The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default Looking Ahead: Division and Playoffs Tracker

Currently the Broncos sit at 7-3 with 6 games remaining: (*games in progress)

@KC (1-9)
Tampa (6-4)
@Oakland (3-7)
@ Baltimore (8-2)
Cleveland (2-8)
KC (1-9)

Two wins essentially assures us the division, which should not be hard to get with four games against sub .500 teams looming. Looking ahead to the playoff then we currently sit in fourth place out of six teams:

1. Houston (9-1)
2. Baltimore (8-2)
3. New England (7-3)
4. Denver (7-3)
5. Pittsburgh (6-4)
6. Indianapolis (6-4)

I feel pretty confident that the teams currently ranked 1-4 will all make the playoffs in some manner. 5 & 6 could change over the remaining 6 games. The goal for Denver at this point is obviously to elevate their seeding to ensure home games and a bye week. But that could be a tall order.

Houston is essentially 4 games ahead of Denver with them holding the tie breaker based on head-to-head. So while it is not mathematically impossible for us to overtake Houston it is not a likely outcome for us. But with 4 of their final 6 games on the road they could slide a pot or two.

Where it gets interesting for us is in the coming weeks. Houston actually has to travel to New England (12/10) for a Monday Night showdown. Assuming no losses for each tram until that game a win for the Pats makes it that much harder for us to climb up the seeding. The following week (12/16) we take on the Ravens which gives us a big opportunity to overtake them with a win couple with a loss or two more from them.

The Ravens are looking at 4 of their last 5 against Denver, Pittsburgh, the Giants, and Cincinnati, all of which are losable games for them. If we could beat them then I think we stand a really good chance of over taking them in the standings.

New England is another tricky one for us having lost the head-to-head. They face back-to-back games against the Texans and 49ers respectively but both games are at home. They also face Miami twice and the Jets once more. While neither team seems to be able to string wins together, divisional wins are always tough to get. The most I think you can hope for though is two losses out of their remaining games which would put them at 11-5. This means would could only lose one of our remaining games if we still hoped to finish ahead of them, and even then that might be stretch.

Dream Scenario

We win every game and finish Super Bowl Champions!!!

Best case scenario:

-Houston beats the Pats.
-Pats lose another game at some point.
-Ravens lose another game.
-We beat the Ravens and win all but one remaining game and secure the #2 seed.
-Someone knocks off Houston giving us home-field advantage through the playoffs.
Super Bowl Champs!!!

Likely Scenario
Denver has to win three games, two on the road, to reach the Super Bowl. At least then we get a neutral site!

Last edited by JCMElway; 11-19-2012 at 07:47 AM..
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #2
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

It's awesome that we can talk about securing seeding in the playoffs for a change
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #3
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
It's awesome that we can talk about securing seeding in the playoffs for a change
Last year I was just hoping that we would finish with a winning record.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 PM   #4
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Road might get a little easier. Pats lost Gronk for probably about the rest of the regular season.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

No gronk so getting to #2 could be done just by winning in Bmore
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
Road might get a little easier. Pats lost Gronk for probably about the rest of the regular season.
They are expecting to get Hernandez back though. Not the same player but pretty close.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #7
AKBroncofan

Default Going to the super bowl

I promised my wife we would go to the next Super Bowl the Broncos played in. Here we come New Orleans
Old 11-18-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by oubronco View Post
did you forget the broncos had a great opportunity to do the same thing last year before losing their last three games?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
did you forget the broncos had a great opportunity to do the same thing last year before losing their last three games?
I didn't want to piss on anybody's parade and bring that up, but the late Shanahan teams, and then the McDaniel's teams, were both late season folders. I want to see the new Broncos close strong before I start worrying about playoff seeding.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
I didn't want to piss on anybody's parade and bring that up, but the late Shanahan teams, and then the McDaniel's teams, were both late season folders. I want to see the new Broncos close strong before I start worrying about playoff seeding.
yeah and that too...I refuse too look ahead and raise my expectations
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #11
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Not since NE defeated Carolina has the team with the best overall record won the SB......just saying.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Some things working out in our favor. Obviously NE/Balt/PITT dealing w/ injuries down the stretch. Houston traditionally also has injury issues. In his five yrs in Houston, Schaub has only played more than 11 games two of those seasons.

As long as we can stay healthy, run the ball, I think we have a very good chance at 1st or 2nd seed.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #13
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
This is a much more disciplined team. Manning will NOT tolerate a letdown. I think this group of guys love playing with a future legend, and will do anything to win...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM   #14
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
This is a much more disciplined team. Manning will NOT tolerate a letdown. I think this group of guys love playing with a future legend, and will do anything to win...
manning can't control injuries and ****ty play calls on 3rd down
Old 11-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
manning can't control injuries and ****ty play calls on 3rd down
Sure he can he can audible any ****ty play he wants too. In fact some of these ****ty plays you are referring to are probably calls from Manning himself.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Sure he can he can audible any ****ty play he wants too. In fact some of these ****ty plays you are referring to are probably calls from Manning himself.
manning is holding this team back!!

no seriously, the "manning won't let this happen" argument is nonsense
Old 11-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
I am sorry to change the subject I really enjoy reading threads you post, particularly when its frequent. ASSRIFIC is right!
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #18
Hamrob
All-American!

All-American!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpc View Post
Some things working out in our favor. Obviously NE/Balt/PITT dealing w/ injuries down the stretch. Houston traditionally also has injury issues. In his five yrs in Houston, Schaub has only played more than 11 games two of those seasons.

As long as we can stay healthy, run the ball, I think we have a very good chance at 1st or 2nd seed.
Let me set you straight....we have "Zero" chance at the 1-seed!

The Texans are up on us by 2 games and have the tie breaker....meaning they are essentially 3 games up on us with 6 games left to play.

Here's our best case scenario as we sit today:

1. We win out and go 13-3
2. The Pats lose at least 1 more game and go 12-4 at best

In this scenario we will be the #2 seed, having beaten Baltimore and giving them at least their 4th loss.

If we lose another game....the #2 seed will be very difficult to get...especially if that loss is against the Ravens.
Hamrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #19
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

This thing is now all about getting the bye.

13-3 and 12-4 is starting to look like the same thing for the Broncos. I haven't looked at what the conference record will look like, but I'm assuming we'll have the best assuming we beat Baltimore. That game will probably be for the bye, since they'll had beaten the Patriots, we would have beaten them, and the Patriots would have beaten he Broncos. 13-3 would be great for the Broncos; but of course if the Patriots win out we will still be playing week one since we lose the head to head against them.

The thing that could screw it up is if the Texans lose a couple. Just the head to head could screw us if the Broncos, Pats, Ravens and Texans all finish with the same record. We have already lost to the Texans and Patriots and potentially Baltimore.

Gotta get that bye. Winning one game at home against the Pats/Ravens/Steelers and then taking your chances in Houston sounds a hell of a lot better than going to Foxboro in the divisional round.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #20
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll15Hyde View Post
I am sorry to change the subject I really enjoy reading threads you post, particularly when its frequent. ASSRIFIC is right!
You're not changing the subject. I think she is ALWAYS the subject.

Last edited by Bacchus; 11-18-2012 at 11:15 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post

The Texans are up on us by 2 games and have the tie breaker....meaning they are essentially 3 games up on us with 6 games left to play.

In this scenario we will be the #2 seed, having beaten Baltimore and giving them at least their 4th loss.

If we lose another game....the #2 seed will be very difficult to get...especially if that loss is against the Ravens.

I'm calling it right now. San Diego beats the Ravens next week.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 PM   #22
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

If both us, the pats, and ravens win out (except for 1L by Baltimore to us)

We're all tied at 13-3, then it goes to a 3 way tiebreaker, which is?
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #23
Bacchus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggcow View Post
If both us, the pats, and ravens win out (except for 1L by Baltimore to us)

We're all tied at 13-3, then it goes to a 3 way tiebreaker, which is?
Well you can throw out the Pats win against us that is good!! Probably AFC wins.
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #24
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamrob View Post

You can't say that Houston will maintain it's lead without a shadow of a doubt. We have six to play. We've been part of seasons notably under Shanahan where a team is red hot to start the season and crashes late under the weight of expectations and pressure. Hell, look at Shanny's last year at the helm. We found a way to lose four straight and back out of the playoffs.

I see some cracks forming with Houston. The last three games have been dangerously close. Buffalo was in the game 3 weeks ago until the 4th quarter when Houston put it away. Chicago didn't mount much of an offensive attack but it was a close game as well and then hapless Jacksonville comes to town and honestly, this could have easily went Jax's way.

As mentioned, any given sunday mentality in the NFL and with the frailness that the Texans have shown... we really don't know what will happen. They were 10-3 last year when Schaub went down for the regular season. They went on to lose to Carolina, Indy and Tennessee down the stretch finishing 10-6 moving from a 1st round bye to a 1st round matchup with Cincy. I'm not betting on this, but wouldn't be surprised if they drop a few coming down the stretch. Remaining schedule is difficult and on the road including seeing 2nd place Indy two times in three weeks to finish he season:

@ Detroit - Playing on a shortweek, Thanksgiving (Detroit is not a gimme game. Stout interior defense and big play offensive poses a threat to the Texas.)

@ Tennessee - Offense is starting to look better and Chris Johnson is running really well.

@ New England - Big time matchup on the road and in the cold. I imagine something will still be on the line for both teams.

Indianapolis - Divisional game. Indy will be up for this game. The fact that they play two makes it more likely that something crazy could happen.

Minnesota - Not a gimme game by any stretch of the imagination. Vikings still have a formidable defense and this will be a Texas homecoming game for AP. He will be fired up.

@ Indianapolis - All these games are going to be tough contests. I could see this game having more impact than it looks like right now. Playing teams twice in three weeks is going to be a uphill climb.

I'm not betting on the #1 seed but I think it's still up for grabs.
bpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #25
TheChamp24
Future HOF...CHAMP BAILEY

The Legend

Houston just barely escaped a loss to the Jaguars at home, and have a tough road ahead.
That being said, I still see us probably going 11-5 or 12-4. Which could just mean we finish with the 4th seed which is crazy if you think bout it.
TheChamp24 is offline   Reply With Quote