The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default Shanahan's record the last 5 seasons: 38-51

I decided to go back and look at how Shanahan has done since Gary Kubiak left him. I remember the offense not feeling the same and when we played the Texans in 2007 thinking "they look more like the Broncos than we do anymore." So that got me to thinking, what has Shanahan done without Kubiak?

Well he's 38-51 as of his most recent game.

His teams ranked on offense by year.

Den 2006: 21st in yards 17th in points
Den 2007: 11th yards 21st in points
Den 2008: 2nd yards 16th in points
Was 2010: 18 in yards 25th in points
Was 2011: 16th in yards 26th in points
Was 2012: 7th in yards 11th in points

His teams on defense:
Den 2006: 14th in yards 8th in points
Den 2007: 19th in yards 28th in points
Den 2008: 29th in yards 30th in points
Was 2010: 31st in yards 21st in points
Was 2011: 13th in yards 21st in points
Was 2012: 28th in yards 21st in points

Gary Kubiak hasn't done THAT much better. He's 55-50 as the Texans head coach. However he's only had two losing seasons there, and his last three years his offense and defense have both finished in the top ten.

I'm not doing this to slam Shanahan or to give Lonestar and excuse to type Tanahan fifty million times. I am just wondering if Shanny is Kubes as Ditka was to Ryan - perhaps he was his muse.

That said, Griffin has a chance to preserve Shanny's career a bit longer, but if it doesn't turn around next year, or if the rest of the year ends badly, I think Shanahan's career as a head coach will be in jeopardy.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
rbackfactory80
Ring of Famer

I hate to say it but I think he is a natural offensive coordinator. He doesn't deal well with all the other stuff.

Also, players just don't like him anymore. The luster of his rings has worn off and players don't believe he can take them to that place so they wont put up with his my way or the highway attitude. In fact, most of his current day players probably never even saw Elway play during his actual career.
rbackfactory80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Gary Kubiak hasn't done THAT much better. He's 55-50 as the Texans head coach. However he's only had two losing seasons there, and his last three years his offense and defense have both finished in the top ten.
I will just point out, in fairness to Kubiak the Texans were young and rebuilding when he took over and it took him 2 years to get them straight right?

The indictment on shanahan, is that this is his 3rd year and he will be lucky to pull off a 6-10 season with no progress. Injuries? Sure, but every team deals with them and the colts were supposed to have much less talent than the skins and look what a brand new coaching staff is doing there.

Jay Glazer said Snyder is not happy with shanny's postgame comments after the carolina game. He's on the clock for that 5th year now and if next year starts this bad he will be gone by mid year.
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

lol

3 years ago many claimed "he'd never coach in the NFL again".

Fact is: The guy remains in the best in the business. He inherited a complete mess at every level of the organization, complete with over a hundred million invested in Albert ****ing Haynesworth. Now you see a responsible organization building great depth with a LOT of budding superstars from Griffin to Kerrigan to Fred Davis to Orakpo etc... and speaking of the last two, he's fielding a team in the most competitive division in the NFL (or close) that's competing at a very high level with a handful of their best players on the IR.

Imagine if we lost OUR best pass rusher, OUR top two best receiving options, our best DL and more.

The discussion is nonsense and I will not hear it.

Si-lence! Not hear it, I say!
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 PM   #5
jerseyboiler120

If Shanny would have stayed as our coach and not been given all the other responsibilities we would have another lombardi or two. Almost did with the bearded snake as our QB.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
wolf754life
Anti Homer Board Director

Sunshine and Rainbows Fanboys

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Jack Del erious

he should be fired
wolf754life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
errand
Ring of Famer

Forgot more than you'll ever know

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
lol

3 years ago many claimed "he'd never coach in the NFL again".

Fact is: The guy remains in the best in the business. He inherited a complete mess at every level of the organization, complete with over a hundred million invested in Albert ****ing Haynesworth. Now you see a responsible organization building great depth with a LOT of budding superstars from Griffin to Kerrigan to Fred Davis to Orakpo etc... and speaking of the last two, he's fielding a team in the most competitive division in the NFL (or close) that's competing at a very high level with a handful of their best players on the IR.

Imagine if we lost OUR best pass rusher, OUR top two best receiving options, our best DL and more.

The discussion is nonsense and I will not hear it.

Si-lence! Not hear it, I say!
Oh, stop it!

He's won one solitary playoff game since Elway hung them up....I mean ****, Dan Reeves got to a SB with ****ing Chris Chandler and won a playoff game with the Giants as well. Mike hasn't given anyone a reason to think he's still a "great" coach nowadays....he was a great coach, but he's no longer a great coach. See how that works?

Mike's place in Broncos history will always be there....but the truth is he's no longer the "genius" he seemed. Guess everyone looks great when they have a Hall of Fame QB running the offense...

Tom Landry was the greatest coach in Cowboys history...doesn't mean he didn't deserve to be fired when he went 13-30 over his last 3 seasons.....Mike deserved to be fired after he went 24-24 over his last 3 seasons, and he'll be canned again if he doesn't get the Redskins back to the playoffs soon.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #8
errand
Ring of Famer

As for Kubiak, the main difference is he hasn't neglected his defense the past few seasons....and is now 8-1 and may lead them to the SB because of it.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

McDaniels nuthuggers unite!
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf754life View Post
he should be fired
You should start a website.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Says the first & only one to mention him in a thread about Shanahan.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Lol. There is surely no correlation between Shanny bashers and McD ballgarglers.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #13
errand
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
He's trying to make hay that anyone who thought Mike deserved to be fired is a McDaniels fan.

Wade Phillips said it best..."there's two kinds of coaches...those that have been fired and those that are going to be..."

Again, Mike was a great coach back in the day....now? Not so much....
Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Lol. There is surely no correlation between Shanny bashers and McD ballgarglers.
Come on doc.

Shanny was great once and with the help of a few HOF players won a couple of SBs for the Broncos. Thanks Mike!

Kaylore has pointed out his record since Kubes left. It's not they record of a good coach and half of that record was complied in Denver where he had coached for many a year so if he inhearted a mess it's his mess.

Mike has lost it if there are any nut huggers here it's Shanny's nuts that are being hugged.

Name one McD fan left here, just one.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #15
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Mike utilized the tools at his disposal, including Elway and Kubiak. So what? It in now way dimishes what he accomplished in Denver.

Shanahan will always have a special place in Bronco history, and that's enough for me. I will never forget the feeling after Denver won the first one, and Shanahan had a lot to do with that. Don't really care how successfull (or not) he is outside of Denver.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #16
bpc
"Nemo Me Impune Lacessit"

1 sword keeps another in the sheath

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Shanny is not w/o flaws but still a great coach. Needs a GM though.
bpc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #17
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyboiler120 View Post
If Shanny would have stayed as our coach and not been given all the other responsibilities we would have another lombardi or two. Almost did with the bearded snake as our QB.
Given what other responsibilities? He demanded them and THAT was his problem.

Quote:
As for Kubiak, the main difference is he hasn't neglected his defense the past few seasons....and is now 8-1 and may lead them to the SB because of it.
Exactly. Not Shanahan's only problem, but probably his biggest.

And I don't remember anyone saying he would never coach in this league again after he was fired. I remember them saying he probably wouldn't coach for the next year and he didn't. And if he's the best in the business with records of 6-10, 5-11, and 3-6, then John Fox must be Vince Lombardi with the mess he inherited.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #18
baja
Headmaster

The Fixer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
C J Anderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Given what other responsibilities? He demanded them and THAT was his problem.

Exactly. Not Shanahan's only problem, but probably his biggest.

And I don't remember anyone saying he would never coach in this league again after he was fired. I remember them saying he probably wouldn't coach for the next year and he didn't. And if he's the best in the business with records of 6-10, 5-11, and 3-6, then John Fox must be Vince Lombardi with the mess he inherited.

What is really funny is the diehard Shanny fans that think he's still the greatest thing since answering machines pointing to some mystery nut huggers of some long gone personality when the real first class nut hugger is the image in their mirror.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Quote:
Um, hiring McD was a bad choice. That doesn't mean firing Shanahan was too. They aren't mutually inclusive. And since when am I ballgargler for McD? That's such a crap argument.

"Shanahan hasn't coached well the last half decade."

"You must love McDaniels!"

Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #20
Kaylore
I am secretly Chrissy

AND Bob

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What's more disappointing is it took Fox and Elway one offseason - and an abbreviated one at that - to win just as many playoff games as Shanahan did his entire time without Elway. That's with a full back playing QB and the same supposed "financial constraints" that Bowlen supposedly put on Shanahan but someone only he found out about but the rest of the local media and reporters caught no wind of.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
What's more disappointing is it took Fox and Elway one offseason - and an abbreviated one at that - to win just as many playoff games as Shanahan did his entire time without Elway. That's with a full back playing QB and the same supposed "financial constraints" that Bowlen supposedly put on Shanahan but someone only he found out about but the rest of the local media and reporters caught no wind of.
I said I would not hear it! Now good day, sir!

I SAID GOOD DAY, SIR.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #22
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
^ The truth! It was spoken here.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:39 PM   #23
Broncomutt
Looking for

the Sunflower Samurai

He's got a 70 year old 1000 yard stare.
Broncomutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #24
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Every time McD hatred consumes you just remind yourself that thanks to that little douchebag we have our best defensive player (Von Miller) and our best offensive player not named PMFM (DT). Hell, for that matter, without McD we'd still have that loser Cutler and wouldn't even have PMFM right now!
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Saw this anecdote in Peter King's column today, sorry if it's a repost:

And this from the feud between the late Al Davis -- who fired Mike Shanahan as coach of the Raiders after only 20 games, and balked at paying him the $250,000 remaining on his contract:

Prior to a Raiders-Niners game in 1994, when Shanahan was San Francisco's offensive coordinator, Shanahan admitted directing Steve Young to throw a football at Davis on the field during pregame warmups. Davis had wandered to the 49ers side of the field during warmups to check the team out. Players were complaining to Shanahan about it. Myers got Shanahan, now the Washington coach, to tell him the story inside his Redskins office recently.

Writes Myers:
"Guys, we'll win the game, don't worry about it. Don't let him bother you," Shanahan said.
The end of the 49ers' pregame drill took them back to their own 5-yard line. Davis was standing 35 yards away. "Hey, get him out of there," the players said to Shanahan. Shanahan was pissed at Davis for disrupting his pregame routine. And surely he was still pissed at him for not paying him the $250,000. "Now I started thinking. Okay, so we got one more play left," Shanahan said.

Shanahan is telling this story seated behind his desk at Redskins Park. It's a quiet spring day, but suddenly he's animated. On the sideline, Shanahan's face gets red, and it looks like the veins are about to pop out of his neck when he gets mad. Off the field, you rarely see his emotional side. But he had no use for Davis. Davis had embarrassed him by firing him almost without giving him a chance, and during that pregame Shanahan wanted to put a scare into his nemesis. Shanahan came up with the idea of how to send Davis back to his side of the field and needed one of his quarterbacks to be his accomplice. Young said he was more than happy to oblige.

"Throw a go route," Shanahan told Young. "If you happen to hit that guy in the white outfit with the ball, you won't make me mad." The receiver was Jerry Rice. He ran the go route. Shanahan didn't really want to drill Davis. But if it happened, maybe he would never stand on the 49ers' side of the field again. Of course, if he hit Davis, Shanahan would never get his $250,000. Young dropped back to pass. He threw the ball in Davis' direction. Rice, whom Shanahan did not bring into the loop on this little bit of mischief, was running downfield, looking up for the ball. He was not looking at Davis. He didn't see Davis. Shanahan saw the ball. He saw the receiver. He saw Davis. All three were about to occupy the same spot. Shanahan thought Davis saw the ball coming. He did not.

"Oh, my God," Shanahan said. "I wanted to scare him. I didn't want to kill him." The ball and the receiver were closing in on Davis. "Al realizes that the ball and everybody is coming at him about five yards before there is going to be contact," Shanahan said. "I think he's going to be run over. And he dives; he actually dives out of the way. Well, half of our players see what happens, and they are all laughing." Young drilled Davis in the leg.

It was not surprising that he found his target. Young completed 64.3 percent of his passes in his career. "Ten years after this happened, I was walking out of a stadium on a Monday night, and Al came up to me," Young said. "He told me that he knew it was me." Young told Davis that he was ashamed of himself, more so than with anything else he had ever done. He then sent him a letter of apology.

Shanahan is so fired up that he gets out of his seat to finish the story. He loves this story. It was revenge. He explains in great detail Davis diving on the grass at Candlestick Park, getting to his feet, his hair falling down in front of his face. Davis stared him down from 35 yards away and gave him the middle finger.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2C4U4kGRS
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote