a conditional 7th round pick. Probably the same guys that wanted to cut DJ, another player that is playing well and getting better by the week. Guess Fox and the boys know what they are doing.
i'm still trying to figure out what those folks were smoking. you don't deplete depth for a low draft pick or cut your best all around LB.
just foolishness.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:01 PM   #394
Carmelo15
Chauncey!

Jeyton Mannway

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden

Quote:

This
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #395
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

OK now that Hester looks solid can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dump Ball
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #396
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Great game for Moreno; really impressive.
Still have issues with him not being decisive at the point of attack, but just a great game against a tough team on the road.

Turning our running game around to pair with the defense is a good recipie heading into the last stages of the season.

It's also a nice advantage that Moreno will be fresher than most heading into the post season. I think it would pretty stupid to stick McGahee in a game like the AFCCG just coming off of injury and expect him to carry the load as the starter. Use him occasionaly, but if Moreno keeps up his level of play, ride him as long as you can and keep the momentum of your team moving in a positive direction.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #397
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:

which is amazing because we had somebody on here call them classless...

I think you should take the timber out of your eye before you remove a splinter out of other people's eye... and if you don't know what that means, ask Tim Tebow he'll be glad to enlighten you.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #398
BroncoBeavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
i'm still trying to figure out what those folks were smoking. you don't deplete depth for a low draft pick or cut your best all around LB.
just foolishness.
Brandon Lloyd says "Hey, how's it goin."

Did anyone ever advocate a midseason dump on Moreno though? I think most of the conversations were about whether he was worth his salary next year.

I think that's still TBD... but at least less laughable than before.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #399
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat View Post
just foolishness.
I was with Moreno through and through. I still don't think we need DJ... WW and Von are cutting it at OLB, and we need a true stud Mike that can cover TEs.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #400
Popps
It's so easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco_diesel View Post

I think Drek had it right, a combo would be best... but I'll agree that the drop-off from WM has been marginal if any.

Moreno is simply healthy... and running behind a decent line. Those are things you couldn't say about him in the past.
Popps is offline   Reply With Quote