The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Default What will it take to get a bye?

If we can win this week, I think we finish 12-4 or 13-3. I actually think we could run the table but you have to think we will slip up somewhere

Home games: KC, SD, TB, Cleveland
Road games: Carolina, KC, Oakland, Baltimore

Win this Sunday, get to 6-3 I don't see 2 losses on the schedule the rest of the way. The question is does 12-4 get us a bye? Considering we don't have the tiebreaker against NE or Houston I don't know. Neither of them have real hard schedules and Houston would have to go 4-4 to finish 11-5. I don't see that happening.
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
hades
Dallas biggest Bronco fan

Location: They've done studies you know.... 60% of the time, it works every time

All Denver needs to worry about is winning the AFC West, the rest will work out just fine.
hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Somehow I thought the TB game was away. Since it's a home game it doesn't look as much a potential loss as I had though.

This week may be the toughest game left.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

We don't need to get ahead of both HOU and NE, just one of them. Luckily, they play each other. NE also plays SF, which could easily be a loss. I think we can drop one game and still have a good chance of getting a bye.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
v2micca
Perennial Pro-bowler

I was actually discussing this with my brother the other day. I think it would take a 13-3 record from the Broncos to get either the Number 1 or Number 2 seed in the AFC.

Assuming we went 12-4, I think the most likely loss would be at Baltimore in week 15. That would put us on the losing side of head to head tie-breakers with the 3 most likely teams to also be vying for the post season bye week, i.e. New England, Houston, and Baltimore. Given that I expect at least two of those teams to finish with a 12-4 record or better, we may have to be content in just taking our division and hoping for a good run in the Play-offs.
v2micca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

No worries. We're not going to lose again until Fall 2013.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #7
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Baltimore's schedule is like ours, but backwards. They've played CLE twice, KC, and get OAK this week. After this week, they get PIT, SD, PIT, WAS, DEN, NYG, CIN.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Meanwhile, PIT's schedule is pretty easy from here on out. I'd be surprised if Baltimore hangs on to win the AFCN.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
RedskinBronco
Ring of Famer

shoot for 12-4. That should wrap up a top 2 seed and avoid having to travel to NE or PITT. Not worried about traveling to Houston...

13-3 is not what I want because the Broncos will lose once more at least and I do not want it to be in the playoffs. Ideally, run off a few more wins and maybe drop one late in the year and refocus for what matters...
RedskinBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #10
LetsGoBroncos
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
We don't need to get ahead of both HOU and NE, just one of them. Luckily, they play each other. NE also plays SF, which could easily be a loss. I think we can drop one game and still have a good chance of getting a bye.
Right, that was kinda my question. If we were to finish 12-4 do we think NE will lose 2 more games?
LetsGoBroncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:09 AM   #11
Rother8
Seasoned Veteran

Mhmugggggeeeee

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Texans remaining schedule:
5 of the last 8 are on the road. The Colts are getting hot and the Patriots and Bears are on there too so we'll see. They'd need to lose 3 of the 8 and Denver would need to win out to get the higher seed.

AT BEARS
JAGUARS
AT LIONS
AT TITANS
AT PATRIOTS
COLTS
VIKINGS
AT COLTS

Patriots (5-3) last 8 games:

Bills
Colts
@Jets
@Dolphins
Texans
49ers
@Jags
Dolphins

Basically Denver could maybe afford to lose one game and go 12-4, but it would probably take the Pats losing twice from here on out. If we could run the table, it looks good to me but AFCW is way more realistic.
Rother8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:10 AM   #12
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoBroncos View Post
Right, that was kinda my question. If we were to finish 12-4 do we think NE will lose 2 more games?
I think they'll lose to both HOU and SF. I also think we won't lose again.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:50 AM   #13
NFLBRONCO
Ring of Famer

Go Nuggets Go Lakers

I see these as our toughest games Car Balt SD. To get a bye we'd need to only lose 1 game or win out would be better. We don't have head to head with either NE or Hou so that could drop us to third seed. I think its too early to talk about bye. Oak might be a challenge short week road game.
NFLBRONCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #14
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

lets just worry about getting in? Lets just play great football at the end of the season and the rest will play itself out. Ask the Giants how much byes and home field matter
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Al Wilson
Perennial Pro-bowler

We have to win out. I think the Broncos and Patriots will be 1 - 2 in the AFC
Al Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
canadianbroncosfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
lets just worry about getting in? Lets just play great football at the end of the season and the rest will play itself out. Ask the Giants how much byes and home field matter
I agree with this. Wild Card Weekend, Divisional Games, I don't care.

That being said, anyone else think that a win next week and the AFC west is pretty much ours?

Assuming we both win this week, a win next week and we're 7-3 and SD would be 5-5 which is essentially three games behind us as they'd lose the head to head. Mathematically I understand it wouldn't be wrapped up but I think from a realist point of view it would be.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #17
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbroncosfan View Post
Assuming we both win this week, a win next week and we're 7-3 and SD would be 5-5 which is essentially three games behind us as they'd lose the head to head. Mathematically I understand it wouldn't be wrapped up but I think from a realist point of view it would be.
I can't believe a Broncos fan would say this, after what's happened in just the last 5 years.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #18
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga

"Not too shabby."

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Bradley Roby

It would be really tough. Right now New England and Houston both hold tiebreaker advantages. Both the Pats and Texans have a couple of tough games each, but overall fairly weak schedules (like the Broncos). To get a bye Denver absolutely has to beat Baltimore and go 12-4.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:21 PM   #19
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja View Post
Somehow I thought the TB game was away. Since it's a home game it doesn't look as much a potential loss as I had though.

This week may be the toughest game left.
You are forgetting At Baltimore. Have we ever won there? That is one of probably 2 losses. Run the table in the West is the most important. If we get the 3rd seed, we will play the weakest wild card team at home. We also would play the #2 seed the following week with a home win. WHile the #3 seed doesn't get a bye, it sure is important on the following two weeks of play. Also important to have Patriots slip below us. They would need to do that by a full game since they beat us earlier in the season.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:22 PM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
I can't believe a Broncos fan would say this, after what's happened in just the last 5 years.
exactly! As I was reading this post, I had a horrible flash back of that season. 3 games up with 3 to go...and ****ed up.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
You are forgetting At Baltimore. Have we ever won there? That is one of probably 2 losses. Run the table in the West is the most important. If we get the 3rd seed, we will play the weakest wild card team at home. We also would play the #2 seed the following week with a home win. WHile the #3 seed doesn't get a bye, it sure is important on the following two weeks of play. Also important to have Patriots slip below us. They would need to do that by a full game since they beat us earlier in the season.

I think we beat Bmore because they have given us fits and Payton and the rest of the team knows that The whole team will be up big time for that game.

Last edited by baja; 11-09-2012 at 12:26 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 12:26 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Manning changes things. Maybe the other QBs we had couldn't beat a much younger D but, with Manning and the aging Ravens D we have a solid chance.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
Heyneck
Ring of Famer

RIP Tripplets!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I don't know about a bye... but if we win out we should have a great chance at that. For me, our biggest test will be the ravens. It's about time we beat them again! What was our last win against them? 2006? The game were Tatum Bell carried Ray Lewis on his back? Hate the Rat Birds!!!
Heyneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #24
BroncoBeavis

I think 12-4 gets it done. 11-5 not likely because of that hth loss against the Pats. Maybe if the Steelers managed to make it a 3-way tie with the Pats it might cancel out the head to head. But it'd be a crap shoot who gets the #2 then. And it's not likely the Texans are dropping to 11-5 or below (looking at their schedule)

Last edited by BroncoBeavis; 11-09-2012 at 01:06 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 PM   #25
baja
Pat Bowlen

The best owner ever

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chase Vaughn

Memo; The Broncos are 5 and 3

Before we get a bye let's get into the playoffs.