The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default League needs to change this challenge thing

Right now, games are being lost/won over blown calls that were challenged but because the challenge was not allowed, they just don't review the play? How insane is this rule? If coaches throw that challenge flag in error, it should be a penalty, like 15 yards. It should not be the case where the play stands and they don't review the play at all. I mean, the challenge flag is not affecting the play while it's happening. The refs are clearly not blowing whistles many times because they want the play to be able to be challenge or reviewed. Because of this, the way it's set up now, it's way too severe a penalty and they need to change this next year.

Thoughts.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #2
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONA View Post
Right now, games are being lost/won over blown calls that were challenged but because the challenge was not allowed, they just don't review the play? How insane is this rule? If coaches throw that challenge flag in error, it should be a penalty, like 15 yards. It should not be the case where the play stands and they don't review the play at all. I mean, the challenge flag is not affecting the play while it's happening. The refs are clearly not blowing whistles many times because they want the play to be able to be challenge or reviewed. Because of this, the way it's set up now, it's way too severe a penalty and they need to change this next year.

Thoughts.
It's so unfair it should be changed before the next week of games.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
lolcopter

Coach should know the rules, no matter how stupid they are
Old 11-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolcopter View Post
Coach should know the rules, no matter how stupid they are
This^

Every coach should be a student of the game...and should know the NFL rule book inside and out..
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

I see it both ways...but in the end I just think the coaches need to learn the rules of their game...they are only paid millions of dollars...

it only sucks today because the Broncos are collateral damage to the grossly negligent head coaching of the Detroit Lions...
USMCBladerunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM   #6
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
This^

Every coach should be a student of the game...and should know the NFL rule book inside and out..
Agreed. Players also should know how to play the game but that doesn't mean they won't make a mistake and get a penalty now and then. Everybody is human and we make mistakes, coaches are no different. Why should their mistake be so costly? Doesn't make any sense at all. Nobody is saying that they shouldn't know the rules. But if you don't think this is something that needs addressed next year something is very wrong. All you have to do is just imagine it happens to your team, we'll see how you feel then.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:12 PM   #7
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
I see it both ways...but in the end I just think the coaches need to learn the rules of their game...they are only paid millions of dollars...

it only sucks today because the Broncos are collateral damage to the grossly negligent head coaching of the Detroit Lions...
Well that's reason enough to change it. When it effects other innocent teams
Old 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
You know, refs make mistakes too, there were too many occasions where it was costing games. So the league gave us instant replay, so you could limit the mistakes and how severe the penalty was if you got them wrong. This is no different. I'm not advocating change the rule midseason, the coaches should know the rules. But looking ahead, I think it's a rule that should be addressed in the offseason and changed.

You watch, I betcha it gets changed.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
I don't hold the league responsible for Swartz's ineptitude...it's just back luck...this wasn't even the first time that this came up this season and he still ****ed it up...it's on the head coach and only the head coach and I'll betcha even he knows it is.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
You know, refs make mistakes too, there were too many occasions where it was costing games. So the league gave us instant replay, so you could limit the mistakes and how severe the penalty was if you got them wrong. This is no different. I'm not advocating change the rule midseason, the coaches should know the rules. But looking ahead, I think it's a rule that should be addressed in the offseason and changed.

You watch, I betcha it gets changed.
They could change the auto review part for scoring plays now and it wouldn't effect anything going forward except the injustice
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This needs to be changed, it is too easy to abuse. In a situation when a TD is called on the field that you think will be overturned, you throw the red rag, take the 15 yard penalty on the kickoff but keep the TD.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 PM   #12
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

If your team scored a TD on a play that was called in error, could the HC throw his flag to stop a challenge and keep the TD? In other words, could Kubiak have thrown his flag if Schwartz didn't?
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
USMCBladerunner
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Danny Trevathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
This needs to be changed, it is too easy to abuse. In a situation when a TD is called on the field that you think will be overturned, you throw the red rag, take the 15 yard penalty on the kickoff but keep the TD.
interesting...and I think you are right...it needs to be fixed for sure then, if you are...
Old 11-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #14
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Excellent point / good thinking
Old 11-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Sure the coach was wrong but how on earth does is make sense that the ref cant go make the correct call? Give him a penalty after the outcome of the play. But get the call correct.
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #16
titan
Ring of Famer

Fan of Old School Football

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I like the college system better. No challenges - just the booth stopping play if they see a play that needs to be reviewed. It doesn't slow the college game down too much.

The Detroit/Houston game was a good one - one of the better Thanksgiving Day games in recent memory.
titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #17
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

Quote:

Thoughts.

This rule is so rare, not a single person here knew it existed.... Even the coaches may not have known or had forgotten the rule. Now that everyone learned it the hard way it should never happen again. Not a problem IMHO
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
baja
Happy camper

Sweet

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ware

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
This rule is so rare, not a single person here knew it existed.... Even the coaches may not have known or had forgotten the rule. Now that everyone learned it the hard way it should never happen again. Not a problem IMHO
It just happened last week to Atlanta (I think it was them) so many here did know about it. I know I did. It was all over the sports news so no it's not obscure and yes the coaches should have known about it as it
occurred just last week.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #19
Jetmeck
Not a Chief's board

Actually this just happened to Atlanta last week so fix this stupidity.

Throwing the flag by mistake should have nothing whatsoever to do with actually reviewing a scoring play which is another rule.
Jetmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:42 PM   #20
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
This^

The coach is seen walking towards someone saying I was wrong.

PK has sources saying it will be fixed in the next rules committee meetings.

Just like some players did not know games could end in a tie, it is a learning experience.

Everyone thinks that would have been the game winning points.

Texans are 10-1 for a reason. They find ways to win. If those would have been overturned they most likely continue down the field to score. In doing so eaten more clock time.

Yes you are absolutely correct. The coach should know better, IIRC one of our old coaches was quick to throw the flag, he had to resort to putting in his sock, to slow down the process.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:45 PM   #21
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

If the rule is there AND the same thing happened last week, then the entire coaching staff are full of idiots. 1 of them should have known better and handled it correctly instead of pulling the stupid move for a second week in a row. If guys on the mane know all about it, million dollar coaching staffs should as well. You guys are making my point for me.

Last edited by OBF1; 11-22-2012 at 11:54 PM..
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:07 AM   #22
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
Sure the coach was wrong but how on earth does is make sense that the ref cant go make the correct call? Give him a penalty after the outcome of the play. But get the call correct.
When all is said and done, this is what you want. You want the outcome to be the correct call. The PLAY is the most important thing. Any screw up by a coach challenging should be a 15 yard penalty. Heck, if you want to make it even more severe, 15 yards plus a loss of timeout. But get play on the field called correct.

Anybody arguing that the coaches are ignorant for not knowing the rules, well that's not the point. Of course they should know the rules and it's their fault for screwing it up. But that doesn't mean the rule should not be changed next year, and apparently it will be, so I guess that solves that.

Last edited by ZONA; 11-23-2012 at 12:13 AM..
Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 AM   #23
extralife
Ring of Famer

Quote:
what would the coach of the team who scored the TD be challenging, genius? you think the refs are going to allow that?
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #24
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Could someone explain to me exactly whats being talked about? Didn't get to see the game ...
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:28 AM   #25
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by extralife View Post
what would the coach of the team who scored the TD be challenging, genius? you think the refs are going to allow that?
Yeah, I think he outsmarted himself on that comment.