The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #26
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
ypc could be affect by a couple long runs or just look at your example of the Colts Super Bowl why your premise of getting to 4.0 ypc is not really an answer

Running the ball better in short yardage situations is really what you are trying to say which is an area that can be improved no doubt
Average all the long runs and the short runs, and I stick with 4.0 ypc as a goal. I'm not changing it.

I'm looking for a little improvement, nothing major. Hillman needs to get the rock more, and be able to pick up first downs. He has to be able to be depended on....and Willis needs to be rested a little bit more so he can continue to be explosive and concentrate on holding onto the ball.

We are now in the second half of the season with a single-back set. The OL run-blocking needs to step up too...including Dreessen. Like Manning says, everybody needs to continue to improve.

Like I said, if the Broncos can improve to 4.0 ypc, you can find me camping out behind the Superdome until February. If you come searching, please bring some TP.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #27
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Average all the long runs and the short runs, and I stick with 4.0 ypc as a goal. I'm not changing it.

I'm looking for a little improvement, nothing major. Hillman needs to get the rock more, and be able to pick up first downs. He has to be able to be depended on....and Willis needs to be rested a little bit more so he can continue to be explosive and concentrate on holding onto the ball.

We are now in the second half of the season with a single-back set. The OL run-blocking needs to step up too...including Dreessen. Like Manning says, everybody needs to continue to improve.

Like I said, if the Broncos can improve to 4.0 ypc, you can find me camping out behind the Superdome until February. If you come searching, please bring some TP.
Up from 3.86? Pick 22 carries a game. Those extra 3 yards a game will fix the short yaraage situations? Only if those 3 yards are all on 3rd and one which I highly doubt you can use as a basis for 4.0

I will lean on point differentail as a key metric to validate future success and Denver is +9 per game which is 5th in the NFL and a reason why I say the running game is adequate to win the Super Bowl right now

Getting better in short yardage will always be a goal
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #28
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar View Post
ah all the absolutes from the arm chair GMs/HCs..

Think I will allow the real OC on teh team to make those decisions Manning has not failed us so far..
This is my least favorite take on any discussion board.

"Why talk about it? I just trust the Coaches"

The whole point of an NFL discussion board is to play armchair Coach/GM.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:52 AM   #29
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
McGahee is 7th in rushing first downs.
How is he doing on 3rd and short?

That's the stat that matters.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #30
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
Up from 3.86? Pick 22 carries a game. Those extra 3 yards a game will fix the short yaraage situations? Only if those 3 yards are all on 3rd and one which I highly doubt you can use as a basis for 4.0

I will lean on point differentail as a key metric to validate future success and Denver is +9 per game which is 5th in the NFL and a reason why I say the running game is adequate to win the Super Bowl right now

Getting better in short yardage will always be a goal
Actually, the Broncos have been averaging 27 rushes per game. To reach 4.0 ypc by the end of the year (with a 27 rush/game average), the Broncos will have to gain an additional 816 yards on the ground in 190 carries...that's about 4.3 ypc for the remainder of the year...which averages out to 116 ypg rushing. Right now, we are averaging 102 ypg.

I think the additional 14 ypg rushing with the same amount of carries is a good goal. It's an extra half a yard per rush. We would be close to top 12 in rushing, which was Elway's stated goal coming into the year.

If you have any questions about the rushing goal, ask Elway.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #31
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This is my least favorite take on any discussion board.

"Why talk about it? I just trust the Coaches"

The whole point of an NFL discussion board is to play armchair Coach/GM.
I agree but to piss and moan about something you have little. No make that NO control over is silly.

Do not like the coaching talk to Pat or John. I'm sure they already have plans to fix it ASAP, being so absolute about things only makes sure that discussion gets heated. And therapists get Rich.

But go ahead piss and moan all you want. Not going change anything. But then it's maybe Elway is on here sucking up ideas, because he does not have any experience in the game.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #32
lonestar
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Decker

Let me add if I did not think Elway has about the best staff I can remember seeing then I would be making noises.
Just as I did when Mikey was screwing up my team.

Is Fox a tad conservative? Yes but I will take that any day over what Mikey continued to do for close to a decade after winning two rings.
lonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:05 PM   #33
pricejj
jungle

Impressive effort against the #3 overall run defense in the NFL (Chargers). There's obviously a ton of work to do. Gaining zero yards, when all we needed was a 1st down to close out the game is not acceptable. But, at least the deficiencies are front and center.

McGahee was kicking ass early. Hillman, and Ball broke off some good runs when it counted. All you can hope for, is to see improvement from week to week.

Hopefully we can get busy against the Chiefs.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:37 AM   #34
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricejj View Post
Impressive effort against the #3 overall run defense in the NFL (Chargers). There's obviously a ton of work to do. Gaining zero yards, when all we needed was a 1st down to close out the game is not acceptable. But, at least the deficiencies are front and center.

McGahee was kicking ass early. Hillman, and Ball broke off some good runs when it counted. All you can hope for, is to see improvement from week to week.

Hopefully we can get busy against the Chiefs.
No what was unacceptable was the clock manangent Manning and Co showed not running the game clock down to 5 or so on their last two FG drives. Many times the Broncos ran the play with 10-11 seconds left on the clock and that ended up leaving SD 30 seconds and a on side kick away from trying to tie the game.Watching Hillman run onto the field for the play after a timeout was unacceptable

Easily could have made that last drive a moot point with better clock manangment earlier.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #35
Rohirrim
Partisan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

AFAIC, Manning is responsible for the safety. You going to tell me he didn't see Virgil Green matched up on Shaun Phillips? And then he calls a pass play? Peyton was off yesterday. Some of those passes were just plain bad. Fortunately, the Broncos defense kicked ass.
Rohirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
AFAIC, Manning is responsible for the safety. You going to tell me he didn't see Virgil Green matched up on Shaun Phillips? And then he calls a pass play? Peyton was off yesterday. Some of those passes were just plain bad. Fortunately, the Broncos defense kicked ass.
I agree. Manning was off yesterday. Missed a wide open Tamme for what might have been a TD he usally hits those passes

Decker and DT while they caught a TD each with DT's a thing of beauty they too had their drops that would have kept drives alive and how Ball fumbles that 3rd down pass was unbelieveable.

At one point it was 24-9 or basically 24-0 for the defense

Seems the offense or ST puts the ball on the ground 2-3 times a game. This will come back to bite the team later in the year

Holliday scares the heck out of me. It's feast or famine for Holliday

Last edited by CEH; 11-19-2012 at 07:20 AM..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #37
ScottXray
Opinionated A******

We will NOT lose!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Off. CENTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohirrim View Post
Agree that Peyton had a bad ( for him ) game. He was off pace for most of the first half and was overthrowing and lobbing passes. I'm sure HE knew that he was not getting it done and was frustrated with his performance. The Defense absolutely bailed him ( and the O) out the first half by dominating. And even with that performance we lost the time of possession for the whole game by 3 minutes.

McGahee going out seemed to stop any consistancy by the O...but even before that , when M was balling ( 7 for 55), the team was not able to keep drives going, because they went to the pass too much.
ScottXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #38
2KBack
Rumblin' Bumblin'

Cake is delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottXray View Post
Agree that Peyton had a bad ( for him ) game. He was off pace for most of the first half and was overthrowing and lobbing passes. I'm sure HE knew that he was not getting it done and was frustrated with his performance. The Defense absolutely bailed him ( and the O) out the first half by dominating. And even with that performance we lost the time of possession for the whole game by 3 minutes.

McGahee going out seemed to stop any consistancy by the O...but even before that , when M was balling ( 7 for 55), the team was not able to keep drives going, because they went to the pass too much.
MY issue was with the type of passes they were. Everything was within a few yards of the line of scrimmage....The strength of SD defense in my opinion. On TV I couldn't see the secondary play, but it looked to me like SD was daring us to take shots.
2KBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:31 AM   #39
pricejj
jungle

Quote:
No what was unacceptable was the clock manangent .
Yeah, I noticed the poor clock management a couple times, too...

At least both Hillman and Ball were able to get some confidence against a good Defense. The Chiefs game gives us an opportunity to work on the run game a little more than we would otherwise be afforded.

The Broncos need to start figuring out how to put away games on the ground...and dominate opponents. They really are in a great position to start learning how to play with the lead, and begin to close out the schedule.